Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

Working on Alto's right now. ^_^

Is it better to put on the decals before or after the kit is finished?

Also, how did you get the decals out from the sheet? (it's the blue sheet right?=P) I tried peeling them from the sheet, but they just won't come off >_<

Better to put it after in my opinion... or what I do is I put them on when a sub-component is done (as in legs, arms, wing, etc), in case there are hard to reach places.

Blue Decals are water-slides. Cut-out an area containing the decal, use a tweezer and soak in the area in room temperature water for a few seconds (less than 10). Pull out the soaked decal area, and carefully use a q-tip or something similar to push the decal in place. The water separates the decal from the plastic basically.

Hell I'd even like to know. My Ozma has awful gaps on it compared to my Alto and even that has gaps.

I just finished Ozma an hour ago, he's pretty tight in the joints but there were a few moments where I was getting pised off, even lost a decal for the VF-25's head and just ended up taking a bit of black and a sharp tooth pick and just drew on what I needed too...came out fine.

although I do think this could of been better.

Looks good! Did you use stickers or decals? Also, what did you use to colour the canopy and the sensors?

i used the normal stickers (the type where you DONT have to dip it into water to peel it off)

i dont have any experience with the water slide decals and did not dare to use them :p

also, i used mr. hobby's clear blue paint for the canopy and sensors :)

except for the stickers on the wings that go all the way from the wing's tip to the joints,

i put all my stickers on after i completed the build.

Hell I'd even like to know. My Ozma has awful gaps on it compared to my Alto and even that has gaps.

I just finished Ozma an hour ago, he's pretty tight in the joints but there were a few moments where I was getting pised off, even lost a decal for the VF-25's head and just ended up taking a bit of black and a sharp tooth pick and just drew on what I needed too...came out fine.

although I do think this could of been better.

From all previous reports and my personal experience, Ozuma should fit together more tightly and better than Alto-- maybe you should try dissembling into the major assemblies (torso, arms, legs) and re-assembling it?

For reference

On February

1/72 VF-25F Alto custom with Sheryl decal

http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/113577

1/72 VF-25S Ozma custom with Sheryl decal

http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/113578

I've emailed Rainbowten and apparently this is a special exclusive to amiami! If anybody has ordered extras please contact me, I wanna get one!

From all previous reports and my personal experience, Ozuma should fit together more tightly and better than Alto-- maybe you should try dissembling into the major assemblies (torso, arms, legs) and re-assembling it?

Did it lastnight, doesn't seem improved at all. The right hip piece seems pretty loose too. Guess I just got a jerky one or something. Even the head wont tuck all the way in, you can still see a bit of it.

Did it lastnight, doesn't seem improved at all. The right hip piece seems pretty loose too. Guess I just got a jerky one or something. Even the head wont tuck all the way in, you can still see a bit of it.

My experience has been somewhat the opposite (though I'm still working on my Alto). My Ozma-valk was a pain in the butt to get everything to flush and fit right, yes and I had tons of problems with the head too. It is now being disassembled and used as spare parts in case anything goes wrong with my Alto build :)

In my opinion, both kits have less than optimal fits, the tolerances needed are just way too high. Can't blame the kit though, it is trying to pretend to be a perfect transformation kit which inevitably leads to painful complexities in assembly.

Edited by Ghost Train

I've emailed Rainbowten and apparently this is a special exclusive to amiami! If anybody has ordered extras please contact me, I wanna get one!

A little strange.

In Amiami web, if it is Amimi limited ver, the title will indicate.

Hope you can get these two model kits.

My experience has been somewhat the opposite (though I'm still working on my Alto). My Ozma-valk was a pain in the butt to get everything to flush and fit right, yes and I had tons of problems with the head too. It is now being disassembled and used as spare parts in case anything goes wrong with my Alto build :)

In my opinion, both kits have less than optimal fits, the tolerances needed are just way too high. Can't blame the kit though, it is trying to pretend to be a perfect transformation kit which inevitably leads to painful complexities in assembly.

Hmm my Ozma has been quite perfect. Here are some pics of the hip/intake guns. The fit is much much better as compared to my alto kit! The left side hip gun doesn't fit so well though.

post-10385-1232391081_thumb.jpg

post-10385-1232391249_thumb.jpg

Edited by edwin3060

Looks better than mine...I've looked it over piece by piece...I've gotten it to look pretty close to Alto's but it's still not where I'd like it. I just wish I knew why these things gapped so much in that particular area and what Bandai's modelers are doing so different from the rest of us.

Looks better than mine...I've looked it over piece by piece...I've gotten it to look pretty close to Alto's but it's still not where I'd like it. I just wish I knew why these things gapped so much in that particular area and what Bandai's modelers are doing so different from the rest of us.

