HG and Robotech Debates

Looks like Memo has uploaded some video of the Robotech panel on AX, though still incomplete.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fanexpo#g/u

Someone wanna summarize the bullshit-a-thon for us so those of us with no patience for watching Tommy Yune stammer and pretend he isn't wildly incompetent? :lol:

I second that motion.

I couldn't make it past Steve Yun's "who skipped work to attend this panel" thing before I tuned out. Also, the fact that big ol' uber-duper-fanboy MEMODOMINION is lugging that camera around in the first row kinda creeps me out. :wacko:

Fine I'll take the hit for the team:

-Hey we work for HG!

-Hey, we did voice work

-Viva la Carl

-More Viva la Carl

-Mystery documentry on Carl

-Viva la Carl's wife

-The live action movie is totally happening

-We have enough sense to know that we can't blow our collective (lack of creativity) wad until we have a live action film to ride on the coattails of.

-We're doing some kinda mystery doodle that's some kind of sidestory that Carl gave us the idea for to do kinda that we're going to show but "turn off camera's" 'cus it's a mystery, and we ain't showin' nobody on the internet 'cus they'll laugh at us. This thing isn't going to be about Rick Hunter 'cus you will never see anything about him ever, but keep chasin' that carrot bra'!

-Q&A free stuff for asking "the right questions."

Oh, I almsot forgot

-Robotech created the anime market in the U.S., there was nothing before that except for some 60's stuff, worship us!

Mind you this is from me skipping through parts of it scanning for info, but that seems to be the gist.

I couldn't make it past Steve Yun's "who skipped work to attend this panel" thing before I tuned out. Also, the fact that big ol' uber-duper-fanboy MEMODOMINION is lugging that camera around in the first row kinda creeps me out.

Now, what I found amusing about the non-video coverage of the event that I've seen via their Facebook pages and Twitter was that while Harmony Gold was gushing about how the panel's line was huge, the room itself was only about 2/3 full during the presentation, putting a pretty sizable dent in their bragging rights. From the pictures I've seen on Robotech.com, it looks like, for all the protesting about the size of the line, the RT panel's turnout was actually lower than last year's.

For me, just the thought of being in the same room with a creepy, obsessive idiot like MEMO creeps me right the hell out. Having to watch him hero-worship Tommy Yune from the audience would probably send me scurrying to the nearest trash can to throw up.

-Viva la Carl

-More Viva la Carl

-Mystery documentry on Carl

-Viva la Carl's wife

And there we have it, kiddies... substituting endless lamenting over Macek's death for providing actual content, just as predicted. I wonder how long it'll be before they blame the collapse of the "new" feature or Shadow Rising on his untimely death.

-The live action movie is totally happening

-We have enough sense to know that we can't blow our collective (lack of creativity) wad until we have a live action film to ride on the coattails of.

So, business as usual... Shadow Rising is still on indefinite hiatus while they wait for someone with actual talent to fix the mess that ham-handed hacks they've had for creative directors and licensees made.

-We're doing some kinda mystery doodle that's some kind of sidestory that Carl gave us the idea for to do kinda that we're going to show but "turn off camera's" 'cus it's a mystery, and we ain't showin' nobody on the internet 'cus they'll laugh at us. This thing isn't going to be about Rick Hunter 'cus you will never see anything about him ever, but keep chasin' that carrot bra'!

-Q&A free stuff for asking "the right questions."

Yep, business as usual... all hype, no substance.

-Robotech created the anime market in the U.S., there was nothing before that except for some 60's stuff, worship us!

Rest in peace, Carl Macek... your legacy of lies and wild exaggerations will live for as long as Harmony Gold thinks they can make a buck off Robotech.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Only half of the panel was uploaded, so there's more.

Thoughts so far:

-Room was decently packed. There was arm room for sure. And pockets of empty seats.

-1st 25-30 minutes was devoted to intros and Carl and Carl's RT documentary. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... (I skipped most of this)

Part 3/4 started the Q&A:

-#1 at launch on Hulu and Youtube....Probably because people wanted to know what it was all about and didn't want to spend money for it. Welcome to a recession...

-RT:SC has aired in Southeast Asia...Yeah...the poorer parts of Southeast Asia. Probably helps that HG does loads of 3rd-party licensing worldwide...

-Spanish fans must be happy for RT:SC. They're getting it on TV soon.

-No Southern Cross merchandise coming soon. Macross stuff 1st, Mospeada stuff 2nd.

-Expanding RT with some kinda series/idea/gimmick...kinda, sorta, maybe. It was Carl's idea. Blame him if it fails.

