Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

BBTS Has new listings for Alternity, Device Label and Disney Label. Included is the previously announced as canceled Device Label Blaster.

No new pics yet though.

From TFW2005.com:

DEVICE LABEL BLASTER!! Thank god this figure appears to have survived the culling.

This thread's title should get renamed so it covers all the other figures involved instead of just Alternity SS.

Here are the individual pages for the products on BBTS:

Device Label Blaster: Transforming USB Hub - Blaster - Transformers Device Label Device Label at BigBadToyStore

Device Label Cheetor: Transforming USB Flash Memory (2 GB) - Cheetor - Transformers Device Label Device Label at BigBadToyStore

Buzz Lightyear: Buzz Lightyear Spaceship Transformer - Transformers Disney Disney Label at BigBadToyStore

Alternity A-04 Starscream - White: Alternity A-04 Okamora Orochi - Starscream White - Transformers Binaltech Alternity at BigBadToyStore

Alternity A-04 Starscream - Purple: Alternity A-04 Okamora Orochi - Skywarp Purple - Transformers Binaltech Alternity at BigBadToyStore

Looks like I will be buying some TFs this year...

Seekers as cars is just plain wrong. Do we get Sideswipe as an F-15 next?

Agreed. I don't mind the idea of Takara/Hasbro making Transformers licensed vehicles again... heck, I don't even mind if they put them in their own, more expensive line with complicated transformations and hindered poseability. What I don't care for is the notion that they've all got to be licensed cars. Especially since we did that already with Binaltech/Alternators. I'm lacking enthusiasm for the same thing, only smaller.

Seekers as cars is just plain wrong. Do we get Sideswipe as an F-15 next?

As long as that F-15 is colored gunship grey I wouldn't complain ;) But yeah, Shockwave and... Wheeljack would have been preferable.

Agreed. I don't mind the idea of Takara/Hasbro making Transformers licensed vehicles again... heck, I don't even mind if they put them in their own, more expensive line with complicated transformations and hindered poseability. What I don't care for is the notion that they've all got to be licensed cars. Especially since we did that already with Binaltech/Alternators. I'm lacking enthusiasm for the same thing, only smaller.

I'm actually really liking Alternity so far. It's all about the sculpt to me. I don't really care that Megatron and Optimus are cars either. 1/24 would of-course have been preferable.

:huh:

Are you sure you're talking about Wing Gundam - or maybe you're thinking about one of the mobile suits from Gundam Wing? There were a lot of them, and most of them had alternate modes.

Wing Gundam's alternate mode was that of a bird/plane.

As for Wing Zero - no. He can't transform :)

Pete

If you read the post you quoted, you'll see I used the Japanese name for the Gundam Wing series.

If you read the post you quoted, you'll see I used the Japanese name for the Gundam Wing series.

Regardless, my only point was that - to my knowledghe - Wing Gundam never had a semi-Gerwalk mode that looked like a raptor :)

As to Carscream/Carwarp....

The whole "What!? Seekers as cars!?" thing is kind of an old song and dance by now guys. Does anybody remember the G2 Gobots? Soundwave and Megatron were little race cars back then. I think even Frenzy was a racecar.

I think what we're dealing with here is brand marketing gone crazy....

In any event...none of these "new" offerings are inspiring at all.

Alternity is wierd to me.... neutrla on them...

Japanese animated look nice in the pictures - but not worth the prices IMO. Hasbro versions were barely worth the overinflated TF prices.... Then again...they DO look like the best thing going for 2010 thus far... TF wise...

As for Broadcast Device Label...

Wow.

Talk about novelty.

Bringing back a failed production run USB hub.

Still waiting on Hasbro to present something fresh and new.

Heck - still trying to recover from the trauma of the picture that turned me away from Transformers definitively: namely ROTF Devastator (the supreme toy) way back pre-release when I saw the gallery on Seibertron.com I was like - ok that's it. Bye bye.

BBTS has concept pics up of Carscream/Carwarp. Looking pretty good and seeker like despite being cars with the wings behind the back and even wings on the lower legs. I'll bite if there's a G1-ish color scheme available.

New pics of the "power core combiners" toys at TFW2005. It looks pretty cool. The minicon has 4 modes (robot, robot weapon, vehicle weapon, armor). This series could be like micromasters evolved. Pretty neat idea and I think I like the designs (pics kinda suck b/c of glare).

Regardless, my only point was that - to my knowledghe - Wing Gundam never had a semi-Gerwalk mode that looked like a raptor :)

As to Carscream/Carwarp....

The whole "What!? Seekers as cars!?" thing is kind of an old song and dance by now guys. Does anybody remember the G2 Gobots? Soundwave and Megatron were little race cars back then. I think even Frenzy was a racecar.

