The computer and electronics super geek thread

Dante74

I need a jack of all trades computer with a lot of HD space and I would like to keep it around 700 I do not care about the video card since I plan on getting a beefy one in January so Stock video is fine.

I would probably go with the Asus. The processor is a little beefier and will probably last you longer than the Gateway's processor. Considering the advertised specs, I'm fairly sure it will last you 3-4 years. If you don't plan on gaming or watching HD video, the Gateway would be sufficient.

Wee, I got a broken laptop screen, courtesy of me. Of course it's still usuable and I have hooked up to my CRT at the moment.

Now, of course the laptop's outside of warranty and I doubt Dell will cover it anyways. But should I just send it in anyways and pay for the repair cost or buy a replacement screen from a reputable seller, Ebay, etc? Anything should I watch out for when buying replacement screens?

I never really was one to throw away things that are still useable (or have sort of value to me), but since latops are so semi-cheap nowadays, should I consider it?

Edited by shiroikaze

Wee, I got a broken laptop screen, courtesy of me. Of course it's still usuable and I have hooked up to my CRT at the moment.

Now, of course the laptop's outside of warranty and I doubt Dell will cover it anyways. But should I just send it in anyways and pay for the repair cost or buy a replacement screen from a reputable seller, Ebay, etc? Anything should I watch out for when buying replacement screens?

I never really was one to throw away things that are still useable (or have sort of value to me), but since latops are so semi-cheap nowadays, should I consider it?

Depends on what you use it for. Higher end laptops that can play games are still pretty expensive, but we've reached a point where you can buy a $400 laptop that can handle 1080p video without sneezing.

Depends on what you use it for. Higher end laptops that can play games are still pretty expensive, but we've reached a point where you can buy a $400 laptop that can handle 1080p video without sneezing.

Mostly web browsing, programming and productivity, torrenting, 720p viewing, and very, very limited gaming--I already made my peace with my laptop concerning gaming, can't even run what's it supposed to be able to run... Can't run <insert mildly-hardware-taxing game here> on lowest possible settings? Shocking.

I already decided that my future desktop will be for gaming and such. So I can live without a gaming laptop; I don't think I feel too ready to plop down $400 for another laptop really (maybe).

Looking on Ebay, laptop screens are mildly cheap. However, I don't see anyone carrying a WXGA+ screen though :(

Edited by shiroikaze

Mostly web browsing, programming and productivity, torrenting, 720p viewing, and very, very limited gaming--I already made my peace with my laptop concerning gaming, can't even run what's it supposed to be able to run... Can't run <insert mildly-hardware-taxing game here> on lowest possible settings? Shocking.

I already decided that my future desktop will be for gaming and such. So I can live without a gaming laptop; I don't think I feel too ready to plop down $400 for another laptop really (maybe).

Looking on Ebay, laptop screens are mildly cheap. However, I don't see anyone carrying a WXGA+ screen though :(

You could also consider older games to run on the laptop. I've gotten Master of Orion 2 to work flawlessly on my netbook. I just networked my DVD drive on my desktop to my netbook, installed Moo2, and then copied the contents of the CD to the netbook's hard drive, and told the game where to look for the "CD" (go to the file called orioncd.ini, and type in the location of the cd, ie D:\orionCD). Also, steam and GOG.com is great for old games. Heck Half Life works pretty good on my netbook too, surprisingly.

Of course, the netbook can't handle 720p or even 1080p video, but it will do standard definition video just fine.

Then you may just want to spend the money on the replacement screen.

Dell will replace the screen but you will have to pay for it. You can have them send you a replacement screen and you can install it yourself. Give them a call to see if they sell replacement screens for your model. Otherwise, you can buy one off Ebay.

Anybody using Windows 7 (32bit) and CCCP together, suffering from a slow Windows Explorer?

I had to redo my system and re-installed everything except CCCP and now Explorer is back to its standard quickness.

I'm speculating that it's the Matroska Shell Integration stuff.

Any alternatives, how good is the shark007 Win7 codec pack?

Anybody using Windows 7 (32bit) and CCCP together, suffering from a slow Windows Explorer?

I had to redo my system and re-installed everything except CCCP and now Explorer is back to its standard quickness.

I'm speculating that it's the Matroska Shell Integration stuff.

Any alternatives, how good is the shark007 Win7 codec pack?

I use it and have no problems. I noticed that when I first installed Windows 7, I had a bunch of problems installing things and got a bunch of errors. CCCP was one of them too. When I re-installed Windows 7, I only used 1 stick of 1gb ram and everything went smoothly. I installed everything I needed to install and then put back the remainder of the 3 sticks of ram and the system now runs like a champ.

