The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Re: Thread consolidation. Or not. We're still working on the details.

I'll ask here---do you guys want to consolidate the console threads? When multi-platform games come out, it's very hard to keep track across multiple threads. FF13 I think was the worst case, where long discussions popped up on like 4 threads simultaneously.

But many threads (various portables etc) can go many months without posting, which IMHO means they don't really need/deserve their own thread.

But mixing EVERYTHING together isn't good either of course. Perhaps a dedicated 360 thread, PS3 thread, and "everything else" thread? But again----the most likely multi-system games are going to be on the PS3 and 360, which brings us back to the original problem of no one knowing where the "main" discussion is.

I have a couple.

Thanks for the offer, but I went for instant gratification and snagged a used one for $8.

DH, separate threads for at least the big consoles would be ideal. It would be easier when discussing all the details for each one instead of rummaging through a general gaming thread. Maybe separate them via manufacturer? (Sony Gaming, MS Gaming, etc.)

Are we allowed to discuss these USB backup dealies that are turning up for PS3 lately? If so is there any way yet to install any video codec I want on my PS3?

• 2 weeks later...

will the macross stuff come to US home?

Unfortunately not, but you can make a Japanese account and have access to it. It's easy all u need to do is make a new account set location to japan and put in a Japanese adress, I put a hotel(can't remember which one) since I just google a Tokyo based hotel. Btw so when does the transforming SDF-1 display furniture come out in home?

Unfortunately not, but you can make a Japanese account and have access to it. It's easy all u need to do is make a new account set location to japan and put in a Japanese adress, I put a hotel(can't remember which one) since I just google a Tokyo based hotel. Btw so when does the transforming SDF-1 display furniture come out in home?

Thanks. Ok made acct. Found way to theater and It started playing the MF 2 trailer.

It went straight to playing M II. So if I understand this correctly, I just let it play the 6 random

Episodes and I will have an SD-1 when it's done?

Anybody know anything about PlayStation 3 repair? My brother gave me one that turns on ok and seems to work fine except that it won't read any discs. A quick Google search seems to indicate that the problem... documented, although they seem to indicate that it's the Blu-ray laser failing. Problem with that is that they seem to say that the PS3 should know that there's a disc inside it, but it will flash a warning that it can't read the disc. In my case, the PS3 can take the disc in and eject it, but it doesn't sound like the disc is spinning and it doesn't show up, readable or otherwise, in the XMB.

Anybody know anything about PlayStation 3 repair? My brother gave me one that turns on ok and seems to work fine except that it won't read any discs. A quick Google search seems to indicate that the problem... documented, although they seem to indicate that it's the Blu-ray laser failing. Problem with that is that they seem to say that the PS3 should know that there's a disc inside it, but it will flash a warning that it can't read the disc. In my case, the PS3 can take the disc in and eject it, but it doesn't sound like the disc is spinning and it doesn't show up, readable or otherwise, in the XMB.

Sounds like the drive is bad/burned out in general. I've heard of people replacing them themselvse, but I'm not sure how well that works in the long run.

Sounds like the drive is bad/burned out in general. I've heard of people replacing them themselvse, but I'm not sure how well that works in the long run.

That's what I'm thinking. I wanted to try to open it up to see how difficult PS3 surgery might be, but I can't get it open. I have a T-10 screwdriver bit, but the screwdriver it goes it is too wide to get the bit far enough down the hole to reach the screw. I'll probably end up buying a new screwdriver, but if this whole thing gets too expensive I might just set it up for Netflix and PSN games and call it a day.

EDIT: Went to Lowe's and found a nice Kobalt Torx screwdriver. It's got 4 double-ended bits (8 heads total) that store inside the handle, and the bits are about half the size as my regular screwdriver. Once I got that single Torx screw out of the side, taking the top covers off was cake. The drive assembly is easy enough to remove, but I'm not sure yet if I can replace the entire thing or if I have to take it apart too. With the top covers off, I was able to hear that the disc inside was spinning, so maybe I just need to replace the laser.

Edited by mikeszekely

I saw that vid when I watched a couple episodes of SDF: Macross in the JPN theater. Anyone know how to get it yet? I watched two whole episodes without subtitles and without the Animeigo ending (which threw me off at first)...

I saw that vid when I watched a couple episodes of SDF: Macross in the JPN theater. Anyone know how to get it yet? I watched two whole episodes without subtitles and without the Animeigo ending (which threw me off at first)...

The theater, crap-I completely forgot about that place. I was thinking you watch the episodes by downloading them from the PSN store.

According to the link BP posted, the SDF-1 should appear after viewing 6 episodes. Well, off to the theater I go...

I've been playing FFXIII recently, and I've just unlocked the Instrument of Faith trophy. Now supposedly, you unlock a FFXIII theme for your PS3's XMB by getting that trophy. I checked the theme section of my PS3, but nada.

Do I need to complete the game before being able to unlock the theme?

BTW, I usually upgrade my PS3's system via any new game discs that require it.

Man, I'd love to watch something that wasn't trailers and Testers in the Home theater.

Sweet, brings back memories.

Still have the original game disc for my PSX.

I've been playing FFXIII recently, and I've just unlocked the Instrument of Faith trophy. Now supposedly, you unlock a FFXIII theme for your PS3's XMB by getting that trophy. I checked the theme section of my PS3, but nada.

Do I need to complete the game before being able to unlock the theme?

The themes are on the game disc, and once unlocked are in the options menu of the game. You select them from there, and they'll dl to your xmb so you can choose them.

xenogears_box_art_001.jpg

Xenogears comes out on PSN this Tuesday. Rejoice people.

I just recently restarted my copy using a PS2. When you smooth out the texture mapping, the lines srrounding the sprites are hardly noticible.

It's too bad you can't rip your disks onto the hard drive like the XBox 360 (my only problem is when you install games on the 360, you still need the disk to boot up the game.

Too bad Namco couldn't really tell the story like they wanted to (Xenosaga was supposed to have 11 parts if you could believe that).