• 3 weeks later...

I finally got vol 5, making my collection of Macross the First tankobon complete!

I'm actually enjoying the divergence from the TV story, myself.

Even thought Kaifun is in this version, he doesn't seem to have the same personality as his OSM counterpart, though I suppose it may be too early to tell at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got out of a mikimoto panel at animazement in Raleigh nc. He spoke about macross the first.

He said he wants to introduce the love triangle sooner than it was played out on the television show.

He said DYRL is an inspiration for condensing the story and retelling it now.

He said he has a tem drawing the mecha, as he can't draw mechs.

He hopes all his fans will continue to support his projects and comics.

Ill have more general notes in the main animazement thread and a small video about minmay.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen elsewhere:

Subject: I just thought of an interesting fastpack variant!
Started on: April 22, 2013 - 3:18:38 AM
Hey guys! I was over in the gaming forum reading about the new robotech tactics game comming out, and my mind began to wander on possible kitbashes, and one really started to jump out at me!

We already have the standard fastpack, and its strike variant with the gun, but what would you guys think of a fastpack made from the arms of a Phalanx destroid?

Granted those missile pods are big so they might make the VF-1 slightly off balanced, but not so much more than the standard pack. I'm thinking it might be useful in a space enviroment and geared toward anti capital ship role. It would really add to the VF-1's already large missile magazine, without limiting its manuverability or transformation the way the full armor does.

Anybody else have a similar idea? Anybody feel like giving me a had, and drawing up concept art of this considering my drawing skills haven't graduated kindergarten unlike the rest of me?

Huh. Funny. Six months after this occurs in Macross the First (and thirty years after the original Macross), it suddenly comes to someone to do this...?

Edited by Gubaba

Seen elsewhere:

Huh. Funny. Six months after this occurs in Macross the First (and thirty years after the original Macross), it suddenly comes to someone to do this...?

No! The dude is obviously a visionary! Sure, anyone can think of slapping on Tomahawk or Defender cannons to a VF-1's fast packs...but Phalanx missle barrels?!?!? He just blew our collective minds! :rolleyes:

superattack.JPG

I know, right...? SO AMAZING... :rolleyes:

Next, he'll make a post about his nutty idea of "re-telling" the entire SDFM story so it is more inline with the rest of the "Macross Franchise" (there is more Macross?!?!?)....Crazy right? It'll never happen!!! He'll get banned permanently the second he brings up introducing "time travel" to the story!

BTW...just noticed that the arm "armor" looks different too....hope Arcadia does something with these designs.....

Next, he'll make a post about his nutty idea of "re-telling" the entire SDFM story so it is more inline with the rest of the "Macross Franchise" (there is more Macross?!?!?)....Crazy right? It'll never happen!!! He'll get banned permanently the second he brings up introducing "time travel" to the story!

BTW...just noticed that the arm "armor" looks different too....hope Arcadia does something with these designs.....

I sincerely hope NOT.

By the way, where does that fabulous avatar image of yours come from?

No! The dude is obviously a visionary! Sure, anyone can think of slapping on Tomahawk or Defender cannons to a VF-1's fast packs...but Phalanx missle barrels?!?!? He just blew our collective minds! :rolleyes:

What's next, sniper Valkyries? A Monster that transforms? FAST Packs that that can stay on through all three fighter forms? :lol:

Whaaat. OK, that's it -- tell me your home address: I am so THERE. :p

On topic, my mother-in-law runs a manga cafe, and the other day I went over to check out the new shop she just opened recently. Among the books there, was a full set of MacTheFirst so I finally started reading the chapters I missed, since I only ever collected the ones that ran in Macross Ace, and then only got Newtype Ace sporadically. For that reason, I have been semi-avoiding this thread just in case spoilers come up.

To my surprise, I found that a lot of the chapters were quite well done and original. I liked the one about Minmay's "other" Hikaru, "Ruu-kun" the photographer, I liked the chapter on Mars Base Sara (or Salla, or whatever) with the plot twist, and I really liked the adventures of Roy and Kakizaki in the asteroid field, and the whole thing about Vanessa's glasses.

I didn't read the Tales of South Ataria ones because I ran out of time. While I still think that there's a lot of treading of water right now in the series, I'm relieved that there was so much character story in the stuff I missed, since the "we're spending a whole chapter inside a meeting" thing had been done for several of the issues of NA that I did buy and I was starting to get soured on the series.

What about the whole thing with Vanessa's glasses? I have all five volumes, but sadly my Japanese is nowhere near up to snuff. Hell, I don't even know why Hikaru wasn't allowed to attend Minmay's birthday party!

Hikaru was being confined to his quarters by Focker for disregarding his orders and rushing in to rescue the Cat's Eye himself.

I guess being called a goggle-eyed goldfish by Kakizaki was the last straw?

Edited by hulagu

What's so great about Macross the 1st is the hard core, old school fans WILL gobble it up& dissect it. This is a good thing, to be critical of such a sacred work! The Majority of Response is positive and eager for more. Mikimoto is doing a good job! And the process has evolved in some ways..it has a freshness to it While retaining a strong sense of the original series.

I should say,of course, newer fans will enjoy as well this newest re telling:)

What about the whole thing with Vanessa's glasses? I have all five volumes, but sadly my Japanese is nowhere near up to snuff. Hell, I don't even know why Hikaru wasn't allowed to attend Minmay's birthday party!

Yeah, the glasses thing was that Vanessa was wearing old glasses from her school days or something.. I don't remember the details well... Anyway, the point is that she didn't see that there were any incoming enemies and so when they appeared she felt she was to blame, because of her glasses. Kakizaki over the comm link then said, "Don't worry about it, I'll take care of it, DEMEKIN (a goldfish with protruding eyes)!" And proceeded to go berzerk, spamming the enemies with his missiles. Later, Vanessa goes to apologize to Kakizaki for having failed him, and says it was her fault and that she got new, better glasses so it will never happen again. Kim and Shammy tell her that she needn't bother apologizing, since "Zakky" is of lower rank, and anyway he rudely called her a goldfish! To which, Kakizaki stutters, "I didn't say 'demekin'... I-I s-said 'beppin'!!" (which would sound similar over a noisy comm link), which means "pretty girl". :)

Well, the latest issue of Newtype Ace is out (vol.22) and no Macross the First again. Nor is it listed for next months issue either :(

What about those Document of Macross supplements?

They're just gonna stop at six of them?

• 4 weeks later...

Well that sucks.

Any chance another mag picks it up? Or are the sales too meager too justify it?

Serious suckage.

Unknown about the fate, or even if a lack of sales was a problem (though, a lack of it appearing causing a decline in sales is definitely a given.)

I have my suspicions that the magazine's cancellation is due to the declining interest in Tiger Bunny - as the magazine has featured anywhere from 2 to 4 TB serializations in any given issue!

Anyhow...

The blurb about the fate of MtF amounts to: check at the following site for updates on MtF:

Macross 30th Project Site: http://macross30.com

Kadokawa's internal Macross site: http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/title/?t_id=000037

Edited by sketchley