Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.3

azrael

I am starting to develop this idea:

You DON'T need any tools (paint, brushes, pliers, knifes, airbrush, spray cans, NOTHING).

All you need is a friend to professionally built the whole SMS squadron for you, for free! :wub:

Lolz, is a option, but there nothing more pleasant that build your own Valkyrie :p

How did you get that purple tint?

Originally, I started off using the diluted paint method posted awhile back. Basically, you take Tamiya clear and mix in a little bit of regular Tamiya purple to make purple water (very heavily diluted purple). Then dip the canopy in and use a paper towel to soak up the excess.

It does give a good result, but being as clumsy as I am, I was kinda slow at soaking up all the excess to ensure an even finish. The mix starts drying and quickly starts becoming sticky, making it hard to soak up any more.

So I made another mixture but this time I used Future instead of Tamiya clear. I'm well aware (obviously) that Tamiya acrylic has a tendency to clump up when mixed with Future. Well, I pressed on anyway and spent a few minutes stirring until it was as dissolved as possible. I just let it sit for a minute and any remaining clumps settled to the bottom. Then I dipped the canopy in (taking care not to scrape the bottom), soaked up the excess, and voila! Purple tinted canopy.

The watery nature of Future made it easy to soak up the excess and get the even finish I wanted. It took me a few attempts to get the right amount of purple, but luckily Future can be washed off easily with water before it dries. Also had the added benefit of simultaneously sealing in the purple tint. B))

I recommend the first method for a decently skilled modeler, and the second for clumsy fools like me.

When I remove the part from the sprue, I try to clip it as close as I can. Once it is clipped, I take a Squadron Tri-Grit sanding stick and sand it down until it is flat using the coarse and fine grits. Then, I rub a little water or spit on the part and use the polishing area of the sanding stick to polish the nub to almost nothing. The cool thing is that wet sanding it down like that virtually eliminates being able to see where the nub was. It takes time, but in many cases by sanding that nub down to nothing means many of the parts fit together better. If you can't get the Squadron Tri-Grit stick you can get one very similar in the lady's manicure dept of the local drugstore.

When I remove the part from the sprue, I try to clip it as close as I can. Once it is clipped, I take a Squadron Tri-Grit sanding stick and sand it down until it is flat using the coarse and fine grits. Then, I rub a little water or spit on the part and use the polishing area of the sanding stick to polish the nub to almost nothing. The cool thing is that wet sanding it down like that virtually eliminates being able to see where the nub was. It takes time, but in many cases by sanding that nub down to nothing means many of the parts fit together better. If you can't get the Squadron Tri-Grit stick you can get one very similar in the lady's manicure dept of the local drugstore.

That sounds like a great technique.

A small update.

I sanded the VF's nose, after gluing the two parts. This causes a partial loss of the panel line that runs all round the nose but it still looks better than before. I connected the nose to the cockpit section. All thats left here is the canopy, wich i will leave to the very end of the build, and applying the stickers and some mild weathering.

The missing panel line:

post-9322-1240944787_thumb.jpg

That's not a panel line, that's a seam line.

That's not a panel line, that's a seam line.

Sorry. I tend to call seam lines to the parting line of two parts that should, preferably, be removed or made as subtle as possible. This is a line between two parts but should not disapear since in the anime there is a line across the VF-25 nose, so i called it a panel line. This is just another testament to how well Bandai tried to hide the seam lines on these babies. :rolleyes:

How do humans achieve these kind of model making feats??!

I'd have buy the Q-rea in custom Klan red in the blink of an eye...c'mon Bandai, c'mon and get my money!!!!

To me that seems to be the Yamato 1/60 modified..

Is there any specific size for the Q-rea? as in height and weight?

To me that seems to be the Yamato 1/60 modified..

Is there any specific size for the Q-rea? as in height and weight?

considering that the stand on it is the action base 2 it's probably about the size of a 1/144 scale Gundam, or maybe the VF100 Messiah.

tiny thing. most likely 100% scratch built.

I agree, I have the 1/60 Yamato Millia and this does not look like a mod but more like a scratch build, that's why I think it's a nice job!

I insist Bandai would be doing me a favor if it took my money with a 1/72 Q-rea, it just needs to be taller than a VF-25 for sure...not sure what's the "real" size, but the bigger the better!

Of the VF-25 customs shown earlier, I only like the cannon fodder (who actually never get shot, the NUNS VF-171 do get blown up all the time). That "S" has a weird modded fast/super/armor pack with nukes that just does not look better than the lineart/original design.

It has been ages since i posted anything in this thread. bought it yesterday and finish assembling it in 5 hours. Decalling (which is still not quite finished yet) took 1 hour. Still rough at the edges and I am not done with it as I am yet to paint Ozma pilot.

