To keep Valk boxes or not???

stram8777

So a bit of background first, my wife just gave birth to my son a week and a half ago. So far she hasn't given me the get rid of some crap speech since I sold off my comic and model collections during pregnancy. But I have quite a few Valks a some rather large boxes taking up a rather large amount of room. I am sure these are next on her list of "expendable" things. So here is my request for advice, should I keep the boxes or get rid of them? if I got rid of them it would free up quite a bit of room and get her off my back.

Thanks for your input.

First off...Congratulations on your bouncing baby bundle.

Here is another, option that would be to fold up the boxes and stack all the insterts in a small closet. The accessories can be placed in baggies (labeled) and put away in the same closet.

Keeping the boxes is a bit of a hassle when there in box-shape, but once flattened the free up a lot of space. You can always unfold the boxes to their normal shape, when the need arises.

First off...Congratulations on your bouncing baby bundle.

Here is another, option that would be to fold up the boxes and stack all the insterts in a small closet. The accessories can be placed in baggies (labeled) and put away in the same closet.

Keeping the boxes is a bit of a hassle when there in box-shape, but once flattened the free up a lot of space. You can always unfold the boxes to their normal shape, when the need arises.

Thanks!!! I was thinking about throwing a box or two this few days; and your idea is great for someone who wishes to keep all the boxes for collection purpose.

If you wife gets on you for having them, you can try to make a case that you can pass them on to your son when he is old enough to take care of them and appreciate them. She wouldn't want to get in the way of a father-son bonding opportunity. :rolleyes:

I've done the folding boxes idea to some extent. It's important for 2 reasons. 1)Transportaion, if you need to move, the boxes help with protection and organization and 2)Reselling, if you ever need to sell a Valk, you won't have to sell it cheap cause you don't have the box. NB4M got the idea right.

I've done the folding boxes idea to some extent. It's important for 2 reasons. 1)Transportaion, if you need to move, the boxes help with protection and organization and 2)Reselling, if you ever need to sell a Valk, you won't have to sell it cheap cause you don't have the box. NB4M got the idea right.

Agreed. There was a picture of somone's collection posted in the forum a while back that showed how much space could be saved by doing the boxes this way. If I am not mistaken the member's name was Kensei I believe. The guy had all his valks secured with bubble wrap in plastic totes and all the accessories were seperated in little drawers or something.

Folding box sounds easy, but what do you do with the plastic tray? They are the main thing that take up space but also the part that actually protect the toy for transportation.

Well I guess a bunch of identical trays can stack up nicely.

Edited by CF18

DUDE!!!!!

BE a man and tell her NO, if she tries that $hit with you. I have a closet full of Macross/Robotech stuff and it's starting to explode into the room but it's my area!!

We have a Master Bathroom and her stuff takes up 3/4 of it.

We have 3 closets in the master Bedroom and 1/2 of one is mine.

So, you have to draw the line somewhere dammit!!!!......

Edited by Macross World Daddy

So a bit of background first, my wife just gave birth to my son a week and a half ago. So far she hasn't given me the get rid of some crap speech since I sold off my comic and model collections during pregnancy. But I have quite a few Valks a some rather large boxes taking up a rather large amount of room. I am sure these are next on her list of "expendable" things. So here is my request for advice, should I keep the boxes or get rid of them? if I got rid of them it would free up quite a bit of room and get her off my back.

Thanks for your input.

CONGRATS MATE on the baby boy! Listen to these guys...they KNOW what their talking about. They've been around the block.

Well if your wife really is that irritated over your collection the best thing to do would be to sell anything that you or her feels will take up too much space...

This should also give you some extra money that you can use for an emergency or things you really need atm... All I can say is that once you become a father your life should be devoted not only to your wife but to your kids also... Keeping a healthy family relationship is more important than anything these days because there is so little love in this world and that is one of the few outlets you have.

