Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

I'm glad I checked this thread before ordering MP Grimlock from HLJ the other day. Is there any word on his US release date, or s it still just "2010"?

That's disappointing. I was hoping for an off-shoot of TFA or maybe something that had to do with the upcoming game. Boo!

I had some time to "reprolabel" my Classics Hot Rod, and the results were pleasing. I always thought the stock flames were quite paltry so the new stickers are a welcome sight. The Autobot emblem has a gold foil border and fills in the blank hood nicely. Included were markings that added yellow highlights to the spoiler, but I didn't add them-it seemed too much. However, I did add a few of markings that are reminiscent of the G1 toy in bot mode. Anyways, its a great sticker set and now I'm considering if I should more of their Classics sets.

hotrod.jpg

warbuds.jpg

Apparently the next Transfomers show, Transformers Prime, is going to be taking less after G1 and more after Bayformers.

Blech.

And I'm sure the new cartoon will fill in the space up until the next Bay movie. Great for people who like the aesthetic, but for people like me who are tired of it it's almost enough to make me lose interest entirely. And meanwhile Animated season 3 still hasn't been released on DVD, and the first two seasons seem to be out of print already. Why does Hasbro hate Animated? I was under the impression is was really popular.

That's disappointing. I was hoping for an off-shoot of TFA or maybe something that had to do with the upcoming game. Boo!

I had some time to "reprolabel" my Classics Hot Rod, and the results were pleasing. I always thought the stock flames were quite paltry so the new stickers are a welcome sight. The Autobot emblem has a gold foil border and fills in the blank hood nicely. Included were markings that added yellow highlights to the spoiler, but I didn't add them-it seemed too much. However, I did add a few of markings that are reminiscent of the G1 toy in bot mode. Anyways, its a great sticker set and now I'm considering if I should more of their Classics sets.

That's really nice! I love my Classics Hot Rod so maybe I should treat him to a swanky new set of flames.

And I'm sure the new cartoon will fill in the space up until the next Bay movie. Great for people who like the aesthetic, but for people like me who are tired of it it's almost enough to make me lose interest entirely.

There are a few of us (ok, maybe just me) who actually like the aesthetic (and keep in mind, I've liked G1 and Beast Wars and the prototype pics from TransTech, but no other ones really worked for me, so I'm definitely not into the very cartoony and organic looks), just not the storytelling of the movies.

There are a few of us (ok, maybe just me) who actually like the aesthetic. just not the storytelling of the movies.
Same here. For me the other way around goes for Macross ; I find Kawamori's VF designs getting weaker and weaker since the VF1. It's just elongated

canopies and legs to extremes, it's becoming a cliche of itself.

Btw, that 'Prime' Bumblebee pic reminds me more of Robots :

robots.jpg

Edited by knoted

There are a few of us (ok, maybe just me) who actually like the aesthetic (and keep in mind, I've liked G1 and Beast Wars and the prototype pics from TransTech, but no other ones really worked for me, so I'm definitely not into the very cartoony and organic looks), just not the storytelling of the movies.

I've grown to accept the Bayformers aesthetic within the confines of his movies... that's one Transformers universe in the collective Transformers multiverse, much as I accept that in Animated they look like the Teen Titans or in Cybertron very few of them have alt modes that look like they belong on Earth even after coming to Earth.

The Bayformers aesthetic is not my preferred look, though, and seeing it recycled for Transformers Prime is a downer not so much because I can't tolerate it but because it indicates that, in an effort to bank on Bay's wildly successful movies, we're going to see less original designs and more aping of a design I wish they'd move away from.

Guest sh002

anyone looking for some transformers g1, reissue, binaltech, alternators, etc misb or mosc check out my for sale list

so Transformers Animated Arcee and Ratchet wont be coming out down here. Ratchet I could care less about. Arcee i wan very much. So I appeal to any of you US Transforemrs fans: If you guys see one, could u grab her for me, and let me know? i dont generally appeal like this on message boards, but the ebay prices are insane.

So if u can help, that would be great.

I was in some toy store a week ago and picked up an ROTF Arcee. Oh my god. It reminds me of the "Powermasters" from 1993 - the little non-poseable ones Staxx, Meanstreak, Bulletbike and Ironhide.

The key difference is that those things were cheap and didn't pretend to be the pinacle of technology and engineering. These were pull back cars kind of like the Throttlebots - particularly when considering their poseability was roughly zero (although Ironhide was able to lift his arms, and I think Meanstreak could at least flail them from side to side).

Arcee looks like a Deluxe version of that aesthetic. It just doesn't work at that price point and size.

Icky poo.

I think I'm going to start collecting G1 again - only this time I just need to stay away from anything that was made after I stopped being a little kid.

Pete

I was in some toy store a week ago and picked up an ROTF Arcee. Oh my god. It reminds me of the "Powermasters" from 1993 - the little non-poseable ones Staxx, Meanstreak, Bulletbike and Ironhide.

The key difference is that those things were cheap and didn't pretend to be the pinacle of technology and engineering. These were pull back cars kind of like the Throttlebots - particularly when considering their poseability was roughly zero (although Ironhide was able to lift his arms, and I think Meanstreak could at least flail them from side to side).

Arcee looks like a Deluxe version of that aesthetic. It just doesn't work at that price point and size.

Icky poo.

I think I'm going to start collecting G1 again - only this time I just need to stay away from anything that was made after I stopped being a little kid.

Pete

Well, imo you were asking for it then. Clearly, you bought the shittiest of ROTF example to cement your pre existing opinion about the line.

