Yamato 1/60 Regult w/ pilot

EXO

Maybe it's just me, but I find the Regult sculpt to be a tad... Underwhelming? The eye is too small relative to the pod, and they adopted some wonky curvatures in some places. Just my two quatloos...

That was my first thought upon seeing the pic. It's kinda ugly. Something is not right.

It's hard to say from that small low quality picture but I can see why the zipper would generate complaints. It looks totally out of scale IMO, like they just put a child's clothing zipper on it and called it a day. For the price people probably expect high end 1/6th scale equipment from the likes of Hot Toys or others (maybe even better because of Yamato's reputation?).

It's hard to say from that small low quality picture but I can see why the zipper would generate complaints. It looks totally out of scale IMO, like they just put a child's clothing zipper on it and called it a day. For the price people probably expect high end 1/6th scale equipment from the likes of Hot Toys or others (maybe even better because of Yamato's reputation?).

Based on quality verses price on recent Macross items, I expect the zipper to jam more than the one on a sleeping bag or a tent.

Hate to say it but I doubt that the zipper will be very functional.

We're talking about a cartoon made in the 80s.

Yeah because people in the `80s were dumber and worse at drawing aswell as having less money for drawing good. :rolleyes:

Actually in the `80s in Japan there was more money, passion and freedom in the anime industry than at any other time in history. Look closely at anime then and now, sure stuff now is more polished but it`s also more homogenised, safer and generic. You will never see scenes as detailed and well animated in TV as stuff like Roys last dogfight or the combat inside Macross city between Max and Millia these days. Sure some of it was inconsistant and some episodes of SDFM were rushed and Studio Nue were just getting started in the industry and were a bit amateurish back then , but look at how much stuff MOVES and how much added details there is in most of SDF Macross then look at how much stuff moves in modern anime, not much, it may not have anime friend episodes but its also bland and tasteless.

oh and my 2 cents on the Regult debacle, I paid full price for a Millia since I only collect 1/60 DYRL, its not a great toy but looks okay displayed, if no regular 1/60 regult toy is coming out in the near future fine by me, I cant really afford it anyway, just as long as one comes out before I`m 80 years old, no rush.

edit, actually all you people complaining about the price of the HDPE kit but at the same time so obviously desperately wanting a 1/60 Regult should just get a proxy in Japan to get if for you, its not just for the rich, all you need is a credit card and regular people drop way way more cash on their hobbies than that every day. If Yamato is your only vice then thank God because some people I know are spending that much on pairs of shoes, jackets or jeans. Its all about what makes you the most happy, I have too many hobbies and am never satisfied with any of them because I`m not rich, if Macross is your only hobby then there are far worse things you could max your credit card out on than an 1/2000 SDF 1 or a 1/60 Regult exclusive, think how happy it will make you. DO IT.

Edited by Lott Sheen

Yeah because people in the `80s were dumber and worse at drawing aswell as having less money for drawing good. :rolleyes:

Megatron, a huge robot, transformed into a tiny revolver. I'm not saying the artists of Transformers didn't understand perspective/scale, or didn't have funding, or were bad at drawing. I'm saying they just didn't care. They were making a dumb cartoon to sell toys to kids and never expected to be launching a legendary franchise that grown adults would be taking seriously, questioning the realism of, and trying to rationalize 30 years later.

I dunno, I guess I just notice a lot more anime magic the further back in time you go. When super transforming robot cartoons first started coming out in the 80s, relatively little consistency was given to things like scale and transformation mechanics. The creators generally took things like realism less seriously.

What's your real point here? That the scaling in SDFM was accurate because artists in the 80s were just as talented/schooled/funded as artists today? It makes more sense to you to rationalize solutions to SDFM scale discrepancies by coming up with ways for the Zentrans to Micronize themselves fractionally to fit into under-sized mecha? How do you rationalize Valks changing scale from one scene to another?

Wow, are we going way back to the WAVE SDF-1 not having knee joints? The guy's argument really boiled down to the fact the WAVE was over-priced for a toy with such a simple transformation and essentially no articulation. I think the Bandai Macross Quarter toy essentially proved him right.

With Macross being a tiny bit revisionist by nature, I think we could probably extrapolate from the Quarter's fancy moves that the SDF-1 had a bit more articulation than most of us think (and potentially would prefer).

Edited by jenius

Megatron, a huge robot, transformed into a tiny revolver. I'm not saying the artists of Transformers didn't understand perspective/scale, or didn't have funding, or were bad at drawing. I'm saying they just didn't care. They were making a dumb cartoon to sell toys to kids and never expected to be launching a legendary franchise that grown adults would be taking seriously, questioning the realism of, and trying to rationalize 30 years later.

er that was Transformers, a show I have very little respect for. There were many many hardcore SF shows from the `80s were accuracy, realism and scaling was very well done and paid attention to -> see shows like Layzner, Orguss, Z Gundam etc. Transformers wasnt part of the real robot genre. Macross suffered I think from an inexperienced staff who didnt know how to spread the budget and manage time, then again we had some incredibly detailed and fluid high frame rate sequences in Macross that were better than anything in any other anime on TV then or since. In the `80s they cared, very much, it was much more passionate than the safe homogenised cell shaded anime today.

