Who had the manliest death in Macross?

manliest death  

141 members have voted

1. 1. which macross character had the manliest death?

• Roy Focker (SDFM)
    • Roy Focker (DYRL)
    • Guld Goa Bowman
    • D.D. Ivanova
    • Micheal Blanc
    • Gigile

Another for Guld:

He just realized how the woman he loved and best friend pitied his situation, how he ruined their friendship, and then was man enough to be sorry for it. And even after realizing that, stood to defend them, which caused his death. And... ouch for his death. His whole body must have caved in.

Question though, what do you guys mean by a "manly death", and what makes one more manly than the other? Or is this just subjective?

That is exactly why I have to go with Guld too. Guld did it to redeem himself. Not only he shown to us that he was a man, but more importantly an human being realising and admitting his mistake. Guld died from a humble death unlike Michel who did it to prove that he had a bigger p*nis than Alto.

P.S. : I seriously hope that Alto will die in a fashion way like Guld. Alto deserves a honorable death too.

where are you guys getting this??? michel wasnt out to prove anything to alto or anybody else - he leapt without hesitation to defend klan, got impaled, and without hesitation leapt to defend her again, which got him sucked out into the void.

thoughts of his own survival - not there at all. the only thing that mattered to him right then was protecting her. utterly selfless IMHO. Alto would have been right there with him if there weren't more bugs breaking down the door. all LUCA could do was stand there next to Ranka - he didnt even try to assist. I agree with others... Luca should have bought it instead. however, this only means that he now needs to atone for his inaction, and perhaps grow to be more than the namby excuse for a guy that he is. no wonder nanase doesn't actually see him. but then she has been little more than a footnote herself.

By contrast, guld's descision to kamikaze the ghost was much more of a rational choice. to be perfectly honest, he didnt have to kill it.. all that was needed was for him to buy time long enough so that Isamu could get to myung and deal with Sharon, at which point the ghost would have dropped like a fly.

By contrast, guld's descision to kamikaze the ghost was much more of a rational choice. to be perfectly honest, he didnt have to kill it.. all that was needed was for him to buy time long enough so that Isamu could get to myung and deal with Sharon, at which point the ghost would have dropped like a fly.

Maybe it was rational, but he was having one hell of a challenge taking on that Ghost. Even before he busted out the Limit Break mode, Guld had already lost one of his FP bellyplates. I don't think he could've played the "delay game" with the Ghost for too long.

Plus, I don't think Guld wanted to leave anything to chance. Heck, the stupid Ghost left things to chance after it "just" disabled the -21's arms and legs.

Guld did the "manly" thing: he finished the job and made sure he finished it completely.

As for the poll, I'm going with SDFM Roy's death. Impossible as hell, yes.

BUT Roy never screamed like a bitch throughout any part of it, he lugged his ass all the way to his love, never complained, beared the pain so silently that even Claudia didn't notice, and even chilled and played some guitar.

Sucking it up, dying quietly, and trying to do it in a way that minimizes your loved ones' pain: THAT'S THE MANLY WAY TO DIE! :p

Maybe it was rational, but he was having one hell of a challenge taking on that Ghost. Even before he busted out the Limit Break mode, Guld had already lost one of his FP bellyplates. I don't think he could've played the "delay game" with the Ghost for too long.

Plus, I don't think Guld wanted to leave anything to chance. Heck, the stupid Ghost left things to chance after it "just" disabled the -21's arms and legs.

Guld did the "manly" thing: he finished the job and made sure he finished it completely.

What you wrote make me respect Guld death even more now. So you are so right : Guld get the job done done no matter what the cost. Thanks for writing this dude. ^_^

Guld, there's no contest.

A quick note about GAR. It actually really comes from "Gay for Archer" a character from Fate Stay Night that was sort of flanderized (although only just a bit) in terms of his manly manliness. Since then, it's devolved a bit to include less GAR-worthy characters but such is the way of the Internets.

Michel wasn't planning to die, he was just getting cocky and after he got stabbed he got really mad and finally realized what was really important.

Guld - that man is pure guts.

Just as coache says, "only through hard work and guts" can you achieve your goals. :p

Guld, paying up all of his mistake and taking down his enemy at the same time. Not to mention the only pilot in Macross universe to be able to pull the craziest maneuver ever.

I did not take part in the poll, due to the fact , that I feel 3 people up there deserve the title.

First is Roy from DYRL. Taking out a Zentran, while being crushed, incurring internal injuries (hemorrhaging, bleeding etc.) and saving your friends, bad ass. Taking out said Zentron by firing your gunpod at his back while he's facing you. even more badass.Then to top it off, your valk explodes, while your still barly alive. That's a manly death.