Okay time to report another problem with my laptop.

Not sure if I already reported this or not but this 'new' issue is happening more. She's Freezes. I noticed when they add more features to IE things got slower. I just used Firefox more. No problems. Well Firefox starts to freezes the on the first attempt to open. In fact a few programs don't open on the first try. Maybe this use to happen 1 out of 100 times. Now it seems like 1 out of 3. Half the time when turn the computer off I have to unplug it to go off. I think I'm just gonna have fun watching this one die. Once it does I'll just use my PS3 for the couple weeks before I to get a new one.

OK. I have a (probably dumb) question.

I have an AMD x64 processor, so I know I should be able to run a 64-bit OS, but when I bought my computer it came with Vista 32-bit. When 7 came out, I upgraded to the 32-bit version of that.

Is there any benefit to running 64 vs. 32? Is it even possible to go from 32-bit 7 to 64-bit 7? I was pretty surprised that Microsoft supplied a disc for both versions.

OK. I have a (probably dumb) question.

I have an AMD x64 processor, so I know I should be able to run a 64-bit OS, but when I bought my computer it came with Vista 32-bit. When 7 came out, I upgraded to the 32-bit version of that.

Is there any benefit to running 64 vs. 32? Is it even possible to go from 32-bit 7 to 64-bit 7? I was pretty surprised that Microsoft supplied a disc for both versions.

From what I read: No, you can't upgrade from 32-bit straight to 64-bit. You basically have to start over with a "clean" install.

As for benifits... Security maybe? For sure, being able to utilize more than 4 GB of ram is a big plus.

That's all I know.

Edited by shiroikaze

Hey guys,

Just became the happy owner of a Sony Bravia KDL40-Z5500, and wall mounted it, and connected it to my computer! I want to get an HDMI cable though, but I need advice on this. Do I have to buy an expensive cable or will a cheap one give identical quality? I heard that it only matters for longer distances, and I got a gold plated tip one waiting to be used. Which one would be better?

As far as I know, the super high-end cables, the ones with insulation wound by Buddhist monks in a temple in Tibet for their exacting precision, sheathed in rubber from one specific grove of trees in an unspoiled valley in Brazil, with gold-tip connectors forged from recovered Nazi gold?

Total rip-offs. HDMI cables are pretty much all good.

Is that the only benefit? In that case, screw it. I have 4 gigs already.

Not exactly. In theory, when an application is optimized for 64-bit, it would perform better than a 32-bit version installed on a 32-bit OS.

In reality, not a lot of apps take advantage of 64-bit optimization. That isn't to say that they won't run on a 64-bit OS, but they won't run any better.

For now, if you already installed the 32-bit OS, just stick with it. I went with Windows 7 32-bit since I have three 1GB sticks... I'm amenable to adding more, but to fill empty slots, but I don't feel like replacing perfectly good sticks just to have more RAM. Unless you're using RAM-intensive apps like Photoshop, you'll be fine with what you have.

I do expect that to change, though. Most computers sold at retail have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed on them now, and Snow Leopard is likewise pushing 64-bit. I think developers are going to put more effort into optimizing for 64-bit, and I'm thinking Windows 7 will be the last 32-bit OS I run (of course, by the time another version of Windows comes out, I'd like to think I'll have built a new computer with more RAM from the get-go).

Shopping around for an LED, looking at a Samsung series 8 (200Hz, 46" or 55" size).. they look fantastic,

haven't checked out much of the others like Sharp (no) or Sony (alright!), anyone here got one of these babies, what brand you think

has the edge over the competition, why did you choose X brand etc, really appreciate someone in the know with some helpful insight! :)

When the whole HD thing took off i ignored it to a large extent, stayed away from spending big, but i'm finding it hard to resist now,

LED blows me away, and i'm dying to play some Macross on it. So sweet it's light and thin, hang it up anywhere, nice.

whats the go, some guy was going on about how the human eye can only pick up on 80Hz, and said it's more to do with cabling and contrast,

i stood during my work lunch hour one day watching Tranny 2 and i saw a great difference with the 200 over the 100Hz (the stuttering for example),

I do understand the 200 is double the frame per second of the 100Hz. LOL 3,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio wtf...

Been living with a loyal LG Flatron for the last 15 years, good old TV, it will be the future little one's TV, now dad's going to let loose with some Super TV hardware!

Most Impressive. Can it get much better? I'll wait another 10 years or more for holographic interface i guess?

