What Current Anime Series Are You Watching? v2.0

Duke Togo

NHK is awesome too.

It's about the most awesome tragicomedy thing I've seen (I'm watching the anime, apperently there are some fairly substantial differences, if not in story in character portrayal, from the novel and manga). That Offline Gathering 'arc' was some bit of a tearjerker.

Yes, apparently there is :): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_x_Juliet ... though loosely (very loosely) based, been wanting to watch it myself.

I am personally waiting for an animu version of Hamlet with lots of mecha, nekkomaidos, moe, and a tsundere Ophelia.

I've been thinking the same thing, come on Gonzo, jump on it! I'm really liking their "interpretations" of the classics, are there any others out now aside from Samurai 7, Count of Monte Cristo, & Romeo x Juliet? One interesting thing I've noticed, in a lot of shots, Romeo & Juliet bear a striking resemblance to the DYRL designs of Hikaru & Misa, so much so that I had to check to make sure Mikimoto wasn't on the character design staff.

So far behind... just catching up on Macross F and Gundam 00 (have only watched S1, not sure I want to get into S2) and re-watching Onegai Sensei.

Enjoying being able to watch a few episodes of MF at a time, on my pace, but going to catch up to the fansubbers soon. :-)

Lined up:

Hikaru No Go

Strike Witches

Bakuretsu Tenshi (too busy to catch it a while back)

Reading:

Battle Royale novel.

Contemplating re-visiting a load of '80s and early '90s when my CW contract ends (if I don't get over to Singapore)

So that'd be:

some Yamato

Urusei Yatsura

fight iczer-one

and more recent titles too..

anyone have any 'must-sees of the last five years or so? Work really got me down to only catching a couple of series a year.

I think Shikabane Hime Aka and Kuro by Gainax are pretty good. It may look like a stereotypical "shinigami" anime but I think the story is really well done so far.

and then there's the two Tower of Druaga seasons, Kara no Kyoukai, Utawarerumono, and Toaru no Majutsu Index. Those are the ones I can think of at the top of my mind. I think these titles might be worth your time.

Edited by shiroikaze

I think Shikabane Hime Aka and Kuro by Gainax are pretty good. It may look like a stereotypical "shinigami" anime but I think the story is really well done so far.

and then there's the two Tower of Druaga seasons, Kara no Kyoukai, Utawarerumono, and Toaru no Majutsu Index. Those are the ones I can think of at the top of my mind. I think these titles might be worth your time.

I'm waiting on Shikabane Hime until it's got a home release. Love Gainax, love the designs, and enjoyed the first 2 episodes I watched streaming, but it's definately something I'd rather watch on my television.

Several solutions to your problem :

- change of girl friend

- don't make her watch animes: it's violent and perverted, she'll think you are too and will leave you

- explain to her that culture deserves efforts (good luck to make a girl get this...)

- tell her that 50% of the interest of animes resides in the original voice acting (girls being very sensitive to sounds/voices/musics, this may work, except if she listens to sh!tty music which is probably the case because girls usually have bad taste: see right above...)

- bring her to bed instead of watching animes with her, you stupid!

Just finished Clannad. I was sort of expecting a kind of Kanon. It's somewhat similar but different, more subtle, more humor and warmer. The animation, atmosphere, directing and voice acting is top of the line. Yes, the plot is a standard crying game, but who cares, it still manages to enchant.

The bonus alternate ending with Tomoyo was sweet directing, with a few color changes and expressions, it all went from bright and hopefull to dark, grim and desperate.

First time the male lead actually had an easier time then me to pick a favourite. They are all so damn cute and lovable characters. Although Nagisa's parents absolutly steal the show.

Amazing to see that all the voice actors who did the major Kyoani series ended up in Frontier. I didn't realise before that Frontier had an absolute all-star seiyuu cast.

Just finished Clannad. I was sort of expecting a kind of Kanon. It's somewhat similar but different, more subtle, more humor and warmer. The animation, atmosphere, directing and voice acting is top of the line. Yes, the plot is a standard crying game, but who cares, it still manages to enchant.

The bonus alternate ending with Tomoyo was sweet directing, with a few color changes and expressions, it all went from bright and hopefull to dark, grim and desperate.

First time the male lead actually had an easier time then me to pick a favourite. They are all so damn cute and lovable characters. Although Nagisa's parents absolutly steal the show.

Amazing to see that all the voice actors who did the major Kyoani series ended up in Frontier. I didn't realise before that Frontier had an absolute all-star seiyuu cast.

You should watch the sequel, "After Story". It pretty much finishes up the latter half of the game.

Also, with Tomoyo's story, it's alot more grim than it shows it to be...

Edited by shiroikaze

Several solutions to your problem :

- change of girl friend

- don't make her watch animes: it's violent and perverted, she'll think you are too and will leave you

- explain to her that culture deserves efforts (good luck to make a girl get this...)

- tell her that 50% of the interest of animes resides in the original voice acting (girls being very sensitive to sounds/voices/musics, this may work, except if she listens to sh!tty music which is probably the case because girls usually have bad taste: see right above...)

- bring her to bed instead of watching animes with her, you stupid!

All of the above suggestiosn work, never bend to the will of a loved one by sitting through a dub, it's your way or the highway. And really, 10 out of 10 girlfriends prefer for you to actualy sleep with them than watch anime late at night, crazy girls!

You should watch the sequel, "After Story". It pretty much finishes up the latter half of the game.

