What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

I finally finished Tora Dora last night, and it was amazing. i loved it! the first half of the series was utterly hilarious, and then it turned on its heels for a very powerful and emotional second half. i loved how the characters developed and interacted with each other throughout the series. and man, that christmas episode hit me really hard! :)

Minorin.....never forget her sacrifice. :(

of course, i will never forget. :( that's why this series really hit me hard. however it turned out, someone was gonna get hurt big time.

if it ended up as ryuujixminorin, we will look back to the christmas episode and remember how much taiga sacrificed. i swear, that scene where taiga chased ryuuji while crying sent shivers up my spine. pretty much the same way when minorin finally collapsed in the arms of ami after sending ryuuji and taiga off.

Edited by dreamweaver13

I didn't really feel much for taiga considering she was a too cliched tsundere character that will eventually get the guy.

I wished it was Minorin

. :(

That said the cat-fights in this show were pretty violent weren't they? Classroom furniture were even involved in some. 0.o

That said the cat-fights in this show were pretty violent weren't they? Classroom furniture were even involved in some. 0.o

Agreed! they were really brawls. no cutesy hair tugs and slaps for these girls.

I felt for both of them. Which is why i'm equally happy that taiga got her wish, and sad that minorin didn't.

which i guess is why i thoroughly enjoyed the series. up to the end, all the 5 main characters felt very real, and they all mattered to me. yes, even the God of Unrequited Love. LOL.

Edited by dreamweaver13

ToroDora is on my to watch list, looks really tempting from what you two wrote.

Somehow, till recently, I under the impression it was like School Days. Not a fan of yandere characters, so left it on hold.

Edited by Bri

Watched Cobra The Animation: Time Drive lately: I have been rather disappointed by The Psychogun last year, and this one is not really better. As a general rule, I don't really like prequel-like stories which dig into major characters' past: it's often disappointing because it gives a picture of the character which is not in accordance with what I expected and which hurts the myth more than it dolls it up

A very egocentric point of view, I know... :p

It was nice to see Cobra again nonetheless: I hope the incoming TV series will be really good

Wasn't the space episode a homage to classic sci fi shows including macross and space battleship yamato rather than TTGL? ^_^

That's not what I'm saying...it was made before TTGL after all...

I'm saying the battleship looks almost exactly like ttgl's including the face on the front and the enemy mecha looks almost identical to Viral's 'bot. I personally haven't seen those designs in anything else...It's neat to see a parody's design end up in a..well slightly less parody-ish thing in the future, it normally goes the other way.

ToroDora is on my to watch list, looks really tempting from what you two wrote.

Somehow, till recently, I under the impression it was like School Days. Not a fan of yandere characters, so left it on hold.

yup i highly recommended TD. :) none of the characters are yandere, so at least you won't get annoyed there. they have their issues, though. realistic ones, imo. :)

haven't seen School days, though, so i can't compare.

I'm watching Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai

It's awesome.

It's got a little FLCL wtf, TTGL mecha with chest-faces(in fact the giant mecha episode has TONS of TTGL designs including the cathedral Terra ship and a Chick dressed up like Simon from the opening scene...and it's from 2002), and 2001: A Space Odyssey mixed in (Complete with monoliths and star babies) and just-similar-enough-to-not-get-sued Star Wars Imperial march. And one chick is a dead ringer for Mari in Eva 2.0.

and a Rubber sword that makes your boobs expand until they explode.

Definately a fun series, especilaly the theme song which is a not too subtle nod to "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'. Wait until you ghet to the "Hollywood" episode :)

Don't want to spoil the end for you, but once you get there, my only gripe with the series was that I thought

Arumi should have been the one who died in the accident. It would have made Satoshi's unwillingness to return more plausable than Arumi's grandfather dying.

. Definately an uncommonly pulled punch for Gainax, but still enjoyable none the less.

Watching 5cm/sec . I loved Voices of a Distant star so thought I'd give this a whirl, despite the lack of scifi elements. Though it seems that a lot of Makoto Shinkai's work deal with the common themes of distance and loss.

watching - viper's creed. good one.

I liked it a lot. Lots of action, though it's somewhat repetitive for the first few episodes. Plot got off to a slower start than you would expect, considering how quickly it ends. Would've like this one to have been 24 eps.

Watching 5cm/sec . I loved Voices of a Distant star so thought I'd give this a whirl, despite the lack of scifi elements. Though it seems that a lot of Makoto Shinkai's work deal with the common themes of distance and loss.

And trains. :lol:

Reading the Nausicäa of the Valley of the Wind manga for the 5th time. It really is just so much better than the film version (even if the film version is pretty good in its own right).

