The computer and electronics super geek thread

Dante74

There's a small catch. Don't go too cheap on the CPU. Make sure it's fast enough to feed all the data to the videocard (IE, a Core Duo 8400 will work nicely). A slow CPU will hamper your videocard pretty badly.

There's a small catch. Don't go too cheap on the CPU. Make sure it's fast enough to feed all the data to the videocard (IE, a Core Duo 8400 will work nicely). A slow CPU will hamper your videocard pretty badly.

Excellent point. A good card will render video just fine and be able to handle all the textures, but you don't want such a slow CPU that it takes 5 minutes to load all the stuff into memory for the video card to render.

myk, there is a questionnaire in the first post of this thread which might help you help us figure out a few things. I think the best thing to do is figure out how much you plan on spending. You have an AMD and an Intel CPU+motherboard combo which is great, but have you thought about RAM? Hard drives? Optical drives? Power supply? You said it's been 5 years since you built your last computer. Are your parts compatible with newer core components?

Long story short:

I accidently way overvolted my E8400 for a few secs. 1.75v instead of 1.175v. Now, it only ran that high from "booting up to as soon as I can start CPUID" so it was probably less than 30 secs and unstressed. Would such a short period have hurt it? Or is that much voltage really bad no matter how little time? I use a MUCH bigger cooler than necessary (Scythe Ninja Plus)

:edit: I'm starting a Prime95 test tonight and logging temps, will see how it does.

Long story short:

I accidently way overvolted my E8400 for a few secs. 1.75v instead of 1.175v. Now, it only ran that high from "booting up to as soon as I can start CPUID" so it was probably less than 30 secs and unstressed. Would such a short period have hurt it? Or is that much voltage really bad no matter how little time? I use a MUCH bigger cooler than necessary (Scythe Ninja Plus)

:edit: I'm starting a Prime95 test tonight and logging temps, will see how it does.

You're probably OK. The worst you may have done is shorten the life of your CPU by a few years, which may not be a big deal, if you frequently update your PC's components.

BTW, how is that Scythe anyways? I'm using a Zalman 9700, and while it's great, I ALWAYS wind up slicing my fingers to ribbons when I need to touch the damn thing...

myk, there is a questionnaire in the first post of this thread which might help you help us figure out a few things. I think the best thing to do is figure out how much you plan on spending. You have an AMD and an Intel CPU+motherboard combo which is great, but have you thought about RAM? Hard drives? Optical drives? Power supply? You said it's been 5 years since you built your last computer. Are your parts compatible with newer core components?

I've got 2G's of DDR2 RAM @533 mhz, a 600 watt power supply, my Lite-on optical drive is fairly new, I have a 74G Raptor HD and I think my 8800GT is still worthy, so I plan on moving that stuff over, unless you guys have any objections. I liked the combo's that I posted because I figured it was good for what it cost. I know I could spend alot more but I've always gotten away with a medium setup teamed with a good GPU so I thought I'd give this a try. At this moment, I think it's my mb and CPU that're holding back my GPU. I'll check out that questionnaire...

Oh one more thing-I know that stock fans/heatsinks usually suck, so any recommendations on what I should get? Aren't there usually fitment issues with non-stock fans/heatsinks?

Edited by myk

I've got 2G's of DDR2 RAM @533 mhz, a 600 watt power supply, my Lite-on optical drive is fairly new, I have a 74G Raptor HD and I think my 8800GT is still worthy, so I plan on moving that stuff over, unless you guys have any objections. I liked the combo's that I posted because I figured it was good for what it cost. I know I could spend alot more but I've always gotten away with a medium setup teamed with a good GPU so I thought I'd give this a try. At this moment, I think it's my mb and CPU that're holding back my GPU. I'll check out that questionnaire...

Oh one more thing-I know that stock fans/heatsinks usually suck, so any recommendations on what I should get? Aren't there usually fitment issues with non-stock fans/heatsinks?

