Yeah, why did Banagher board the Garencieres again? Wouldn't they [shouldn't they?] be pissed that he essentially killed their helmsman (forgot his name) on his way down to earth, and nearly beat their commanding officer in combat (although beating neo char is a moot point compared to killing their helm buddy)

Well it can't be helped if some details were forgotten, 6 month gap and stuff.

Banagher and the Zeon captain were in the desert for some time before I could even recall how Banagher wound up with the Grancerias crew in the first place.

At the end of 3rd OVA, Unicorn is falling into atmosphere. Garancieres can be seen approaching it. That's how Unicorn can re-enter the atmosphere safely. Garancieres saved Banagher's life. But that's not the reason why Banagher stay with Garancieres crew. As we saw on 4th OVA, the ship is stuck to the ground in a position that no mobile suit can move out. So Banagher can't use Unicorn to escape.

Yeah, why did Banagher board the Garencieres again? Wouldn't they [shouldn't they?] be pissed that he essentially killed their helmsman (forgot his name) on his way down to earth, and nearly beat their commanding officer in combat (although beating neo char is a moot point compared to killing their helm buddy)

Oh they're pissed indeed. But then they can't kill Banagher even if they want to. Unicorn is the key to Laplace box and only Banagher can activate the Gundam. If anything, it is the federation that will not hesitate to destroy Unicorn (and seal the box location forever), instead of the Sleeves that put all their hope in the box content.

That reminds me--did I miss it, or has there been very little speculation here on what's in the box? And do they mean box in a literal sense? BIg huge box with a Gundam inside? Or little box with a data card full of evidence...

PS---no, I haven't read the manga and don't intend to, so please don't spoil the "real" answer.

That reminds me--did I miss it, or has there been very little speculation here on what's in the box? And do they mean box in a literal sense? BIg huge box with a Gundam inside? Or little box with a data card full of evidence...

PS---no, I haven't read the manga and don't intend to, so please don't spoil the "real" answer.

The Laplace Box houses the original charter of the Universal Century signed by the UN. There's a clause in there that grants the colonies more independence than they have. Hence, this would have granted Zeon Zum Deikun's movement more legitimacy and would make the Federation lose any control of the colonies, paint them as the aggressors, and undermine their authority. The La+ Program in the RX-0 Unicorn is the key to unlocking the box. This is why Neo-Zeon want it to justify their cause, why the Feds will do anything to keep it out of their hands to maintain power, and why a whole bunch of other people want control of it.

I dunno. It's perfectly in keeping with the politically-driven plots of the UC stories. What did you think it would be?

Besides that, it couldn't be anything too revolutionary. Gundam F91 and the rest still have to follow, so you can't mess up the universe too much with a

story set in UC 0096.

Edited by Penguin

In case you don't want to read the spoilers, I'll just say that its a bit underwhelming as Eugimon says, but necessary to keep the storyline in check with the rest of UC, and not retcon everything that comes afterward.

I don't know how it ends either, just what's in the box, AND I hear that the directors want to digress from the manga storyline, so it's still uncertain about the conclusive episodes of Unicorn.

How many episodes were planned again?

The underlying revelation and idea is fine. It fits nicely into the morality play of the UC... it's just the execution...

like saying Julian Assange hid the password for wiki leaks inside a tank... it's just incredibly lame.

Edited by eugimon

In case you don't want to read the spoilers, I'll just say that its a bit underwhelming as Eugimon says, but necessary to keep the storyline in check with the rest of UC, and not retcon everything that comes afterward.

I don't know how it ends either, just what's in the box, AND I hear that the directors want to digress from the manga storyline, so it's still uncertain about the conclusive episodes of Unicorn.

How many episodes were planned again?

Nit-picky note: It's a series of novels, not a manga.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the U.S. Unicorn blurays are quietly going OOP, with volume 1 already becoming hard to find. Anyone interested may want to pick them up sooner than later. The upside, the Japanese blurays still have english subs. Hopefully this isn't bad news for the 5th & 6th episodes being released here.

