HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Wait - I'm gone like a week and Pizza the Hut is already banned from Macrossworld!?

:lol:

Pete

You were gone? Did you get busted by those cops for flying your Haruhi colors again?

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...p;pagenumber=24

And as for why...well, probably just for being Pizza the Hutt. Does anyone really need a reason to ban him anymore?

Was Gort really Pizza? I thought he was Babygirl83.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...mp;pagenumber=5

If Gort wasn't him and just another fan asking very legitimate questions, I suspect blaming Pizza is now another blanket statement MEMO and co. can use to ban anyone.

Edited by Einherjar

If Gort wasn't him and just another fan asking very legitimate questions, I suspect blaming Pizza is now another blanket statement MEMO and co. can use to ban anyone.

Well, he's now getting the medicine he dished out to many people. I think I got accused of having multiple accounts over there by Pizza, when clearly, it was just some other guy asking the same "why aren't things happening at all" question. Those damn Macross Purists. Now, everyone that gets banned will probably be Pizza, who knows. It may be him only 5% of the time.

I'm pretty sure Gort was Pizza. Gort held all the same positions (Robotech is great and all, but HG needs to work harder to please the fans; oh, and the Maia reissue sucks just as hard as the original) and had the same grammatical quirks (commas instead of peroids, and no spaces after punctuation).

Babygirl83, of course, also has those quirks. We'll see if "she" starts posting more or not...

Well, he's now getting the medicine he dished out to many people. I think I got accused of having multiple accounts over there by Pizza, when clearly, it was just some other guy asking the same "why aren't things happening at all" question. Those damn Macross Purists. Now, everyone that gets banned will probably be Pizza, who knows. It may be him only 5% of the time.

And like clockwork, everything is back at square one, ready to start the whole process again.

For any users on rt.com checking out this thread; when Kevin Mckeever says something like "People have said the same things you have been saying back then and they were proven wrong," stop all attempts at arguing with him. "Proven wrong," is code for "got banned" indiscriminately from the site. Knowing that, who would want to be proven wrong?

what I'd like to know is why hes so determined to stay on that site?

I'm pretty sure Gort was Pizza. Gort held all the same positions (Robotech is great and all, but HG needs to work harder to please the fans; oh, and the Maia reissue sucks just as hard as the original) and had the same grammatical quirks (commas instead of peroids, and no spaces after punctuation).

Babygirl83, of course, also has those quirks. We'll see if "she" starts posting more or not...

So, was Pizza perma-banned over here? If not, I can only hope he has learned the art of tact, and respect for a board. Anyways, Seto, you brought up some other guy on the production forum. I noticed there are a few of them. Ahchu, and the guy FranktechB. Do you know their positions on all of the debate? I don't read much over there, so I don't know if these guys post a lot or not.

Like I told Gubaba, it's only now that he is a troll. Before, he was a fan with connections to the in crowd even though he was pretty much being used for something, but now he's alone.

In his own mind, he probably thinks he's speaking truth to power, as well as wreaking mighty, righteous vengeance 'pon those who have wronged him.

Sounds like a certain podcaster. Not much seperates them. For some reason, that reminds me, wasn't Memo planning an AX 2010 Robotech celebration, or fan gathering? I thought the big announcement was on the 15th, or did I miss something?

Anyways, Seto, you brought up some other guy on the production forum. I noticed there are a few of them. Ahchu, and the guy FranktechB. Do you know their positions on all of the debate? I don't read much over there, so I don't know if these guys post a lot or not.

Does it matter at this point? They'll probably end up the same way as "Pizza" if they don't get fed up with constantly getting the run around by the usual people. And the people in charge have no problem having it end either way.

Edited by Einherjar

Does it matter at this point? They'll probably end up the same way as "Pizza" if they don't get fed up with constantly getting the run around by the usual people. And the people in charge have no problem having it end either way.

I'm curious, cause while some seem hell bent on getting HG's pr to admit the truth, some have some sort of in between view. What's interesting is that the unspoken truth that Kevin and staff really hate to bring up is that there are more and more fans showing a frustration and disinterest in the franchise. Yes, while the fact they still talk does show some interest or attention, it doesn't show it in any positive manner.

