Cost Effective 1/60 Factory Diorama

Nerd-linger

First time poster, long time lurker. I hope this is the right forum, if not please feel free to move or close the thread.

I've been working on this for what feels like years, not that it is a particularly difficult project, but finding the time is and it's still not done. Anyway the project is an attempt at a poor-man's 1/60 scale factory diorama. The basic idea is to create printouts that can be glued on foamboard/cardstock and assembled into a reasonably nice diorama. The cost involved would be little more than supplies and time.

The design is modular to allow for some re-arranging of walls (not much more than the order). I currently have 3 sections designed.

The first is the Gate with the staircase. The gate will not open but the turntable will be rotated

The second is the lift platform with the gantry crane (crane design is not done). Again the turntable will move as well as the gantry crane will be free to move side to side and the lift platform moved up and down as well as side to side. Eventually I hope devise some sort of simple mechanical arm to hang off the crane.

The Third is the end walls which does nothing,

One section including end walls will fit in a Detolf display case.

Nothing exists outside of the computer right now, so things may change if my theories on the construction techniques are flawed, but the basic idea is there.

What you are seeing in the attached images is the 3d render of 6 sections (two of each) with some basic lighting in an attempt to see what the actual diorama might look like once built for real. Obviously things will be very different depending on real world lighting conditions, but you get the idea.

I thought I would post what I have for some feedback. Basically just looking for some general reactions and any suggestions. Plus maybe some input will motivate me to actually finish the project.

Thanks

post-5608-1251747280_thumb.jpg

post-5608-1251747289_thumb.jpg

post-5608-1251747294_thumb.jpg

post-5608-1251747300_thumb.jpg

Nobody? I would have thought someone would be interested in a free do-do-it-yourself factory diorama. I guess once I have pictures of one built with some valks displayed in it there might be more feedback. I've attached an example of one of the pages that's part of one of the walls. I've broken them up so they can be printed out on a 8.5 x 11 (Legal) page on any color printer.

post-5608-1251830982_thumb.jpg

I think this is fantastic!! It is a great option for people who can't afford the resin model or have the build/paint skills to put one together.

For me it can be used as a template or fill up for the resin kit.. I just need it on a 1/72 option.. The scale of modeling kings.

I would suggest you to wait a little bit for people to find and read this thread.. I just came across by accident since i don't frequent this forums as much as wished to.

I think its a great idea, and a wonderful rendering! Basically an elaborate papercraft. Bandai and Kayiodo (and Yamato?) both offer similar diorama/base-hangars for download with some of their products. You're filling a need for the Macross community!

Personally, I'd like to rescale it for use with my 1/55 & 1/100 Macross mecha.

Cuz, do you know how bad to the bone this "little" idea of yours is? I have been contemplating how to cost effectively build/design a diorama to display my Valks; specifically my 1/48 VF-1's. I took a look at what you've done thus far, and my jaw utterly dropped! It takes way too many M.C.B.'s (and ducats) to try and accomplish this same effect.

If you will do three things, then you can count me as a definite customer of the finished product:

1) Do what 007-vf1 says in his post...give this thread some marinatin' time. Once folk start to hone in on what you're doing, you are bound to get plenty of feedbacks & PMs.

2) As well as a request for a 1/72 scale option, please do 1/48 also; I have a slew of yammies that I would love to place in a diorama this good looking & functional.

...And 3) FINISH THIS PROJECT/BUILD!! Please don't let this die on the vine. This is just too beautiful & frugal for you not to bring to fruition. PM me when you're done so I can place my orders ;) .

Keep this grand work going craftsman, cause I am sho' nuff feelin' it & I AM SOLD ON IT! How's that for a general reaction?

So, in the words of Jay-Z's song, 'what mo' can I say?'

• 2 weeks later...

No progress on this project since my original post, but thanks for the encouragement thus far.

From the comments so far it would appear the major issue is the desire for various scales. I'm pretty confident that as it is now this would work for 1/60 and 1/72. It's technically a little on the small side for 1/60 as I am using modified 1/72 ground crew figure kits as 1/60 people. Basically I'd say it's somewhere in between 1/60 and 1/72. It might work for 1/55 but that would be pushing things and 1/48 would probably not work at all. Even though the majority of my collection is 1/48 I made the decision early on to concentrate on 1/60 since that is Yamato's official scale and 1/48 is basically dead. Unfortunately simply scaling up the images won't really work as much of the current design relies on using 3/16 foamboard. Having said that it is possible that once this project is done I may consider going back and make a 1/48 version, but no promises.

these look fantastic!

one question, would the staircases etc. be made out of the same materials as the walls?

i look forward to seeing the finished product!

Yes and no... My plan is that everything will be made with a combo of foamboard and cardstock, the staircase included. The stairs themselves are foamboard, each step is one piece of foamboard making each step 3/16" high. The platform is two layers of foamboard and the railing/walls are two layers of cardstock. I'm considering trying to make the whole staircase out of cardstock, but until I start building it for real I won't know which is the better way to go

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just a small update.

Finally finished the textures for the gantry cranes. I decided to go with a cable type system instead of a mechanical arm on the crane. The mechanical arm was becoming too cumbersome and complicated. The Plan is to use small ribbon for the cables, but string or small chain should work too. I still have some odds and ends to do for the textures and will probably move onto a ceiling of some sort to enclose the space. Still a long way to go but this project is not dead.

I've been getting some PMs requesting the images I'm using for the textures so I thought I'd let everyone know the situation.

This is still very much a work in progress so I am holding off releasing the images until everything is done. There are a couple reasons for this. The first being that I have not done a test assembly of the diorama. I have a plan in my head on how this should all go together, but until I actually build it I don't know if everything will go according to plan. I therefore may need to make changes to the design and would prefer to not have different versions of the images floating around. The second reason is because I will need to make instructions on how to assemble the diorama. The printouts alone will not make too much sense without knowing how they are meant to go together and I can't make the instructions until I build it. I'd rather not be bombarded by people asking how the printouts go together when in truth I don't entirely know yet.

Having said that, once everything is done the plan is to release the images and instructions so anyone can make their own dioramas so please be patient.

post-5608-1262634167_thumb.jpg

post-5608-1262634172_thumb.jpg

Brilliant work there. Thanks for the update. This is really gorgeous!
I like the idea of an expansive environment. Have you thought of putting some windows to view SDF-1 workers? I think the idea is inspired as another suggestion what about doors which can with electric motors open and close. Lighting effects might help to display you planes. Maybe a suspended or broken Valk with mechanics for a working effect. Just some ideas.

Hey N-L, just keep doing your thang, and we'll wait patiently while you do it. This is still one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long time, and I appreciate any and all updates you see fit to bless us with. You've planned your work, so keep working your plan. The noise level is high, so keep your antenna fine tuned at all times. Stay focused and clear in your objective, and deliver it when you are ready & on your terms. I, for one, cannot wait to partake of the end result! Happy New Year & stay blessed. Peace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...