HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

To be fair, some of the dripping-with-sarcasm responses to that post are pretty hilarious.

Generally speaking, when you see someone making a serious attempt to defend Carl Macek's artistic integrity and the quality of his work it's a pretty good sign that hilarity is about to ensue.

...and I'm real good at doing stories and stuff, like all about Robotech and Zor and the Minmei.

Y'know, I had always suspected that Robotech's Minmei was a member of an alien race cursed with the psychic power to turn people into masochists and an irrational compulsion to sing... it's nice to know I'm no longer the sole proponent of that theory.

Finally joined in on the fun. Many thanks to all as this thread entertains me so! HG and RT "debating" is fun to read.

I'd welcome you to MacrossWorld, but since you're already well aware I'm not terribly fond of you for standing by and letting the idiot brigade overrun what may very well have been the last bastion of common sense and impartiality in the Robotech fandom, I won't waste your time with insincere pleasantries.

Just a quick correction as to what RTX's announcement was all about. While RTX has "plugged" convention panels in the past. If the 25-year anniversary announcement plugged anything, it was JT's The Protoculture Times podcast linky here. This was corrected (sort of) in a later post. As far as RT.com Lite is concerned, well that's another story. . .

Ah, my bad... of course the inherent hilarity in RobotechX plugging a podcast that is overwhelming critical of exactly the kind of overly-political mess you've allowed the site to become no doubt has your sides splitting with barely-suppressed mirth. I know I'm laughing long and hard over here. :lol:

So what do Robotech fans have to look forward in regards to the 25th anniversary of the comatose franchise? Probably not much. If anything my guess is that there will be something at Comic Con 2010. Maybe? Not holding my breath. On this side of the coin its the wait and see game. Should have re-discovered Robotech five years from now instead of 2007. When it will either release another movie or be resting in peace

Okay, serious points for the realistic outlook... it's a welcome change from the usual course of events we follow when a Robotech fan registers here. They usually come in hard and fast with the denial and insist that all's right and well in the Robotech franchise.

Ah! Measurment by Robotech Protoculture...

Always good for when realism doesn't matter, and you deem your audience to all be idiots...

Like I said, Robotech's "protoculture" is an all-purpose spackle for filling plot holes of all sizes.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Finally joined in on the fun. Many thanks to all as this thread entertains me so! HG and RT "debating" is fun to read.

Well, we DO try to see the funny side of the whole thing over here...most of us do, at any rate.

Anyway, welcome!minmay2.gif

So what do Robotech fans have to look forward in regards to the 25th anniversary of the comatose franchise? Probably not much. If anything my guess is that there will be something at Comic Con 2010. Maybe? Not holding my breath. On this side of the coin its the wait and see game. Should have re-discovered Robotech five years from now instead of 2007. When it will either release another movie or be resting in peace

That's good in all, but over time I've learned that as people have been re-introduced to Robotech and are optimistic about the future, there's always others who have been down the same road long before, literally years, still waiting for the same thing. The response has been... mixed.

While this is a "debate thread" there is one good thing I'd like to point out that is going on for the 25th anniversary. http://www.rt25celebration.com/ This appears to be a very promising even filled with lots of fun events. I encourage anyone who's a Robotech fan, and has an interest in attending to make the trip. I plan to be at this event. Seems to be a truly one time event, and not to be missed.

P.S. I have more info if you're interested. It's not my event, but I can answer any questions you may have.

Edited by Jasonc

being a robotech fan is great, I mean who wouldn't want this?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;picture=out

It looks like a fisher price toy ^_^

While this is a "debate thread" there is one good thing I'd like to point out that is going on for the 25th anniversary. http://www.rt25celebration.com/ This appears to be a very promising even filled with lots of fun events. I encourage anyone who's a Robotech fan, and has an interest in attending to make the trip. I plan to be at this event. Seems to be a truly one time event, and not to be missed.

P.S. I have more info if you're interested. It's not my event, but I can answer any questions you may have.

Would love to go but cannot because of work =[ for shame

Edited by HappyPenguins

being a robotech fan is great, I mean who wouldn't want this?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product...amp;picture=out

It looks like a fisher price toy ^_^

Would love to go but cannot because of work =[ for shame

Wasn't that cancelled anyways? I heard the last Beta did too poorly in sales, and they aren't going to put that one out. Time will tell.

Nuh-uh. Mav said that all the Robotech toys are very brittle and delicate and fall apart if you look at 'em the wrong way. It's MACROSS toys that are like Fisher Price: sturdy, tough, and crude. ;)

*buys one and looks at it wrong*

it's the macross toys that have always had the better quality

period. I bought a few in the past off ebay and even got a decent looking figure of millia with it. soooo much better than that god awful matchbox figure of her.

So, could the Japanese who were involved in Robotech potentially be invited as guest to this? From the link, I'm predicting voice actors, Michael Bradley, people who worked on the novels and comics, and those in HG could be in attendance.

It's celebrating the original version of Robotech, not Robotech now, so they don't have current staff scheduled to attend. Also, if it was possible to have original Japanese creators attend, it would've been done. Paying for them to fly out, and all that is quite expensive, as I'm sure you're aware of, and would probably put the cost of the event out of most people's reach. As for comic artists, and novel authors, I don't know. HG isn't running this event, so this isn't supporting the franchise in terms of supporting the company monetarily. This is just a celebration with staff and VAs that worked on it back in 84-85. There's nothing political about it.

