Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

I do LOVE the Omega Prime/God Figure Convoy pair, as well as the Car Bros and JRX! Magnus was one of my first modern TFs after losing touch with the Beast stuff and he's sweet. Maggy only gets better once you get Fire Convoy!

I *HOPE* that's what the production paint job will look like, I mean, generally Takara doesn't usually use the "hand painted prototype promotional images" trickery that Hasbro resorts to (though sometimes Takara does), that is a hell of a lot of paint.

Hmmn. Stacks still look like bare plastic, and most of it is just silver paint--only the grill looks to be actual chrome. Honestly I was hoping they'd chrome EVERYTHING, like the 07 one.

Still, the most important thing IMHO--they painted the doors! The Hasbro one looks so cheap there, with the door being 80% clear with a blue strip at the bottom.

PS---look how dynamically-posed, and properly-transformed Takara's displays are: http://robot.watch.impress.co.jp/img/rbw/d...2/takara_26.jpg

Hmmn. Stacks still look like bare plastic, and most of it is just silver paint--only the grill looks to be actual chrome. Honestly I was hoping they'd chrome EVERYTHING, like the 07 one.

Still, the most important thing IMHO--they painted the doors! The Hasbro one looks so cheap there, with the door being 80% clear with a blue strip at the bottom.

PS---look how dynamically-posed, and properly-transformed Takara's displays are: http://robot.watch.impress.co.jp/img/rbw/d...2/takara_26.jpg

Well just like the 07 only the windshield and grill are chromed

I just noticed that despite all his wonderful new paint, the tool boxes (or w/e they are) by his knees are still only painted silver on one side. Minor nitpick, but still, you would think with all the paint improvements that they would fix that too.

- Winner of the BotCon 2009 Film Festival

The rendering is great, the voices are good too. The graphics are great. The music score is wonderfully dark.

However - the plot just sucks. It's basically just some random violence - although I do like some of the choreography of the fight scenes - well - two parts mainly: Prowl beating Barricade and the end of the Prime/Megatron fight.

I am not a fan of the Alternator/BT designs used but of course I bow my head before the graphics and fluid motion.

And I am very pleased with the seekers.

I'm kind of scratching my head about Optimus Prime though... I would have prefered if they'd just been more faithful to the Masterpiece rendition. That looks like IDW Prime....or something influenced by it...?

But yeah - overall a very nice piece of work. Just wish the plot was better.

Just LOOK at that paint job! They even outlined the flames silver! We can guarantee Hasbro won't be doing this for their release (though I would be pleased if they did. Would be cheaper than importing.)

takara31.jpg

By this point - nothing they do will get me to buy an ROTF figure. Yes, the Leader Prime is the best of the lot. Yes, huge improvement over 07 version. Yes the paint apps are wow.

No, I'm not gonna buy him.

I usually like having an entire collection. I have no use for one robot from the Movie line.... with nobody to boss around, beat up or get beaten up by.

Pete

Just LOOK at that paint job! They even outlined the flames silver! We can guarantee Hasbro won't be doing this for their release (though I would be pleased if they did. Would be cheaper than importing.)

Wow! They really did a good job on the detail. The legs and the arms have all the correct colors.

Well just like the 07 only the windshield and grill are chromed

I have a chrome 07. The grill, front bumper, air cleaners, visors, tanks, tool boxes, and battery boxes are chromed. There's not much that isn't chromed. (stacks, mufflers, rear bumper).

The reason I think this is a preview of what the production toy will look like (other than Takara, and perhaps all Japanese toy companies striving to be faithful to their previews) because there's actually a lot of paint detail missing that customs, including Hasbro's hand-painted prototypes, would have painted in. For example, all of the gold/copper detailing on his limbs, hands and exposed machinery, the Autobot symbol on his chest, and the blue bands with red flames on his biceps.

I'm surprised the battery boxes weren't painted---just like the Hasbro one, they're all-blue, with one face silver. I'm surprised Takara didn't make it all-silver, or at the very least, paint the steps.

The reason I think this is a preview of what the production toy will look like (other than Takara, and perhaps all Japanese toy companies striving to be faithful to their previews) because there's actually a lot of paint detail missing that customs, including Hasbro's hand-painted prototypes, would have painted in. For example, all of the gold/copper detailing on his limbs, hands and exposed machinery, the Autobot symbol on his chest, and the blue bands with red flames on his biceps.

