Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

After many late nights,

at last i just completed my super vf-25f :D:D:D

Picture009-5.jpg

i am still undecided whether i should go with a blue or grey cockpit though

i'd be glad if you guys could give some inputs on this :)

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture014.jpg

adding the superparts really made it beefier, the wing boosters are huge!

now it dont look so out of place anymore side-by-side with yamato's 1/60 vf-1 :D

Picture025.jpg

It looks great! I'd go with grey though-- the blue reminds me a little too much of Bandai's VF100s prototype fiasco. Did you gloss coat the finished model or paint it in any way? I just completed my RVF-25 and I'm wondering whether to start on this soon :p

i am still undecided whether i should go with a blue or grey cockpit though

i'd be glad if you guys could give some inputs on this :)

I'm guessing you're refering to the tint of the cockpit?

For the VF-25F and VF-25S I'll use clear blue mixed with a touch of clear red. Yeah, purple. (Or is it violet? I never know!)

The RVF-25 has a green tone wich will be harder to get. As for the VF-25G is clear blue.

I mix the clear paints with Future and i've been getting good results. :)

Edited by westfall

thanks alot for the comments and inputs guys!

sorry for my slow reply as when i posted it,

it was already 230am in my part of the world :D

i didnt use any gloss paint,

only tinted the inner side of the cockpit using mr. hobby's clear coat (blue and smoke grey)

the afterburners and nozzles on the super parts were already in bronze thanks to Bandai!

most of the gloss came from my camera's flash i think

i only used a gundam marker GM02 for all the panel lines.

as for the choice of color for the cockpit tint,

yeah maybe will go for grey as the standardized shade for all 4 of them (ozma, alto, mikhail and luca)

the blue tint looks great too, but may only be suitable for alto

i am still waiting for my luca to arrive :D

Got my 1/72 VF-25S (regular and Super) Messiah kits over the weekend. Already assembled the regular version while staying at a hotel. This week, I'll disassemble and paint the parts.

The Super Messiah will be in the works this Summer, as I'll be looking into using more professional-grade paints for it.

Bandai 1/72 VF-25G BoxArt from Ngee-Khiong:

post-10806-1236594483_thumb.jpg

http://ngeekhiong.blogspot.com/2009/03/172...haels-unit.html

Thanks for the post! I think I will wait for the inevitable super pack bundle release. The boxart makes me wish that Bandai will do a 1/72 Q-Rea! It can't be too different from making one of their Gundam kits, after all.

Edited by edwin3060

Hopefully the next VF release after they are done with the VF-25 is the VF-27--- it's the only other MF VF to have appeared (even if only as a scratchbuild) in the Hobby magazines, after all (ignoring the 1/100 VB-6). On my wishlist:

VF-25 Armoured

VF-27

Q-Rea

VF-171 (and variants)

VB-6 Canaria Custom --- it should only be about the size of a PG Gundam or so, afterall :p

Varja

And hopefully, in their EX line of model kits,

Battle Frontier

Macross Quarter

Battle Galaxy

Varja Mothership

Unfortunately, that will only happen if Bandai treats Macross Frontier like it does Gundam :( I still remember all the kit merchandise for the whole Gundam SEED+Destiny series, with probably about 100 different model kits (counting all the re-colours and MSV) and EX kits for the Skygrasper, Minerva, Archangel, Eternal etc... Oh well, one can dream. Which is a pity, because I think the designs for Macross are wayy cooler than Gundam.

Hopefully the next VF release after they are done with the VF-25 is the VF-27--- it's the only other MF VF to have appeared (even if only as a scratchbuild) in the Hobby magazines, after all (ignoring the 1/100 VB-6). On my wishlist:

VF-25 Armoured

VF-27

Q-Rea

VF-171 (and variants)

VB-6 Canaria Custom --- it should only be about the size of a PG Gundam or so, afterall :p

Varja

And hopefully, in their EX line of model kits,

Battle Frontier

Macross Quarter

Battle Galaxy

Varja Mothership

Unfortunately, that will only happen if Bandai treats Macross Frontier like it does Gundam :( I still remember all the kit merchandise for the whole Gundam SEED+Destiny series, with probably about 100 different model kits (counting all the re-colours and MSV) and EX kits for the Skygrasper, Minerva, Archangel, Eternal etc... Oh well, one can dream. Which is a pity, because I think the designs for Macross are wayy cooler than Gundam.

And somewhere down the line we can expect PG Valkyrie or Macross Quarter by Bandai with all the metal parts and lights and sounds and I'll preorder either in a heartbeat like a hunter on Zoey. :rolleyes:

Also, I think someone asked this before but... How does a perfect grade get rolled out? Is it more of the demand or the company's whim? Do they look at the smaller line and chooses whatever does really well?

