Official 1/100 BANDAI VF Hi Metal VF-1J Valkyrie

Black Valkyrie

• 2 weeks later...

I knew this was small but I can't believe how small 1/100 actually is! Look at the size of it in that person's hands! I'm more impressed than ever at the level of detail and engineering that must've gone into this.

Edited by mickyg

I knew this was small but I can't believe how small 1/100 actually is! Look at the size of it in that person's hands! I'm more impressed than ever at the level of detail and engineering that must've gone into this.

The amount of parts on this thing is the reason why it is so expensive too...well more like internal parts. Compared to Toynami's 1/100 VF-1, the VF HI METAL VF-1 has exponentially more parts needed and tooled for the mold.

Never thought about shorter battroid wings..I knew the wings were swappable for a clean pylon port-less look, but not for battroid. That's pretty cool. I just hope that if Tamashii makes a stand, it has spots to store all of the swappable gear of this toy.

The amount of parts on this thing is the reason why it is so expensive too...well more like internal parts. Compared to Toynami's 1/100 VF-1, the VF HI METAL VF-1 has exponentially more parts needed and tooled for the mold.

Never thought about shorter battroid wings..I knew the wings were swappable for a clean pylon port-less look, but not for battroid. That's pretty cool. I just hope that if Tamashii makes a stand, it has spots to store all of the swappable gear of this toy.

I'm still trying to understand the whole wing swap thing. The yamatos don't do it? Am I missing something here?

I'm still trying to understand the whole wing swap thing. The yamatos don't do it? Am I missing something here?

No, they don't. The wings offered with the VF HI METAL VF-1 are as follows:

• Wings with pylon ports to plug in the missle pylons
  • Wings sans pylon ports for a clean look(the pegs stick out)
  • Apparently shorter wings for battroid mode to match the animation

Because what Yamato did is perfect transformation valkyrie toy and Bandai goes for part former to create different modes for different needs.

No, they don't. The wings offered with the VF HI METAL VF-1 are as follows:

• Wings with pylon ports to plug in the missle pylons
  • Wings sans pylon ports for a clean look(the pegs stick out)
  • Apparently shorter wings for battroid mode to match the animation

I don't think shorter wings are included for battroid mode. From what I can read I think it's just the option of having a clean wing (no missiles) vs. wing with missiles. What this suggests to me is that Bandai has opted to make the whole wing swappable instead of us having to deal with teeny tiny pegs for the missiles.

Edited by Vifam7

The bummer about swappable wings is that, if the missiles are already connected on one set of the wings then we'll need yet another set of wings with Reaction Weapons attached if/when the Tamashii web exclusive super parts are annouced.

Because what Yamato did is perfect transformation valkyrie toy and Bandai goes for part former to create different modes for different needs.

That's kind of like calling Yamato's 1/60 a partsformer because it comes with interchangable hands. ;)

i personally prefer the v.2's articulated hands that makes it technically PT... never had any use for those fixed-pose hands that comes w/ the v.2 1/60's. plus it's a minor pain when those swappable hands for smaller figs gets loose and can't hold a weapon as firmly as it could when it's bnew.

Edited by m0n5t3r

What doesn't look encouraging?

The size? Or because Bandai is supplying smaller swappable wings for Battroid mode?

Personally I like what I'm seeing, and I like the fact that Bandai is trying to address all modes of VF-1.

I'm pretty much sick and tired of Valks being solely designed on fighter mode and having garbage compromises for the other two modes!

All those swapping parts and the wings.

What swapping parts? The only thing that seems to require swapping are the landing gears and the hands (though I recall seeing integrated hands in a prior photo). Everything else appears to be an optional. Swapping the wings seems to be an option, not a requirement.

Btw, to repeat, the Figure Oh page that I see above says nothing about swappable wings for battroid mode. It only mentions about a clean wing and a wing with missiles. That said, I see the difference in wing length. Anyone have a bigger scan of that page?

With regards to the 2 different battroids seen on the Figure Oh page, it's barely legible but it seems to say the one on the left is the final production version and the one the right is the prototype we've been seeing up til now.

Edited by Vifam7

What swapping parts? The only thing that seems to require swapping are the landing gears and the hands (though I recall seeing integrated hands in a prior photo). Everything else appears to be an optional. Swapping the wings seems to be an option, not a requirement.

Btw, to repeat, the Figure Oh page that I see above says nothing about swappable wings for battroid mode. It only mentions about a clean wing and a wing with missiles. That said, I see the difference in wing length. Anyone have a bigger scan of that page?

With regards to the 2 different battroids seen on the Figure Oh page, it's barely legible but it seems to say the one on the left is the final production version and the one the right is the prototype we've been seeing up til now.

post-19-127462859216_thumb.jpg

and the heat shield and gunpod.

That's kind of like calling Yamato's 1/60 a partsformer because it comes with interchangable hands. ;)

Nope, Yamato has everything on the toy and you don't have to remove parts or swap parts in each mode so it's still perfect transformation, those hands are optional.

On Bandai, you do need to swap parts so it's part former.

You might not need to swap parts on the Bandai either. It does have fist that retract into the arms, you don't NEED to use the landing gear or the gun, so the only question is the heatshield. The Takatoku is a perfect transformable toy without a heatshield (and it can't stow the gun in fighter) so if this thing can transform with the canopy shouldn't it be considered a perfect transformation too? There are degrees to the level of 'perfection' a toy's transformation achieves. My guess is the only part you'll absolutely need to swap is that heatshield, I'm guessing it has a groove for the chest that the canopy doesn't.

Nope, Yamato has everything on the toy and you don't have to remove parts or swap parts in each mode so it's still perfect transformation, those hands are optional.

On Bandai, you do need to swap parts so it's part former.

Nope, I was referring to the wings. You don't have to swap the wings, so using them in reference to partsforming is the same as calling swappable hands partsforming.

Either way, neiter Yamato's toys nor Bandai's can truly be called "perfect transformation" anyway, so it's a moot point.

Uh... why wouldn't you be able to call the Yamato a "perfect transformation" toy? I think some of you believe there is a concrete definition of "perfect transformation" and it's not at all the same thing as what the term meant when it was originally used. There's clearly a difference between "perfect transformation" and "perfect for you transformation."

Uh... why wouldn't you be able to call the Yamato a "perfect transformation" toy? I think some of you believe there is a concrete definition of "perfect transformation" and it's not at all the same thing as what the term meant when it was originally used. There's clearly a difference between "perfect transformation" and "perfect for you transformation."

I'm playing devil's advocate - going by what others have said in the past it can't be considered "perfect transformation" because the intake covers have to be removed. ;)

I don't personally take that strict of a view on it. As long as the base unit doesn't have to come apart for transformation (such as legs and arms)that's "perfect" enough for me.

I'm playing devil's advocate - going by what others have said in the past it can't be considered "perfect transformation" because the intake covers have to be removed. ;)

I don't personally take that strict of a view on it. As long as the base unit doesn't have to come apart for transformation (such as legs and arms)that's "perfect" enough for me.

I do agree with you that it's considered perfect enough if I don't have to detach and attach or swap parts during the transformation on the main unit. Side covers, neck covers, fixed pose hands are something I will regarded as optional parts to detail up the anime magic when it comes to toy.

If you have to go that far to have working intak covers, then another bug I will complain is the cockpit doesn't rotate to face up in battroid mode. :lol: