HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

In other news, Robotech: Genesis has officially been killed by the HG legal team: http://www.robotechx.com/forums/25-robotec...;start=10#10113

Here's what I want to know; a fan project that people have been working on and which the trademark holders never paid attention to for years suddenly gets into legal trouble and given a C&D out of nowhere? If HG was going to do this anyway, why did they let work on this go on for so long? They were in constant communication with the fandom for years and they could have done something years in advance. I guess I'm asking what changed between then and now to change their minds? Because it got advertised on rtx.com?

HG does not deserve the love and passion these people definitely had for the franchise they made and call their own.

Edited by Einherjar

Here's what I want to know; a fan project that people have been working on and which the trademark holders never paid attention to for years suddenly gets into legal trouble and given a C&D out of nowhere? If HG was going to do this anyway, why did they let work on this go on for so long? They were in constant communication with the fandom for years and they could have done something years in advance. I guess I'm asking what changed between then and now to change their minds? Because it got advertised on rtx.com?

HG does not deserve the love and passion these people definitely had for the franchise they made and call their own.

It's quite simple, really...

HG let progress on this thing go on as long as they could, issued te C&D order, then started taking the ideas of the project and began figuring out a way to make these ideas their own.

It saves them from embarrassment, and it saves them the trouble of coming up with something on theirown.

Adding more to this, the whole thing that got me involved on the licensing debate was this thread over at robotech.com

On this thread, this same person that Jason C is talking about gave some "inside" information to the bloke that started the thread. Supposedly, this information come originally from Tommy with his ok for this information to be released.

The thread focuses mainly on the distribution and the spanish dub of shadow chronicles in Latin America but towards the end of the first post, the focus moves to the licensing issue of Macross.

According to this character, HG owns all rights of Macross and DYRL outside of Japan, he then states that Kawamori and Mikimoto are very happy about WB using their designs on the Robotech live action movie. He also mentions something about a contract not allowing them going outside of Japan and that all the rumors about them being mad (at Robotech) are just fan rumors.

On a personal level, I do not like this kind of misinformation, so eventually I called this character out on some of his BS and obviously, this landed me on the ban list on the website.

What I find funny about this situation is the distance that some of this people will go in order to keep the integrity of their presence in the fandom.

One thing is when you work for the company and another thing is when you kiss so much butt with the hopes that maybe, one day, the master will look your way and throw you a bone.

At the end of the day, is just a freaking cartoon that was very successful (within the context of it's own production) and sparked the interests of those who saw it, but outside of this, as a Robotech fan, I fail to see how Robotech is this franchise of epic proportions with hundreds of thousands of fans through the world.

I normally don't like to rant for some like this, but I just happened to remember that thread at robotech.com and decided to share my experience with you guys.

Regards...

More like staining your nose from constant brownnosing. :blink:

Well, I'm sure RT.com is a somewhat saner place now that the Deputy Witch Hunter "got served" by being banned, but yeah...most of the conversations over there really make me want to tear my hair out. RTX seems much more chill, and (most of) the people there seem to be a little more...savvy? Knowledgeable? Something like that.

Honestly, considering the number of complaints I'm still receiving on a weekly basis about the sorry state of affairs over there on Robotech.com, I don't think much was improved by Pizza's banning. True, he's not jumping on people at MEMO's behest anymore, but that hasn't stopped other people from stepping up to the challenge of making that place as hostile to intelligent discussion as humanly possible. For the time being, it just means MEMO has to get his own hands dirty for a change.

In other news, Robotech: Genesis has officially been killed by the HG legal team: http://www.robotechx.com/forums/25-robotec...;start=10#10113

Y'know, if this exact thing hadn't happened at least a dozen times since I first got involved in the online Robotech fandom back in '03, I might've been able to feel sorry for them. Instead, the only emotion this news of Harmony Gold's latest dick move brings is exasperation that UEG Productions has such poor pattern recognition skills that they honestly didn't see this coming. It might seem a little bit cruel, but it's nobody's fault but their own for pursuing a fan project that was practically guaranteed to end with a cease and desist notice. To the best of my knowledge, they never bothered to check with Harmony Gold to see if they had any objections, nor did they bother researching it to see if they could get away under fair use... so I really can't bring myself to feel bad on their behalf.