I'm curious, cause while some seem hell bent on getting HG's pr to admit the truth, some have some sort of in between view. What's interesting is that the unspoken truth that Kevin and staff really hate to bring up is that there are more and more fans showing a frustration and disinterest in the franchise. Yes, while the fact they still talk does show some interest or attention, it doesn't show it in any positive manner.

That should be expected when the only thing the company does now is stall indefinitely while teasing about an optimistic future from time to time. The more they do it, the worse it will get. In the end, they'll just wear down anybody who can't take it anymore by "proving them wrong."

Trying to have a serious conversation about it is pretty much futile, especially when you have a PR guy and yes men moderators like these.

Edited by Einherjar

While it doesn't show it in a positive manner. From a PR perspective, any interest whether good in the end is interest. Let's just see how long they can push it in that direction before it bites them in the butt.

That should be expected when the only thing the company does now is stall indefinitely while teasing about an optimistic future from time to time. The more they do it, the worse it will get. In the end, they'll just wear down anybody who can't take it anymore by "proving them wrong."

Trying to have a serious conversation about it is pretty much futile, especially when you have a PR guy and yes men moderators like these.

Much expected from a corporate site. This is why it doesn't surprise me at all. Corporations tend to do that. Its not fair to the fans but unfortunately that's the way it is.

As Gubaba said, it looks like Gort really was PTH. I don't doubt that he's also Babygirl83, but we'll see how that added bit of creepiness pans out.

I did too... my ex got banned from RT.com because Pizza accused her of being me with a clone account, and all because she stepped up and started saying that the whole "how big is the SDF-2" thing was stupid because there really isn't any info on the SDF-2 in the Robotech canon. A couple other people reportedly also got banned for allegedly being me in disguise, so it wouldn't surprise me if Pizza has become the site's new catch-all excuse for banning undesirables and people who question the company line.

And like clockwork, everything is back at square one, ready to start the whole process again.

Business as usual for Harmony Gold. Instead of listening to customer concerns and complaints with a logical mind, they prefer to get defensive and hostile, then insist that the complaining/concerned customer is talking out of their arse, and follow it up with a series of vague, unsubstantiated assertions about the strength and success of the property in lieu of actually addressing the concerns/complaints at hand.

In short, they've adopted a philosophy somewhere between "the customer is always wrong" and "the customer is always an idiot"... it's just indicative of their incompetence. For any company with a clue, treating a customer like that would be grounds for immediate dismissal. Of course, since Harmony Gold sees Robotech as little more than a side business or idle hobby with only marginal profit potential, they have no real incentive to bother with trifles like decent customer service.

Somehow, I suspect we wouldn't understand the answer even if he explained it to us.

No, I really don't know what all their positions are. I usually avoid Robotech.com and RobotechX whenever possible, and have resorted to telling off my friends whenever they send me a link to a thread on one of those sites and say "hey isn't that stupid". I'm free of the whole Robotech mess, and I'm much better off for it. As Robelwell202 found out on his own, being a Robotech fan just isn't worth the trouble, grief, and drama. It's much easier, and frankly much more gratifying, to be a Macross purist.

As to why some are hell-bent on getting Harmony Gold public relations mook Kevin McKeever to stop hiding behind their usual vague, unquantifiable statements of "all's well" and admit the truth, you'll find most of the people doing that are the people Maverick and MEMO refer to as the "malcontents". To the administration, they're ungrateful whiners who can't just be happy with what they've got. In practice, they're Robotech fans who're fed up with the empty promises and idle platitudes of the Harmony Gold administration, and would very much like them to provide tangible proof to back up the claims they're making or shut the hell up. The guys who straddle the fence are the ones who're worried about the future of the franchise because Harmony Gold seems to have reneged on its promise to keep the momentum from Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles going and don't want the franchise to slip into another 20 year coma.

As Robelwell202 found out on his own, being a Robotech fan just isn't worth the trouble, grief, and drama. It's much easier, and frankly much more gratifying, to be a Macross purist.

At the risk of sounding like some vacant-minded born-again fool, I have to say that, in the time since I've dropped RT (Roughly two weeks ago), it's been a refreshing time.

