The MW Automotive Thread Quattro SpecV

areaseven

It's probably not feasible for me to make it out this year, but I might give it a shot next year. What exactly is it? A high-speed autocross or something cooler?

From what I saw from the link, it's just high-speed time trials.

From what I saw from the link, it's just high-speed time trials.

Yup, that is what it is. The unique thing about this one is that it's one of the longest-standing events of its type in the Western US. It's a classic.

Seriously, would James Bond drive such a thing? It's the Cygnet, Aston Martin's answer to Europe's demand for companies to comply with stricter emissions regulations. In reality, it's a Toyota iQ with a new front end and leather interior. And since it wears the Aston Martin badge, it's not cheap. Prices will start at £30,000 - roughly the price of four Toyota iQs.

2009-Aston-Martin-Cygnet-Concept-Bond-1280x960.jpg

2009-Aston-Martin-Cygnet-Concept-Rear-Angle-Speed-1280x960.jpg

2009-Aston-Martin-Cygnet-Concept-Interior-1280x960.jpg

2009 Aston Martin Cygnet Concept

Yup, that is what it is. The unique thing about this one is that it's one of the longest-standing events of its type in the Western US. It's a classic.

I checked out some YouTube videos and it looks like a longer, high speed autocross -- way fun. Hiriyu, how many runs do you usually get at this event?

I think I'll try and convince some friends to caravan down for it next year.

YLM, you can expect up to about half a dozen runs total, depending on how many people show up.

Steve K. has run there a couple of times, don't know if you still ever see him around. I'll probably be seeing him in about a week, I'll tell him Hi for you.

That's a nice GTS, notch back's are always lighter than hatchbacks that's a great choice and in great shape. I'm not sure where you live, but in my state it hits the antique law, so you can do the most illegal things to it (in regards to emissions) with no consequence. What are your plans for the car? (besides driving it of course)

Seriously, would James Bond drive such a thing? It's the Cygnet, Aston Martin's answer to Europe's demand for companies to comply with stricter emissions regulations. In reality, it's a Toyota iQ with a new front end and leather interior. And since it wears the Aston Martin badge, it's not cheap. Prices will start at £30,000 - roughly the price of four Toyota iQs.

blech! They should be fuggin' ashamed of themselves.

and to think--the DB-S was one of my all-time favorite dream cars. Can't believe they'd actually sell these (and at that price) "with a straight face"

Edited by reddsun1

blech! They should be fuggin' ashamed of themselves.

and to think--the DB-S was one of my all-time favorite dream cars. Can't believe they'd actually sell these (and at that price) "with a straight face"

It's because the new investors/owners of the company want to turn a profit, they could care less for the brand names reputation.

It's because the new investors/owners of the company want to turn a profit, they could care less for the brand names reputation.

As I understand it, Porsche is in a similar situation, since since VW has acquired them; i.e. increase-sales-volume-or-else. It's like they've gotten the corporate equivalent of the pimp-speech from head honcho Martin Winkelhorn "...all I know is: you bitches betta start showin' me some mo' money when I come 'round--or else!" ^_^

I forgot to mention that the Cygnet will be offered only to existing Aston Martin owners. Not too long ago, me and a group of friends talked about this and one of them said that maybe an AM owner will buy one for his wife. Yeah right! A self-respecting DBS owner would simply give his wife a V8 Vantage. To give her a Cygnet would probably result in a divorce. :lol:

2009 Aston Martin Cygnet Concept

All Aston Martin suck, what's so special about this one?

Hiriyu, I actually saw him the day before I bought the GTS. Guess he's been keeping himself busy by making his 2002 even more insane and buying a bike.

That's a nice GTS, notch back's are always lighter than hatchbacks that's a great choice and in great shape. I'm not sure where you live, but in my state it hits the antique law, so you can do the most illegal things to it (in regards to emissions) with no consequence. What are your plans for the car? (besides driving it of course)

I don't have much of a preference as to coupe vs. hatchback, but everything else about the car seemed right so I jumped on this one. For a while I think the hatchbacks went more because of the Initial D bullshit, but I guess at this point they both go for about the same. I don't have much in mind for it, yet. It's been mildly modded about how I'd want, so I'll probably just buy an extra set of tires and start autocrossing it.