-RT MMORPG...WB's zone. Wait for them to do something with it.

-More Q&A about Carl and self-praise.

*More thoughts when the 2nd half of the panel gets uploaded*

Did that Youtube have the section where Tommy or Steve asks people in the seats to email Kevin if they work for or have a connection with a place or someone who can make the decisions to distribute Robotech? That was a far, and sad reach for "Hey, we wanna be cool again. Can you fans help us?" Came off very unprofessional in my opinion. The Carl Macek stuff and stuff he was working on was interesting. At least he had the mindset to move forward with something, not just sit stagnant and pretend to be doing stuff.

I wonder which area of South East Asia RTSC was aired, because seriously, Robotech is hardly felt here in the Philippines. Though there was that Jollibee (a Philippine fast food chain) Kiddie meals toys a few months back. I dunno how well it was received. The last time Robotech was aired in the Philippines was way back in the mid 90's.

As for this 'gimmick', i see it as HG's attempt to keep the fans interested in Robotech and to remind them that this franchise is still alive.

I wonder which area of South East Asia RTSC was aired, because seriously, Robotech is hardly felt here in the Philippines. Though there was that Jollibee (a Philippine fast food chain) Kiddie meals toys a few months back. I dunno how well it was received. The last time Robotech was aired in the Philippines was way back in the mid 90's.

As for this 'gimmick', i see it as HG's attempt to keep the fans interested in Robotech and to remind them that this franchise is still alive.

TSC is only available on bootleg DVD, like every anime title out there. As far as those Jollibee toys go, I would care less if they sold out or not; HG would still go out and claim that RT is #1 in the Philippines, when their fanbase here is almost non-existent. Hobby shops like GreatToysOnline.com still have MPCs and Toynami's Macross toys collecting dust on the shelves.

BTW, for those who just stepped in, RT broadcasting in the Philippines started with Southern Cross, as the original Macross (with a local English dub) aired years earlier. Also, Macross was supposedly brought into the Philippines by HG as a test market.

TSC is only available on bootleg DVD, like every anime title out there. As far as those Jollibee toys go, I would care less if they sold out or not; HG would still go out and claim that RT is #1 in the Philippines, when their fanbase here is almost non-existent. Hobby shops like GreatToysOnline.com still have MPCs and Toynami's Macross toys collecting dust on the shelves.

BTW, for those who just stepped in, RT broadcasting in the Philippines started with Southern Cross, as the original Macross (with a local English dub) aired years earlier. Also, Macross was supposedly brought into the Philippines by HG as a test market.

News flash, Robotech is a sold out in Divisoria :p. All i remember was Robotech being aired every afternoon at 4:00 pm right before Small Wonder. I think it was at the same timeslot as Slamdunk and Sailor Moon. This was like in 1995-1996.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Yay, another abortive animation! Something stinks here Commander and it's not in the ventilation system. It's... This summer... prepare to be amazed... by the.. worst animation you've ever seen (Robotech theme)... by creative master Tommy Yune and Carl Macek as consultant... wave hi Carl (gets his hand waved as he's propped up in a chair with his sunglasses)... with animation by DR Movie, assistant animator of Macross Plus... The Best Is Yet To Come.

All i remember was Robotech being aired every afternoon at 4:00 pm right before Small Wonder.

Small Wonder?

Oh man... I am SO sorry we exported that. You have my deepest condolences.

Seriously, isn't that banned by the Geneva Convention?

Did that Youtube have the section where Tommy or Steve asks people in the seats to email Kevin if they work for or have a connection with a place or someone who can make the decisions to distribute Robotech? That was a far, and sad reach for "Hey, we wanna be cool again. Can you fans help us?" Came off very unprofessional in my opinion. The Carl Macek stuff and stuff he was working on was interesting. At least he had the mindset to move forward with something, not just sit stagnant and pretend to be doing stuff.

If it was asked in the first 40 minutes of the panel, then I'm sure it was in there, but I wasn't listening.

They said it aired in Vietnam, Laos, and one other place. It was at the beginning of Part 4.

They go on to talk about how accurate translations are bowing to The Japanese, Robotech touches everyone, but yet at the same time nobody would have any anime without Robotech.

So, if I understand Kramer and Forstadt correctly, Robotech is the gateway to more "freely adapted" dubs and we should be thankful for them because without butchered anime we wouldn't have any more anime, which they want butchered as well? WTF

and remember, if you speak Nihongo you don't exist!

It's true Macek was reponsible for giving those people voice acting careers. I guess that explains why they're so willing to go along with all of this.

