Who had the manliest death in Macross?

manliest death  

141 members have voted

1. 1. which macross character had the manliest death?

• Roy Focker (SDFM)
    • Roy Focker (DYRL)
    • Guld Goa Bowman
    • D.D. Ivanova
    • Micheal Blanc
    • Gigile

Oh hush you fuzzy whatchamacallit, so I only noticed it now...

I'm a Gyararashi, thank you very much. *Mreep*

EDIT: Thank goodness they covered Mylene in the second issue of Macross Chronicle...I wouldn't have remembered otherwise... :ph34r:

Edited by Gubaba

I'm a Gyararashi, thank you very much. *Mreep*

EDIT: Thank goodness they covered Mylene in the second issue of Macross Chronicle...I wouldn't have remembered otherwise... :ph34r:

Too much Nanase on the brain. :lol:

Maybe you should change your handle to Ai-kun seeing that it at least gets occasionally caught in a Nanase x Ranka sandwich. :ph34r:

Edited by d3v

Nah, everyone would start flaming me for killing Michael. :wacko:

nah. for michael's death, i think all the flame is being reserved for the first one who will use the handle "ranka". :p

EDIT: whoa! guld bowman suddenly took the lead. just like a yf21 coming from behind! :)

Edited by dreamweaver13

In going towards the decision of manliest death, I also keep in mind that Guld is a mentally unstable guy that either a) sexually assaulted the woman he loved, or B) raped the woman he loved (which happened is a hotly debatable topic). Guld's got too much bad baggage to redeem.

On the other hand, Michel managed to overcome his fears and declare his love to Klan Klan after having successfully protected her. The worst that Michel has is chasing after other women in a non-permanent relationship manner.

.. In going towards the decision of manliest death, I also keep in mind that Guld is a mentally unstable guy that either a) sexually assaulted the woman he loved, or B) raped the woman he loved (which happened is a hotly debatable topic). Guld's got too much bad baggage to redeem...

Guld and Myung did it later on, if he actually raped her i doubt she'd even want to be in the visable area as him let alone let him touch her, she was too easily swayed, being upset maybe helped them get it on, but i truly believe he didn't go as far as rape, sure he tried to kill her, ripped her clothes while doing so, just not as far as rape. Isamu is just too cool headed for him to just let him get away with what he did (relating to possible rape). He'd have more hate wouldn't one think?

Take his mini missile fury at Isamu in the last dogfight between them, he was really pissed and let loose just the same when he caught Isamu and Myung together (what were they doing? just hugging and talking?), brought him straight back to the place where he comes back to reality with him seeing himself in the mirror.

No rapeage, champs.

He didn't have to redeem himself any further than his kamikazi with the X-9. Prefer him to have lived though. :-(

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Guld has too much baggage? That all depends. I took "who had the manliest death" as who has the toughest, most testosterone, all business, all guts, all glory death.

That's Guld.

If you take manly to be some kind of mark of righteousnous, valour, redemption, moral value, etc. then that's too much extra stuff.

Edited by ComicKaze

Personally, the part I find manly in Michel's demise was how he continued fighting even after he received the fatal stab.

Although I believe I did vote for Roy (DYRL).

Edited by d3v

Guld has too much baggage? That all depends. I took "who had the manliest death" as who has the toughest, most testosterone, all business, all guts, all glory death.

That's Guld.

If you take manly to be some kind of mark of righteousnous, valour, redemption, moral value, etc. then that's too much extra stuff.

well... I would say that while 'the toughest, most testosterone, all business, all guts, all glory death' is certainly manly, to truly be the most manly death it has to also incorporate righteousness and/or valor. redemption can be considered as a subset of valor, but in comparison to the pure chivalry of sacrificing oneself to defend the defenseless (and klan was utterly defenseless while in the cloning tube), I would say that Guld's redemption should earn him a well deserved second place finish, as while he did sacrifice himself, isamu was far from defenseless, and myung's status was unknown to them at the time - as it turns out she was far from defenseless herself.