Hell, I can't even muster an insincere platitude about what a loss their project's abrupt termination will be for the whole Robotech fandom. I've been aware of the project ever since it's inception, and during my tenure on RT.com I was repeatedly exposed to their concept art and trailers, all of which gave me the distinct impression that they didn't have a goddamn clue what they were doing. It takes a certain, special variety of suck to take some of the ugliest designs from Southern Cross and make them even uglier than they already were. What they did to my poor VF-1 Valkyrie was practically criminal. Apparently in their minds, smooth and rounded surfaces are the enemy, so every mecha is liberally covered in panel seams and sports more ridges and jagged edges than a bag of Ruffles potato chips. When you combine ugly designs, awkward animation, and stilted music, what you get is a losing proposition (or a direct-to-DVD movie called Shadow Chronicles). Either way, I can't really bring myself to see the project being shut down as a great loss.

Cold? Maybe. Cruel? A bit. Honest? Totally.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I would take that C&D order and wipe my @ss with it and mail it back to them. It's a fan work, and it's not being done for profit. It seems more like a scare tactic than anything. I'd like to see what argument they have and see if it'd hold up in a court. They should be sending Memo a C&D order as well, since he's working on a fan film LAM of Robotech. they should also sue the pants off of that guy who did a short LAM of the Max and Milia date knife fight. I know they do their fan works for free, but they're spreading the franchise out, and god forbid that HG help keep the franchise going.

Seriously though, they should continue, and see what exactly they'd do. They have no ground, as provided by current evidence. Since the UEG guys are in another country, they should continue, and make HG spend craploads of money to fly out to that country, go to court, and win or lose, all it would do is inhibit fan work. Do you really think HG would pay that much money to only do that?

The C&D order is a scare tactic. Legally, HG can't do anything about a fan production because they don't own the IP of the designs. Its a new story ,with new animation and artwork, and as far as the law is concerned, the only people who can intervene are the IP owners.

Even still, do they really think HG would spend that much money over court just for something that isn't gonna make any money to begin with? They were planning to release it as a fan project, for free, and with no strings attached. It'd be like sueing someone for Drawing pictures of Rick Hunter.

I would take that C&D order and wipe my @ss with it and mail it back to them. It's a fan work, and it's not being done for profit. It seems more like a scare tactic than anything. I'd like to see what argument they have and see if it'd hold up in a court.

Actually, they could make a pretty good case against Robotech Genesis on the grounds that it's derivative of those elements of the Robotech story owned entirely by Harmony Gold (aka all the poo they created to stitch the original shows together). While they can't make any kind of case about the use of Macross designs, they could likely make something of a fuss over the use of Southern Cross and Mospeada designs, since they seem to at least have licenses permitting them to use both. Yes, it's a scare tactic... but not one entirely without teeth.

They should be sending Memo a C&D order as well, since he's working on a fan film LAM of Robotech.

What makes you think they won't if he actually manages to get the project off the ground? The difference between what UEG did and what most fanfilms do is that they were actually on track to release something tangible. When you think about it like that... Harmony Gold probably felt they were being one-upped and resolved to stop it at any cost. :p

Even still, do they really think HG would spend that much money over court just for something that isn't gonna make any money to begin with? They were planning to release it as a fan project, for free, and with no strings attached. It'd be like sueing someone for Drawing pictures of Rick Hunter.

This is Harmony Gold we're talking about... doing stupid, pointless crap that screws over the fans is practically their stock in trade.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

You know, I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure if you've been advertising on HG's website for YEARS that you were making this show and HG did not act on it until now, you can argue pretty successfully that HG had to act sooner. Of course, since there was no money to be made from this project you can't really argue that HG's failure to act caused huge monetary loss but I'm sure there's an argument there to be had.

HG is cute. They cling so hard to Robotech so the failure is their's alone. I'm guessing by Robotech's 30th anniversary HG will have a staff of one dedicated to the brand... one person to simply track where the occasional checks are coming from and calling obscure television networks and asking them to incorporate Robotech into 80s anime marathons. Robotech.com will simply be a redirect to robotechx.com... a site for the fans, paid for by someone else.

This is a very strange day going on in Robotech fandom. I am just shocked at how Harmony Gold really intentionally screws fans and customers.

Well,Atlease all of you can stop worrying that I am the "Luke Skywalker" of Robotech here to convert the "Darth Vader" Seto and cause him to toss someone down the Super Dimensionstar Fortress pit because being told all the flaws of HG and actually seeing it happen potentially killed all faith I have for Robotech while it is in the hands of Harmony Gold.

I will just keep the old Robotech spirit with my Dvd collections and mechas and games and as soon as my Maia exchange comes in,I will do what I can to avoid future Robotech as long as it is in a pathetic company like Harmony Gold.

No for sure I can't to see Memo's face when he is told to stop with his LAM too.

So in a sense my conversion can be seen like Hercule making Majin Buu nice,,not that I am a fat man and Seto is loud like Hercule but you get the idea.

HG kills Robotech with lack of animes and stopping fans.

I will just keep the old Robotech spirit with my Dvd collections and mechas and games and as soon as my Maia exchange comes in,I will do what I can to avoid future Robotech as long as it is in a pathetic company like Harmony Gold.

What the hell is "Robotech spirit"? Is that where you buy three other people's spirits, mash 'em together and pretend that they're yours?

Oh, and don't worry. No one thinks you're Luke Skywalker.

The conversion will only be complete when you stop talking about Robotech altogether and start talking about Macross.

Going from loving Robotech to hating Robotech still leaves you with Robotech in mind. But it doesn't exist. It's all an illusion. Macross is real - the real show that was actually concieved, thought through and done with care.

You can of course still not like it - but then just move on to something totally different. Like Gurren Lagann! IMO it's a total wasteo f time to bitch and moan about Robotech - it's not worth it.

Pete

Well,Atlease all of you can stop worrying that I am the "Luke Skywalker" of Robotech here to convert the "Darth Vader" Seto

I thought you were more of a B1 Battle Droid, myself... :lol:^_^

The conversion will only be complete when you stop talking about Robotech altogether and start talking about Macross.

Going from loving Robotech to hating Robotech still leaves you with Robotech in mind. But it doesn't exist. It's all an illusion. Macross is real - the real show that was actually concieved, thought through and done with care.

You can of course still not like it - but then just move on to something totally different. Like Gurren Lagann! IMO it's a total wasteo f time to bitch and moan about Robotech - it's not worth it.

Pete

There is no spoon.

I would take that C&D order and wipe my @ss with it and mail it back to them. It's a fan work, and it's not being done for profit. It seems more like a scare tactic than anything. I'd like to see what argument they have and see if it'd hold up in a court. They should be sending Memo a C&D order as well, since he's working on a fan film LAM of Robotech. they should also sue the pants off of that guy who did a short LAM of the Max and Milia date knife fight. I know they do their fan works for free, but they're spreading the franchise out, and god forbid that HG help keep the franchise going.

Seriously though, they should continue, and see what exactly they'd do. They have no ground, as provided by current evidence. Since the UEG guys are in another country, they should continue, and make HG spend craploads of money to fly out to that country, go to court, and win or lose, all it would do is inhibit fan work. Do you really think HG would pay that much money to only do that?

As much as it defies logic in a lot of ways, I agree with this advice. HG is only really good at the scare tactics, I doubt that they would really want to spend the money in taking it to court.....