Well they got the leg bit right, where they correctly painted red instead blue on the inner calf

Screw all the hate. I LOVE this guy. He's, what brought me back to the TF fandom after roughly 20 years since 1984/1987

Short review : Fun, creative transformation. Love both jet & bot modes. Pics :

SS_Rev_00.jpg

SS_Rev_04.jpg

SS_Rev_06.jpg

SS_Rev_07.jpg

SS_Rev_09.jpg

SS_Rev_13.jpg

SS_Rev_17.jpg

SS_Rev_03.jpg

SS_Rev_02.jpg

Edited by knoted

I finally saw a Voyager Megatron, so I snatched him up. Voyager Starscream, Leader Prime (although I'll wait for either clearance or the buster version on Prime), and then I think I'm done with RotF toys.

Voyager Megatron (2007) was one of the worst of the first movie line. It only looked sort of like him in bot mode, his alt mode was a little off, and he had that blue plastic "ice" all over him. They've totally made up for it with the RotF line. Not only is Voyager Megatron a solid figure, he seems better than the Leader version! He looks menacing in bot mode, and his gun-claw arm is more movie accurate than the Leader version. His left arm is still skinny, but it's not as tiny as the Leader version. His alt mode is also more movie-accurate by virtue of being slimmer.

There's only a few minor quibbles I'm having. For starters, I think he'd be more movie-accurate without the four black little wings. I mean, I can't remember if he had anything like wings when he was a flying tank in the movie, but from the renders I've seen online, there's no wings. Second, the most obvious, is his greenish color. It's honestly irritating that it looks like they might have started to spray him silver (you can see some silver on his big claw, pelvis, knees, shoulders, chest, and face), but they quit before they finished. I do kinda prefer the green where he should be silver to the random black on the Leader version, though. Speaking of his shoulders, the especially with the way his head sits a little forward, it always looks like he's throwing his shoulders back. Lastly, he's got a ton of back kibble. In alt mode, his legs are kind of folded up like G1 Soundwave's, he lays on his stomach with his arms folded onto his back. The top of the tank is like a shell, and you have two options: you can fold it up so that it's not noticeable from the front, which from the side makes him almost as long chest-to-back-kibble as he is tall, or you can try to fold it in such a way that it looks like wings, which isn't terribly movie-accurate and hinders his arm movement. Honestly, I think the back kibble would have been a lot better with one more hinge, but maybe that's just me.

All-in-all, he's not perfect, but he's the best version of Megatron to come out of either movie line.

In the movie, his flying tank had the four wings. 95% of the preview sketches and lineart on the internet isn't accurate to his movie appearance, heh. Voyager's tank mode is, in fact, movie accurate.

The figure is pretty sweet, too, I agree.

I'll be getting voyager Megs in the mail soon. He's indeed movie accurate.

The green colour represents the short scene where he rises from the green depths of the sea.

Green is probably one of my least fav colours, but the mold looks so great, I can tolerate the green.

Reduced the kibble on my Jetfire a bit. Took off the belts, and the silvery-grey shoulder parts that really stick out in both jet and bot mode. Basically, all the "Prime-only" parts. Jetfire's pins come out pretty easily, so if you can do so, remove them. Only one spring flew out of his chest when I took it apart, so that's good. (the shoulders have some STIFF springs) Took a pic of the internals for reference just in case all the gears and springs decided to go flying off while I was working...

When I got it all back together, the chest mechanism worked smoother---but that also tends to vary day-by-day anyways, so I'll see if it's a permanent bonus.

Not sure what I'll do with the "openings" left by the removal of the silver shoulder bits. It's not very noticeable (since they were half-open anyways even with the kibble) but I would like to stick something in there. No good reference pics of that area yet AFAIK---he's always hunched over! Though comparing the few pics out there with the robot replicas version, I'm pretty sure those bits aren't "officially" there so their removal does improve both bot and jet accuracy.

IMG_1788.jpg

Jet mode pics tomorrow maybe. I've also (mostly) removed the "JTFR" lettering. It'd burnish the plastic to remove them 100%, so they're just "very faded" now.

A question for those in the know.

My son really likes the Transformers G1 cartoon (I bought him a DVD set) and has been asking for a Ratchet or Ironhide toy.

Have there ever been any decent toys of Ratchet or Ironhide made where the bot mode actually resembles the cartoon?

The only toys I have seen are the 2007(?) reissues of the original G1 toys, which frankly have bot modes that look like ass and nothing like the cartoon.

Graham

A question for those in the know.

My son really likes the Transformers G1 cartoon (I bought him a DVD set) and has been asking for a Ratchet or Ironhide toy.

Have there ever been any decent toys of Ratchet or Ironhide made where the bot mode actually resembles the cartoon?

The only toys I have seen are the 2007(?) reissues of the original G1 toys, which frankly have bot modes that look like ass and nothing like the cartoon.

Graham

Edit: Fixed links

Edited by RD Blade