No.

(And it's "canon," not "cannon." :) )

EDIT: Ninja'd by Azrael...

Can you really say that?

Considering we aren't even sure what is historical canon and what isn't by the universe's own creator, can we really be "Trekkie Sure" of anything anymore... :pB))

Can you really say that?

Considering we aren't even sure what is historical canon and what isn't by the universe's own creator, can we really be "Trekkie Sure" of anything anymore... :pB))

Yeah...we ARE sure. According to Macross Chronicle, SDFM TV is canon. According to Kawamori, NOTHING is canon.

So whatever Macross the First is, it ain't canon. ^_^

I dunno. I agree with Kawamorisan.

Partly to thumb my nose at the canon-heads and partly because I appreciate his attittude toward the idea of not being shoe horned into a continuity that tends to quickly take over and suck the life and joy out of any universe...

The only time I would disagree with that premise is when Macross 7 is concerned. There is a difference between flipping the bird at convention and writing under the influence of mushrooms! :o

I'm all for creative limitation, but sometimes it gets wayyy out of hand... ;) *cough*startrek*cough*

Picked up NA #2. Wow it is like 5000 pages and only 10 of them dedicated to Macross the First.

If it's roughly 10 pages, they are conserving pages to stretch it out monthly. I wish they'd explore a bit more and not just follow a loose retelling. It seems like they maybe doing that, but there's so many aspects of the story that can be explored and branched out with. I hope they do that, and I hope the popularity of this manga supports an updated SDF Macross. I don't think it'd take away from the original, but will definitely give a substantial connect between the older Macross fans, and the new fans coming from Frontier.

Picked up NA #2. Wow it is like 5000 pages and only 10 of them dedicated to Macross the First.

I'm glad I didn't pick it up then since I saw it today and was holding it until I saw even more stuff to buy. I guess I'm waiting for the collected manga volume unless they start throwing in Macross freebies...

• 3 weeks later...

So...just curious, but is there any effort going on to scanlate this manga? Hell, is there even raws out there somewhere?

I'm probably not the official person to give you an answer, but if it does get the scanlation, it'll probably be with people who bought the books, if anything. Putting these up for everyone to copy so they don't have to buy them is counter-productive, and on a board that favors the franchise, would be hypocritical to that belief. That said, if you haven't bought the books, but have watched SDF Macross, I encourage you to buy them anyways. It follows the original to some extent, the art is second to none, and you can get the gist of what is going on just by looking at the pics. Everyone I know that has bought them, even though they don't read Japanese, has enjoyed the books, and doesn't regret the purchase.

You mean like how we freely link and discuss various fansubber releases of the shows themselves right?

Not that I want to start an argument but really mang, I support the franchise as much as possible (with all them toys) but I don't think scanlations are crossing the line. It's just what we've had to do within the fandom for as long as its been going on. I'm not going to ask anyone here to scanlate anything but I don't see the harm it can do.

You mean like how we freely link and discuss various fansubber releases of the shows themselves right?

Not that I want to start an argument but really mang, I support the franchise as much as possible (with all them toys) but I don't think scanlations are crossing the line. It's just what we've had to do within the fandom for as long as its been going on. I'm not going to ask anyone here to scanlate anything but I don't see the harm it can do.

If it's out there already, I'm not going to slap anyone's wrist for getting it, whether the movie, or a scanlation, I don't think anyone here is going to be putting it up though, nor am I going to put up the scanlations I have. Maybe it isn't crossing the line, but well, I'm sure you understand where I'm coming with that.

I dunno. I agree with Kawamorisan.

Partly to thumb my nose at the canon-heads and partly because I appreciate his attittude toward the idea of not being shoe horned into a continuity that tends to quickly take over and suck the life and joy out of any universe...*

coughStarWarscough. Oh and MZero.

Since I'm late to the party and haven't been able to start reading it yet, what was up with that scene where Hikaru walks in on Misa half-naked? Do they not believe in locked dressing rooms in Japan? I guess Kim, Shammy and Vanessa really CAN call him a pervert now!

EDIT: Went back and I guess the curtain for the stall fell off somehow?That's kinda convenient and weird. :) Please tell me she Bright-slapped Hikaru into the next building. :D

Edited by VF-15 Banshee

If it's out there already, I'm not going to slap anyone's wrist for getting it, whether the movie, or a scanlation, I don't think anyone here is going to be putting it up though, nor am I going to put up the scanlations I have. Maybe it isn't crossing the line, but well, I'm sure you understand where I'm coming with that.

I tend to agree.

The original Macross Ace scanlations are open season IMHO, they are out of print and the publisher cancelled it. The newer releases through Newtype Ace are verbotten since we don't want to undermine that current publication.

• 1 month later...

Any news on book 4 and when we can expect that?I just started reading the first book again, and it's got me itching for the newest book.

It's hard to say. The books tend to be a little less than 200 pages, and the Newtype Ace chapters seem to be either 20 pages or 40.

So we're up to 120 pages so far of Volume 4. Next month doesn't have Macross the First, so it'll be May or June at the earliest.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest, looking at pretty pictures with words you don't understand isn't very engaging. The comic medium is just as reliant on the narration as the panel layouts.

I own the entire Getter Robo Saga and yet despite looking through it dozens of times, the scanlations made the story make more sense.

Again, just playing devil's advocate here for the most part, but...even looking at it in Japanese, could you honestly not follow the story?

I have tried to read other comics, and tried to guess what was being said in "Do You Remember Love" before seing a subbed version - and I found that what I THOUGHT was being said was TOTALLY off from what was actually being said. So I can honestly say that I can not follow the story without a translation. Yes the over-arching plot can be discerned but the devil (or the fun) is in the details.

Again, just playing devil's advocate here for the most part, but...even looking at it in Japanese, could you honestly not follow the story?

Yes and no.

I can watch Mac Zero and enjoy the pretty pretty images on the screen, but I certainly appreciate what is going on more, when the dialogue is translated. Film, like Manga (Comics) is a visual medium and as dialogue moves the story of a film along, so too does the dialogue and narration move the story of a Manga along.

That being said, I am also not willing to see scanlations published online while a manga is actively in print. That only serves to undermine the value of the property and could make it "unprofitable" to continue...

Edited by Zinjo

Yes and no.

I can watch Mac Zero and enjoy the pretty pretty images on the screen, but I certainly appreciate what is going on more, when the dialogue is translated. Film, like Manga (Comics) is a visual medium and as dialogue moves the story of a film along, so too does the dialogue and narration move the story of a Manga along.

That being said, I am also not willing to see scanlations published online while a manga is actively in print. That only serves to undermine the value of the property and could make it "unprofitable" to continue...

I think his point is "since you already KNOW the story..."