I can only say that there's this feeling of losing a TON of unneccessary weight. I've been able to concentrate on a lot of interesting stuff, thanks to the vacancy left by the complete lack of RT-bullschwat.

YAY!

At the risk of sounding like some vacant-minded born-again fool, I have to say that, in the time since I've dropped RT (Roughly two weeks ago), it's been a refreshing time.

I can only say that there's this feeling of losing a TON of unneccessary weight. I've been able to concentrate on a lot of interesting stuff, thanks to the vacancy left by the complete lack of RT-bullschwat.

YAY!

Does that mean you're done with your fanfic? I never got to read it, but it sounded interesting enough.

YAY!

Goodness, maybe this thread should be renamed ROBOTECH Fans Anonymous.

Wow, Memo finally responded in to my polite request to show proof that Robotech is alive and well. Too bad he didn't translate some of it like I asked. Of course, he totally didn't understand my statement that, though I know people talk and mention Robotech all the time, that doesn't mean the franchise is thriving. Just means people are nostalgic. Kevin and Memo really got riled up by my statement that Robotech is in a coma even though I tried to be positive and say I know we'll see Shadow Rising someday, hopefully within a decade. So maybe Robotech is in hibernation, instead of a coma, and just farts out the occasional niche product to remind people it still exists.

Still, I actually still get a kick out of the "debate" at Robotech.com because I know my claims do have some merit to them and my opinion is my opinion no matter what they say. Of course, if they show us something that'd be a different story. It was pretty interesting to find out Gort was PTH which, after thinking about his now deleted posts, seems to make sense since his account was activated during last week's debate.

I still love Robotech and even Shadow Chronicles was acceptable since I was just happy they finally released something other than a crappy comic book with even worse art (which I still bought). Of course, with a complete lack of any new official story material, I've turned my attention to Macross and Gundam for the past 15 years or so. And, yes, I go by "ahchu" on RT.com.

Goodness, maybe this thread should be renamed ROBOTECH Fans Anonymous.

Nah, if you were looking for one thread that was guaranteed to encourage people to quit the Robotech fandom once and for all it would definitely be this one over in Robotech.com's Series & Stories section. Your mileage may vary, but almost any thread that tries to talk seriously about the continuity and/or technology of the Robotech universe(s) can usually be held up as a pretty good example of why being a Robotech fan is a stupendous waste of time.

The funniest testimonial we've ever had, though, came well before this thread came into existence:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=9057

I came.

I read.

I lol'd.

Bricks were shat.

Are we sure that was really Khyron_Prime? Because if so... ROFLMFAO!

Well would you look at that. Was that the infamous Pie-Guy?

Makes me wonder if people take cartoons too seriously. I thought cartoons were supposed to be fun?

If that genuinely was Khyron_Prime, then yes... that was the infamous man who pied Tommy Yune.

It'd be a phenomenally bad idea to judge any fandom based on people like Khyron_Prime (unless of course they're the entire population of the fandom, which is rapidly becoming the case with Robotech). He was one unbalanced guy, who thought Robotech 3000 was a great idea cut down in its prime, partnered with another like-minded wackjob who posted a big, wordy article about how Robotech 3000's downfall was entirely Netter Digital's fault, and that it would otherwise have set the world on fire and blown all of our minds, and put up a crybaby appeal for people to send hate (e-)mail to me, Keith, jwong00, and one other guy whose name I've forgotten because we were daring to say that Macross was better than Robotech. He's the same sort of belligerent fan as Doug Bendo, just not quite as venomous.

Wow, Memo finally responded in to my polite request to show proof that Robotech is alive and well. Too bad he didn't translate some of it like I asked. Of course, he totally didn't understand my statement that, though I know people talk and mention Robotech all the time, that doesn't mean the franchise is thriving. Just means people are nostalgic. Kevin and Memo really got riled up by my statement that Robotech is in a coma even though I tried to be positive and say I know we'll see Shadow Rising someday, hopefully within a decade. So maybe Robotech is in hibernation, instead of a coma, and just farts out the occasional niche product to remind people it still exists.

You do know those guys monitor this site, right? At times, it's been enough to get people "proven wrong."

