What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Also watched Summer Wars. This is really something I feel that everyone should watch and own. I'm not sure I'll be able to go see it in theatres but I'm definitely looking forward to the US Blu-ray release. It be kinda neat to see the movie win an Academy too.

Unfortunately Summer Wars doesn't seem to merit a release in Europe so I'll have to wait for the official release. Have heard so many good things about it that I can't wait.

Continuing with my Maison Ikkoku marathon, which I mix up with a bit of Paranoia Agent (could they be more different?:D). Looking forward to the holidays cause I have plenty of stuff parked ready to be watched.

Began watching Final Fantasy Unlimited the day before yesterday, and after the first bunch of eps I begin to wonder if it really is worth keeping on: despite the exotic aspect in the exploration of the various inner worlds which adds a nice touch on the artistic side, it looks like an "enemy of the week" show with always the same plot repeating again and again...

Someone knows if this gets better?

No, it doesn't. Seriously, took me 3 months to get through it.

Two episodes behind but still watching. Hehe didn't know it was based off a real location, perhaps your mom's hometown will become an Otaku tourism mecca soon like the K-On school and the Lucky Star town :D . As I don't speak Japanese, and given the absurdist nature of the humor I do get that feeling that some of the humor is lost, but I find what I get out of it entertaining.

1st half of episode 10 is hilarious. i think ep 7 is my fav so far, reminds me of going on adventures when staying at grandma's house in the summertime.

I saw Summer Wars several times as an in-flight movie, so I actually got sick of it. :p Yeah, it's not a bad movie at all. I wouldn't go as far as buying it, though. I don't like the idea that the net becomes some ridiculous infantile playground, but I admire the design work that went into it, even if the aesthetic is not to my tastes.

Has anyone watched "Plawres Sanshirou"? Pro-wrestling with miniature robots. I've just started that one. Seems like good ol' 1980s fun.

Also, I'm still working my way through "Gantz" in preparation for the upcoming movie, as well as still watching Arjuna.

In no way related but if you liked the animation in bakemonogatari and casshern sins, i'd recommend you Katanagatari. Light hearted and lots of character development. ;)

In other news, i started Soredemo Machi Wa Mawatteiru .... pure slapstick fun by SHAFT if you're into those kinda stuff. Don't think its by Shinbo since the "SHAFT"-ness seems rather toned down.

I've watched episodes 1-10 so far and I must say I LOVE the show! It's easily one of my all time favorites. Thanks again for recommending it! I still need to watch the last two episodes but I'm working on that. I've been trying to find a place to buy the Blurays but all I keep finding are the "limited editions" which are going for $83 each. I'm not exactly looking forward to spending about $1000 for 12 Bluray discs. Would you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a place where I could buy the normal edition Blurays for this show? I've tried Amazon, YesAsia, Play-Asia, eBay, and CDJapan with no luck. I'm really hoping the limited editions aren't my only option (DVDs are out of the question)!

Edited by Oihan

I've watched episodes 1-10 so far and I must say I LOVE the show! It's easily one of my all time favorites. Thanks again for recommending it! I still need to watch the last two episodes but I'm working on that. I've been trying to find a place to buy the Blurays but all I keep finding are the "limited editions" which are going for $83 each. I'm not exactly looking forward to spending about $1000 for 12 Bluray discs. Would you, or anyone else for that matter, know of a place where I could buy the normal edition Blurays for this show? I've tried Amazon, YesAsia, Play-Asia, eBay, and CDJapan with no luck. I'm really hoping the limited editions aren't my only option (DVDs are out of the question)!

Glad you liked it. :D I just finished it myself today.

Katanagatari brings out comedy and tragedy in both their extremeties. At the end of it all, its a story about Shichika and his growth from an island bumpkin into a "proper" person.

Too bad alot of people had to die for it.

Its quite a tragic story now that I think about it. :(

As for blurays....I hope an english version will be released in a box set eventually. I'll get it in a heartbeat. But for now, not looking into getting any untranslated BDs.

In other news, I just got my copy of Nanoha The Movie 1st and watched it immediately. I recommend it to any Nanoha fan and anyone who likes to see fancy explosions. Very good production values and its always fun to see magical girls blast each other in the name of friendship in 1080p, no? :D

Decided to watch Aquarion. By the second disk I was wondering if they would refund me for the DVD...

That is funny ! :lol: :lol:

Well I'm thinking of quitting on Star Driver. The plot thus far from 1 to 10. Girls. Boys. Gratuitous booty shots. Robot Fight. Pretty Boy Winner. End Credits. Gee I think next time I am going to send my short story from my 4 year old daughter to a Japanese anime producer. Samurai Girls is pretty good and progressing well. I cant seem to get into SRW-OG the Inspector. Wacky robots that are all super-powered and no clear indication who the protagonist is bleh

Seems this anime season is pretty dry

That is funny ! :lol: :lol:

Well I'm thinking of quitting on Star Driver. The plot thus far from 1 to 10. Girls. Boys. Gratuitous booty shots. Robot Fight. Pretty Boy Winner. End Credits. Gee I think next time I am going to send my short story from my 4 year old daughter to a Japanese anime producer. Samurai Girls is pretty good and progressing well. I cant seem to get into SRW-OG the Inspector. Wacky robots that are all super-powered and no clear indication who the protagonist is bleh

Seems this anime season is pretty dry

Two words.