Mechanically it's been running great, aside from the clutch which is starting to go but still very driveable. My biggest priority is getting rid of the rust on the roof/quarter panel, as it's getting pretty bad in one spot. Took it in for an estimate today and they said it'd be around $1200 to cut out the cancerous part on the 1/4 panel and replace it, fix the surface rust on the hood and repaint it. Expensive, but it doesn't seem outrageous. The hood also needs to get get repainted or replace (carbon fiber?).

I'm in California, so my hands are still pretty tied despite the age.

All Aston Martin suck, what's so special about this one?

Well from a performance standpoint yes.. I think the Vantage is one of the best looking car on the road though.

I've never really been into Hot Wheels...but this is pretty cool.

Has a very "Speed Racer" vibe to it.

hot_wheels_twin_mill.jpg

haha thats funny i just bought my daughter a green color version hot wheels of that car

post-12470-127376787061_thumb.jpgNot as rich and fancy as some of you here

This is still my dream car.

But Alas I might have to settle for the 2011 Elantra Touring Sport.

Well you may have the chance to own yours, the rest of us will probably never have that Mclaren F1 we want so bad.

post-12470-127376787061_thumb.jpgNot as rich and fancy as some of you here

This is still my dream car.

But Alas I might have to settle for the 2011 Elantra Touring Sport.

Genesis coupe is an awesome car-give it a year or two and it'll be just as good as its competition. Meanwhile, if we're talking about "attainable" dream cars I'd love to get my hands on an '05/06 GTO right now...

Genesis coupe is an awesome car-give it a year or two and it'll be just as good as its competition. Meanwhile, if we're talking about "attainable" dream cars I'd love to get my hands on an '05/06 GTO right now...

My "attainable" dream car would be a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. Yeah, I know everyone seems to have a fondness for other Evos first, but I really dig that body style (it was a step in the right direction after the way they brutalized the Eclipse).

Still can't afford an Evo, though. Bought a 2010 Lancer GTS instead.

SDC10700.JPG

What surprised me the most about the process how sentimental I got about my old car when I was trading it in. It wasn't anything fancy... just a 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage DE coupe. But it was the very first brand new car I'd ever bought, shortly after college and 3 days after I got married. After driving it for 8 years, I got kind of attached, I guess. Trading it in was a lot like putting down an old pet... you know it's for the best, but your gonna miss that loyal companion.

Nice Mitsu. I test drove a new Lancer GTS. My only complaint about it was the spoiler hindering my rear visibility. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an Evo VIII or IX but they're pretty hard to find in my area and within my budget, not to mention ones that haven't been abused. WRX's and STi's are alot more common though.

Edited by Shadow

Nice Mitsu. I test drove a new Lancer GTS. My only complaint about it was the spoiler hindering my rear visibility. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an Evo VIII or IX but they're pretty hard to find in my area and within my budget, not to mention ones that haven't been abused. WRX's and STi's are alot more common though.

I'm not going to say that spoiler never gets in the way, but it's actually the rear seat headrests that give me the most grief. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't just check his mirrors; I gotta take a quick peak over my shoulder before I change lanes. If I'm moving left to right, that puts the back seat on the passenger side's headrest in exactly the spot I'm looking.

Luckily, they can be removed.

My "attainable" dream car would be a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. Yeah, I know everyone seems to have a fondness for other Evos first, but I really dig that body style (it was a step in the right direction after the way they brutalized the Eclipse).

Still can't afford an Evo, though. Bought a 2010 Lancer GTS instead.

What surprised me the most about the process how sentimental I got about my old car when I was trading it in. It wasn't anything fancy... just a 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage DE coupe. But it was the very first brand new car I'd ever bought, shortly after college and 3 days after I got married. After driving it for 8 years, I got kind of attached, I guess. Trading it in was a lot like putting down an old pet... you know it's for the best, but your gonna miss that loyal companion.

A 2001 Mirage DE coupe was also my first brand new car. It was a very reliable car with great gas mileage. Sold it last year and purchased a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I could've gone for the Lancer Sportback.

Edited by Vifam7

A 2001 Mirage DE coupe was also my first brand new car. It was a very reliable car with great gas mileage. Sold it last year and purchased a 2010 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. I could've gone for the Lancer Sportback.