So, to me, this purchase example is really a non-argument to me.

Edited by knoted

My walmart has a TON of clearanced MP Skywarps for 30.00, does anyone need one?

Just went there today again, they still have a bunch...don't know if I'm going to make it back there for a while, so again, if anyone needs one speak up! Movie Devastator was marked down to 64.00, and Animated Rollout Prime was 20.00.

On the upside, finally found HA Barricade...not bad but not great. Better than Sideswipe though. I'd like to see a Sideways though, maybe with the Pretender chick.

I saw both Mindwipe and HA-Barricade of the ROTF early today at the local wally's.

The $20 Mindwipe's not that bad, actually. His jet-mode (F-117) was pretty kewl and aesthetically impressive. His underside kibble was almost non-existent, as compared to SScream and Jetfire. The bot-mode wasn't that bad, either. I was really tempted to get him. If only he was $15 or less. :lol:

HA-Barricade's nice in car-mode. Still look sucky in bot-mode. No issue passing on him.

Well, imo you were asking for it then. Clearly, you bought the shittiest of ROTF example to cement your pre existing opinion about the line.

So, to me, this purchase example is really a non-argument to me.

:blink: But...I didn't buy her. I just looked at the back of the box... my rant was based on that. No point actually purchasing it :)

Pete

Edit: Ok...I did write "picked up" ... which I guess has come to mean "bought" ... but I was using the phrase literally. I picked up the carded toy and looked it over :)

Edited by VFTF1

Edit: Ok...I did write "picked up" ... which I guess has come to mean "bought"
yeah, you should avoid throwing people off needlessly. Looking at a boxed toy is not the same as actually having it in your hands and transforming it/ posing it. Your description clearly read, as if you had that hands-on experience with the toy, which in fact, you didn't have.

... but I was using the phrase literally. I picked up the carded toy and looked it over :)
Still, the same principle applies...you chose to only give the one of the shittiest ROTF toys, a closer look, not the better ones ; thus, you fooled

yourself into thinking you're openminded to it, but you're pre existing opinion was even more cemented than ever. You feigned having an open mind to this toyline.

This results in being stuck in an endless loop of idea that G1 should copy paste itself infinitely. Yamato is so good at VF's because they're basically, all marginal variants to the same mold concept.

So, perhaps see some ROTF toy reviews on youtube, but make sure they're the ones which are generally acknowledged as really good molds :

- voyager Mindwipe

- deluxe Dirge

- deluxe Ratchet

- voyager Starscream ( main jet shape is superb, merely has hands sticking out at the rear )

- voyager Bludgeon

- etc.

Stay away from :

- leader Jetfire ( now THAT is a robot stuck underneath a jet worse than Silverbolt )

- voyager Scavenger/Demolisher ( probably too odd for you )

- any of the bike sisters

Edited by knoted

...but, but, I like Jetfire.
And that's OK, nothing wrong with liking him on his own merits.

However, he is prone to arguments which bash the ROTF line in general.

Sure, in a lot of ways we can see the designers put a lot of love in the mold.

It's just a bit of a shame that the electronics hamper the engineering.

At voyager class he would have been out of scale, but I think the potential

for something awesome would have been bigger.

hotrod.jpg

warbuds.jpg

For those of you looking for the Classic version of Hot Rod, look for the name "Rodimus" on the package.

I bet that Ultra Magnus set you back a pretty penny, Valkyrie Hunter D.

Edited by Wanzerfan

For those of you looking for the Classic version of Hot Rod, look for the name "Rodimus" on the package.

I bet that Ultra Magnus set you back a pretty penny, Valkyrie Hunter D.

Yeah, just a little under the price of any valk I've bought in the past year and well worth it. Sure the trailer mode is a big brick (it reminds of the trailers that carry F-1 racers), but I think the beefy UM look makes up for it.

Finally found Mindwipe out here. I'm impressed with the lack of kibble-real sleek. I haven't really tinkered around with it, but I'm liking what I see. HA Barricade is still MIA.

...but, but, I like Jets.

Fixed.

Seriously, do you actually like the Leader-class Jetfire toy as a Transformer, or as an SR-71 that, if positioned properly, isn't showing the kibble underneath?

but but, what's this in the encircled areas ?

VF-1A_Macross_masa_13.jpg

The barrel of a gunpod and the left rear landing gear?

And what does that have to do with me noting that David has to position jet-mode Jetfire just so if he wants to hide the kibble?

really? you're calling landing gear as kibble?

Nope.

The entire Valk legs, feet, arms and gunpod head.

Many Macross fans don't realize it consciously anymore, but from VF0 to VF25 the battroid legs and arms are as obviously in sight, just like the TF limbs of leader Jetfire.

The only subtle difference is the styling of the VF outer plating is similar to the rest of the VF ; but it is just as much ROBOT KIBBLE, as with ROTF leader class Jetfire.

In 25 years Macross, Kawamori has done zero to conceal the robo limbs and the concept of having the legs/feet as boosters is certainly a zero innovation policy. That's also why Yamato

can produce high end toys ; they can focus on one single concept, albeit with marginal variations.

In that pic you are not looking at a realistic F14 fighter jet. The VF toy engineering doesn't have to take realism into account ; while often, HasTak does have to strive for altmode

realism for a million different vehicles.

But people have grown so attached to the visual style, that they don't even "see" the robot kibble in VF designs anymore, even though it's there in plain sight for over 25 years already, but at

the same time, those same people complain about Transformers having a bit of robot kibble even if HasTak has to come up with a 100 different transformation schemes.

Edited by knoted