:edit:

Just want to add something else interesting, it's got internal flash memory, with the Full Media@2.0, and the fact internet capable, the soft(firm?)ware will be upgradable over time, just like my PSP does etc, improving the longevity of the tv, totally hope this is possible..

The missusand I will be watching the Winter Olympics in style next year that's for sure! ... NRL season... drooolllz

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hey guys,

Just became the happy owner of a Sony Bravia KDL40-Z5500, and wall mounted it, and connected it to my computer! I want to get an HDMI cable though, but I need advice on this. Do I have to buy an expensive cable or will a cheap one give identical quality? I heard that it only matters for longer distances, and I got a gold plated tip one waiting to be used. Which one would be better?

For longer distances, quality cables do become important. If the display and the computer are located right next to each other though, then the cheap ones should be perfectly fine.

For longer distances, quality cables do become important. If the display and the computer are located right next to each other though, then the cheap ones should be perfectly fine.

Quality, as in won't fall apart on you with the tiniest touch? Or Quality: Wallet drain?

You could take a HDMI cable, snip out the wire between the connectors, and re-solder in your own wire, and you won't know the difference.

It's digital: The signal is getting through or it isn't.

Now if it's analog, then there is some truth to getting the better quality cable.

I spoke to alot more dealers today in regards to the LEDs, which aren't true LED's but LED backlit to LCD screens, the amount of dosh you would have to throw for a true LED screen wow! But yeah looking at keping with 100Hz (that means it will be a series7 instead of the 8) instead of the rip off 200Hz, and making sure i get some high end cabling! :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I spoke to alot more dealers today in regards to the LEDs, which aren't true LED's but LED backlit to LCD screens, the amount of dosh you would have to throw for a true LED screen wow! But yeah looking at keping with 100Hz (that means it will be a series7 instead of the 8) instead of the rip off 200Hz, and making sure i get some high end cabling! :)

don't believe the hype about the high end cabling, makes no difference if you're working with HDMI. It was only important with an analog signal when signal degradation was an issue, and that was only really an issue over long distances or certain frequencies. HDMI is a digital signal so it doesn't have that short coming.

Remember, when they tested Monster Ultra cables with "Magnetic Flux Tube for deeper, tighter bass" vs cables made from a couple old coat hangars soldered together---more people preferred the coat hangars, among those who could "tell the difference". And that was for ANALOG signals.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, anyone know a good place to get deals on phones without a contract price? I'm a WinMo user, so I don't have a lot of (decent) choices. I've been using the Omnia for a little less than a year... it'd be a great phone if WinMo supported capacitive touch screens. The resistive touch screen on it is so bad that I have to change the keyboard settings to type the number "1", and I rely on xt9 to know when I mean "a" instead of "s". I'm not sure if I can make it another year without a hardware keyboard. The HTC Touch Pro 2 is really tempting me, but I don't really want to spend $500 on it.

Do you mean unlocked phones or no-contract phones (i.e. pay as you go)?

Unlocked. I mean, I have a little more than a year left on my two-year contract with Verizon, so it'll be that long before I qualify for contract-pricing with them again. But I'd like to replace my phone now, if I can find a better deal that what Verizon's offering on the same phone (likely the HTC Touch Pro 2) without a contract. But since it's Verizon, and it's never as easy as swapping a SIM card with them, I'd still need to find a deal on the Verizon version.

Edited by mikeszekely

Newegg and TigerDirect might have some. Otherwise I would try:

http://mobilecityonline.com/

http://www.myworldphone.com/

http://cellhut.com/

Thanks for the suggestions, Az. It's funny that I use Newegg for all my computer needs, and I hadn't considered buying a phone from them.

After shopping around, though, the phone I want seems to be $600-$700 unlocked. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up for another year, but hey, maybe Windows Mobile 7 will be out by then...

Planning on some good Black Friday Sales for new lap top. This is my short list. Any ones on this list that I should avoid like the plague?

Sony's Vaio FW

Dell Studio XPS 16

Dell Inspiron 17

HP Pavilion dv8t or dv7t

HP Pavilion dv8t or dv7t

Some study I read on Engadget suggests that HP has the highest 3-year failure rate. Make of the study what you will. It does seem like most of the computers I service are HPs, but then again I always figured most people buy HP and Dell.

Can't go wrong with Lenovo?

Some study I read on Engadget suggests that HP has the highest 3-year failure rate. Make of the study what you will. It does seem like most of the computers I service are HPs, but then again I always figured most people buy HP and Dell.

Bummer. I always thought that HP's quality was comparable or better than Dells at least. I also think HPs look better than the rest.

Not too surprised about Asus and but I'm surprised by Toshiba...

@Azrael: Was that Santa hat always there? :?