Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

I just finished building my Ozma VF-25.

The hardest part of the kit was getting everything to align properly in fighter mode. Well, mostly aligned, I should say. I think I have more gaps in that thing than a parked SR-71!

Amen to that! I think the problems are to do with the complicated wing glove area.. its just impossible to get everything to line up properly.

anyone have a larger image of that cathy decal? Maybe they'll make a 1:8 figure out of that too xD

Also, I can't for the life of me find where the Cathy decal is supposed to go? Where is 62-64??

Edited by Cent

anyone have a larger image of that cathy decal? Maybe they'll make a 1:8 figure out of that too xD

Also, I can't for the life of me find where the Cathy decal is supposed to go? Where is 62-64??

According to the instructions there, it says something along the lines of "use your imagination to put decals 62-64, and any others that are not numbered, whereever you want to put it" :lol:

how about the left chest plate of the VF-25? B))

According to the instructions there, it says something along the lines of "use your imagination to put decals 62-64, and any others that are not numbered, whereever you want to put it" :lol:

I'm hoping the Cathy decal will be big enough to replace the skull on the back plate, though I don't think it will be.

I decided not to build either Alto or Luca, but to build a Ghost first! Its small, simple, and doesn't take too long to finish, with a total of about 10-15 parts. At the same time, I'm impressed by the level of detail on it, including clear yellow parts for the dorsal sensor and ventral nose tip sensor. Which just brings up the question of why Bandai couldn't mould the cockpit canopy of Luca in the same colour. The included mini base with SMS logo is amazing as well. Here are some pictures of my rough build. Just a note of caution-- quite a lot of painting is required if you want it to be show accurate because Bandai moulded many parts as just 1 piece.

post-10385-1236246445_thumb.jpg

post-10385-1236246463_thumb.jpg

post-10385-1236246482_thumb.jpg

post-10385-1236246498_thumb.jpg

post-10385-1236246541_thumb.jpg

Yea well in that case, I still need to know how big its gonna be to determine where I can put it =P

I hope its really big (like the Sheryl Decal). Maybe enough to replace the skull decal as well. The issue with that though is that it limits the number of areas where the decal will fit... so they might not make them that large.

Edited by Cent

I decided not to build either Alto or Luca, but to build a Ghost first! Its small, simple, and doesn't take too long to finish, with a total of about 10-15 parts. At the same time, I'm impressed by the level of detail on it, including clear yellow parts for the dorsal sensor and ventral nose tip sensor. Which just brings up the question of why Bandai couldn't mould the cockpit canopy of Luca in the same colour. The included mini base with SMS logo is amazing as well. Here are some pictures of my rough build. Just a note of caution-- quite a lot of painting is required if you want it to be show accurate because Bandai moulded many parts as just 1 piece.

You call that small? From the first picture it seems to be at least half the length of the VF-25, wich is actually bigger than i had thought.

I'm really happy they put 3 ghost in there, just one would be a bummer.

As for the canopy, although i agree with you, they should just come molded in color, the fact is that, since the canopies for all 4 fighters are the same, they must be mass produced separatly and then atached to the required sprue (notice as the canopy sprue section is separate from the clear visor and white parts?). Its a pain but cost effectiveness is an important factor. Molding an exact amount in the correct color (as far as i've seen there are 3 diferent color for the canopies) would never happen. Now, the eyepiece for each VF is different, and could be molded in color lust like the sensor domes for the ghosts. But then, how would they sell their clear paints? In the end its just business. Of course, from that perspective, why did they mould the ghosts clear pieces in color... (HEAD EXPLODES).

On a different subject, now that Ozma's Super Messiah as come out, any one knows if there are plans to release the Armored version?

Edited by westfall

You call that small? From the first picture it seems to be at least half the length of the VF-25, wich is actually bigger than i had thought.

I'm really happy they put 3 ghost in there, just one would be a bummer.

