Official Bandai 1/72 Scale Macross Frontier Model Kit Thread Ver.2

Graham

well, for diorama scenes or displays like what alfye has, the ACTION BASE 1 CLEAR (JPY 440 at Rainbow Ten) is just right, since with proper "camouflage" you can hide it well. of course if you plan to display it stand-alone or side by side other VF-25's then you can't go wrong with the upcoming S.M.S. Action Base.

well, for diorama scenes or displays like what alfye has, the ACTION BASE 1 CLEAR (JPY 440 at Rainbow Ten) is just right, since with proper "camouflage" you can hide it well. of course if you plan to display it stand-alone or side by side other VF-25's then you can't go wrong with the upcoming S.M.S. Action Base.

KK, sounds good. I think I'll just pick up an SMS base then. Now all that's left is to choose a grade of sand paper to make it look extra nice...

those interested in the clear VF-25, it's now floating around yahoo auctions japan between 5000-7000 yen. there were also a few more left at amazon jp for 6800yen for outright purchase, and another bunch at 9000yen. shipping is only within japan though, so if you have any friends in japan, now's the time to pull for a favor.

The cost of clear VF-25 is now around 4500-5000 yen at Yahoo Japan Auction due to too many clear VF-25 on sell at the same time.

KK, sounds good. I think I'll just pick up an SMS base then. Now all that's left is to choose a grade of sand paper to make it look extra nice...

To sand the nubs off, first cut as close as possible with a sharp hobby knife, then I usually use 600 grit sandpaper to smooth, then 1000 grit to polish. I usually paint my models so I don't go for 100% smoothness. Some people use up to 2000 grit to get all the scratch marks off, but I find it irritating to do that.

To sand the nubs off, first cut as close as possible with a sharp hobby knife, then I usually use 600 grit sandpaper to smooth, then 1000 grit to polish. I usually paint my models so I don't go for 100% smoothness. Some people use up to 2000 grit to get all the scratch marks off, but I find it irritating to do that.

Sounds good. Honestly, I usually don't sand my models down, but I want the Luca to look extra nice. I'm pretty good at getting them smooth with an exacto, but it does leave little "scratch" marks. I'll pick up some of that high grit sand paper.

Sounds good. Honestly, I usually don't sand my models down, but I want the Luca to look extra nice. I'm pretty good at getting them smooth with an exacto, but it does leave little "scratch" marks. I'll pick up some of that high grit sand paper.

this thread has a lot of suggestions for sanding:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28709

hope that helps ^_^

this thread has a lot of suggestions for sanding:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28709

hope that helps ^_^

Nice. I actually stopped by Walmart today of all places and picked up a nice $5 flush cutter tool. That thing works great! Seriously, some pieces are almost cut perfectly flush with very little left for me to etch off with an exacto (I have actually had trouble finding where the sprues were on some pieces of the Gundam kit I'm building). They have a green handle and are "flush" cutters on the little package. I'll try sanding a little tomorrow to see if I can do it effectively or if I'll just be super careful on the Luca and Super parts. I know colored plastic always tends to score/scratch way worse than white plastic...(and for good reason, it's hard to see scoring on it since it's already white)

Alright, I just bought the Clear VF-25F to try something new and it should arrive in a few weeks. I want to know if there are any special tips for building clear models? Do I treat the whole thing like a massive, multi-pieced canopy? Is giving it a gloss coat of future a good thing, or will it just make the kit 'disappear' and make it look like I have decals floating in mid air? Any help will be appreciated!

Alright, I just bought the Clear VF-25F to try something new and it should arrive in a few weeks. I want to know if there are any special tips for building clear models? Do I treat the whole thing like a massive, multi-pieced canopy? Is giving it a gloss coat of future a good thing, or will it just make the kit 'disappear' and make it look like I have decals floating in mid air? Any help will be appreciated!

In my experience, clear/crystal kits are more brittle than the regular versions. So yeah, take care not to apply excessive pressure, and watch the sprue gates as you cut them; I've had a few clear kits that were notched at the nubs because I cut too flush to the surface of the part.

I haven't tried applying paint or coating to my clear kits though. :)

...Can't wait for the VF-25G!...

Me too!

I´m going to skip February kits, except one simple SuperPack for my VF-25S, and anxious wait for the VF-25G with his rifle, his Loudspeakers and mini Ranka!!!

post-10806-1233333755_thumb.jpg

But the bad news is that we have no news of Mikhail´s kit...

Me too!

I´m going to skip February kits, except one simple SuperPack for my VF-25S, and anxious wait for the VF-25G with his rifle, his Loudspeakers and mini Ranka!!!

I don't think the speakers and Ranka have been confirmed yet. It would indeed be great if they were included. Michel's VF has a release in March (see post by IXTL).

lol... jeez. That mounted gunpod in fighter mode has such low clearance. How would it even take off without dragging a trench through a runway. Oh well, more than I can say for the DX Mikhail.

People didn't read this line...They just look at the pictures.