I think what we're dealing with here is brand marketing gone crazy....

In any event...none of these "new" offerings are inspiring at all.

Alternity is wierd to me.... neutrla on them...

Japanese animated look nice in the pictures - but not worth the prices IMO. Hasbro versions were barely worth the overinflated TF prices.... Then again...they DO look like the best thing going for 2010 thus far... TF wise...

As for Broadcast Device Label...

Wow.

Talk about novelty.

Bringing back a failed production run USB hub.

Still waiting on Hasbro to present something fresh and new.

Heck - still trying to recover from the trauma of the picture that turned me away from Transformers definitively: namely ROTF Devastator (the supreme toy) way back pre-release when I saw the gallery on Seibertron.com I was like - ok that's it. Bye bye.

I was using the term "raptor" to describe a type of bird of prey (eagles, hawks, etc.), not the jet or a dinosaur, one guy under Zech's command in the first episode of the series described that the thing somewhat looked like a bird (I'm paraphrasing here).

Oh. Ok. I misunderstood you - I thought you meant the velociraptor... but yeah - Wing Gundam turns into a bird like thingy.

I remember once, long ago, I was in a KB Toy Store back when there still WAS a KB Toy Store and I saw a big ol' honkin' toy of the Wing Gundam. And I looked at the robot and thought "hey...coooll.." and then I looked at the box where it showed the Transformation and I thought "what the hell!? That's so lame. Transformers are so much better!"

And in a sense - they were. Transforming Gundams have usually been major failures. I'm not really sure why they even bother... The ONLY transforming Gundam that seems to be successful is Zeta Gundam. But everything else has just been a "why?" after thought...

The virtue of Gundams rests elsewhere, beyond them Transforming or not...

Anyways...

I'm still wondering what to do about my Transformers collection in the future. For now it's ZERO. At first I thought that I'd collect just Masterpiece...but then...you know...that's problematic.

Transformers are no fun unless there's LOTS of them.

And lots of them means the regular mass produced stuff. Maybe I should just get select TFs from differene series?

Maybe Henkei for G1 characters and then various from .... ah...I dunno...

Life's problems, eh? :lol:

Pete

Hmmm...

Whats the word I'm looking for Here?

Oh, thats right... Har Har

Iv got something you dont... Iv got something you dont! :p:D^_^:lol:

D'oh! You're right. What am I saying...I don't collect Transformers anymore...and my goal was Ideon...Ideon...Ideon...

and Ideon it shall be.

Transformers are the stuff of a childhood deprived the awesomeness of anime!

Recalling to mind the experience of watching Star Dub Headmasters on VHS a long time ago reminded me of that crucial fact.

I really need to finally sell my TF comics and be rid of it all....

Pete

:huh:

Are you sure you're talking about Wing Gundam - or maybe you're thinking about one of the mobile suits from Gundam Wing? There were a lot of them, and most of them had alternate modes.

Wing Gundam's alternate mode was that of a bird/plane.

As for Wing Zero - no. He can't transform :)

Pete

Actually wing zero did have a alternate bird/plane mode. wing zero with the angel wings did not.

I hope this is not the most stupid noob question ever.... but....

I was just reading "A Wrinkle in Time" and Meg's father calls her Megatron toward the end. That book came out in the 1960s. Any chance the transformer's name was inspired by this book?

<Throw_Stones>

</Throw_Stones>

Seriously. I am curious.

Finished my Trailbreaker. ^_^

trailbreaker2.jpg

Love the Trailbreaker. He was one of my first 2 as a little kid, and has had a place in my heart ever since. Very nice work. What did you do, other than paint?

Besides paint, the only change I made was to cut out a slit where the eyes were, and put in a piece of acrylic rod. I sanded and polished the ends of it, to have an angle to look more visor like. I painted the acrylic silver inside the head, and clear red on the outside. I also had to make new mirrors, since the facorty ones seem to be made of engineering plastic that won't hold paint.

It's only had one transformation to vehicle mode and back, since I painted it. The only damage is to where the arms peg to the pelvis in vehicle mode (which I expected) and one small corner on each of the thighs. The leg paint damage is is tiny, and I might not bother fixing it. It's be easy enough to protect with a smear of superglue, if I do. The chipping on the arms is far less than I thought it would be. If there's any damage to the truck body panels, I doubt I'd notice, being black plastic under black paint. I added so much Future to the paint, it's dried rock hard. Hopefully, that'll help prevent chips and scratches.

Trailbreaker was one of my first two non minibot TFs, when I was a kid, too. I think he was my very first.

From otca.com.au:

E-hobby just updated with some more pics

Shockwave!

d07_l03.jpg

Lugnut and Arcee aren't listed as thumbnails, but their large pictures are there!

d08_l01.jpg

d08_l02.jpg

s07_l01.jpg

s07_l02.jpg

If i didn't know better, i'd say that Arcee will slot nicely into any Hasbro collections!