If you want to keep a few things for a small collection I see nothing wrong with that but if you feel you have a little too much excess it wouldn't hurt to sell a few things IMO... NE way goodluck with your baby and all...

don't draw a line between you and your wife... just give her something else in a box... Timberlake style!

It's my valk in a box!

My Valk in a box babe!

Christmas; valk in a box!

Hanukkah; valk in a box!

Kwanzaa; a valk in a box!

Every single holiday a valk in a box!

Over at your parent's house a valk in a box!

Mid day at the grocery store a valk in a box!

Vostok 7

DUDE!!!!!

BE a man and tell her NO, if she tries that $hit with you. I have a closet full of Macross/Robotech stuff and it's starting to explode into the room but it's my area!!

We have a Master Bathroom and her stuff takes up 3/4 of it.

We have 3 closets in the master Bedroom and 1/2 of one is mine.

So, you have to draw the line somewhere dammit!!!!......

What this guy said. He speaks the truth.

Stick to your guns. My stuff doesnt move. I think it has something to do with my mom throwing my stuff out as a kid. You can let them do whatever they want but if you have a hobby it doesnt matter to them and they want it gone. Just raise your pimp hand!

First off; congratulations!

Now about the boxes; if you don't have a huge pile of them and don't expect to have a huge pile in the future, then it should be O.K. to keep them. Folding the boxes can work for those toys that don't have a large amount of clear plastic bubble containers inside that you may need in the future. If you have a garage then maybe you can stuff the boxes there so your wife has more space (mine's already stuffed with other junk).

I crush almost all my boxes (except for Bandai S.O.C.'s, most Macross toys, and Masterpiece Transformers). But if you can believe it or not, that still takes up more than my closet (well, I do have some M.I.S.B. toys too). Now I have boxes and boxes of used toilet paper containers piling up in my collections room (full of folded boxes withing larger boxes). Below's a link to my collections room gallery, the last image is one of the boxes in my closet. That photo is from quite a while ago. I now have 10 of such boxes piled up in the room itself, I'm sorely tempted to just recycle everything. I hope you won't let your situation turn out this way. This mess is one reason why I'm now single (well, that and my ex-GF was kind of a hag).

http://loopydetails.com/index.php?/expose.html?album=10

don't draw a line between you and your wife... just give her something else in a box... Timberlake style!

It's my valk in a box!

My Valk in a box babe!

gallery_7126_36_153860.gif

Christmas; valk in a box!

Hanukkah; valk in a box!

Kwanzaa; a valk in a box!

Every single holiday a valk in a box!

Over at your parent's house a valk in a box!

Mid day at the grocery store a valk in a box!

gallery_7126_36_116814.gif

Vostok 7

Mad funny! :lol:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think I may take the accessories out of the boxes and then store the boxes folded as recomended. This would save me a lot of space and make room for new stuff, like a VF-25G, and allow me to keep so stuff in boxes safe in my closer.

I wouldn't say I have a huge collection or medium sized even. I consider my collection small, and well represented. I have been collecting since Yamato advertised the VF-11B, if I remember correctly, in previews magazine. I will try and post some pics in the picture gallery thread later today.

On a side note I understand about keeping the pimp hand strong, but part of keeping the pimp hand strong is knowing what battles can be won and which WILL be lost. Besides I keep my usage of storage space in the house to a minimum and she lets me keep my other more expensive hobby going. I have two Corvettes that I like to work on and gather parts for. LOL Sometimes more part gathering than working on.

Congrats on the kid.

I'm kinda in the same situation. I just purchased my 1st house and have been agonizing over which boxes to keep and which ones to purge. I've spent the last 2 weeks moving most of my large toy and comic book collection into the new house and when I saw most of the stuff boxed in the loft I was horrified. All of the boxes and storage tubs took up half of the bare loft. I think you should fold most of the large boxes you can, and purchase some of those 35-46 gallon storage containers. I put alot of my toys in them and I plan to fold most of the 1/48 boxes. You should be able to stack the toys in the plastic trays several deep in the storage tubs. I threw away most of my v1 1/60 and 1/72 toy boxes. The only ones of these I keep were the mint ones and some of the fast pack ones. Once you start purging some boxes it becomes easier to do.