There may be fit issues. You'll be best armed with having a look around your CPU socket, and noting anything that sticks up around it, and then, comparing it to what the coolers specs call out for (most websites will make note of this in the product information page). Usually, most coolers go straight up, and then spread out, rather than spread around at the base, so most of the time, you're ok. Just make sure where you buy your cooler from will take it back and give you your money back if it won't install in your computer.

Oh, and depending on which cooler you go with, you may need to actually remove your motherboard to actually mount the cooler.

Again, to stress, do your research first, then buy.

If you go with that AMD combo, you'll probably have to get some new RAM. DDR2 is relatively cheap so I won't worry about it much. Both of those combos have (or support) higher bus rates than your RAM so if you're worried about your MB and CPU slowing you down, why slow it down with slower RAM. Two gigs of DDR2-800 is only around $40-50.

what cpu you got now? Intel 3.0 right? thought about adding a second 8800GT or maybe a 9800GT? pick the cpu and mobo that is in your price range and the rest a piece at a time, if the mobo don't seem to be able support the new stuffs that are coming out, then there is not much point getting such mobo. video card prices change every month, i say hang on to your 8800 until the game you want to play come out then you might save some money on the better card and/or extra, but your will probably need a bigger psu at that time .... mike, 19 and azrael all got some good points.

I code on my pc so cpu is more important to me than video card, it's all depend on what the pc is use for.

Just google your intended cooler+mobo with the word "fit". Surely, someone's tried it and posted pics of how it fits. That's how I knew my mobo+cooler+case combo would work before I ordered parts. Another possible issue is RAM fitting under a cooler. A big cooler, combined with RAM that has large sinks, can be an issue.

Also, just letting you know about that AMD combo from TigerDirect. If you're planning on getting a new video card that is 10 inches or longer. You'll be covering three of your SATA ports there.

Two gigs of DDR2-800 is only around $40-50.

Actually, aren't DDR2 prices the same as DDR3 prices now?

what cpu you got now? Intel 3.0 right? thought about adding a second 8800GT or maybe a 9800GT?

I don't think it will help all that much really. Isn't the 8800GT already handicapped just by a little by the P4?

Edited by shiroikaze

I don't think it will help all that much really. Isn't the 8800GT already handicapped just by a little by the P4?

Not only that, but the scalability of performance of two cards (SLI) is not a sure thing in many games. Sounds like a waste to me when used on an older system.

Actually, aren't DDR2 prices the same as DDR3 prices now?

The cheapest DDR3 is only slightly more expensive. Like $5-10 more.

Not only that, but the scalability of performance of two cards (SLI) is not a sure thing in many games. Sounds like a waste to me when used on an older system.

True. The speed of the SLI-setup would be the speed of the slowest card. So yes, a 8800GT and 9800GT can be used in a SLI-setup, but you'll be limited by the performance of the 8800GT.

True. The speed of the SLI-setup would be the speed of the slowest card. So yes, a 8800GT and 9800GT can be used in a SLI-setup, but you'll be limited by the performance of the 8800GT.

a friend of mine is actually running a 295 + 9800, all evga, the 9800 only process the physx commands. sure beats my 5850 big time.

ati on the other hand require two identical card for crossfire, or get a scale down, and pretty much all ati cards got the power plugs at the end of the card which some nvidias' are on the top.

is it bad to plug in too many usb devices to my computer? I must admit i have a fair few, and i've had troubles with my usb adaptor in turning on and off and BSOD issues (power state failure), and random things turning on and off. I have a surge protector and and a 1000w power supply.

is it bad to plug in too many usb devices to my computer? I must admit i have a fair few, and i've had troubles with my usb adaptor in turning on and off and BSOD issues (power state failure), and random things turning on and off. I have a surge protector and and a 1000w power supply.

If you are using an USB hub without power, yeah.

doesn't it have a limit for each channel?