P1050040.jpg

P1050037.jpg

P1050052.jpg

Against a Decepticon? Starscream doesn't even stand a chance.

P1050049.jpg

P1050050.jpg

Man, I have not done modelling kits for so long, this build looks kinda sad. :huh:

Edited by TCracker

Already was posted in Ngee's site but it was rather small...

large scan of Armored VF-25S enjoy

post-9633-1241276789_thumb.jpg

Wow, nice. That thing just looks Ridiculously heavy though, I wonder if the final product will even be able to hole itself up when build without a stand.

that kit is coming out in June :)

so for april-may we have no vf-25 kit releases... dry spell

while i went shopping today i almost bought a Gundam 00 raiser kit out of desperation,

i also went over to eye the yf-19 25th anniv hasegawa kit...

guess june just cant come soon enough :D

to kill time, i removed super parts from my mikhail/michel/michael and took some pics

CopyofPicture001.jpg

CopyofPicture003.jpg

CopyofPicture.jpg

while i went shopping today i almost bought a Gundam 00 raiser kit out of desperation,

to kill time, i removed super parts from my mikhail/michel/michael and took some pics

Hey Honkhet, the last time we saw your Mikhail the white stripes were a lot duller than they are in these pics. How did you get them so white? Did you switch out the stickers for decals?

haha good catch,

yes i did indeed change almost all the stickers to decals

got the inspiration from Alfye ;)

now i am working on the super parts as well while they're off

*EDIT*

i sprayed almost 6 layers in total of semi-gloss clear (it became an obsession)

and lastly topcoat,

js to make sure the decals didnt get ruined while i transformed it back and forth

Edited by honkhet

Kill time? no vf kits? crossing to the dark side and getting a guncrap?!!

I have a better idea: BUILD MINE!!!! build mine...build mine...build mine instead.... Seriously, I cannot get myself the time or the "feel" to start building the SMS squad! how does one finish the Superpack "S" in 5 hours (!!!)

The Armored "S" does look like it's going to be a heavy sucker. and the Superpack boosters are already causing quite some strain on the backplate/wingfold hinges, so I wonder how the super booster+nukes+whatnot will be held on one single hinge? or do we get a different basic "S" for the bundle?

I am very sure it comes with the stand for a reason: it simply cannot stand without it.

I am still sold, no time to build but I have to have the hope of building them.

and guys, the w.i.p. and finished product pictures are encouraging, yet if anyone is really really really bored, there is a SMS squad waiting for your skilled hands!

by the way found some CF vf-25 pics while re-watching Mac-F

its in ep20 just after sheryl starts singing and the CF squadron is sent out to defend the frontier from vajra,

while skull squad members are still stuck underground the sms base.

we can see the head! its a....

ep20.jpg

cf25g_1.jpg

cf25g_0.jpg

cf25g.jpg

I've been unhappy with the quality of the paint job on my Alto pilot figure for some time now, and since I was planning on building two VF-25Fs anyway (one fighter and one battroid), I decided to break out the second pilot and paint him.

I've never painted miniatures nor anything this tiny before. I enjoyed and loathed the challenge, and by some miracle, I actually ended up with a decent-looking pilot. :blink: Please forgive the quality of the pic as it's the middle of the night and I didn't want to break out the tripod. ^_^

post-5703-1241434543_thumb.jpg

its in ep20 just after sheryl starts singing and the CF squadron is sent out to defend the frontier from vajra,

Looks like a woodlands paint scheme, interesting. Nice alternative to the hero mechs.

I've been unhappy with the quality of the paint job on my Alto pilot figure for some time now, and since I was planning on building two VF-25Fs anyway (one fighter and one battroid), I decided to break out the second pilot and paint him.

I've never painted miniatures nor anything this tiny before. I enjoyed and loathed the challenge, and by some miracle, I actually ended up with a decent-looking pilot. :blink: Please forgive the quality of the pic as it's the middle of the night and I didn't want to break out the tripod. ^_^

wow, really nice job. These guys are just ridiculously tiny.

cf25g.jpg

Nice--- though looking at the shoulder number, it looks like all they did was re-colour Michaels valk ^_^

Edited by edwin3060

Definitely one of the best I've seen so far. (looks a lot like mine actually!)

I think it was discussed somewhere, but now there is graphic evidence that the cannon fodders (which I don't even recall seeing blown up as often as the NUNS' VF-171!) were "G" in a golden/tan paint scheme. I actually think they look greenish-gold and not khaki like the old VF-1 cannon fodders.

I am not sure, but since it's basically a G with a different color scheme, Bandai will probably be slower in coming out with it. Maybe in the movie they get more screen time and a different designation/head!? recipe for more Bandai-fest.

David, can we see how's yours coming together? you seem to have been doing some very very careful detailed work, but I kind of lost track how far you've come!