You should also consider getting a small storage unit off site if your finances permit. I think this would appease both you and the wife and you would have a place to just dump stuff without thinking about whether or not you need to keep everything or condense.

D Unit your toy room is to die for. Awesome displays. Very clean and great use of the space you have. I love all of your cabinets.

Edited by Golden Arms

D Unit your toy room is to die for. Awesome displays. Very clean and great use of the space you have. I love all of your cabinets.

Thanks. :)

BTW stram8777; I wonder if your wife has a hobby of her own. I find that woman seldom reveal that they have hobbies to men. Either the guy's don't listen or the woman drops her habits in hope that her partner does the same with theirs.

I suspect this forums comprises of almost all males so it's hard to ask a female for her opinion here. I'm very fortunate to know (and respect) a number of older men and woman who have taught me that being mature doesn't mean you'll have stop being young at heart. Couples that play together stay together it seems.

Besides, what exactly does growing really mean? Sure you're more responsible, but that doesn't mean you can stop having fun. I guess I'm still traumatized by my last GF (from fear - NOT from regret). I've always dated carefree people before but I thought I should end up with a mature and responsible person (man was I wrong).

Anyway, I hope you'll have tons of fun with your new baby and your wife.

Thanks. :)

BTW stram8777; I wonder if your wife has a hobby of her own. I find that woman seldom reveal that they have hobbies to men. Either the guy's don't listen or the woman drops her habits in hope that her partner does the same with theirs.

I suspect this forums comprises of almost all males so it's hard to ask a female for her opinion here. I'm very fortunate to know (and respect) a number of older men and woman who have taught me that being mature doesn't mean you'll have stop being young at heart. Couples that play together stay together it seems.

Besides, what exactly does growing really mean? Sure you're more responsible, but that doesn't mean you can stop having fun. I guess I'm still traumatized by my last GF (from fear - NOT from regret). I've always dated carefree people before but I thought I should end up with a mature and responsible person (man was I wrong).

Anyway, I hope you'll have tons of fun with your new baby and your wife.

She does have hobbies of her own, she just doesn't indulge them often. Based on this I see your point and recognize it as been valid. I will begin checking into these things.

As an update I proposed the idea of folding boxes and storing them she totally went for it and even authorized the purchase of a new Bandai DX valk. She also really likes the display cases some of the members have so I may even be able to get a new display case out of this whole thing. Currently I am using the entertainment center in our room and it doesn't get dusted anywhere near as often as it should. LOL

Once again thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help.

This is a hard subject.

My gutt instinct was to go with some of the other guys with the whole "screw her! Valks before hoes!" argument and all that.

But then - you're completely right about how being the pimp means fighting only the battles that are really worth getting into.

My girlfriend knows that my collection means everything to me and that she's spent the last five years in a relationship with a total FANBOY.

If she really hated it I think she would have totally gotten rid of me by now. Then again - it helps we don't live together. She has a ton of woman stuff (clothes, boots, shoes, high heels etc etc etc) and I buy her stuff for presents.

She doesn't give me grief over my hobby. In fact, she mainly gives me grief over other things. It's been ages since she's complained about my collecting. Mainly all I hear is "you have to wash your shoes" (I think they're clean, but she's got this crazy cleaning phobia) and she often complains that I eat like a slob or that I talk to much or am too loud or have no manners or am too rough on her in bed etc etc etc.

In other words:

MY STRATEGY:

DO SO MUCH BAD SH!T TO YOUR WOMAN THAT YOUR VALKS WILL BE THE LEAST OF HER WORRIES :)

Works every time

Pete

Congrats on the kid :)