Michel. Man, the way he took out that vajra after being stabbed is beyond manly. And like what many of you has said, the way he gave klan the answer she wanted. Not to mention with diamond crevasse playing in the background, damn, it was too good. I mean, unlike focker or guld's death, I really felt this one. My heart virtually sank when michel went flying out into space, and I wanted to shout out his name like what alto did. Again, its the song that separates this from the rest.

Michel. Man, the way he took out that vajra after being stabbed is beyond manly. And like what many of you has said, the way he gave klan the answer she wanted. Not to mention with diamond crevasse playing in the background, damn, it was too good. I mean, unlike focker or guld's death, I really felt this one. My heart virtually sank when michel went flying out into space, and I wanted to shout out his name like what alto did. Again, its the song that separates this from the rest.

Well, Guld took out the Ghost after his YF-21 badly beaten, his gut is crushed, eyes tored out and he did it in style and also received a cold funeral as he wander endlessly in space. I wonder if Michel cold vacuumed body will orbit Island 1 as Guld did so Klan and Alto could salute him.

well... I would say that while 'the toughest, most testosterone, all business, all guts, all glory death' is certainly manly, to truly be the most manly death it has to also incorporate righteousness and/or valor. redemption can be considered as a subset of valor, but in comparison to the pure chivalry of sacrificing oneself to defend the defenseless (and klan was utterly defenseless while in the cloning tube), I would say that Guld's redemption should earn him a well deserved second place finish, as while he did sacrifice himself, Isamu was far from defenseless, and Myung's status was unknown to them at the time - as it turns out she was far from defenseless herself.

That's why I can't vote in this poll. Michael selflessly give his life to protect someone he loved.That's truly manly.But so did Guld.Albeit his death was more gruesome and painful IMHO. Even if he didn't know Myung's status, and even if Isamu was far defenseless, he also sacrificed himself for some one he loves(two people if you account that he had brotherly love for Isamu) .Too me, this is trying to compare who loved who more,when they gave there life up to protect the ones they loved.

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Looks like Guld is in the lead right now. Despite having only 4 episodes / 1 movie, looks like his character's death is still memorable even after 7, Zero and Frontier... have to admit it sure is something :) One more thing for Guld - he died for a woman who doesn't love him and perhaps only pities him. Would you, with all your manliness, die for a woman like that (who also happens to love your bestfriend)? If you say yes, then hats off to you :)

Edited by mike_s_6

Looks like Guld is in the lead right now. Despite having only 4 episodes / 1 movie, looks like his character's death is still memorable even after 7, Zero and Frontier... have to admit it sure is something :) One more thing for Guld - he died for a woman who doesn't love him and perhaps only pities him. Would you, with all your manliness, die for a woman like that (who also happens to love your bestfriend)? If you say yes, then hats off to you :)

To be fair, she did spend the night with him, and he didn't hear Sharon say "I love Guld, but I love Isamu even more."

Although I think that once his memories came back, he had enough awareness to realize she would never come back to him...so why not die protecting her? That way, he could redeem himself in her eyes and go down knowing that his death would have meaning for the people he loved the most, and had hurt the deepest.

It's pure, classic chivalry.

To be fair, she did spend the night with him, and he didn't hear Sharon say "I love Guld, but I love Isamu even more."

Although I think that once his memories came back, he had enough awareness to realize she would never come back to him...so why not die protecting her? That way, he could redeem himself in her eyes and go down knowing that his death would have meaning for the people he loved the most, and had hurt the deepest.

It's pure, classic chivalry.