When Kevin McKeever banned me from Robotech.com he mentioned some of the incendiary things I had posted here. He also then implied I had multiple accounts, said my banning was temporary, then deleted the account. I think anymoon.com gets more page views than robotech.com though so I'm not too sad :) Okay, maybe not.

Stating the blatantly obvious does not make one a prophet. (insert smiley here...)

It does if you work as a business consultant... I know guys who are paid frankly ridiculous amounts of money to tell people blindingly obvious things.

You do know those guys monitor this site, right? At times, it's been enough to get people "proven wrong."

's one of the reasons I say that we shouldn't excuse MEMO's behavior just because he tries to present the illusion of civility when he posts here... he's well-known for monitoring this and other threads for signs of Rt.com and RTX members coming here to criticize Robotech so they can come up with an excuse to ban them on those sites.

When Kevin McKeever banned me from Robotech.com he mentioned some of the incendiary things I had posted here. He also then implied I had multiple accounts, said my banning was temporary, then deleted the account. I think anymoon.com gets more page views than robotech.com though so I'm not too sad :) Okay, maybe not.

McKeever and Yune seem alarmingly sensitive... they just can't stand criticism of any kind.

McKeever and Yune seem alarmingly sensitive... they just can't stand criticism of any kind.

Truer than true. One of the things Steve and co. got their panties all twisted in was a comment I made about the RTSC poster. I had said something more to the fact of "Who made that poster? It's pretty bad" or something like that. Anyways, not knowing really if it came from an outside graphics design co. or from the staff, I found out it came from Tommy. However, the funny part was when Steve accused me of "attacking the staff", for criticizing a damn poster. As we discussed it over and over, he then asked me how I would feel if someone said that my Valkyrie customs sucked?...My response, "If someone said they suck then I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it. Usually since I do the best work I possibly can, it shows in my work. They wouldn't say that because it is good work."

I think he got even more bent out of shape when I told him that, cause there was no response to that and other questions I posed. Kinda proved my point though, when you just throw crap out there, and it's half-assed, don't expect everyone to join in on your smelling flower parade. If it sucks, you're gonna know. But, in coming full circle, yes, criticism, even blunt but true, is taken way to the extreme by them. Like I've said, they've been in a defensive mode for so long, they don't know how to interact with the fans normally now. Every question is answered with either a lie (when there needn't be one), or they skirt the answer altogether.

Truer than true. One of the things Steve and co. got their panties all twisted in was a comment I made about the RTSC poster. [...] the funny part was when Steve accused me of "attacking the staff", for criticizing a damn poster.

[...]

But, in coming full circle, yes, criticism, even blunt but true, is taken way to the extreme by them. Like I've said, they've been in a defensive mode for so long, they don't know how to interact with the fans normally now. Every question is answered with either a lie (when there needn't be one), or they skirt the answer altogether.

To be frank, I find it almost unbearably pathetic that the supposed professionals at Harmony Gold are so ill-equipped to cope with criticism of their work that, to them, it becomes a personal insult. It's really disturbing to see the owners of an entertainment franchise try to ban critical discussion of their work on the franchise's official site. In the end, they're not really accomplishing anything by doing that, they're just making themselves look silly. I wonder how long it'll be before they're trying to defend Robotech by saying "it's not for critics" like Kevin Smith did with Jersey Girl.

What really surprised me was that, while Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION were busy putting a stop to any and all criticism of Shadow Chronicles using every excuse they could think of, Tommy was actually willing to listen to fan feedback after he announced that he was retconning protoculture out of the 1st and 2nd generation mecha as a power source... we actually had a reasonable discussion that didn't end in him telling me I'm picking on him unfairly or that I was attacking the staff. Of course, since he didn't seem to care what fans thought, that probably helped him ignore the more sulferous remarks directed at him by the die-hards who saw the removal of protoculture as an attempt to copy Macross. Accusations of attempting to make Robotech more like Macross have been dogging Tommy for a while now... I'm genuinely curious to know what he thinks of that. If he really is drawing on Macross for his "inspiration", the very least we can do is giving him points for being smart enough to imitate someone who actually knows what they're doing.