Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

No sign of Animated Arcee in my region either, it's sort of depressing.

Preordered the Bruticus upgrade sets and am hoping they'll look good with the original Energon figures, because I didn't get the RotF version.

That's why I'm waiting before ordering---I don't want a set of feet/hands/shoulders that completely clashes with my Energon set. And they very well may release a recolored set later, that matches the Energon version. (also, we don't even know the main colors for Blast-Off and Swindle yet---totally G1, totally realistic, or somewhere between?)

Personally I want a match to G1---that'd actually match the Energon set quite well, as Barricade has a lot of warm silvery plastic, which is close to the head/feet/hand color for G1 Bruticus. Energon Barricade and ROTF Onslaught seem to both have large amounts of "warm silvery grey", though in different areas. Neither quite matches the dull silver of G1 Bruticus, but it's close, so I think the smart thing would be to make the main color of the new accessory parts in "slightly brownish silver" as it should match parts of both versions as well as a G1 homage.

I'm still trying to mix up a paint match for the main dark pink color. I've got most of the face painted, I just need a few more details--but matching the factory color has been very difficult.

Is the plastic taking the paint well? I was thinking of giving her a make-over too. As much as I like TFA Arcee, I still wait for a decent G1-esque version to complement the rest of the 3rd season crew.

No, this plastic is among the worst I've ever dealt with. It repels the paint like few others I've encountered.

Anyways, I matched the hue, but as for the intensity and metallicness---not without spending more on new paints than I did for the toy. (I'd need like a ruby red metallic to start with if I want to match every aspect--and it's not worth it for how small the areas are)

I'll post pics when I'm done, but don't expect anything "Radicons-worthy".

Picked up a Mindwipe yesterday. Alt mode looks really nice, super slim and no robo-bits portruding anywhere. Everything locks together nice and tight. The "tattoos" on the wings are quite lame, but a few minutes with Qtips and alcohol took care of those.

Transformation is fairly straightforward and easy with everything but the wings being incorporated into the bot. One thing I really like is that you can position his legs so they look normal instead of chicken-like. The hands are really the only letdown for me. When I saw pics online of the clear red knives that are permanantly attached to his hands I assumed I could just remove them. Alas, the knives are actually the cockpit which splits in half. This is a horrible looking gimmick to me, especially because you can't really work around it or remove it (unless you want a stealth bomber with no canopy). The knives don't even look good because they look like...well...a canopy split in half. I've seen photos where the 'knives' are tucked back behind the arms, but I can't get mine to stay there, they spring right back to the stabby-stabby position.

That giant niggle aside, he looks rather good in bot mode and has some really good articulation. The overall design is still a little too Bay-ish for my tastes, but it's less pronounced than most. He looks more like a robot and less like a pile of cutlery. -_-

Walmart has Masterpiece Skywarp on sale.

Not here they don't. Despite hearing people say that over and over (also on CollectionDX), they are still $60 at Wal-Mart here. Apparently one store in Florida has them on sale... don't count on your local store also having it on sale.

Not here they don't. Despite hearing people say that over and over (also on CollectionDX), they are still $60 at Wal-Mart here. Apparently one store in Florida has them on sale... don't count on your local store also having it on sale.

I bought one last Sunday for $30 dollars. I bought another one last night for $7.

Thrust!

EDIT: In addition to Thrust, I think I might be picking up some of the War for Cybertron figs. Prime looks like he might be having issues, but that Bumblebee looks sweet. Or maybe it's just refreshing to see a Bumblebee that's not the Bayformers one.

Edited by mikeszekely

Wow, I hate to sound like a negative nellie but that is a big bunch of nasty looking crap coming this year. Drift is the only thing that looks great to me. The WFC figures look sort of alright, HA Jazz looks pretty cool, but the rest of it looks like a huge step backwards...like into Armada territory.

Wow, I hate to sound like a negative nellie but that is a big bunch of nasty looking crap coming this year. Drift is the only thing that looks great to me. The WFC figures look sort of alright, HA Jazz looks pretty cool, but the rest of it looks like a huge step backwards...like into Armada territory.

You're not happy that we're getting Thrust? Two more Seekers and even those of us who couldn't afford the botcon set will have them all.

Drift looks find, but he was such a dull character in the handful of issues he turned up in.