Second is Guld. In order to atone for his past transgressions and to save/help Isamu and Myung. He takes the limiter off the YF-21 to take out the Sharon controlled Ghost. Pushes the YF-21 to breaking point, going waaaay past the amount of G's and normal human/zentron can, and pretty much crushed his innards and popped an eye, but still kept at it till his target was destroyed. Never will ther be a pilot able to do what he did. That is not only manly, but legendary.

Third. Well I just finished watching MF 20, and saw poor Micheal die saving Klan. What makes this manly to me, is that he did it to save something really important to him. Call me lame, call me Corny, call me old fashioned; but to me, sacrificing yourself for someone or something you truly love, is a manly (or even womanly, had any roles been reversed)way to go out. I am currently sad because of Michaels death, but at least he got to die doing something most noble, saving the woman he loves.My only regret is that it took him so long to admit he loved Klan, and that when he finally did, he was killed. Rest in peace Micheal, God speed.And have fun with Roy and Guld at the bar. B))

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Can't vote on this one. I will say that I feel that Guld got a big helping hand from the BDI/BDS systems and that was what allowed him to push himself so far, and that's the only thing that takes away from from him winning hands down. Now if he had done all that with with a stick and throttle in his hands that would give him the win for sure. After talking about this poll with my brothers we feel that one of the manliest death in Macross was by that one CF VF-1A in DYRL, the pilot who checked out in the background when Hikaru is talking to Minmay and the sound dies down only to have the roar of a gun pod cut in and he goes out in a blaze of fire. We always crank the volume WAY up for that. (kinda amazed no one has called the cops on us yet, got a huge sound system!)

Can't vote on this one. I will say that I feel that Guld got a big helping hand from the BDI/BDS systems and that was what allowed him to push himself so far, and that's the only thing that takes away from from him winning hands down. Now if he had done all that with with a stick and throttle in his hands that would give him the win for sure. After talking about this poll with my brothers we feel that one of the manliest death in Macross was by that one CF VF-1A in DYRL, the pilot who checked out in the background when Hikaru is talking to Minmay and the sound dies down only to have the roar of a gun pod cut in and he goes out in a blaze of fire. We always crank the volume WAY up for that. (kinda amazed no one has called the cops on us yet, got a huge sound system!)

The second coming (and second death) of Kakizaki?

Hmmm...that one always made me laugh.

But you've got me thinking...what about the poor schmuck on the Macross who got decapitated? That's a pretty manly way to go...

But you've got me thinking...what about the poor schmuck on the Macross who got decapitated? That's a pretty manly way to go...

That made you laugh, really? Oh well, to each his own. I guess what I like about it was that to me it seemed like he took a hit meant for the Macross and maybe a hit that would have killed Hikaru and Minmay and that would have ended the movie right there.

Edited by hobbes221

That made you laugh, really? Oh well, to each his own. I guess what I like about it was that to me it seemed like he took a hit meant for the Macross and maybe a hit that would have killed Hikaru and Minmay and that would have ended the movie right there.

Bear in mind that I was twelve when I first saw the movie...big emotional scene, everything's silent...and then this guy comes out of nowhere and gets blown up.

I never really thought he was saving our main characters' lives...but, now that you mention it, its perfectly possible. And I've gained new respect for Kakizaki Reborn. :)

Kakizaki?

I'd like to think he was Machida's grandfather. both had their moments, but dead just the same. :)

Bear in mind that I was twelve when I first saw the movie...big emotional scene, everything's silent...and then this guy comes out of nowhere and gets blown up.

I never really thought he was saving our main characters' lives...but, now that you mention it, its perfectly possible. And I've gained new respect for Kakizaki Reborn. :)

Glad to help! :)

Edited by hobbes221

LOL, hey Myung has some nice boobs too, don't hate.

too true... boobs aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I prefer women with long, well toned legs myself (I've always had a thing for climbing trees

:ph34r: ), and a good, equal balance between boobs and butt

- sheryl, macro klan (even considering the boobage, as they are meltrandi stock, so less likely to ever yield to gravity), sara and misa fit my bill. girls like nanase really dont float my boat.

real life-wise, look to the japanese contender in the miss universe contest, Hiroko Mima on youtube, and you will see where my tastes lie ^^.

Edited by Shaka_Z

You mean this unfortunate fellow, right? :unsure:

s6sow5.png

d2qn4.png

Now that you mention it. IT does seem that this poor fellow had a VERY MANLY DEATH. :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

Amen to that I was also going to say any pilot in a CF, is the manliest death. No fan fare, no sappy love song, just bang your dead...... Very manly!

I hearby nominate DYRL Kakizaki for manliest death!

Going out with a smile! girlish giggle!