I'm sometimes amazed that the guy who brought us the films "My Neighbour Totoro" & Kiki's Delivery Service" can have created a comic that is so much more serious than these films.

For those of you who had ever watched the film version of Nausicäa and wondered what would happen if these giant insects ever really started to attack humans, you get your answer in the manga.

And trains. :lol:

Yes indeed :p forgot that one lol, though I have not seen The Place Promised In Our Early Days yet.

I just got done with part 3. Takaki's life in the last part as a heartless cubicle dweller (and some other aspects of parts 1 & 2) seem to be a bizarre animu version of my own late teens and early twenties.... it struck a chord and I shed a single manly panda tear of sadness. I don't quite get what it is that drives him to act the way he does though, perhaps such an emotional piece will inevitably contain chunks lost in translation.

Haruhi S2 and Eden of the East (Frostii subs stuck at episode 9). New Fullmetal is collecting dust, as is Xam'd. I'll get to them eventually. I'm eying up LotGH, but its alot to get into.

Yes indeed :p forgot that one lol, though I have not seen The Place Promised In Our Early Days yet.

I just got done with part 3. Takaki's life in the last part as a heartless cubicle dweller (and some other aspects of parts 1 & 2) seem to be a bizarre animu version of my own late teens and early twenties.... it struck a chord and I shed a single manly panda tear of sadness. I don't quite get what it is that drives him to act the way he does though, perhaps such an emotional piece will inevitably contain chunks lost in translation.

It happens to most of us i suppose. How passionate and spirited we are during our youth only to lose it considerably during our adulthood. Its pretty sad. :(

Haruhi S2 and Eden of the East (Frostii subs stuck at episode 9). New Fullmetal is collecting dust, as is Xam'd. I'll get to them eventually. I'm eying up LotGH, but its alot to get into.

You know, I've been meaning to finish LotGH for about 5 years or so now...someday :) Left off around ep 27 or 28.

Canaan....looks pretty hi budget. 1s ep and there's some impressive gunplay. Will be following this.

And finally revealed that Canaan is a girl...was kinda unsure from all the promo materials. :lol:

The Snakes girl kinda looks and feels like Revy from Black Lagoon.

Canaan....looks pretty hi budget. 1s ep and there's some impressive gunplay. Will be following this.

And finally revealed that Canaan is a girl...was kinda unsure from all the promo materials. :lol:

The Snakes girl kinda looks and feels like Revy from Black Lagoon.

Cannaan certianly looks like one of the few high quality productions of the summer. Hope it delivers, have the first episode but havent gotten round to watch it.

As for the summer. Haruhi S2 goes without saying, Basquash and Tears of Tiera for the two cours series.

New Spice and Wolf II, and Tokoyo Magnitude. Maybe one of the moe shows will deveop but they all look rather weak.

Summer Season

Finished Ef - A Tale of Memories yesterday: simply one of the greatest shows I've seen so far

Currently downloading its sequel, Ef - A Tale of Melodies

So what's on people's minds for the new summer set of shows?

I'm still waiting on RoboCrosser to materialize, which was supposed to be part of the Spring lineup.

I watches Clannad and Afterstory. Those last like 5 episodes were hard to watch, many a girly tear ended up being shed.

I noticed something kind of interesting about the show: Tomoya and Nagisa never have any intimate-type moments on screen other than holding hands, one hug, and lying together in their PJs during her flashback sceen. Aside from the fact that she ends up yelling it at her dad, you'd think it was immaculate conception.

They went a bit overboard in keeping Clannad family friendly. All previous Visual Key projects were adult content, maybe they had something to prove. Anyway, if it wasn't for the last OVA episode there wouldnt even even have been a kiss in the anime.

That's what some people are saying but i thought i remembered Tomoya kissing Nagisa on a overhead pedestrian bridge or maybe i'm just remmebering nonsense.

About family friendliness, its probably Kyoani's fault since they don't exactly do ecchi or any fanservice. (lol K-on's shimabowl)

Edited by wolfx

My whole Ghost In The Shell collection. And after that, I want to keep watching S-E-R-I-O-U-S, deep and complex anime like GITS. Any suggestions people ?

There is plenty out there:

Since you like GITS: other works by Mamoru Oshii like Patlabor, Blood and Jin-roh. Personally I like his Urusei Yatsura work best, but that is serious and silly.

Anything by Makato Shinkai, like 5 cm per second and Voices of a distant star

To name a few that come to mind: Monster, Black Lagoon, Rahxephon, Appleseed, Serial Experiments Lain, Infinite Ryvius, Saikano, Mushi-shi