Also, with Tomoyo's story, it's alot more grim than it shows it to be...

Made me cry manly tears. :(

I've started on AS, can't really wait after seeing the first series. As for finding the first series, it's licensed so very few are still uploading it. I just bought the ADV boxes, they are dirt cheap atm.

Kind of tempted to splash out on the Japanese DVD LE versions, anyone know if a Blu-ray release is likely anytime soon?

just watched all of My Otome in th last few days. i didnt mind My Hime (Though the end sucked) but otome was great! i love a good magic armour type show, and this had that. cool characters, cool powers and a decent ending! Nott he best anime ever by any means, and a bit slow at times, but overall i dug it :)

Now Ill have to import My Otome Zwei...

just watched all of My Otome in th last few days. i didnt mind My Hime (Though the end sucked) but otome was great! i love a good magic armour type show, and this had that. cool characters, cool powers and a decent ending! Nott he best anime ever by any means, and a bit slow at times, but overall i dug it :)

Zwei....was sadly disappointing that it was a rushed and contrived story arc which culminates into Otomes saving the world from a global catastrophe.

Sifr was kind of disappointing that it sort of promises to reveal the Otomes' pasts but in fact it does nothing but raise more questions.....

I'm assuming that since My Otome and My Hime are animes with a huge female cast...you might wanna try Claymore? Its shounen-like but its quite awesome although a bit on the violent side.

Zwei....was sadly disappointing that it was a rushed and contrived story arc which culminates into Otomes saving the world from a global catastrophe.

Sifr was kind of disappointing that it sort of promises to reveal the Otomes' pasts but in fact it does nothing but raise more questions.....

Plus its been months since episode 3. <_< And supposedly there is still an episode 4. :rolleyes:

Watched Otome myself back in 2007. ^_^

Anyways...any news yet on the third installment of Black Lagoon? :huh:

Edited by grss1982

Blue Gender was definately a great series, still not quite up to Votoms standards, but not anywhere near as weak as Gasaraki. And the ending was just shy of heavy handed, what more can you ask? :)

I'm assuming that since My Otome and My Hime are animes with a huge female cast...you might wanna try Claymore? Its shounen-like but its quite awesome although a bit on the violent side.

i LOVED Claymore. :) the anime was just too short.

Watched Otome myself back in 2007. ^_^

Actually, i grabbed my Hime because it looked as close to a superhero show as i could get in anime. I was at a con, saw the box...i dunno it appealed. Of course its not really a superhero show at all, but thats ok.

My otome has magic armour and transform sequences. I LOVE magic armour and transform sequences. HUGE Saint Seiya fan (though it didnt have any transforms really) used to love the Sailor Moon tranforms, loved it in Guyver and Tekkaman. So thats why I got Otome. I ended up liking it more than i thought i would actually, but it was initially because of the magic armour stuff.

claymore doesnt grab me. I read the Wiki plot and it sounds sorta like Berserk with chicks.

Finished Clannad After Story as well now.

Well what to say...it's brilliant. Yes, it's a bit cliched at times... and yes, it is a tear jerker ... and well, you know, it's what Kyoani's best at.

The second half of the show, the gloves are off and Tomoyo dragging himself to hell is impressive. This show knows how to play on the fears of people my age.

Episode 18 is well...emotional

Some fun details:

Akiko's (Kanon) Jam meets Sanae's bread

Sanae's seiyuu: Kikoku Inoue got to do her I'm 17 routine.

Akio doing a Gurren Lagan, Kamina homage. This hot blooded maniac deserves his own mecha show!

Finished .Hack//Liminality yesterday: I thought it was rather interesting but very slow and sometimes difficult to follow; fortunately, it is only 4 eps long...

What?

Also, Kyou's Story is out. :'(

In real life she is famous for introducing herself to her fans with "I'm Kikoku Inoue and I'm 17 years old" while he is in her mid 40s. Sanae gets to say the same lines as her real life counterpart when she dresses up as yuhei's girlfriend.

yea, really looking forward to see the Kyou story.

Oh I see now.

I damn hope that's a typo :lol:

Whoops, sure is :blink:

Just saw the Kyou alternate world story, one episode is really to little to do it justice but it was so cute. And after two friggin' seasons we finally get to see a kiss in Clannad. All it takes is a tsundere! ^_^

I'm watching Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai

It's awesome.

It's got a little FLCL wtf, TTGL mecha with chest-faces(in fact the giant mecha episode has TONS of TTGL designs including the cathedral Terra ship and a Chick dressed up like Simon from the opening scene...and it's from 2002), and 2001: A Space Odyssey mixed in (Complete with monoliths and star babies) and just-similar-enough-to-not-get-sued Star Wars Imperial march. And one chick is a dead ringer for Mari in Eva 2.0.

and a Rubber sword that makes your boobs expand until they explode.

Edited by Rbstr

I'm watching Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai

It's awesome.

It's got a little FLCL wtf, TTGL mecha with chest-faces(in fact the giant mecha episode has TONS of TTGL designs including the cathedral Terra ship and a Chick dressed up like Simon from the opening scene...and it's from 2002), and 2001: A Space Odyssey mixed in (Complete with monoliths and star babies) and just-similar-enough-to-not-get-sued Star Wars Imperial march. And one chick is a dead ringer for Mari in Eva 2.0.

and a Rubber sword that makes your boobs expand until they explode.

Wasn't the space episode a homage to classic sci fi shows including macross and space battleship yamato rather than TTGL? ^_^