Taksraven

As much as it defies logic in a lot of ways, I agree with this advice. HG is only really good at the scare tactics, I doubt that they would really want to spend the money in taking it to court.....

I disagree.

History shows 1 main thing about HG:

They always spend more money on court battles than on making a decent product.

I mean - look at the past - they have been in tons of court battles to defend their copy right, all while doing nothing to promote, expand or creatively develop it.

Besides - they wouldn't have to "fly" to another country. They could get a reputable international law firm like PriceCoopers or something to represent them abroad and sue whoever it is they wanted sued.

Pete

LOL

You have relation with this scum such as HG, it is really normal ending.

Seriously

If I am Big West, I must give a petition letter to UEG.

It is bare bootleg!!!

SDFF.jpg

SDF-Ocean2.jpg

Henri_J_GLoval_by_RobotechGenesis.jpg

Edited by kresphy

You know, I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure if you've been advertising on HG's website for YEARS that you were making this show and HG did not act on it until now, you can argue pretty successfully that HG had to act sooner. Of course, since there was no money to be made from this project you can't really argue that HG's failure to act caused huge monetary loss but I'm sure there's an argument there to be had.

Granted, it wouldn't reflect well on them in court that they spent six years ignoring the project only to deliver the coup de grace with a cease and desist notice a few weeks before the project would actually produce tangible results. All the same, there are far too many cases where the courts find that waiting on the cease and desist order and/or or not taking it up in court sooner isn't going to let the violator off the hook. In fact, FASA tried exactly that argument when they motioned for summary judgment right away after Harmony Gold took them to court over their use of Macross designs, and the courts said that failing to take action right away didn't constitute a waiver of rights.

Now, Harmony Gold would have a much harder time establishing that UEG's project would damage their bottom line or reputation in some way, but corporate lawyers being the soulless sadists that they are, I'm sure they could concoct at least one way to tentatively prove it to the judge, or construct some other, far more actionable rationale to put a stop to the entire thing.

This is a very strange day going on in Robotech fandom. I am just shocked at how Harmony Gold really intentionally screws fans and customers.

No doubt you'll be even more shocked to learn that this isn't the first time this has happened either... this is just one of the more blatantly dickish moves on their part. For the longest time they were stringing Seifrietti Weisse along about a fan-art/fan-fic collection he wanted to publish, making him jump through hoops and even fire his cover artist because he'd landed on a list of "undesirables" in the eyes of Harmony Gold.

Well,Atlease all of you can stop worrying that I am the "Luke Skywalker" of Robotech here to convert the "Darth Vader" Seto and cause him to toss someone down the Super Dimensionstar Fortress pit

's probably a good thing, because I'm kind of enjoying my life of evil right now... just as soon as I persuade my girlfriend into a skintight leather bodysuit I'll have my evil overlord checklist all rounded out.

do robotech fans honestly believe in some magical sequel (or re-imagining) that is going to fix everything?

someone should have weened them off of this stuff a long time ago.

Yes, many of them do.

I am just shocked at how Harmony Gold really intentionally screws fans and customers.

If you are shocked by anything that HG does you still have a long way to go.........

HG kills Robotech with lack of animes and stopping fans.

Robotech kills Robotech by being inferior product. It is much less than the sum of its parts.

Taksraven

If you are shocked by anything that HG does you still have a long way to go.........

Quoted For Truth.

Robotech kills Robotech by being inferior product. It is much less than the sum of its parts.

I think what me meant was that Harmony Gold is killing Robotech for its fans with a crippling lack of imagination and their cavalier attitude towards their fans.

I think what me meant was that Harmony Gold is killing Robotech for its fans with a crippling lack of imagination and their cavalier attitude towards their fans.

Oh, I know what he is getting at, but the "show" itself is still fundamentally flawed. We all know that of course.

Taksraven

Oh, I know what he is getting at, but the "show" itself is still fundamentally flawed. We all know that of course.

Oh, you'll hear no disagreement from me on that note.