USB is suppose to provide 5V (±5%) with about 500 mA (USB 2.0, ~4V with 900 mA for USB 3.0) per port. So if he's overloading the port or hub, yeah, there would be a problem.

Well, don't have any USB hubs yet, I have one Logitech one that is powered. I might use that.

Finally my room is starting to take shape. I just got to get 1 beanbag and a Logitech G27 Steering wheel, give things a good clean and I'm ready to go.

Just a few photos of what I'm planning to do:

post-466-1263917741_thumb.jpgpost-466-1263917819_thumb.jpgpost-466-1263917945_thumb.jpgpost-466-1263917992_thumb.jpg

For those asides from me awaiting the new Alien vs. Predator:

Recommended specs:

Windows 7/ XP/Vista

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 or equivalent processor

2 GB System RAM

DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI HD2900 PRO or better)

Recommended specs:

Windows 7/ XP/Vista

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 or equivalent processor

2 GB System RAM

DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI HD2900 PRO or better)

I can play that maxxed out no problem. It's rather surprising how long my current setup has lasted me.

Core 2 Duo 8400

Win XP

2Gb RAM

Radeon 4870 1 GB

Aside from the videocard, which I updated a little over a year ago for Fallout 3, I've had the current setup since February '07. Not bad for 2 years. It seems that the game requirements has plateaued somewhat.

I might get a LGA 775 Quad core, 2 more Gigs of RAM, and go to 7 64 bit within the next 2-3 months, if I find some good deals.

Meh. My box can do it without breaking a sweat.

I can play that maxxed out no problem. It's rather surprising how long my current setup has lasted me.

Core 2 Duo 8400

Win XP

2Gb RAM

Radeon 4870 1 GB

Aside from the videocard, which I updated a little over a year ago for Fallout 3, I've had the current setup since February '07. Not bad for 2 years. It seems that the game requirements has plateaued somewhat.

I might get a LGA 775 Quad core, 2 more Gigs of RAM, and go to 7 64 bit within the next 2-3 months, if I find some good deals.

With a RAM upgrade alone, it could probably last you another 2 more years.

With a RAM upgrade alone, it could probably last you another 2 more years.

True, but in order for me to actually use the ram properly, I'd need to get a 64 bit OS. Remember, Windows XP 32 bit edition (and all other 32 bit OS) can only see up to 3 GB of RAM.

Considering getting a laptop for the following uses: General Office Productivity stuff (office, etc.), Running Apache/MySQL for development (not permanent hosting), dilly-dallying (macross world forums), and casual gaming... doesn't have to run Crysis at OMG1000FPS - mostly for CounterStrike Source, some early 2000's FPS like Far Cry I, anything HL2 related, EVE Online, and FFXI.

I was playing around with Dell customization, and I seem to like the XPS-16, any thoughts on this?

XPS 1640, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/2M L2Cache)

4GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz 2 Dimm forXPS 1640

ATI Mobility RADEON M96XT - 1GB

250GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home

I heard that cooling is an issue with Dell laptops, but I have a Belkin cooling pad, which has supposedly achieved a -5 deg C reduction in internal temperature (annecdotal). Another point is that I'm not traveling with this machine, the most it'll ever commute is from the home office to the living room :) so size and battery are not super-important considerations.

I'm getting quoted USD 1050 for this setup.... it kinda sounds like a good deal, but I've been out of the loop for a while. So what do you guys think, yay or nay?

Considering getting a laptop for the following uses: General Office Productivity stuff (office, etc.), Running Apache/MySQL for development (not permanent hosting), dilly-dallying (macross world forums), and casual gaming... doesn't have to run Crysis at OMG1000FPS - mostly for CounterStrike Source, some early 2000's FPS like Far Cry I, anything HL2 related, EVE Online, and FFXI.

I was playing around with Dell customization, and I seem to like the XPS-16, any thoughts on this?