As for the canopy, although i agree with you, they should just come molded in color, the fact is that, since the canopies for all 4 fighters are the same, they must be mass produced separatly and then atached to the required sprue (notice as the canopy sprue section is separate from the clear visor and white parts?). Its a pain but cost effectiveness is an important factor. Molding an exact amount in the correct color (as far as i've seen there are 3 diferent color for the canopies) would never happen. Now, the eyepiece for each VF is different, and could be molded in color lust like the sensor domes for the ghosts. But then, how would they sell their clear paints? In the end its just business. Of course, from that perspective, why did they mould the ghosts clear pieces in color... (HEAD EXPLODES).

On a different subject, now that Ozma's Super Messiah as come out, any one knows if there are plans to release the Armored version?

It's half the length, and about 1/4 the volume, so yes I think its quite small when considered in its own right. Anyway, even considering economies of scale and all, I'd still have liked them to have coloured canopies. I should think that the Armoured version would come out before the DX toy does, which means it would come out before June.

okay okay... enough rants about clear parts.

I have never seen cathy in such a SEXY pose!!!

man those cathy decals RULE.

simply js gotta get that super ozma

even tho i already have an ozma built :(

damn bandai

okay okay... enough rants about clear parts.

I have never seen cathy in such a SEXY pose!!!

man those cathy decals RULE.

simply js gotta get that super ozma

even tho i already have an ozma built :(

damn bandai

Heh I get the feeling the cathy decals will be small, simply because they are providing 3 of them, and they can be placed anywhere apparently.

I'd like to know how does it compares in size to the 1/72 ebo ghost garage kit from Macross Plus..The frontier one seems to be smaller and more streamlined.

anyone bought the VF-25F Super Messiah Alto Custom Model Kit?

is the armour kit good in terms of detail?

can it fit without damaging the stickers?

I've bought but not assembled it. But I don't think you will damage the stickers if you just fit it on and not keep putting it on and taking it off.

i'm hoping you're right, but i haven't seen any announcements of the 1/72 armor release date.

The model kits don't seem to be announced very far ahead of time--- the 1/72 Super VF-25S and 1/72 VF-25G were only announced last month and they are due at the end of this month, unlike the toys where they are announced 3-4 months ahead of time. So, the first indication we would get of the Armoured 1/72 release might not even be until end-April, for a late- May release.

Anyway, unless Bandai releases other VF model kits, you know they will be reaching the Armoured sooner rather than later-- All they've left after March is the Super RVF-25 and Super VF-25G, and maybe a CF-25.

If the stickers are fitted you can't mount or unmount the packs without ruining them. Especially the hip stickers will be destroyed.

If you're careful, its entirely possible to mount the packs on a completed VF-25, stickered or decaled. Luckily I happened to not glue any of the parts that needed to be removed. For the hips stickers, just take a super sharp exacto, and slice the already applied (and clearcoated if thats the case) decal or sticker right at the part seperation point. Now, carefully, pull the hip apart, and if want, add a bit more clearcoat to the edges of the decal where you just cut it.

The only othere location that you should worry about is the wing stickers, but on mine at least, there seems to be no rubbing at all.

Truth be told, the switchover was much less painful than I had thought

Got a VF-25F with superpack......debating whether I should get Sheryl decals or would it scratch up a lot if I'm not careful......any ideas?

The Sheryl decals will be covered by the Super pack anyway--- if you want to build a Sheryl VF-25F it should be a plain version.

Looks like some standard polishing of the clear coat.

Yep, but is not standard, but especially for modeling.

I found the first part, here applies the paint and water decals and then the layer of special lacquer, that is what he do shine with the compound, nice video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yudxbS5vRa4...feature=related

This is the question, if anyone have plan do this.

After many late nights,

at last i just completed my super vf-25f :D:D:D

Picture009-5.jpg

i am still undecided whether i should go with a blue or grey cockpit though

i'd be glad if you guys could give some inputs on this :)

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture014.jpg

adding the superparts really made it beefier, the wing boosters are huge!

now it dont look so out of place anymore side-by-side with yamato's 1/60 vf-1 :D

Picture025.jpg