Unfortunately, that will only happen if Bandai treats Macross Frontier like it does Gundam :(

Hopefully all that happens but personally I think it's hard to happen so long as Big West owns Macross. It's just a lot easier to abuse a property you own than one you gotta pay and get permission for. One of the reasons why Gundam Seed merchandising lasted so long is because Bandai/Sunrise continued to keep the brand alive by making side-stories, sequels, new edits, movies, and whatnot. Harder for Bandai to do that when Big West owns/controls the creative rights.

The amount of work needed to put together one of these kits is the only thing stopping me from buying a whole SMS Skull Squadron. :(

Building up the VF-25F Alto made me learn alot but I might not have the stamina to build another kit. Sigh.

At least until the Armoured Ozma comes out. :D

RVF-25 review:

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/type97/20090307

Where do RVF-25 suppose to hold the gun in fighter mode?

Unfortunately you can see how the wings sag with the weight of the Super pack in Gerwalk mode--- and from the fighter mode pictures the hip guns are still out of place :( Oh well maybe it is mistransformed just like the Battroid mode in the pics. Nice to know how good the RVF-25 looks without panel lining though.

I got my VF-25 super parts kit.

I have a completed VF-25 Alto to put it on.

I cant read Japanese and the instructions look zentraedi to me.

I need a miracle to perform this operation.

Maybe just some balls and some scotch. . .

The amount of work needed to put together one of these kits is the only thing stopping me from buying a whole SMS Skull Squadron. :(

Building up the VF-25F Alto made me learn alot but I might not have the stamina to build another kit. Sigh.

At least until the Armoured Ozma comes out. :D

Honestly, when the end product is as awesome as these kits are, it's totally worth the effort. I've built both the VF-25F and the VF-25S in the matter of a month and a half, and while they might not exactly be Hobby Japan worthy masterpieces, they are still amazing. Don't be discouraged. They are totally worth some blood, sweat, and tears.

I can hardly wait until the VF-25G comes out.

I got my VF-25 super parts kit.

I have a completed VF-25 Alto to put it on.

I cant read Japanese and the instructions look zentraedi to me.

I need a miracle to perform this operation.

Maybe just some balls and some scotch. . .

My God, is the super pack instructions that hard to understand? That's messed up.

-Kyp

Ok, so I bought a few of the Gundam markers, for panel lining, that evey one keeps talking about, and what the HELL!!! I thought you guys said that mistakes clean of easy with your thumb or water!!!? I could not get any of it off without using rubbing alcohol which in turn screwed up the plastic!!! What the hell!

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Could you be more specific, EXACTLY what did you buy? Also---rubbing alcohol affects few plastics---I've soaked many pieces for days with no effect. (black plastic gets a sort of haze sometimes, but that's about it) I'm surprised by everything you wrote.

Hey David, I bought this

http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM02

I used it on my new Yamato VF-1D v.2 ( yes I know this is the model thread but I was talking more about the marker which has been mentioned here often more than the object) After I traced some of the panels I tried rubbing some ofthe overrun of with my thumb....it didn't even smear, then I tried water and cloth...again didn't even so much as smudge. Finally I got some rubbing alcohol, OOOPS I didn't use rubbing Alcohol I used Nail polish remover :o on TP it started to finally remove SOME of it but I couldn't get it out of the actual panels (it marker was far too dark a grey) but it did lighten them. After going over every thing, I noticed a cloudiness/ slight miscloration of the areas I had to rub plus the plastic felt rough in those areas instead of smooth like the unaffected areas. Now, I may need to repaint the damn thing. I only did the tops of the wings and the tan area of the upper fuselage behing the Orange portion. I was just under the impression, from how everyone here was talking, that Gundam markers cleaned up easy and could be easily erased. Not what happend for me. :(

Chris

Edit: I realised I use Nail poish remover not Rubbing Alcohol. I'm a Dumb ass. However it still doesn't change the fact that the marker wouldn't budge until I used the NPR. GRRRR! :(

Edited by Dobber

Did the plastic need a gloss coat before I used the marker? I'm starting to fear I made a rookie mistake. This is why I hate trying new things I never seem to get it right. I just need to stick with what I know.

Chris

I personally use tamiya acrylics to panel-line and then use cheap airbrush cleaner to wipe it all off. I guess some white spirit would do the same trick. Just keep acetone away from your plastic. It eats polystyrene for breakfast.

[qoute]Did the plastic need a gloss coat before I used the marker?

As far as I know that's only needed when you try to panel-wash flat paint or generally to protect the underlying layers of paint. A direct application like a marker should work fine, especially on bare plastic.

Edited by DarkReaper

Nail polish remover is certainly "stronger", but I don't think it'd be as effective as rubbing alcohol on Gundam Marker. Kind of like using lacquer thinner with acrylic paint---they just aren't designed to do anything to each other. I'm betting rubbing alcohol would have worked much better, without doing a thing to the plastic.