Hmm that's interesting-- That means that the fit varies on a kit by kit basis. I used to think that they made some changes to the mould for the VF-25S so it all fits together better, but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Perhaps the mould wears out, so if you get a kit that was produced when the mould was fresh, you get a kit that fits together better, and vice versa? I suspect the Bandai modellers got the first few kits so it all fits together well-- either that or they glued their fighter together and used a different kit for the Gerwalk and Battroid modes where the fit issues don't show up.

Could be. I almost wanted to get those tiny lil magnets like in the build up being done...but I didn't wanna wreck the kit by drilling holes in it. Although I wouldn't mind buying a cheap alto kit and trying it out someday, see if it works.

Could be. I almost wanted to get those tiny lil magnets like in the build up being done...but I didn't wanna wreck the kit by drilling holes in it. Although I wouldn't mind buying a cheap alto kit and trying it out someday, see if it works.

They should work, if the magnets are strong enough. My Alto kit's hip guns can fit into position quite nicely when I squeeze down on the intakes from the top/bottom, if you can visualise it. It's just that the kit just doesn't want to fit together nicely like that without some force.

I'm wondering what can I do to get the black outline on the cockpit?

Is it okay to use a permanent marker? Perhaps a sharpie? But, one twitch of the hand and you got a huge gash on the "glass". >.<

I heard of people using paint with a skinny brush to do it. So which is the best?

When using paint, should you use masking tape if necessary?

I'm wondering what can I do to get the black outline on the cockpit?

Is it okay to use a permanent marker? Perhaps a sharpie? But, one twitch of the hand and you got a huge gash on the "glass". >.<

I heard of people using paint with a skinny brush to do it. So which is the best?

When using paint, should you use masking tape if necessary?

You'll probably want to use masking tape regardless of painting it or using a sharpie. How you want to get the canopy frame colored is up to you. But I would mask it to prevent "unsteady" hands.

I use a set of tweezers to grab that lil end at the bottom of the canopy, flat black for paint and a tooth pick and dabble on the part you want. After doing those so many times it's really easy for me to not touch the parts you don't want painted for the canopy glass...and it'll match with the decals really well and blend in perfectly.

Alto super pack news! (And I hate to be the bare of bad news)

Has this been brought up before?

Source: http://www.amiami.com/shop/?vgForm=Product...ku=TOY-RBT-0587

see the red underline on second photo (a rough translation by yours truly)?.

It seems that you NEED UNASSEMBLED VF-25F alto to fit in the Super pack!

Other sources (dalong.net, and ruliweb) mentions that one may need to unassemble up to 1/3 of the kit in order to fit in the adopters for the super pack.

..........SON OF A BYTCH!! What about those of us who already finished and sealed the kit?

BLUF (bottom line up front).,Those of us who already assembeld, painted, decaled, and sealed the kit.... might as well as get the new unassembled kit with the super pack.

If there is someone else in this forum can translate Japanese better than me, pleeeeease tell me I am wrong!!

post-8913-1232558763_thumb.jpg

post-8913-1232558772_thumb.jpg

Not meaning to be rude to anyone, but looking at the parts breakdown of the super packs that were shown some time ago i would have thought it was pretty obvious that it would either need to be incorporated whilst the model was being built or one would have to dissasemble their build one to fit the new parts.

I may now repaint my Alto into a custom scheme, despite all the work i put into it, since i have the Alto + super pack kit on order. Maybe a VF-25 with the proper UN Spacy logo (not that new NUNS logo) and a tactical paint scheme.

Whoa, good thing I took a multi-week break from building mine! I still only have the forward fuselage finished. Guess I'll finish up the painting and leave the remaining parts as-is, and wait for the super pack to be released.

Alto super pack news! (And I hate to be the bare of bad news)

Has this been brought up before?

Source: http://www.amiami.com/shop/?vgForm=Product...ku=TOY-RBT-0587

see the red underline on second photo (a rough translation by yours truly)?.

It seems that you NEED UNASSEMBLED VF-25F alto to fit in the Super pack!

Other sources (dalong.net, and ruliweb) mentions that one may need to unassemble up to 1/3 of the kit in order to fit in the adopters for the super pack.

..........SON OF A BYTCH!! What about those of us who already finished and sealed the kit?

BLUF (bottom line up front).,Those of us who already assembeld, painted, decaled, and sealed the kit.... might as well as get the new unassembled kit with the super pack.

If there is someone else in this forum can translate Japanese better than me, pleeeeease tell me I am wrong!!

Whoo~~, you don't see my post on #578

I already post it, but not many people notice.