The computer and electronics super geek thread

Dante74

Um, is it normal for my graphics card to be so hot that it burns my fingers when I touch it? The only game I've been playing lately with it is World at War and the Zombie missions. Last time it was COOKING. I run 2 GTX 295s in SLi Mode. Should I run a probe to see what temps its working at? Cause I have not overclocked ANYTHING, CPU, GPU, RAM, whatever. All is stock. And all the fans are working.

If you see stuttering, or solid red/blue/green lines that appear out of nowhere , improper rendering of graphics in your games, then yes your video card is overheating and you should probably stop playing for a while.

If you see stuttering, or solid red/blue/green lines that appear out of nowhere , improper rendering of graphics in your games, then yes your video card is overheating and you should probably stop playing for a while.

Yeah, actually, my game froze and it affected everyone else LANing, cause I was the host. I actually got a superficial burn, the skin is actually glistening. So surprised. Cause I thought that for non-graphic intensive games, the more powerful your graphics card is, the more you can push it, but if you choose to game at sub par, your graphics card doesn't have to work that hard. I didn't max it out, yet it was burning.

Yeah, actually, my game froze and it affected everyone else LANing, cause I was the host. I actually got a superficial burn, the skin is actually glistening. So surprised. Cause I thought that for non-graphic intensive games, the more powerful your graphics card is, the more you can push it, but if you choose to game at sub par, your graphics card doesn't have to work that hard. I didn't max it out, yet it was burning.

No, it's not that, most video cards are either on a low power state (on your desktop, for example), or are in a full-power state (playing games). It's this stepping up that causes the majority of the heat to be generated. You can generate a bit more heat by getting your card to work harder, however.

3 days ago, I installed vista x64 service pack 2 through windows update.

Since then, my computer has been locking up programs (dvdfab, handbrake, dvdshrink, explorer.exe) that ran just fine last week and I've had to power off the computer and restart.

I'm uninstalling this service pack until there's a new update to fix the program lock ups.

Just thought I would post this info., so somebody else can avoid this situation.

just wondering what mb are you using, my buddy have all EVGA gtsd295 and x58 mb with i975, and the mb would not support more than 4 gpus. I just wonder if there is anything else out there.

just wondering what mb are you using, my buddy have all EVGA gtsd295 and x58 mb with i975, and the mb would not support more than 4 gpus. I just wonder if there is anything else out there.

Using an ASUS Rampage II Extreme motherboard. I think it supports the 1366 chipsets.

I had it in QUAD SLi, but the third slot in basically useless, no way you can fit anything in there.

Edited by kensei

I'm going to be updating to windows 7 within the next few months, and I was wondering if I would have any problems (application/game compatability) with going with the 64 bit version as opposed to the 32 bit version. Basically I want to be able to use more than 2 gigs of RAM.

I've been buying and installing and playing a lot of games lately, and only had a problem with one. What games are you most concerned with?

Considering that I play lots of older games (some as far back as 1990, but some in the 95-98 windows era), basically, all of them. But, I need to know if Steam and the games on it will work perfectly, and Fallout 1-3.

If worse comes to worse, I might make my computer a dual boot; one for XP and one for 7.

Considering that I play lots of older games (some as far back as 1990, but some in the 95-98 windows era), basically, all of them. But, I need to know if Steam and the games on it will work perfectly, and Fallout 1-3.

If worse comes to worse, I might make my computer a dual boot; one for XP and one for 7.

One of the oldest games I've ever tried is Crazy Taxi, but remember that Professional Edition of the Win7 OS contains a beta of the XP Emulation mode. Perhaps your games can run under this.

I'm installing Win7 now. Can't wait till it finishes, and then wait for the Win7 upgrade for my new notebook in the mail!

Edited by kensei

One of the oldest games I've ever tried is Crazy Taxi, but remember that Professional Edition of the Win7 OS contains a beta of the XP Emulation mode. Perhaps your games can run under this.

I'm installing Win7 now. Can't wait till it finishes, and then wait for the Win7 upgrade for my new notebook in the mail!

My understanding is that the emulation mode isn't a true emulation as some functions are left out. Apparently, It's more meant for getting the odd application that absolutely doesn't work with 7 to work on the PC, without resorting to a dual boot system.

I'm going to be updating to windows 7 within the next few months, and I was wondering if I would have any problems (application/game compatability) with going with the 64 bit version as opposed to the 32 bit version. Basically I want to be able to use more than 2 gigs of RAM.

1990s stuff might have problems. If we're talking about Windows 95/98 stuff, yeah, it might have problems. But that's due to OS issues. Windows 7 is quite a leap in architecture compared to 95/98. Chances are that it probably won't work due to OS software and 32-bit/64-bit issues.

1990s stuff might have problems. If we're talking about Windows 95/98 stuff, yeah, it might have problems. But that's due to OS issues. Windows 7 is quite a leap in architecture compared to 95/98. Chances are that it probably won't work due to OS software and 32-bit/64-bit issues.

Guess I won't know for sure until I make the leap. I might go with a dual boot system after all, depending on how things go. I know Dosbox will probably work, so thus the dos games I like to play (Wing Commander Privateer, Xcom) should still work.

Guess I won't know for sure until I make the leap. I might go with a dual boot system after all, depending on how things go. I know Dosbox will probably work, so thus the dos games I like to play (Wing Commander Privateer, Xcom) should still work.

I've had an old DOS game Incursion work on Windows 7. I'll see if it still does after I've upgraded.