They go on to talk about how accurate translations are bowing to The Japanese, Robotech touches everyone, but yet at the same time nobody would have any anime without Robotech.

So, if I understand Kramer and Forstadt correctly, Robotech is the gateway to more "freely adapted" dubs and we should be thankful for them because without butchered anime we wouldn't have any more anime, which they want butchered as well? WTF

and remember, if you speak Nihongo you don't exist!

It's true Macek was reponsible for giving those people voice acting careers. I guess that explains why they're so willing to go along with all of this.

I don't understand these people as to why they keep insisting that Carl Macek single-handedly brought anime in the US as if they're trying to say that those who pioneered in bringing anime in the US from 1960, 1970, to early 1980 didn't exist. That's just downright insulting.

-Room was decently packed. There was arm room for sure. And pockets of empty seats.

I want this addressed this once and for all, but why does HG have this great insecurity about the size of their con audience? Why? For the benefit of Robotech.com exiles on Macrossworld.com? :rolleyes:

News flash, Robotech is a sold out in Divisoria.

Regardless, I don't see much of those new-fangled "Beta-max" fighters moving.

-Expanding RT with some kinda series/idea/gimmick...kinda, sorta, maybe. It was Carl's idea. Blame him if it fails.

So the Shadow Rising treatment was written by Carl Macek all along, eh? :o

-RT MMORPG...WB's zone. Wait for them to do something with it.

Alright. Say it with me now... "Robotech will be a subscription-based MMO aimed at today's ADD youth and somehow successfully stand up against the Clone Wars MMO, and thousands like it."

I believe they should include in the design document, playable classes like "Whiny, young pilot", "Sexy, sexually-repressed officer", "Token black friend". Personally, I can't wait to play the "Big Brother" and "Jailbait" class.

1. Macross was better than the other anime used for butchered dubs at the time. Mospeada and Southern Cross are good shows too.

2. The quality of Robotech's dubbing and music was better than other butchered dubs at the time.

3. The story of Robotech was debatably better than the story of other butchered dubs at the time. I think it was.

They use these facts and the time that Robotech aired to try to establish a relationship between the cause of Robotech and the effect of more dubbed anime becoming available. They assume

the audience from Robotech were the audience for dubbed anime.

people who watch untranslated or subtitled anime are nobodies.

Robotech proved there was a market for anime even when it failed.

Robotech's success was directly responsible for distributors starting up such as Streamline Pictures, AnimEigo, US Renditions, US Manga Corps, AD Vision, Viz Video, and Manga Video and without Robotech they wouldn't have existed and/or would not have customers.

Robotech had some kind of influence on the quality of anime in Japan in the late 80s and 90s.

Carl Macek invented the Internet so without him you'd never be able to get anime

when Robotech came out, most of Books Nippan, Laser Perceptions, Nikaku Animart, and Kimono My House's customers were Robotech fans.

everyone thought anime was garbage before Robotech, but Robotech showed them it was good, but only through the filter of repurposing.

I don't understand these people as to why they keep insisting that Carl Macek single-handedly brought anime in the US as if they're trying to say that those who pioneered in bringing anime in the US from 1960, 1970, to early 1980 didn't exist. That's just downright insulting.

Exactly. For instance, where's the love for Peter Keefe, the guy who created Voltron, who died this year?

You sure that's not management?

Yes, it was called Marketing Principles.

Edited by Einherjar

Wow... these people are clearly earlobe-deep in denial about the fact that Robotech had pretty much no significant impact on the anime industry and just a 25 year old anachronism that some extremely thick real estate company just won't let go of. This whole "Robotech was responsible for creating the American anime industry" line is just more bullshit Macek started back in the 90s to make himself out to be the Gene Roddenberry of anime. The man was a habitual liar, prone to telling his audience anything they wanted to hear once he thought he could make himself famous by painting himself as anime's great messiah.

Actually, it's quite easy to understand why these people keep insisting that Carl Macek somehow single-handedly created the entire American anime industry. The elaborate facade of deceptions they've built around Macek's role in the formation of the industry are part of the web of lies that keep the self-deluded Robotech fans thinking that Robotech was an important, influential show ahead of its time instead of just another squirt in the crowd that nobody gave a toss about even in 1985.

If they don't push aside the contributions of every person and show that came before (and after, for that matter) then the illusion that Robotech actually mattered at one point quickly falls apart.

Robotech proved there was a market for anime even when it failed.

Robotech's success was directly responsible for distributors starting up such as Streamline Pictures, AnimEigo, US Renditions, US Manga Corps, AD Vision, Viz Video, and Manga Video and without Robotech they wouldn't have existed and/or would not have customers.

