Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

AHHHHH... Argh!! SH$#!... sucks cause I just filled and sanded some seams, I just hope you don't have to take the shoulder cowling apart. I think that's the only area of concern for those of us trying to get rid of seams.

I can't imagine any need for the forward nose cone to be touched, the forearms or the back of the knee joints. Any news about the actual parts that need to be disassembled would be greatly appreciated.

Doesn't make much difference to me. I figured it would be something like that since I didn't see connection points from the pics. Also, I don't have a valk yet, so the super pack is pretty much gonna sit around unbuilt until Michael gets released...(though I may try it out with Luca since I'm getting him when I get the super parts)

Either way, I'm just glad it looks so good. I don't get why it's such a shock that the parts don't just pop on and require "replacement". It's a complex kit that from what I could see has little room for additional parts in some areas with no visible attachment points and hoping for a "magnetic" attachment system is kinda naive...

I'd guess that almost all the leg armour, the crotch, the upper intakes, and the chest would need to be replaced--which is basically every part that the armour needs to be attached (other than the wing pods). Given this, I don't see why the cost of the VF-25F Super needs to be so high! They could just have excluded the parts to make the normal VF-25F and reduced the cost some.

Edited by edwin3060

Excluding those parts that need to be replaced means Bandai will be creating new moulds specifically for the Alto special, which translates to added costs, not to mention they will need to possibly reconfigure their moulding machines for that setup, unlike if you just use the existing setup of the machines used to manufacture the VF-25F and possibly add a few machines setup for moulding the FAST packs.

Or I could be wrong and they did exclude the unnecessary parts but included a few more gimmicks instead.

New magazine scans of the VF-25F Super pack set and RVF-25 kit. The parts of the kit needed to be disassembled for Super Pack attachment can be seen in the first scan (small pic in the middle).

3217724802_f00a04e0de_b.jpg

3216872037_d2c6304410_b.jpg

Edited by IXTL

Sweet! The Super pack will have a removeable sensor attachment for the end of the left super pack booster for Luca's unit. Something the DX RVF-25 doesn't have.

It's also really cool that all 3 Ghosts can mount on the same Action Base display stand as the RVF-25 and each Ghost even has its own mini stand!

Edited by IXTL

Kind of hard to make out in the small pic, but it looks like you will need to remove the intakes on the hips, the back leg armour, the chest piece and the parts around the neck. Shoulders themselves and arms are intact. Looks like my VF-25s will not be getting fast packs.

Yep. At least the kit is not difficult to dissemble-- most of the parts come off with a firm tug, so no worries about breaking stubs! It still kind of sucks that partsforming is required for Super pack mode. I guess this means the 1/100 line will most likely be either/or i.e. VF-25 and VF-25 Super will be different toys altogether.

AHHHHH... Argh!! SH$#!... sucks cause I just filled and sanded some seams, I just hope you don't have to take the shoulder cowling apart. I think that's the only area of concern for those of us trying to get rid of seams.

I can't imagine any need for the forward nose cone to be touched, the forearms or the back of the knee joints. Any news about the actual parts that need to be disassembled would be greatly appreciated.

In battroid mode, the upper portions of the torso leading to the shoulders, the cav area of the legs and the insert to the crotch are all that get changed out. And seeing how you shouldn't be filling those areas I think you're ok.

At least the hip parts are replaced with something else. Maybe it'll help make it more of a tighter fit in fighter mode?

I'd really like to buy two of these for Alto and Ozma, though ever so rare Ozma ever uses super packs.

I'd really like to buy two of these for Alto and Ozma, though ever so rare Ozma ever uses super packs.

Meh, I will wait until Ozma gets the armor kits and then get a completely new one as it would destroy my already clearcoated and decaled ozma anyway.

In battroid mode, the upper portions of the torso leading to the shoulders, the cav area of the legs and the insert to the crotch are all that get changed out. And seeing how you shouldn't be filling those areas I think you're ok.

At least the hip parts are replaced with something else. Maybe it'll help make it more of a tighter fit in fighter mode?

I hope so but I doubt it-- the problems in fighter mode don't seem to be consistent, some kits have it, some kits don't, regardless of whether they are 25F or S. Which means that Bandai can't come up with a fix for it.

I think the floppy-ness issue with the fighter mode realy depends on how you transform it. On my Ozma, sometimes it looks really bad, but if I am firm and really push the pieces together, it fits much better. There are a few things Bandai could of done to make it better, like adding tabs for the wing roots, but otherwise it seems to be OK to me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get an Alto with super packs.