XPS 1640, Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800MHz FSB/2M L2Cache)

4GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz 2 Dimm forXPS 1640

ATI Mobility RADEON M96XT - 1GB

250GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Windows 7 Home

I heard that cooling is an issue with Dell laptops, but I have a Belkin cooling pad, which has supposedly achieved a -5 deg C reduction in internal temperature (annecdotal). Another point is that I'm not traveling with this machine, the most it'll ever commute is from the home office to the living room :) so size and battery are not super-important considerations.

I'm getting quoted USD 1050 for this setup.... it kinda sounds like a good deal, but I've been out of the loop for a while. So what do you guys think, yay or nay?

That should be enough to clear your gaming needs. The HD4670 (the actual name for the M96XT) actually can run Crysis fairly well (equal or better compared with a GeForce 9600) at medium detail.

I was leaning heavily towards the AMD setup, but I wanted to run multiple GPU's and I don't want to buy 2 new video cards to do so. I'll hang on to my 8800 and team that up with a twin on an Intel board, I guess.

Or mayble I'll just get AvP on a console and say screw it, lol...

I was leaning heavily towards the AMD setup, but I wanted to run multiple GPU's and I don't want to buy 2 new video cards to do so. I'll hang on to my 8800 and team that up with a twin on an Intel board, I guess.

Need I remind you, those are "recommended" specs. You don't have to follow them. ;) If you do still want to think about AMD, shiroikaze posted a really good deal on an Athlon II X3 deal a while back and that CPU is a decent chip to use. It might be something worth taking another look at.

Need I remind you, those are "recommended" specs. You don't have to follow them. ;) If you do still want to think about AMD, shiroikaze posted a really good deal on an Athlon II X3 deal a while back and that CPU is a decent chip to use. It might be something worth taking another look at.

Which, unfortunately, the sale ended today. There'll be another sale on something similar or better next week and onward .

Which, unfortunately, the sale ended today. There'll be another sale on something similar or better next week and onward .

That's what I'm counting on. If the deal is good enough maybe I won't mind having to buy 2 ATI cards.

Wait a minute. There are AMD boards that can SLI instead of Crossfire, right?

Edited by myk

True, but in order for me to actually use the ram properly, I'd need to get a 64 bit OS. Remember, Windows XP 32 bit edition (and all other 32 bit OS) can only see up to 3 GB of RAM.

32-bit consumer Windows, you mean.

I read that it's possible to go beyond 4GB for 32-bit Vista if you copy some files from Windows 2008. (Don't know, never try.)

32-bit OS using more than 4 GB is no big deal. Intel introduced the PAE supporting 36-bit physical memory addressing (that's 64 GB) in 1995!

That's what I'm counting on. If the deal is good enough maybe I won't mind having to buy 2 ATI cards.

Wait a minute. There are AMD boards that can SLI instead of Crossfire, right?

Yes, though I don't know about the quality of those motherboards.

And apparently three more deals have appeared.

Fry's Brick & Mortar Combo List

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black & Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P $80

AMD Phenom II X4 965 + BioStar TA790GX AM3+ $180

Intel Core i3 540 + MSI H55-E33 $179.99

I'm probably going to jump on that 965 combo and just sell off the motherboard for a different one.

Edited by shiroikaze

32-bit consumer Windows, you mean.

I read that it's possible to go beyond 4GB for 32-bit Vista if you copy some files from Windows 2008. (Don't know, never try.)

32-bit OS using more than 4 GB is no big deal. Intel introduced the PAE supporting 36-bit physical memory addressing (that's 64 GB) in 1995!

You don't really need to copy any files from Windows 2008. You just need to enable PAE, DEP mode, and if necessary, screw with the memory handler in the BIOS. But you'll probably end up making things unstable. It's easier to just install a 64-bit version.

I'm probably going to jump on that 965 combo and just sell off the motherboard for a different one.

And I'll say, those are some pretty good deals.