Faulty assumptions, of course... but an essential part of the illusion that has kept them in jobs despite having accomplished less in 25 years than Studio Nue accomplishes in six months. Unless they can convince people that Robotech mattered at some point and that it could matter again, there's no reason for anyone to pay attention to it.

Robotech had some kind of influence on the quality of anime in Japan in the late 80s and 90s.

In several of his later interviews, after he'd gotten it into his head that he was a creative genius fit to rival George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry, Carl Macek tried to claim that even the creators of Macross felt that Robotech was far superior to their own work, and even that they were striving to imitate Robotech in future sequels by placing reduced emphasis on music. A statement about as far from the truth as it's possible to get, and a lie which depends entirely on keeping Robotech fans completely ignorant of Macross.

Carl Macek invented the Internet so without him you'd never be able to get anime

That's a damn lie... we all know Al Gore created the internet. :p

when Robotech came out, most of Books Nippan, Laser Perceptions, Nikaku Animart, and Kimono My House's customers were Robotech fans.

Don't forget Tatsunoko Productions, Studio Nue, and Big West... according to Macek they're all such big Robotech fans that they wanted to imitate Robotech when they made more Macross shows.

Next thing you know, HG's gonna tell people that Carl Macek's tears can cure cancer, but he never cried. Or that a cobra once bit Carl Macek and after five days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.:ph34r:

Lol we should start creating Carl Macek facts.

So trying to say he was like Chuck Norris?!

Chuck Norris might take offense to that...*ducks roundhouse kick*

Anyways now onto some meat.

(My thoughts in bold,italics)

BTW, using Youtube's vuvuzela switch works great for drowning out nonsense questions.

Part 2:

-More memories and Carl nostalgia about the rush job that is Robotech...

-more Carl's-vision talk, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

-Kramer-Keep the story, throw out the dialog. He says many companies have been militant on keeping the dubbing the dialog directly from Japanese instead of coming up with new dialog. Says their (the RT) way is better. He also said he's heard some of the Japanese say "How dare you..." Well how about we take RT and make in into a D-rated comedy and see how you feel. If you poured blood, sweat, time, money and your own creative mind making a something, you'd want it to be treated with respect and RETAIN the same or as-close-to-same dialog and not have people mooch it to death.

-More zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz questions

-"I can't talk about the live-action at this time".

-HG use to own an audio-recording studio, which is where they got the cast and crew.

-They labored making the dialog match the mouth movements.

-Will there be a Carl-successor? Kramer paraphrase-"You can't find a successor to a creative mind like Carl."

-Will there ever be any more RT on TV? There gonna re-release the Macross-side of the story again or something along those lines in December. No new material scheduled at this time.

-More nostalgia talk....

-More voice-actor praise and yadda yadda yadda... *hits vuvuzela button*

-How would Carl save the anime industry today? Wife says Carl would have wanted to go to the Japanese side of the business to do a multi-cultural orignal thing. That doesn't work all the time unfortunately cuz some things are so foreign between cultures that it just doesn't work. Period. Jeez, Danny Choo is at AX this year and he's originally from Britain, who now lives in Japan, and was dumbfounded by some of the local lingo he's been hearing.

Next thing you know, HG's gonna tell people that [...] a cobra once bit Carl Macek and after five days of excruciating pain, the cobra died.

Of course... that poor cobra bit into him and discovered to its peril that his body was made up of 70% bullsh*t instead of water like a normal person's.

-more Carl's-vision talk

Let's not unintentionally perpetuate the lie by calling it "Carl's vision". It was, after all, a poorly coordinated effort done entirely at the insistence of the network and their toy partner. None of the important creative decisions in Robotech were made by the hack we knew as Carl Macek, they all occurred far, FAR above his head.

-Kramer-Keep the story, throw out the dialog. He says many companies have been militant on keeping the dubbing the dialog directly from Japanese instead of coming up with new dialog. Says their (the RT) way is better.

So speaks a foolish fellow who doesn't understand the industry he works in... typical of a Robotech staffer. Time and time again, the anime industry's consumers have made it very clear that they want a viewing experience as close to what the original Japanese audience got as is possible. That's why shows like Robotech are considered by the majority to be substandard and the names of the companies that make them are watchwords for failure and incompetence.

He also said he's heard some of the Japanese say "How dare you..."

Can you blame them? It's practically a thrown gauntlet as far as the integrity of the author's work is concerned. To change parts of the author's vision and then claim the result still reflects the original author's intent, or to claim that the rewrite is a superior work to the original as Macek did is the very height of arrogance, and could only be taken as an insult by those responsible for the original.