It looks like the U.S. Unicorn blurays are quietly going OOP, with volume 1 already becoming hard to find. Anyone interested may want to pick them up sooner than later. The upside, the Japanese blurays still have english subs. Hopefully this isn't bad news for the 5th & 6th episodes being released here.

Are you sure they're gone for good, or are they just between pressings?

Wouldn't surprise me if they're going Out of Production. Sales for these have got to be horrible with people knowingly wanting to wait until all 6 episodes become available paying probably a lot less than 40 bucks an episode. Or just getting them on torrent.

Bandai really likes to charge the crap out of you for their products.

Rightstuf.com has dropped their listing for the first volume, and the other 3 have inventory counters on them, which usually means OOP. As for the pricing, this is strictly a Japanese release issue, and even then, we're paying a bit less than the import.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently there was a poll in the Japanese BD release...

Gundam UC Episode 4 BD & DVD Survey - Which MS/MA would you want to see appearing in Gundam UC?

Barzam (29.62%)

Z Plus (27.50%)

Kampfer (15.15%)

Big Zam (8.29%)

Doben Wolf (5.68%)

GM Sniper II (5.37%)

Zakrello (3.34%)

Bawoo (1.75%)

Gabthley (1.66%)

Aggu (1.65%)

Barzam? WTH? How did that one get 29% of the voters?

I think there's worse mobile suits than the Barzam to be nominated. Hell, I'm surpised the Zakrello got enough votes to actually make it on the list.

The Zakrello is at least fun in it's awkward stupidity. Barzams just suck.

Edited by anime52k8

Thing is, Zeta Plus would actually be something new. We've seen Kampfer animated in OVA-quality. We've seen Barzam. But Zeta Plus would actually be "something we'd really like to see for the first time".

I think the Zeta Plus was in the old Gundam Sentinel model kit commercial :3

Also think you have a slightly skewed idea of fan entitlement.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to go OT for a minute, but do you guys know of ANY Byalant custom model kits or action figures, etc. preferably larger than 1/144th?

I don't care if it's resin or not either. Gah, that was such an awesome mobile suit, and I've been trying to find myself a model kit representation of it since...

Model kit commercial showing Zeta Plus? Animated, as in, painted cels etc? This I'm unaware of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam_Sentinel

"The series was never animated (although a short animated television commercial for a model kit was made) or released as a manga, but the mecha have been featured in various SD Gundam video games, such as SD Gundam G Generation F."

I guessing it's like the commercial for the Formula Wars video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mb58EOFVBM

• 3 weeks later...

Synopsis for Episode 5 is up:

http://www.gundam-unicorn.net/en/world/index.html

Banagher is attacked by the black mobile suit Banshee, and taken into custody. Backed into a corner, he still continues to conceal the new coordinates leading to Laplace's Box which were revealed by the Unicorn Gundam. Bright, the commander of the Londo Bell, sees in Banagher the dignity and possibility shown by generations of Gundam pilots, and he finds help from old firends he once fought beside.

Meanwhile, Mineva has been handed over from Ronan to Martha, and she is transferred to the giant transport plane Garuda as a pawn to make Banagher talk. The conflict surrounding the Box soars to a high altitude and, finally, back into space...

Theatrical screening release date: May 19th 2012

On Blu-Ray & DVD: June 8th, 2012

I'm surprised that Gundam Unicorn has soo few Sentinels based mobile suits aside from the GM III's and stuff, especially considering it was the most *recent* gundam series before UC. I'd have definetely thought that a few FAZZs, Zeta Plus (which was on the poll :) ), GM III Nouvels, or Neros would have shown up by now (maybe even a knock - off S gundam or Gundam mk III?).

That'd be pretty cool for me, especially since Sentinels was never animated...

I'm surprised that Gundam Unicorn has soo few Sentinels based mobile suits aside from the GM III's and stuff, especially considering it was the most *recent* gundam series before UC.

Sentinel took place before and during early part of ZZ, UC 0088. Char's Counter Attack would be more than recent than that. And GM III is from ZZ, the one from Sentinel is Nouvel GM III which is slightly different.