I actually put "he died for a woman who doesn't love him as much as she loved his best friend" and then I chopped it up, because I thought it looked like a running sentence. Which I just realized, by the way I cut it, made it inaccurate :p

EDIT: Looking at the time, I need to sleep :p

Edited by mike_s_6

I actually put "he died for a woman who doesn't love him as much as she loved his best friend" and then I chopped it up, because I thought it looked like a running sentence. Which I just realized, by the way I cut it, made it inaccurate :p

EDIT: Looking at the time, I need to sleep :p

Enh, it may have been chopped up, but I understood your point.

Sweet (spritia) dreaming!

Sharon knew Myung's feelings better than Myung herself in ways lol, so Myung did love him. Just that Isamu was more exciting in ways, coz he wanted more than her.

He was probably wasted during most of 0 also! Just goes to show Claudia made him soft, he no longer could handle the juice while "fightin a war" :p

It's the LaSalle family curse, destined to survive while those around them get killed off, or at the very least, get pulled into space in a wrecked valkyrie..

Edited by d3v

Gave this one to Guld by a squeaker, but the temptation to vote for Michel was there as well. I had to step back and think "in 5 years, when we next get a dramatic main character death in a Macross series, who will we be comparing it to?" I think that Guld will still be the benchmark against which we compare the unfortunate character's death scene, and Michel will be more of an "honorable mention" at that point. Heck, we're already doing that with Focker's death now, and it was the original scene that really proved Macross wasn't just playing games.

Guld had a little more control over his situation than Michel did. He actively persuaded Isamu to leave the field of battle after a prolonged dogfight and go save Myung, then went on to take the Ghost X-9 out personally without the benefit of a wingman. He experienced a moment of final clarity, chose to redeem himself, and to let go of the woman he loved because it was the right thing to do.

Michel, while heroic, made a snap decision to save Klan - and honestly, if he hadn't, we'd be writing a much different thread right now (and MisaForever would be inconsolable). His actions were heroic, but also more "tragic" because of how they played out, but it can't really be said whether he would have chosen his fate or not, since it was such a quick, reactionary decision that he had to make in an out-of-control situation. I get the feeling that SDFM Focker would fit this bill as well - a very "tragic" death, while incredibly heroic - but not a fate he really chose for himself going in. And the "grieving lover seeing them die right before her eyes" also adds to the magnitude of the scene, we can't discount that as a motivating factor for why some of us might find those deaths particularly powerful.

All of the characters I've mentioned demonstrated what it means to be "manly," and have certainly been carried by the Valkyries (pun intended) to the pantheon of legendary Macross heroes... Macross Valhalla, if you will. And I certainly don't feel that any of them will be remembered as anything but a true hero who did the right thing at the cost of his own life.

Michel went out fighting, and got to tell the 60 foot tall chick that he loved her. That's a pretty decent death, in my opinion.

I think that its an OUTSTANDING death. If only all those who died in war were able to make it count in such a way.

It was similar to the death of one of the characters in the film Dark Star (the one who went floating off with the phoenix asteroids) as well as the death of South Burning in Stardust Memory.

Taksraven

i felt conflicted between DYRL? Roy's death and Michel, I thought that Roy's death in SDF was just stupid, if he had gone to the emergency room after getting off the fighter he might have survived, DD's was just meant to be cause he was supposed to be a bad guy "antagonist to our hero Roy" and Gigile and Guld's were more like a redemption death.

In the end I went with Michel's death.

Correct. The only parts you missed was the way he disappeared like a star/meteor/comet in the distance (how sad) and then, right at the VERY end, just when you think that things could not get any sadder, the final shot of Michel's smashed glasses on the floor. (this shot was similar to the one of Gendo's broken glasses in Evangelion, but the context is different) Truly heartbreaking, but brilliant and enjoyable as well in a strange way. Very few character deaths in any show are set out this well.

Taksraven

Edited by taksraven

AFAIK, there are no Tragic Heroine death on Macross universe right? :huh: Unlike Gundam UC where nearly all the female pilots are killed, Macross female pilots are capable to survive until the end, so Sheryl must became a VF-25 pilot ^_^