Squid girl.

aka Shiryaku Ika Musume.

Just finished watching Eve no Jikan. It deals with the relationship between humans and androids(not smartphone type) in the future, similar to Chobits but with more ethical thought.

No action, but mostly drama and thought provoking situations. However, it is quite enjoyable.

Rewatching Tenchi Muyo: GXP. This series is just so damn funny, always puts me in a good mood, no matter how crappy of a day I have. I've got about 20 titles I haven't started watching yet, so I should get into those afterward.

Rewatching Tenchi Muyo: GXP. This series is just so damn funny, always puts me in a good mood, no matter how crappy of a day I have. I've got about 20 titles I haven't started watching yet, so I should get into those afterward.

Unfortunately, GXP got burried in the mountain of Tenchi licenses, and went grossly unappreicated.

Just finished rewatching Paranoia Agent.

Man, that's just one messed up world that Satoshi Kon drew up. But it works nicely. The first part of the series in particular, is amazing.

Shaft Absurdist take on The Discovery of your Secret Stash of Forbidden "Literature" scenario. :D

I don't get why they're so horrified. They're in maid costumes, for God's sake. You would think they'd have more than a passing knowledge of pervy guy material than other types of girls.

Just finished watching Eve no Jikan. It deals with the relationship between humans and androids(not smartphone type) in the future, similar to Chobits but with more ethical thought.

No action, but mostly drama and thought provoking situations. However, it is quite enjoyable.

Thanks for that. I've actually had the DVD of the first episode for over half a year now (came with the now-seemingly-defunct "Animage Original" magazine), but totally forgot about it.

Spring 2011 anime

Whoa, X-Men!! Heh, that will be interesting. I watched a couple of the Ironman ones by Madhouse and they were all right.

Apart from that, Showa Monogatari and maybe Toriko look intriguing, but all the others look the same.

Whoa, X-Men!! Heh, that will be interesting. I watched a couple of the Ironman ones by Madhouse and they were all right.

Apart from that, Showa Monogatari and maybe Toriko look intriguing, but all the others look the same.

I dunno, if Iron Man is any indication, the X-Men show will be a monster of the week show with lame dialogue.

It was called Mnemosyne during the Japanese release. Pretty awesome and dark show.....lotsa sex and violence too :D

Finished watching the second disk yesterday, I thought it was a good show as well. And yes, Lots of sex and violence...

The English cast was very good all the way through, not a stinker in the bunch. Only better English cast work I've seen is the stuff Disney brought over lately (Nausica being top notch, Howl's moving castle is excellent as well)

Finally got to watching the third part of Megazone 23 and was at first confused as hell, but then it got much better and I actually enjoyed it a lot towards the end. Still think it's the weakest out of the 3 parts. Having 3 different directors and different character designers on a continuous narrative is probably not the best idea.

And Bishop Won Dai could be seen "coming" from a mile away. Not the most original storytelling there.

And everytime I saw Eve a part of my brain couldn't help but thinking "Ishtar, what are you doing in Megazone 23". But I suppose it would be more correct to ask : "Eve, what are you doing in Macross II!"

Finally got to watching the third part of Megazone 23 and was at first confused as hell, but then it got much better and I actually enjoyed it a lot towards the end. Still think it's the weakest out of the 3 parts. Having 3 different directors and different character designers on a continuous narrative is probably not the best idea.

I've never seen part 3, but considering how much more I like Part II, versus the first part I would have to say I have no complaints about the change in art style or directors...

Part II is on of my favorite Anime or all time, even the english dub where the commander of the warship was voiced by Robotech's Exedore VA was great. (I should look for that on DVD, have not seen it in 20+ years now)

I've never seen part 3, but considering how much more I like Part II, versus the first part I would have to say I have no complaints about the change in art style or directors...

Part II is on of my favorite Anime or all time, even the english dub where the commander of the warship was voiced by Robotech's Exedore VA was great. (I should look for that on DVD, have not seen it in 20+ years now)

Funnily enough, I'm currently working in a "featured area" in Megazone Part II.

The building on the far right side of the pic, with the red and white sign on the top? I work in the building right next to it. The covered promenade that Shogo slams down, the "Sunroad," is where I have lunch or dinner nearly every day.

And yes, the music from that scene runs through my head CONSTANTLY when I'm walking around there. It's rather annoying, actually.

post-939-129251909311_thumb.jpg

OMG, what an epic turn of events for Panty & Brief. I can't wait to see the final episode, and it airs on Christmas Eve no less.. BRILLIANT!!

Yeah, second part of this weeks episode was so good. I welcome the drama and awesome cliffhanger. Final next week should be smokin' hot.