Bandai/Tamashi Nations 1/100 lineup. 2009 takeoff!

UN Spacy

Is there a VF-4 transformation schematic anywhere?

Good question. There was that SHE transformable kit so it is definitely physically possible. Of course the questions are if it is transforming according to Kawamori's plan or not and if it will look great in all modes.

I am happy to get a 1/100 transforming VF-4 partsformer from Bandai but I would MUCH rather be getting a 1/60 PT from Yamato.

Hmm... I can't wait to see how the VF-4 would work.. I have a hard time believing that thing's transformation is even possible, let alone PT. That leg mechanism looks like detachable legs would almost be a must before it would work.

That's not to say I'm not gonna snatch up each and every one of these though. ^_^ Depending on how they work, I may just display them all in fighter mode anyway.

Edited by Chronocidal

I still don't get how the legs transform into battroid. I can get the gerwalk well enough. Looks like the arms will be swapped out too because I can't see how it transforms without the shoulders getting in the way as it is. The shoulder must be hollow to fit the upper arm mechanism but that's about it.

I hope the price is not really going to be in the $40-$48 range. That is a lot for a small figure. The Toynami 1/100 VF-1s are about $17-$20 a piece, but they are kind of low in details and quality. If these Bandai ones have sturdy build with superior details, I can see $30-$35 a piece being somewhat reasonable.

I hope the price is not really going to be in the $40-$48 range. That is a lot for a small figure. The Toynami 1/100 VF-1s are about $17-$20 a piece, but they are kind of low in details and quality. If these Bandai ones have sturdy build with superior details, I can see $30-$35 a piece being somewhat reasonable.

I second this motion! <_<

here's and excellent build of a SHE model from years ago...it is possible, and this model is 1/100 perfect transformation, there are great pics on pages 1 and 2

CLICK ME

thanks for that link, really nice vf-4... if someone was able to do that in '06, bandai should have no excuses making the vf-4 by next year.

... but that's some funky transformation... arms and legs near the middle of the wings???

Edited by m0n5t3r

Thanks for those pics, I never knew that kit existed :)

I guess my main thought about it though... even if PT is possible, the plane isn't :lol:

The way the legs work leaves almost no room in that thing for engines at all. The VF-4 is kind of unique in that way.. since most Valks have the hip/leg/foot assembly formed from the full intake/engine/nozzle parts, it's not so hard to imagine the engine being located mainly in the lower leg section. Since the intake is actually at the knee joint on the VF-4, it makes things a whole lot more complicated in terms of internal components. There's obviously no room for an engine in that kit, and I wonder if it'd even be possible to fit one in there with the way that mechanism works.

On another note, just curious... are there any other Valks where the cockpit remains facing forward like the VF-4?

VF-4's very unique in its transformation, almost as much as the YF-21. It's one of the many ways it's awesome.

PS--in addition to his excellent VF-4 build, vf_1s also did a very cool mod to a 1/48: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...c=19980&hl=

PPS---I think there's no way to having working landing gear in a transforming VF-4, period. I doubt even Yamato in 1/60 could do that. Main issue is the nose gear. The ventral fin has to retract up into that area, the cockpit recesses down into the area, and then the whole nosecone slides back along a joint in the area... If you want gear in a VF-4, there's got to be SOME parts swapping.

Ah, so the fin does fold in and there is a joint for the nose to slide along. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure what with the sinking cockpit and there not being much space for the fin and cockpit...

Hot damn I want a VF-4. Aw hell, I might just get one even if it is a partsformer. I'll just leave it in fighter mode. And as a partsformer, it better look damned good in fighter and battroid.

Gosh. You guys are right about the VF-4 Battroid being an afterthought.

She's kinda fugly. My hopes for a perfect transformation 1/60 just went down a few notches.

Gosh. You guys are right about the VF-4 Battroid being an afterthought.

She's kinda fugly. My hopes for a perfect transformation 1/60 just went down a few notches.