The sportback? Really? I've kind of thought of it as an eyesore. I'm not saying there's anything inherently bad about sportbacks, but the front of the Lancer just doesn't match the back, like they took the front and rear of two different vehicles and cobbled them together.

The sportback? Really? I've kind of thought of it as an eyesore. I'm not saying there's anything inherently bad about sportbacks, but the front of the Lancer just doesn't match the back, like they took the front and rear of two different vehicles and cobbled them together.

I kinda agree. The front looks nice but the back is rather plain. I almost chose the Lancer Sprtbck because I really liked how the interior looked. It felt very Mitsubishi.

For my new car, I wanted a 4-door Japanese hatchback so my choices came down to the Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, and the Mazda3. The current Impreza gets lots of flak, but I picked as my choice.

I kinda agree. The front looks nice but the back is rather plain. I almost chose the Lancer Sprtbck because I really liked how the interior looked. It felt very Mitsubishi.

For my new car, I wanted a 4-door Japanese hatchback so my choices came down to the Subaru Impreza, Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, and the Mazda3. The current Impreza gets lots of flak, but I picked as my choice.

The Impreza's not a bad choice (standard AWD ;) ), and you can't reward Mitsubishi for bad behavior by actually buying the Lancer Sportback. But since I'm not into hatchbacks, I'm on the Mitsubishi side of the old Lancer/Evo-Impreza/WRX rivalry.

Ultimately, all that matters is that you're happy with your choice. I've only had mine for a few days, but I adore it. Hope your Subaru's giving you as much joy.

I'm not going to say that spoiler never gets in the way, but it's actually the rear seat headrests that give me the most grief. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't just check his mirrors; I gotta take a quick peak over my shoulder before I change lanes. If I'm moving left to right, that puts the back seat on the passenger side's headrest in exactly the spot I'm looking.

Luckily, they can be removed.

Nice car. I like the body design

However my response to earlier comments. In Canada. Cars are 20-30% more than the US??? Even tho some of them are made here.!!!! Although I love the Genesis Coupe. Its not practical for the family. I am waiting for 0% financing on a Vera Cruz but I know I will never see the dealer offer 0% on the vera Cruz. They are only offering it on the Sonata and the regular fugly Elantra

Is it just me or does that Mitsubishi sort of resemble a VolvoS80

They look different enough that, had you not said anything, I'd have never noticed. But now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance.

It's not entirely surprising. I know that Volvo and Mitsubishi had a joint venture going in the early '90s, and when Ford bought Volvo they sold Volvo's shares of the joint venture to Mitsubishi. That joint venture produced the Mitsubishi Carisma as well as the Volvo S40. And I could have sworn that I read somewhere that it was a former Volvo designer who designed the current Lancer.

• 3 weeks later...

Ford finally getting rid of Mercury is a genius move that should have happened decades ago. This is where they should invest the time and money to turn Lincoln into a real luxury brand (remember when the Navigator was a competitor to the Escalade?) and keep the momentum going for the Ford brand.

In other news, i bought a 92 Honda Prelude for $60, and no it's not a parts car, it actually runs and drives, and will pass safety and emissions. Co-worker owned it and just wanted to get rid of it, so that worked out plenty good for me. It looks horrid as hell, but i spend more than $60 on dinner for the family, so if nothing else i can always turn around and sell it.

Edited by emajnthis

In other news, i bought a 92 Honda Prelude for $60, and no it's not a parts car, it actually runs and drives, and will pass safety and emissions. Co-worker owned it and just wanted to get rid of it, so that worked out plenty good for me. It looks horrid as hell, but i spend more than $60 on dinner for the family, so if nothing else i can always turn around and sell it.

How many miles is on that Prelude? :blink: Even if the interior/exterior looks really bad, if the mechanical & electrical stuff work good, there's value there.

Ford finally getting rid of Mercury is a genius move that should have happened decades ago. This is where they should invest the time and money to turn Lincoln into a real luxury brand (remember when the Navigator was a competitor to the Escalade?) and keep the momentum going for the Ford brand.

For real. I mean, at least Pontiac and Saturn looked different than Chevy, even if they were running on the same frames and engines. It always seemed to me like Mercury had an identical Ford twin, and was therefore totally redundant.

Good deal on the Prelude, BTW.