HA Jazz, at first glace, looks tons better than the old Deluxe version, and he rightly is. But if you look closely, he's still got goofy arms. Not as bad as the Deluxe version, but enough that he'd be a pass for me even if I was collecting movie toys.

You're not happy that we're getting Thrust? Two more Seekers and even those of us who couldn't afford the botcon set will have them all.

Drift looks find, but he was such a dull character in the handful of issues he turned up in.

HA Jazz, at first glace, looks tons better than the old Deluxe version, and he rightly is. But if you look closely, he's still got goofy arms. Not as bad as the Deluxe version, but enough that he'd be a pass for me even if I was collecting movie toys.

I'm indifferent to Thrust. I'm glad he's coming out for those who want him, but to me he's just another repaint of an old sculpt and thus not very exciting. I don't find Drift particularly exciting either, but the toy looks great compared to everything else around him on display.

I don't know, I just look at most of the new toys unveiled and think "half-assed". Those combiners look like a joke. The Power-Core toys look like rejects from the Armada line and all of the movie-style stuff (including Seaspray) looks dull. The WFC toys might look better in hand, but I'm just not feeling the alt modes on Prime and Bee. Perhaps the toys for the upcoming Transformers cartoon will be more inspired, but for now everything Hasbro has planned makes it look like they have no focus or vision for the line.

Good gads I'm starting to sound like VFTF1. :p

I think I'm especially bummed because there was so very little in the way of Transformers that appealed to me last year, and now it looks like another year of the same. But that's fine. As long as other people like it and buy the stuff the line will continue and possibly turn back into something I can take an interest in.

:::EDIT:::

Scratch all of that I said. I just saw the Yoda Transformer and suddenly all is right in the world. :lol:

Edited by eriku

MP Grimlock is good news.

Also, the power core combiners are pretty compelling, even with the botless limb drones... sort of like a mixture of regular gestalt teams with the new Devastator, and they'll probably have a lower price point as a result. And elbows, which have been sorely lacking but for the efforts of FansProjects :)

Which brings me to my theory - Is Hasbro tending toward the smaller figures now as a way to manage with the economy? Notice we won't see any WFC toys above deluxe-ish class. MP figures in general have only been the result of grass-roots clamor for domestic releases by fans (and really have only been purchased by those same fans, not impulse buys for kids). We're seeing more Voyager equivalents to figures which were previously Leader-class, and likewise with Deluxe-from-Voyager.

Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, or just getting older or something, but I'm really interested to figure out what Hasbro's big-picture approach is to managing a business in a down economy. I don't mind in the least that they're having to adapt a little bit, because that also helps to keep the franchise vibrant and fresh - who would have thought to take the Armada concept (tack on a mini-con) and actually make the mini-cons into new limbs, or features bigger than just a hand-held weapon, of a larger figure?

I'm stoked about HA Jazz, he is worlds better than what was released before. I've been debating buying HA figures for a while, but I will definitely cave for Jazz. Some other neat stuff too. On another note, I do wish that Hasbro would spring for paint that looked like it does in their official product shots.

I've been wanting to pick up N.E.S.T Dirge but I gotta say that the jetblade repaint looks to have much better colors. I may just wait for it to be released.

Chris

Heretic! Dirge has awesome colors. No one is allowed to say a G1 seeker scheme is bad/inferior.

Lowers head in shame... :p Dirge is a good toy though right? From what I can see it seems to be one of the few decent aircraft transformers....ie...not a whole lot of kibble or a robot hanging under an aircraft sort of thing.

Chris

Heretic! Dirge has awesome colors. No one is allowed to say a G1 seeker scheme is bad/inferior.

Actually now that you mention it, I don't know if he counts but Sunstorm's bright day-glo early 90's Orange always bugged the hell out of me. I had barf that color once after drinking Mad Dog 20/20. The white head looks cool though, I'll give him that much.

Sunstorm so doesn't count. There are 6 main seekers. SS, SW, TC, Dirge, Thrust, and Ramjet. Everything else is a recently-invented mold-milking opportunity. Plus Sunstorm, who actually got a comic first, THEN toy repaints. (actually, Sunstorm wasn't bad as a character---just his scheme sucked, and it translated even worse to toys)

PS---color errors in the cartoon don't count either. :p