I dunno, I guess I just notice a lot more anime magic the further back in time you go. When super transforming robot cartoons first started coming out in the 80s, relatively little consistency was given to things like scale and transformation mechanics. The creators generally took things like realism less seriously.

I think you`re wrong, there are many super realistic robot shows from the `80s, many more than now.

What's your real point here? That the scaling in SDFM was accurate because artists in the 80s were just as talented/schooled/funded as artists today? It makes more sense to you to rationalize solutions to SDFM scale discrepancies by coming up with ways for the Zentrans to Micronize themselves fractionally to fit into under-sized mecha? How do you rationalize Valks changing scale from one scene to another?

again, time constraints, rush jobs, having to farm out work to then amateurish Korean studios.

er that was Transformers, a show I have very little respect for. There were many many hardcore SF shows from the `80s were accuracy, realism and scaling was very well done and paid attention to -> see shows like Layzner, Orguss, Z Gundam etc.

ZZ_Gundam_Punch.gif

yeah, that's some super accurate, hyper detailed animation right there. :rolleyes:

(I know this is from ZZ, Z gundam had similarly cheap animation moments. I still love both shows.)

With Macross being a tiny bit revisionist by nature, I think we could probably extrapolate from the Quarter's fancy moves that the SDF-1 had a bit more articulation than most of us think (and potentially would prefer).

post-1819-127496244809_thumb.jpg

revisionist? the Miyatake design works shows the Macross having knees, ankles, hips, and shoudlers. but let's not let facts get in the way of nostalgia.

Edited by VF5SS

again, time constraints, rush jobs, having to farm out work to then amateurish Korean studios.

Ok...I'm still trying to understand what your point is here.

So you do agree that the scaling in SDFM is terrible?

Your issue is simply with someone attributing it to the 80s era?...Is that correct?

Dude, I really don't care. If you say it has nothing to do with the 80s era, then I'll trust your expertise. My point is simply that it's kind of ridiculous to be rationalizing the bad scaling of Regults and their pilots in SDFM, and the scale of the new 1/60 toys, by way of fractional macro/micronization and other speculative magical solutions. Unless you are disagreeing with that, then there isn't much to discuss.

post-1819-127496244809_thumb.jpg

revisionist? the Miyatake design works shows the Macross having knees, ankles, hips, and shoudlers. but let's not let facts get in the way of nostalgia.

I think you should have been a part of the SDF-1 thread that was being referenced as I don't think you're understanding the conversation... in fact you're sort of feeding into it. It went something like:

"The SDF-1 should have knees!"

"Why, they couldn't bend!"

"They could bend!"

"To what degree could they bend?"

"They could bend a lot, look at this pic!"

"that pic is just poor animation from a poor angle!"

"RAAAGE!!!!!"

So, I think the people who argued for very limited movement might re-think their argument in light of the Quarter's fancy moves. For the record, I don't remember even being involved in that conversation... it was just fun to watch some members get really heated about it. I don't think it's really here nor there as far as the Regult goes... I think we all agree that thing ought to be pretty nimble.

ZZ_Gundam_Punch.gif

yeah, that's some super accurate, hyper detailed animation right there. :rolleyes:

(I know this is from ZZ, Z gundam had similarly cheap animation moments. I still love both shows.)

I never said ZZ

look at that, beautiful clear animation. Much easier to follow than convoluted over stylised computer action like Macross Frontier too.

Edited by Lott Sheen

look at that, beautiful clear animation. Much easier to follow than convoluted over stylised computer action like Macross Frontier too.

That is good, beautiful and clear, but you don't have to tear down one thing to build another thing up.

Frontier was beautifully animated, imo.

I never said ZZ

Agree. ZZ is NOT Z.

from an animation stand point, they're close enough. (I Just watched Z and I'm watching ZZ right now, animation quality is about the same.)

Yeah, that's a really good example of quality 80's animation, what with most of that footage being new animation from the Zeta movies that came out in 2005/2006. :rolleyes:

Edited by anime52k8

th_someoneswrong.png

I figure you have to take into account you have people that hold everything to standards that only the animation is "canon" and others that the line art is "canon". Sometimes these two meet and sometimes they don't even in modern animation.

from an animation stand point, they're close enough. (I Just watched Z and I'm watching ZZ right now, animation quality is about the same.)

no.

Yeah, that's a really good example of quality 80's animation, what with most of that footage being new animation from the Zeta movies that came out in 2005/2006. :rolleyes:

No its not, its mostly from the original show.

Edited by Lott Sheen

the lineart is proof enough.

Find the old thread and start the fight back up again... I'm pretty sure the argument was between Hurin and some member who probably quit Macrossworld after being berated for thinking the WAVE toy should be poseable. I think you're going to need to come prepared with information like the range each joint can move and the speed at which each joint can be moved... the fight was going in some pretty crazy directions last I checked (all of which were entertaining)... not my fight but I do invite you to make it your own. Start a new thread and call out the "non-articulation-ist" crowd and argue that future SDF-1 toys be super-poseable. Or, keep posting in the Regult thread information about the SDF-1's joints... that's entertaining too.