If you don't want to dual-boot, you may want to consider using a virtual machine.

VirtualBox 3.0.x does support Direct3D 8/9 and OpenGL 2.0. The games you want to run feel old enough that running them on VirtualBox might be applicable. VMWare does have support for 3D acceleration. (Additional link)

v20 firmware for N97 rocks. They fixed the worst of the bugs and finally got the iSync plugin going today. Love it so much more than my work iPhone 3G.

3 days ago, I installed vista x64 service pack 2 through windows update.

Since then, my computer has been locking up programs (dvdfab, handbrake, dvdshrink, explorer.exe) that ran just fine last week and I've had to power off the computer and restart.

I'm uninstalling this service pack until there's a new update to fix the program lock ups.

Just thought I would post this info., so somebody else can avoid this situation.

Ok same thing happened to me i was fine before it now all kinds of strange things are going on with my laptop.

Ok same thing happened to me i was fine before it now all kinds of strange things are going on with my laptop.

Haven't you noticed every time Microsoft comes out with new product, the old version start to have problems?

Did a clean install of ultimate 64 win 7 on my asus g51vx and I put my drives into a RAID, I now get 50% more battery life. Not to mention how quickly it boots now.

That is actually impressive.

I do like Windows 7 so far, far as stability goes, it seems to be more stable than Vista.

That is actually impressive.

I do like Windows 7 so far, far as stability goes, it seems to be more stable than Vista.

I never had a problem with vista being not stable, so I can't speak on that but it boots up a hell of a lot faster both from a cold boot and from waking up. Performance wise it's noticeably faster and lots of things are just easier and more logical.

Stupid question about SATA drives.

While I am waiting to get the funds together for a new PC I have decided to get a new HD for my computer since I am tired of having to remove items such as MP3 and Video Files all the time when I want to add some new music or download.

My Question is my MB has 2 SATA 1.5 gb connectors both being use with a 300 GD and 200 GB so I was looking into upgrading the 200 to a 500 GB or eve a 1TB drive which are 3.0gb.

Being the computer caveman that I am I do not if I can use a 3.0gb drive on a 1.5 connector.

Any information and/or recommendations on this would be great.

Thanks,

Mond

Stupid question about SATA drives.

Being the computer caveman that I am I do not if I can use a 3.0gb drive on a 1.5 connector.

Any information and/or recommendations on this would be great.

Yes, you can use SATA 3.0Gb/s drives on your SATA 1.5 Gb/s controller. Unfortunately, you will not be able to achieve the 3.0 Gb/s speeds using a motherboard that only supports 1.5Gb/s speeds. So you can get any one of those drives, just don't expect transfer rates to be sparkling unless you upgrade.

I am having nothing but trouble with Snow Leopard.

Airport card randomly shuts off. Quicktime crashes constantly. DVD player won't launch half the time. 10.6 is so full of bugs it's absurd.

If you use Time Machine, you can downgrade back to Leopard: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...91&tstart=0

If you use Time Machine, you can downgrade back to Leopard: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...91&tstart=0

I never did time machine. I should have. I'm even have some FCS issues. Not good when that's how I make my living. There's an update of 10.6.2 on the horizon. Allegedly, it will fix many of the bugs. Fingers are crossed.

I am having nothing but trouble with Snow Leopard.

Airport card randomly shuts off. Quicktime crashes constantly. DVD player won't launch half the time. 10.6 is so full of bugs it's absurd.

Crazy. How old is your Mac? I have one of the oldest MacBooks (one with a "Yonah" Core Duo) supported by Snow Leopard, and I haven't had any trouble with it. By it, I mean the Snow Leopard upgrade... the hardware itself has been back to the Apple store on three occasions.

So Mac OS is buggy and problematic, while the new Windows "just works". What crazy times we live in...

Airport card randomly shuts off.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried deleting com.apple.airport.preferences.plist, NetworkInterfaces.plist, and preferences.plist form /<Your Main HardDrive>/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

Quicktime crashes constantly.

By chance do you have a lot of 3rd-party codecs installed?

DVD player won't launch half the time. 10.6 is so full of bugs it's absurd.

Is this a desktop system or a laptop?

Okay I have finally had it with my old PC. My Lovely wife it letting me use our Best Buy charge to pick up a new computer tonight so I have been doing a little research and I think I have narrowed it down to two.

So I need a little feedback on what I am looking at.

I am looking at the Asus - Essentio Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Model: CG5270-BP004

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Essenti...p;skuId=9541891

and a Gateway - Desktop with Intel® Pentium® Processor Model: DX4822-01

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Gateway+-+Desk...p;skuId=9536415

Let me know you opinions and recommendations.

Thanks,

Mond

Okay I have finally had it with my old PC. My Lovely wife it letting me use our Best Buy charge to pick up a new computer tonight so I have been doing a little research and I think I have narrowed it down to two.

So I need a little feedback on what I am looking at.

In order to make things easier when making recommendations for a new system, in the future, please include answers to these questions if you want a recommendation. Feel free to add additional details where applicable.

Desktops and Servers

1) What is the intended usage of this system? (ex. Internet/Email/Office/Pictures/Movies/Gaming/Server/CAD/Media Center/etc.)

2) What operating system will you use? (ex. Windows/Mac OS/Linux/etc.)

3) How much are you planning to spend or what is your intended budget for this system?

4) Do you intend to buy a pre-built or a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) system?

Now, you've answered #4, and #2 won't be hard to figure, but #1 and #3 still need some details.