Question---did you let the gundam marker dry before you tried to remove it? If so, that'd explain a lot. It removes easily when "wet", harder when dry. (and sometimes it'll never totally dry---I recently removed 8-year-old ink from my PG Wing Zero with just spit, and you'd never know I'd applied any)

Note: GM02 does seem "tougher" than any other thing I use, and it tends to "soak in more" to anything even SLIGHTLY porous. I personally rarely use name-brand Gundam Markers, preferring Sakura brand Pigma Micron pens. (they are much more forgiving, and cheap/easy to find in the US)

I haven't tried inking a V2.0 VF-1. Maybe the plastic changed, and it reacts differently than other Yamato/Bandai plastics?

Hey David, I bought this

http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM02

I used it on my new Yamato VF-1D v.2 ( yes I know this is the model thread but I was talking more about the marker which has been mentioned here often more than the object) After I traced some of the panels I tried rubbing some ofthe overrun of with my thumb....it didn't even smear, then I tried water and cloth...again didn't even so much as smudge. Finally I got some rubbing alcohol, OOOPS I didn't use rubbing Alcohol I used Nail polish remover :o on TP it started to finally remove SOME of it but I couldn't get it out of the actual panels (it marker was far too dark a grey) but it did lighten them. After going over every thing, I noticed a cloudiness/ slight miscloration of the areas I had to rub plus the plastic felt rough in those areas instead of smooth like the unaffected areas. Now, I may need to repaint the damn thing. I only did the tops of the wings and the tan area of the upper fuselage behing the Orange portion. I was just under the impression, from how everyone here was talking, that Gundam markers cleaned up easy and could be easily erased. Not what happend for me. :(

Chris

Edit: I realised I use Nail poish remover not Rubbing Alcohol. I'm a Dumb ass. However it still doesn't change the fact that the marker wouldn't budge until I used the NPR. GRRRR! :(

Hey Man! NEVER EVER use gundam markers on Yamato (edited for clarity) 1/60 ver.2 VF-1 plastic!!!

it is a totally different ball game, the plastic is different than the model kit plastic.

it is more porous so the marker ink totally goes into it,

you cant rub it off with your thumb,

and yes like what happened to you,

you needed nail polish or some other stuff to get it off and may hurt your yamato in the process.

whatever was mentioned here was with regard to MODEL KIT plastics,

where the gundam marker really does wonders.

and can be rubbed off instantly.

...i am really sorry you had to learn this the hard way

Edited by honkhet

Dobber, I am sorry to hear about this.

I have had no problems using a gundam marker on model kits and Yamato valks. I just panel lined a 1/48 VF-1S with the same exact marker that you used and got finger rubbing to work fine on it. But like David said it does work better right away than letting it dry. When I do let it dry for too long I use the Gundam Marker Remover (http://hlj.com/product/GNZGM300)but have never tried it over painted parts so maybe test that before trying it.

This is quite strange and I feel sad about this.

How does the V.2 VF-1D look panel lined? Can you post some pics?

miriya,

the 1/48 yamato vf-1 plastic is very different from the 1/60 ver 2 vf-1 (as dobber used it on his vf-1d)

i just want to warn anyone here about being misled,

into thinking of using the gundam marker on their 1/60 ver 2 vf-1

if anyone can show that they can easily rub off marker lines from their 1/60 ver 2 vf-1,

i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

miriya,

the 1/48 yamato vf-1 plastic is very different from the 1/60 ver 2 vf-1 (as dobber used it on his vf-1d)

i just want to warn anyone here about being misled,

into thinking of using the gundam marker on their 1/60 ver 2 vf-1

if anyone can show that they can easily rub off marker lines from their 1/60 ver 2 vf-1,

i'd be happy to be proven wrong.

That is very interesting indeed. I was thinking about panel lining my VF-1D with the same gundam marker.

I wonder if I am careful enough not to make mistakes if it would look good?

Don't do it, miriya, you'll be sorry. I tried it on my V2 Roy's wing section and I used testor's paint thinner (It was either that or Acrylic paint thinner, I can't remember which) to thankfully remove it.

NOTHING else would work, not spit nor rubbing alcohol would work.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

One thing to note is that Gundam marker (GM02) is lacquer based. Since it's lacquer-based I think it tends to eat more into the plastic.

There's another Gundam marker used for panel lining and it has the code GM21. This one is acrylic based with a felt tip point. It comes off much easier than GM02 and is pretty much advertised as a "wipe off" type. I've used it to good effect on a 1/144 gashapon F-15 Eagle.

Just a warning on using Gundam marker eraser pen. The thinner inside Gundam marker eraser pen is pretty strong stuff. It could probably easily strip away paint and markings on your Yamato. I would advise not to use it on your Yamato.