Looking at these again, I think the amount of metallic paint (on at least some) of these figures has been overstated.

I'm starting to think they might be nice subtle, slightly sparkly colours (Like the green on USA Edition Onslaught) rather than the full-on metal look people seem to be expecting all over the entire toy.

While a few seem fully painted, others only have minimal applications.

New Voyager Prime and Jetfire Combo

iphone_photo.jpg

Don't let this de-rail the thread - but I recently bought the animated TF movie for my 8 year old and we watched the first half last night.

I hadn't seen it since I was a kid so I was very excited to view it again. Like many things from childhood it wasn't as good as I remembered. The animation and music were as good as I recall but the dialog and details seemed liked it placed it squaring for the 6 year old crowd. I had a tough time explaining quite a few things to my son:

• How do they explain Megatron changing size so radically in gun mode? Do they control atoms, or is it more like time space warp or something?

• Does Astro-train grow in size when they form Devestator to accommodate? Or is the shuttle mode that gigantic just in case he forms?

• Why does he say they need to lighten the load if there's no gravity in space?

I'm not a big TF fan - do you big-time fans look back on that movie as something well done? Don't get me wrong, its certainly enjoyable just curious to know its reputation in the TF world . . .

Don't let this de-rail the thread - but I recently bought the animated TF movie for my 8 year old and we watched the first half last night.

I hadn't seen it since I was a kid so I was very excited to view it again. Like many things from childhood it wasn't as good as I remembered. The animation and music were as good as I recall but the dialog and details seemed liked it placed it squaring for the 6 year old crowd. I had a tough time explaining quite a few things to my son:

• How do they explain Megatron changing size so radically in gun mode? Do they control atoms, or is it more like time space warp or something?

• Does Astro-train grow in size when they form Devestator to accommodate? Or is the shuttle mode that gigantic just in case he forms?

I'm not a big TF fan - do you big-time fans look back on that movie as something well done? Don't get me wrong, its certainly enjoyable just curious to know its reputation in the TF world . . .

The first two are simply anime magic. Just don't think too much into it.

The third one is actually can be explained by physics. Basically, he used too much fuel (or energon, take your pick) to accelerate to Cybertron, that he does not have enough to decelerate, given the amount of mass he's trying do bring to a stop. So, in order to decelerate, he needs to get rid of enough mass (aka kick off the damaged Decepticons) in order to land safely.

Truthfully, he was probably colluding with Starscream, as he's the one crowning him in the coronation ceremony.

There's a segment of the Transformers fandom that has developed a theory called Mass Shifting to explain how it is that Megatron, Soundwave, Reflector, Blaster, the cassettes and other TFs turn from robots into things that are much much bigger than they are.

This phenomena can actually be seen taking place in the 2007 movie when the Cube transforms from a humongous thing about twenty times as big as Bumblebee into a box that even Sam can carry.

Maybe wiki has something more elaborate about the theory beyond the name...

Most often it is also kind of tied to the notion that Transformers are non-scale toys - and yet still "compatible" ... But that's not completely right either since the original Diaclone were done in 1/60 scale (roughly)...

The problems you mentioned are not confined to Transformers: The Movie. They were already in the cartoon and the comics too.

A related issue was the problem of where Optimus Prime's trailer goes when he turns into truck mode - this led to another theory - that of "subspace" being created. Subspace is...er...some place...where...Transformers store excess mass that they don't need in one of their alt modes...

The first two are simply anime magic. Just don't think too much into it.

The third one is actually can be explained by physics. Basically, he used too much fuel (or energon, take your pick) to accelerate to Cybertron, that he does not have enough to decelerate, given the amount of mass he's trying do bring to a stop. So, in order to decelerate, he needs to get rid of enough mass (aka kick off the damaged Decepticons) in order to land safely.

Truthfully, he was probably colluding with Starscream, as he's the one crowning him in the coronation ceremony.

That's very interesting.... I hadn't heard of that explanation before. As to Astrotrain colluding with Starscream - it wouldn't be the first time.

In the TV episode Triple Take Over, Astrotrain and Blitzwing helped Starscream overthrow Megatron...

Pete

Most often it is also kind of tied to the notion that Transformers are non-scale toys - and yet still "compatible" ... But that's not completely right either since the original Diaclone were done in 1/60 scale (roughly)...

The Microman Microchange toys (Soundwave, Perceptor, Megatron, Blaster et cetera) were all 1/1 scale. The Diaclone toys actually are non-scale. No way are Starscream and the other F-15s in scale with the semi truck that is Optimus Prime. They should be HUGE by comparison.