New magazines should be coming out in 1.5 weeks so we may get word of a VF-25G kit then.

People didn't read this line...They just look at the pictures.

New magazines should be coming out in 1.5 weeks so we may get word of a VF-25G kit then.

What? I was busy looking at the pretty planes.

Meh, I'm not quite sure whether or not to put this here, but I figured since there are a lot of first time modelers and the like that end up looking here and since I'm not going to like do some comprehensive review...

In any case, yeah, I'm pretty much a guy who hasn't done any models (and even when I did, I was pretty much only doing the old Gundam 1/144 scale and a plane or two here and there and usually without any additional things other than just snapping it together and leaving it there) for a couple of years now. Looking over the reviews and the comments, I decided to pretty much just go what the heck and go have a go at the VF-25S Ozma Custom. Used a Tamiya Side Cutter + Gundam Black Markers for a light shade of panel lines (sadly, they went lighter than anticipated, but I felt they were decent enough for a first time job. X_x) and planned on a clear coat, but decided against it. Attached are some pics.

Alas, I'd say the instructions look harder than it really is, and that I felt that the kit was pretty straight forward, even for those peeps who haven't done any modeling for a bit. From time to time there was the typical "hard to fit in part," and one or two steps that took a few minutes to get the hang of, but yeah. As anticipated, my plane didn't quite come out perfect, I struggled slightly with the head assembly area (fitting it in and the likes), so my plane parts aren't perfectly aligned per say and not all the parts "fit snugly" (you guys'll probably see that, it's mostly the side and wing area + the gun on the bottom seems to make it slightly tilted). I'll get the SMS stand in the coming weeks.

In any case, I took about 16 hours on the kit and well, while I won't be transforming it anytime soon per say, overall, I'm quite satisfied and just wanted to say to those people that look to this post and wonder to get this or not because of no/little modeling experience, shouldn't be scared off by it. Ums, yeah. Oh, and perhaps I wasn't the only one with a slight piece popping out a bit on the side? O_o

post-9601-1233464679_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1233464736_thumb.jpg

post-9601-1233465414_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZeroStriker

Everyone gets the hip gun piece poppin out, it's perfectly normal, but we've noticed on some kits it's a lot better than others. Mine pop out...there are members who have modified some of their kits so it looks better.

But don't worry about first time modeling...with experince, trial and error you get better.

I wouldn't of gotten to where I am in my modeling skills without trying things out and correcting my mistakes in the next kit.

Like I use to have a lot of problems doing the black of the canopy hatch, now I can do it without even a smudge, and I don't even use tweezers.

Congrats on your first attempt! With the plethora of kits coming out now you have no problem building more and improving as you go along! As for the hip guns I have a suggestion that may result in a slight improvment in the positioning--- you'll notice on the kit that the lower part of the fuselage that connects to the legs is hinged, and it locks into place. What you do is pull out only that lower part so that it unlocks, then position your legs exactly where they should be, with the hip guns all in place, and then lock the fuselage part. Hope it helps!

Yeah, at this point, I'd think I'll leave the kit as is, Lol, to avoid some mishandling or anything from poppin anything into place too hard or improperly. I'll definately take a look at the VF-25G perhaps, hopefully doing a better job with that now that I got the basic construction down. =D

Yep yep.. the good thing about Bandai releases is that there are always a few re-colours that will be released so that you can improve with each kit and yet not feel that guilty about buying the same kit over and over again!

Has anyone bought the clear version VF-25F, or any of the February releases? I want to know if the sheryl decal really comes with every kit.

People, 1/72 VF-25F Messiah Valkyrie Michel Custom is now available for pre-order at HLJ, priced at 4.500. Early Bird discount in effect till February 8th, price 4.275. To be released in April.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958497

Now, if they would just release Brera's VF-27 and that sweet Vajra model that appears in the Expo display's...

Yep yep.. the good thing about Bandai releases is that there are always a few re-colours that will be released so that you can improve with each kit and yet not feel that guilty about buying the same kit over and over again!

Has anyone bought the clear version VF-25F, or any of the February releases? I want to know if the sheryl decal really comes with every kit.

I am starting to question the same thing. The decal seems to be included on several auctions on yahoo.co.jp, but it is never seen in the box. Could it be that it is given separately with the kit? See attached picture. In that case unscrupulous sellers might sell it off separately. :angry:

On a positive note, here are some pictures I found on an auction and from Gespenst.

post-6333-1233604430_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604441_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604459_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604492_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604506_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604521_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604538_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604552_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604566_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604571_thumb.jpg

post-6333-1233604575_thumb.jpg

Im not sure if anyone has realised this but I would like to point out what i think is going to be a major problem for the armored pack. if u look at the bulky legs of the VF and compare that to the way the fuselage all fits together you should notice that there isnt enough space for the additional girth of the legs to fit properly in fighter mode as the current and super pack variation manges to avoid applying bulk to the insides of the legs which meets with the arms. some food for thought maybe? it would take some serious engineering or we could just be fed an ill fitting kit lawl.

Edited by onderon