Ultimately, the one overriding factor that has doomed pretty much every Robotech to eventual failure isn't that the franchise's owners (Harmony Gold) see the series as little more than a way to shake down gullible and nostalgic fans for a few quick bucks or the ineptitude of those currently running the franchise's "creative team"... it's the practices used to create the show in the first place.

When you get right down to it, Carl Macek's tired old line about Robotech being an epic, generational sci-fi space opera and something he'd intended to do all along just doesn't hold water. If you examine the original accounts of the show's creation from the 80s, they're much more upfront about their real goal. To put it bluntly, Robotech was an attempt to ape the successful business model of Transformers Generation 1 with a bare minimum of actual work. Instead of starting from scratch and making their own TV series to push a preexisting toy line, Harmony Gold slapped together a show from whatever was handy, edited it minimally, and rewrote the existing stories a bit to make them a single continuity.

Because the original show wasn't original in any way, the franchise is hamstrung by the legal constraints of their license agreements with the rights owners. As a result, they can't manipulate much of the material for future use, and the most popular installment is almost entirely off-limits. By sheer bad luck, the one installment of the series they're most limited in their ability to use is far and away the most popular, so any future sequel attempts are ultimately doomed to fail and disappoint the fans. Their only real options are to: (1) strike out on their own with a new series unrelated to any of the previous titles in the franchise and be crucified by the fans for making a show that's Robotech in name only, or (2) retcon like crazy and attempt to exploit weak dialogue in an effort to tack a continuation onto the increasingly convoluted story of a series from 20+ years ago.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Now, Harmony Gold would have a much harder time establishing that UEG's project would damage their bottom line or reputation in some way, but corporate lawyers being the soulless sadists that they are, I'm sure they could concoct at least one way to tentatively prove it to the judge, or construct some other, far more actionable rationale to put a stop to the entire thing.

You don't need to have any proof of that to get a cease and desist - you need proof of damages in order to get restitution.

What UEG should do is claim there project is a parody, then there is nothing that HG can do to stop them. (well, sue them into oblivion is viable).

So.. if the UEG guys made their fan production using only macross/megazone designs and they avoided using the words "macross", "robotech" or any robotech names/terminology, it's my understanding that HG wouldn't be able to do a damn thing?

Oh, they'd no doubt still send nasty letters and all, but I don't think they'd be able to do much apart from make a fuss.

You don't need to have any proof of that to get a cease and desist - you need proof of damages in order to get restitution.

What UEG should do is claim there project is a parody, then there is nothing that HG can do to stop them. (well, sue them into oblivion is viable).

Context here... I wasn't talking about the cease and desist in what you quoted, I was talking about if it came down to actual litigation.

The moves of HG's legal team continues to astound me. Instead of exploiting these fan's energy and bolstering interest in RT they're threatening people and continuing their bad reputation. If they really believe that Robotech is like Star Wars then they should copy the Lucas Film business model of exploiting fan's creativity. Both Paramount & Lucas Film have hosted or supported fan film festivals and even swiped a few ideas.

Now on the flip side, wasn't Genesis linked with the Anti-Shadow Chronicles League whose sole purpose was to trash SC by claiming it wasn't real Robotech? Hey everybody is entitled to their opinion but wouldn't it been better for Genesis's creators if they didn't start out trashing the corporate product. That parody group who did RT 3: Not Necessarily the Sentinels was supported by HG and even screened their film at a convention.

Pete

However, making fun of it is always good for a laugh. B))

Hm. Looking at those screen caps from Robotech Genesis - and judging by the posts from "insiders" from Harmony Gold like Kevin etc on Robotech.com - I surmize that what happened was a classic "Oh my God! Their Dick is nearly as big as ours even though we paid millions for a Korean to inject ours with jumbo-sizing chemicals and all they have is some money from from their mom!"

In other words - given that this is a fan work - it's very good. It is lacking in comparisson to "official" studio produced anime - but it's clearly very very good for a no-budget fan flick made not-for-profit.