-"I can't talk about the live-action at this time".

Even after it's canceled, they'll still be saying that...

-They labored making the dialog match the mouth movements.

They also did a lot of hard drinking, if some of the earlier VA and writer interviews are to be believed... due in no small measure to there being a bar in close proximity to the studio. Said bar apparently played a large role in getting Rebecca Forstadt liquored up enough to record Minmei's singing bits.

-Will there be a Carl-successor? Kramer paraphrase-"You can't find a successor to a creative mind like Carl."

Sure you can... the internet produces thousands of talentless fan-fiction writers every year, many of whom have no respect whatsoever for the works they bastardize. The lot of them are already operating on Macek's level in terms of both creativity (or rather, the lack thereof) and artistic integrity. At the end of the day, Robotech is nothing more than a badly written piece of Macross-Southern Cross-Mospeada crossover fan-fiction granted partial legitimacy via a licensing agreement.

-How would Carl save the anime industry today?

The man couldn't save his own company, or even his own do-nothing job at Harmony Gold... how could a man like that possibly save the entire industry he spent his career failing in?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Honestly, I can see now why the panel was put on the Thursday timeslot - they didn't have a damn thing to talk about and their current thoughts on the industry have isolated them from the other companies. What an 80s mentality they have.

Also, an unintentional burn towards Tommy Yune by Kramer. I thought Tommy was actually Carl's successor this whole time. Does that mean everything he's done for Robotech has been BS and they knew it? :wacko:

Edited by Einherjar

Honestly, I can see now why the panel was put on the Thursday timeslot - they didn't have a damn thing to talk about and their current thoughts on the industry have isolated them from the other companies. What an 80s mentality they have.

Also, an unintentional burn towards Tommy Yune by Kramer. I thought Tommy was actually Carl's successor this whole time. Does that mean everything he's done for Robotech has been BS and they knew it? :wacko:

And they also had another panel that was basically about what happened around 4 years ago when HG was invited in a convention on China. They dedicated a panel about a past event that's irrelevant to what's important right now, which is the future of Robotech. God they're just wasting a floor area. :(

Edited by Moly_Sigang

Exactly. For instance, where's the love for Peter Keefe, the guy who created Voltron, who died this year?

I do care about Peter Keefe, actually. His works are more remembered by non-anime fans since it fits with the family-friendly 1980s TV. Hell, a lot of the Voltron DVD box sets (sold at the same time as Shadow Chronicles) were sold out on the shelves while SC sat as shelf-warmers.

Edited by Captain of the SDF-1 Macross

Kramer should go work for 4kids. He could be their Executive Repurposer in Charge of Anime Butchery and stand up to the Japanese trying to make him bow to them.

Steve Kramer already worked with an anime dub company named Saban during the 1990s. Much of that anime line-up were obscure TV shows he worked with. The exceptions were Digimon (directed by Jeff Nimoy) and Transformers: Robots in Disguise (which Kramer was the dub director).

Besides, 4Kids already have apprentices like him (such as Michael Haigney) and the company always turn down offers to hire Los Angeles performers anyway. 4Kids always use the New York City dub teams instead (because they're non-union).

Oh, yes. Macek is a sore loser who thought that he can out-do the anime dubs released in the 1980s because only his work didn't edit out the deaths. Unfortunately, it's against the no-no death scenes that all 1980s animation were at the time (the anime dubs of the 1980s have the deaths cut out). Macek's contribution of the anime industry is as much as scoring four touchdowns in one game. The 1990s edited anime dubs were better in showcasing the shows within the confines of censorship (as well as the other 1990s cartoons were doing as well).

Macek was also upset that Peter Keefe's Voltron was beating Robotech in the TV ratings (found in Robotech Art 3 in the fitting section "What Went Wrong?")

With all the talk of RT at AX, I can't help but think that Yune is now facing the problems just like Rick Berman was doing Star Trek during the airing of "Enterprise". With the amount of bad fanservice found in TSC, it's about as bad as T'Pol in a catsuit. You know what, HG should hire Rick Berman since the guy's unemployed and likes writing stories revovling about technobabble and saying that all humans are awesome.

With the Robotechies wanting more Robotech and no Macross, I find that the two fences on nostalgia are strong here. In regards to the Macross sequels, the Robotechies are in the "We don't like it because it's not the same as it used to", "RUINED FOREVER" and so on. We Macrossers are in the crowd of "we like the sequels because of (insert blank) even though it sucks" and so on.

There was a time I saw a YouTube video review about nostalgia in general but was taken down by the copyright owners, which I felt like sharing about in what is nostalgia.