The SHE model suffered in battroid mode.

Hopefully Bandai will make sure theirs does not.

The VF-4 Battroid mode is gorgeous and should look like this...

vf-4-battroid.gif

The main thing is that no kit so far has had the canopy recess, and that REALLY messes with how the battroid mode looks.

I expect that to be one of the parts to swap. (or actually, simply remove it entirely for battroid mode)

Also, the SHE has very "square" legs for some reason, the IHP did better there.

One of the maing things that I see that's wrong with the VF-4 is the nose on the one in the SHE/fan kit is too long. A shorter nose would look much better IMO.

Also, if the VF-25 is gonna be as big as the Mac+ valks, then they can make it PT and there really shouldn't be too much problem with the "it's too small of a scale" excuse. Bandai can do it, it's just a matter of IF they want to do or take the cheap way out that won't please as many people (and won't make me want to pay more than $30-ish).

The main thing is that no kit so far has had the canopy recess, and that REALLY messes with how the battroid mode looks.

I expect that to be one of the parts to swap. (or actually, simply remove it entirely for battroid mode)

I'd rather have a slightly incorrect valk with perfect transformation. I'm looking at the SHE kit trying to figure out the transformation...I wonder if it's even possible to push that canopy down without hitting some other mechanism required for transformation.

They already did do it with the original prototype, but they said that the hinges were too fragile.

I wonder why. Why are those hinges so fragile when the tail fins hinge on the Toynami 1/100 aren't. I mean, there's a pretty big bulge on the bottom of those VF-25 tail fins -- perfect place for a hinge.

With the SHE and IHP--nope, pushing the canopy down would interfere with both the nose and ventral fin.

Overall, the SHE is way better than the IHP, but the IHP has better-shaped lower legs IMHO. Here's the rarely-seen IHP variable VF-4: http://www.wwwmwww.com/VF-4G/

I wonder why. Why are those hinges so fragile when the tail fins hinge on the Toynami 1/100 aren't. I mean, there's a pretty big bulge on the bottom of those VF-25 tail fins -- perfect place for a hinge.

I think they mean those hinges and more, necessary for transformation, it might just not be the hinges, it might be the mechanisms overall at that scale. If parts swapping keeps the toy extremely solid and durable, then I guess its for the best at that scale.

I still prefer PT though.

I think they mean those hinges and more, necessary for transformation, it might just not be the hinges, it might be the mechanisms overall at that scale. If parts swapping keeps the toy extremely solid and durable, then I guess its for the best at that scale.

I still prefer PT though.

But from what someone said, these are as big as the Mac+ Valks (which I assume they mean the 1/72 ones). If they are that dang big, then there is no reason the hinges should be weak. Heck, they could even use some metal hinges for the weak ones. It really just seems to me like they are trying to rush a product to market or take the easy way out instead of actually thinking it through...

Edited by protostar8

But from what someone said, these are as big as the Mac+ Valks (which I assume they mean the 1/72 ones).

I was the one who said that they were as big as the Macross Plus valks, but what I meant was that they are just as big, in the same scale. For example if you placed a 1/100 YF-21 or YF-19 next to a 1/100 VF-25, the 25 would be close in size.

I think can accept parts-formring for the VF100s line as long as they (a) look great, and (b) most importantly, they lock together well in all three modes.

I really hope they are not like the transforming GFF toys, e.g Z-Plus, where they don't lock together real well and parts constantly fall off if you breath on them wrong.

Graham

If parts swapping keeps the toy extremely solid and durable, then I guess its for the best at that scale.

No it's not. :angry:

I'm telling you the universe will come through for us if you just believe, damn it! :D

I think they mean those hinges and more, necessary for transformation, it might just not be the hinges, it might be the mechanisms overall at that scale.

I was just talking about the tail fin hinges, so there. :p Specifically, tell me why those won't work.

Edited by danth