It's celebrating the original version of Robotech, not Robotech now, so they don't have current staff scheduled to attend. Also, if it was possible to have original Japanese creators attend, it would've been done. Paying for them to fly out, and all that is quite expensive, as I'm sure you're aware of, and would probably put the cost of the event out of most people's reach. As for comic artists, and novel authors, I don't know. HG isn't running this event, so this isn't supporting the franchise in terms of supporting the company monetarily. This is just a celebration with staff and VAs that worked on it back in 84-85. There's nothing political about it.

Please tell me MEMO/Mavvy isn't involved in this one bit. Sounds cool though, and for once it isn't just one big Tony Oliver/Rick Hunter wankfest. ^_^

Funny though, I didn't see Macek's name on the guestlist...

Wasn't that cancelled anyways? I heard the last Beta did too poorly in sales, and they aren't going to put that one out. Time will tell.

Aw hell, the green "beta" didn't sell?! I knew they should'a slapped "Limited Variant Edition" on the box.

To answer your question, Memo and Maverick didn't plan this, they wouldn't have the clout to pull this off, unless they had help of HG staff. So far, it appears HG is only doing the convention tour, and Memo hasn't announced his AX/25yr shindig.

To answer your question, Memo and Maverick didn't plan this, they wouldn't have the clout to pull this off, unless they had help of HG staff. So far, it appears HG is only doing the convention tour, and Memo hasn't announced his AX/25yr shindig.

My guess is MEMO's probably going to wait and see how successful this RT25 thing is before he dips his toes on his own and finally goes bankrupt.

Maybe it is just an innocent get together. Like Jasonc said, not political at all.

Meanwhile, Carl Macek weeps in his brand spanking new executive office in Harmony Gold. :unsure: *edit*

Edited by chrisk

I'd welcome you to MacrossWorld, but since you're already well aware I'm not terribly fond of you for standing by and letting the idiot brigade overrun what may very well have been the last bastion of common sense and impartiality in the Robotech fandom, I won't waste your time with insincere pleasantries.

Oh but how could I not be aware. You sent me the most flattering email I've ever received!

Well, we DO try to see the funny side of the whole thing over here...most of us do, at any rate.

Anyway, welcome!minmay2.gif

Thank you sir.

yay my online lover has arrived! ^_^

lol kidding, glad you finally joined ;]

Honey Pie! I forget you frequent these waters. I've been putting it off, mostly because much like your site (TRU). I receive updates to forums via RSS on the Opera browser installed on my mobile.

Why is it all these RT fans gravitate toward this thread first??? :rolleyes:

Well isn't it clear? HG and Robotech Debates. Question should be: Why wouldn't they?

Ah, very interested in this event. If anything to plug it on RTX and let people know about it if possible. I'll send you a PM.

Why is it all these RT fans gravitate toward this thread first??? :rolleyes:

Some are just looking for a fight. Others are so wrapped up in self-delusion that they honestly think they can change our minds and instill us with hope for Robotech's future by telling us all how wrong we are to think Macross is the better and more successful show.

While this is a "debate thread" there is one good thing I'd like to point out that is going on for the 25th anniversary

Isn't that Tom Bateman's anti-HG shindig? I remember he was waxing poetic about how he was going to throw a big private 25th anniversary party, get as much of the actual talent involved as he could, and then leave Steve, Tommy, and the other Harmony Gold mooks to flap in the wind.

Hmmm... turns out it isn't the event Tom Bateman was talking about doing last year. I wonder what became of the plans for that? Still, I can't see anyone other than the most die-hard fans wanting to spend $70 for little more than dinner and a panel discussion with the cast. An event like this would've been an ideal platform to make the big announcements about the future of Robotech (assuming, of course, that HG is holding out... unlikely, but still possible) and try to promote new material instead of the endless low-key convention panels that seem dedicated to fluffing Carl and Tommy's egos. It doesn't surprise me that an event like this isn't Harmony Gold's doing though...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Some are just looking for a fight. Others are so wrapped up in self-delusion that they honestly think they can change our minds and instill us with hope for Robotech's future by telling us all how wrong we are to think Macross is the better and more successful show.

Now, now...no one's tried to do that in a long, long time. Except VFTF1, that is. ^_^

I definitely do not have enough time or money to challenge the crazier ones when it comes to showing their love. I'm just fine with my $20 Revoltech DYRL Hikaru Valkyrie, older model kits, and etc.

Nope, can't do it. I'd be too tempted to brinng as big a boombox as I could find, and blast Seikan Hikou at everyone there.

Now, now...no one's tried to do that in a long, long time. Except VFTF1, that is. ^_^

Eh... there's a world of difference between just being preached at by the Robotech die-hards who come here looking for trouble and actively trying to engage them in discussion. Why bother wasting our time taking them seriously when they can't even form a cogent argument?

Eh... there's a world of difference between just being preached at by the Robotech die-hards who come here looking for trouble and actively trying to engage them in discussion. Why bother wasting our time taking them seriously when they can't even form a cogent argument?

Because their denial is just so damned cute?

Those kind of fans never last around here. At most they're left stalking the site making it personal like what MEMO, LSC, and doug pretty much do. Like it matters anyway, in the end they will be in the same place they've been for about 4 years now; waiting for a franchise barely showing life which they pay with their wallets to go on. Plus, they're relying on people who aren't really that talented in the first place to keep it going. Hell of a situation to openly put yourself in.

Maybe that's part of my disappointed with the RT kids that come here. If this thread is on their first set of stops, then they're here to cause trouble. Which earns them very low marks and makes me inclined to ban them right then and there. We have had and continue to have people come here just for this thread. They never even bothered to see that we have a Toys and Models sections, or even have threads about other things.