And IF they actually had a GREAT plot to go with this pretty-good animation - it would have been very very VERY good. Because ultimately - as much as one might hate HG/Robotech... let's face it - if they could put together a remotely decent plot - then they might even hold some interest....

Given that people at Robotech.com get banned if a mod mis-hears a fart and interprets it as someone saying "I like Macross" - then obviously it's not surprising that these fans also got a C&D.

And of course - good on them for announcing that they're just going to use their talent to make an ORIGINAL show to promote THEIR TALENT and FUQK Harmony Gold and Robotech.

Now...

Think about this:

How many GREAT Fan films are there in the STAR WARS universe. HUNDREDS. Troops is one of the classics of the fan film genre - but there are HUNDREDS. There's Boba Fett Adventures, there's that fanfilm "Conspiracy" - there's TONS AND TONS of excellent films - lots of them using CG and with space battles and loads of awesome stuff.

And does this somehow mean that Lucas has less money? That Star Wars toys sell in lower quantities? Or maybe...just maaaybe it means that Star Wars is a cultural icon?

Sorry - but it has to be said openly: Harmony Gold are a bunch of low life PRICKS.

As they have proven for the up-teenth time.

Hell - what if we got an internet role-playing game going - based off of the Paladium books - and we not only had a GM and some players - but a graphic designer and a script writer - and they took our game and decided to make an animated series about it? An extension of the role playing game.

Dag - whatever...these guys are hilariously brain dead. It's like...

This isn't a company.

This is like three stupid little kids who happened to get a hold of a trade mark that a few other people are interested in and basically they are saying "either worship us as Gods or we will excommunicate you."

I mean - this is ridiculous. I have no personal stake in this since I'm not a Robotech fan - so I really don't care one way or another if there are new films made or fan films made or whatever...

But as someone who has BEEN a big fan of various franchises - I've NEVER heard of ANY company doing something like this. I mean - look at the Hasbro approved TMUK Generation 2 comic books for christ's sake! Nick Roche did work on those and now he's doing IDW. In fact - lots of the artists from Dream Wave through IDW were fan artists who got know at Botcon....

Whatever...these guys are lame.

Pete

Well folks,I guess since I just got banned by Memo from RtX for pointing out his double standards in his "tear drop" speech to UEG and calling him out on it and asking him how he would react if harmony gold told him to stop.

Since I am totally cut off from Robotech,I guess I can focus more on Macross while I am here.Since I am no use to the legal debates I might not pop in here much but see where I can participate,like in games and movies and what not.

I guess Memo still under the influence of the fish sombrero.

Well folks,I guess since I just got banned by Memo from RtX for pointing out his double standards in his "tear drop" speech to UEG and calling him out on it and asking him how he would react if harmony gold told him to stop.

You can't be surprised about that. You already got banned twice for going after the administrator of site. So then when you come back, you go after the site's owner instead...? And you know Memo likes to ban people, you've helped him do it.

I don't care WHAT forum you're talking about, that's a sure way to get banned almost anywhere.

Since I am totally cut off from Robotech,I guess I can focus more on Macross while I am here.Since I am no use to the legal debates I might not pop in here much but see where I can participate,like in games and movies and what not.

Or maybe it's time to get a different hobby? Just sayin'. :)

Gubaba

So then when you come back, you go after the site's ownerinstead...? And you know Memo likes to ban people, you've helped him do it.

I knew sooner or later he would ban me again because I said it here so many times that he lost his use for me because I did not accomplish what he wanted me to do like make you,HP,Viper,Aladdin Sane angry to the bursting point so he can have a list or reasons for banning you.

I guess Memo can't answer a simple "what if HG screws you too" question.

By the way,here is another tidbit of info (since you guys been nice to me so far) I heard to those laughing at HG on the LAM,I was told that when a script draft is complete they send it to HG so they can make sure it stays in line with Robotech.Does that mean they trying to keep Macross elements in or out?