Guest davidwhangchoi

Nintendo Playstation (SNES CD by Sony)

i remember reading about this then it got canned... i think EGM magazine back then was the best editorial out there with Steve Harris at the helm.

damn, i can't believe this exists.

Last I heard, he's trying to find an appropriate power adapter. Apparently it didn't have one. If this thing is real, can you imagine how much he can get for it?

At least 2k monies.

But man, if that was mine, it'd be my regular Super Nintendo. People'd come over, be all "the hell is that?!" and Id just be "a Nintendo. Wanna play Mario Kart?"

At least 2k monies.

But man, if that was mine, it'd be my regular Super Nintendo. People'd come over, be all "the hell is that?!" and Id just be "a Nintendo. Wanna play Mario Kart?"

I actually wonder how it'd handle PS1 software. While no doubt it"s much less powerfup than a PS1, I still wonder if it'd recognize the discs. Being a test system may nullify any carts or discs though. But still a nice curiosity.

I actually wonder how it'd handle PS1 software. While no doubt it"s much less powerfup than a PS1, I still wonder if it'd recognize the discs. Being a test system may nullify any carts or discs though. But still a nice curiosity.

It's a fundamentally different platform than the PS1. I can basically guarantee it's incompatible.

It's a fundamentally different platform than the PS1. I can basically guarantee it's incompatible.

Obviously, but it's still a prototupe. Recognizing game names at the pre-load UI would be magical enough.

Obviously, but it's still a prototupe. Recognizing game names at the pre-load UI would be magical enough.

It's a prototype of a different system, namespace collision aside.

Also, I don't think PS1 games have a name encoded for display, given that's not a function available on the PS1.

You'd most likely get a "this is for the wrong system" error, since the disk is a CD-ROM, but not an SNES CD game.

Incidentally, this prototype was also intended to take "SuperDisk" cassettes, which contained the CD in a caddy with an IC mounted for game saves and production control. Not naked CDs.

(Though as with many CD players of the era, an audio disk or foreign system disk could be loaded into a caddy for playback, as evidenced by the CD player controls on top of the system).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey, as long as this thread is floating near the top, I might as well mention that the Mega Man Legacy Collection is available now.

EDIT: Nevermind. I mean, yeah, it is available. But it feels sort of off, and I say this as someone who's played the NES versions probably hundreds of times, played the NES ROMs on emulators for Windows, Mac, Android, PSP, and Dreamcast, the PS2 Anniversary Collection, Virtual Console versions on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS, and the PlayStation Store Japanese PSone versions on the PS3. It's hard to say exactly how they're off, but I'm making a lot of mistakes and generally finding it more difficult than normal. For games that require precise timing and muscle reflexes, that's hard to get past. Even if it were spot on, well, it's sort of bare bones. You can try some challenges, and you can read character and enemy profiles/view some art, but it's basically the six NES Mega Man games with none of the extras like Navi mode or the remixed music from the Anniversary Collection (or, for that matter, MM7-8 or the arcade games). I mean, maybe get it on sale if you really want to play it on whatever platform without resorting to emulators, but I'll probably stick to other versions.

Edited by mikeszekely

• 1 month later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

i was recently playing streets of rage (bare knuckles) and remembering this going head to head with final fight snes. (genesis vs. snes) and reading EGM re: # of on screen characters. # of moves sets. etc.

Street fighter 3rd strike via the iFinalBurn Alpha emulator is what I'm rocking on my phone.

Every now and again I also jump online to get schooled on 3rd Strike via FightCade.

I run Linux at home and FightCade works great on it and OSX, so f you are into fighting games I strongly recommend it.

Guest davidwhangchoi

havent used my iphone for gaming too much to save batteries.

sega vs. nintendo

i always thought sega's version was better in contrast to this review

I probably should have posted this with along with my plug for SF3:

EDIT: Forgive me, I tried to make the link above, but failed miserably. Still a forum n00b, so not sure what I need to do to get youtube embedding to work. Oh well...

2x EDIT: Thanks to davidwhangchoi / akteon for the hint on

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=42314#entry1231368

Edited by Mazinger

Here's an update on the Nintendo Playstation prototype: The Diebolds got a power supply and finally turned on their Nintendo Playstation. The good news is that it works, but now without a few hiccups. Kudos to Engadget for taking lots of pictures.

And here's a nice addendum from someone who analyzed Engadget's pictures of system's PCB's, in which he makes some compelling arguments as what the system can and cannot do. Fascinating stuff!

Guest davidwhangchoi

So is that using a Genesis instead of an SNES?

hey mod david it's from the Area 88 Original Soundtrack/capcom music generation cd released in 2006.

b0006633_4ccb84f9658e2.jpg

it has the arcade and snes versions with one arranged track.

-Tracklist-
Area 88 Arcade Version
01 CREDIT
02 PLAYER Select
03 SHOP
04 Oil Field Base ~ ROUND 1
05 Land Battle ~ BOSS 1
06 ROUND CLEAR
07 Thunder Cloud ~ ROUND 2 / 07_Thunder_Cloud_~_ROUND_2.mp3
08 Sky Battle ~ BOSS 2
09 Forest Fortress ~ ROUND 3
10 Fortress ~ BOSS 3
11 Desert ~ ROUND 4
12 Ground Carrier ~ BOSS 4
13 Canyon ~ ROUND 5
14 EMERGENCY
15 SPECIAL ROUND
16 Cave ~ ROUND 6
17 Rising ~ ROUND 7
18 Maritime ~ ROUND 8
19 Battleship ~ BOSS 5
20 GAME OVER
21 Arsenal ~ ROUND 9
22 Last Battle ~ ROUND 10
23 LAST ROUND CLEAR
24 ENDING & STAFF ROLL
25 LAST RANKING
26 Unused Tune
27 Thunder Cloud ~ Arrange Version
Area 88 Super Famicom Version
28 Opening
29 Start
30 Player Select - Strategy
31 Shop
32 Front Line Base
33 BOSS
34 Mission Clear
35 Forest Fortress
36 Forest Fortress BOSS
37 Ground Carrier - Cave
38 Battleship Minsk
39 Air Force Division
40 Air Force Division BOSS - Project 4 Fortress BOSS
41 Supply Unit
42 Nuclear Submarine Seavet
43 Canyon
44 Project 4 Fortress
45 Last BOSS
46 Mission Complete
47 Ending - Staff Roll
48 THANK YOU FOR YOUR PLAYING!! (YOU ARE CRAZY)
49 Game Over
Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

The SFC/ SNES version will always be the best,

i like! wondering if i should look into star fox zero... it looks cheap for a wii u game.

some more retro tunes for background while browsing:

tmnt (nes)

i liked this soundtrack but the game was hard.

I was thinking of getting a Retron 5, but then I heard about the GPD XD (http://www.willgoo.com/gpd-xd-pocket-gaming-tablet-rk3288-quadcore-5-ips-p-637.html), and realized I'd rather retro game on the go (a huge plus for the commute). Has anybody got any experience with the device. I know it's basically an Android tablet, and that it's pretty good (as far as the internet reviews go), and that's pretty much it.