Right now the way I got it fitted it looks like my Alto, if I touch it in some way it looks a lot worse.

I'll maybe take some pictures or something I dunno.

I like the kit, but man in some way it's just a bigger pain in the ass to me than what happened with my Alto.

My main concern is the boosters--are they going to utterly ruin the wing decals when attached? If they simply "press fit" by being slid over them... I figure they're going to have to be permanently mounted, otherwise your VF-25 will look pretty awful when they're removed.

So glad I got Luca AND the Fast Pack on order from HLJ. LOVING the 3 ghosts that come with Luca that appear to be customizable (at least for the attachments up front). The fast packs still look cool and the swapping doesn't bother me at all. Heck, I never really planned to have Michael without Fast Packs on anyway and since I'm getting them first, I won't have to take him apart.

looking at the pic of all the armored parts that will be included and the pic of the parts on the figure, it seems like all the parts that have to be removed won't be difficult to do so. like the left and right chest pieces, the middle chest piece, the two shoulder plates, the side and back pieces of the legs, etc.

My main concern is the boosters--are they going to utterly ruin the wing decals when attached? If they simply "press fit" by being slid over them... I figure they're going to have to be permanently mounted, otherwise your VF-25 will look pretty awful when they're removed.

Wings? Maybe. I'm a little more concerned about the chest decals. Those might suffer if you can't attach the Super parts properly.

You mean the chest panel for the super packs or the original? The original parts seem to be removed in order to put on the super parts which really isn't an issue.

I'mnot even worried about the boosters to the wings...I'm sure it'll be fine espically if you're careful.

looking at the pic of all the armored parts that will be included and the pic of the parts on the figure, it seems like all the parts that have to be removed won't be difficult to do so. like the left and right chest pieces, the middle chest piece, the two shoulder plates, the side and back pieces of the legs, etc.

Yep thats the good part. I'm not liking the fact that the parts that need character-specific colours will be stickers--coloured plastic would have been much better.

New magazine scans of the VF-25F Super pack set and RVF-25 kit. The parts of the kit needed to be disassembled for Super Pack attachment can be seen in the first scan (small pic in the middle).

Anyone gonna make their Luca into a Super Luca? I'm kinda curious how it will look b/c the pics on MAHQ of the CG Super Luca don't look half bad. Maybe I'll end up going Super Luca and Armored Michael (assuming Armored parts come out, which I bet will be when Michael is released).

Edit: Removed the pics, didn't mean to quote them too.

Edit 2: JUST thought about this...If the Super Parts require parts swapping b/c things fit too tightly, what are the chances that the Armored parts would require an almost complete rebuild of the kit b/c those parts are massive...

Edited by protostar8

the full armor would be a little bulkier but they could probably still make it add-on or swappable. looks like if they made it, the front leg armor could just attach to the leg back armor and the shoulder armor could be attached somehow. everything else would be the same swappable part areas as the super pack and they wouldn't have to make a completely new figure.

post-2880-1232772937_thumb.gif

the full armor would be a little bulkier but they could probably still make it add-on or swappable. looks like if they made it, the front leg armor could just attach to the leg back armor and the shoulder armor could be attached somehow. everything else would be the same swappable part areas as the super pack and they wouldn't have to make a completely new figure.

Sounds good then. I wasn't sure if the back leg armor would really hinder transformation.

i guess when the super armor arrives i'll have to check the instruction booklet. just to check i managed to get the leg and shoulder parts off with no problem but couldn't get the chest pieces off. i think i remember the left and right bottom pieces slide forward off first and then the left and right top plates can be removed and then the middle piece.

i don't think the cover thats armors the nose shield will fit into its space in fighter. It's already a tight squeeze as it is.

Rule of thumb-- if it doesn't look like it will fit in place, then it's probably a replacement part.

sh002:Can't you just reverse engineer it from the original instructions? I'm pretty sure the left and right shoulder parts come out first, as they are the last pieces to go in.

yeah i know. i was just too lazy to get the instruction book out since i had my figure right there to just examine.

I think it's best to either partially disassemble the model into the major components to convert it to super mode, failing that Battroid is probably the next best mode for conversion since all (or most) of the parts that you need to remove are exposed. I'm going with the first route since I'm going to display my VF in fighter and I want to make sure everything fits together nicely! (If possible)