Macross Frontier Episode 17 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 17 Rating  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 17 Rating

• Positive (I want my Pinapple Salad!!!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (You had your pinapple salad 26 years ago and you didn't like it)

This episode is probably one of the best homage ever.

Poor VF-171, from zero to hero, now back to zero again T.T

BTW, anyeone else feel betrayed when Ozma asking Cathy whether she had time, then a shower head was shown......I was expecting Ozma taking shower with Cathy....T.T

Edited by Morpheus

BTW, anyeone else feel betrayed when Ozma asking Cathy whether she had time, then a shower head was shown......I was expecting Ozma taking shower with Cathy....T.T

Heh, same here.

Fantastic episode, but is it just me or was Cathy

cosplaying as Stellar Loussier

:blink:

We kind of

got a real pineapple salad this episode. If anybody noticed, is very probable that the NUNS pilot wasted during the fight with the evolved Vajras was

MACHIDA... He was killed just like Raramia... :unsure:

It seems Ranka was mute due to the trauma of losing her parents, and she got normal again thanks to Ozma's effort. Also, it seems Ozma just realised who Brera really is/was...

:ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I thought this episode was great, from the perspective of developing the characters and plot. Lots of new things to chew on. Even quite a bit of fresh mecha pr0n for the action fans. :) I thought some of the 2D animation was a bit of a miss in places, but it didn't detract much from my enjoyment of the episode.

My only real complaint is how little screen time Sheryl's plot got. She's been sitting on the sidelines for a number of episodes now, just being peeved and sick, mostly. It's understandable that they didn't get to her yet, though; this episode delved deeper into the side characters than almost any other episode up to this point. It's exactly the sort of thing I love, and hope they do more of it from here until the end. Anyway, looks like we'll get more on Sheryl's arc next time.

Pure speculation: I'm wondering if the Diamond Force guys just ate it in this episode, though. (Or at least two of them.) I mean, who else in NUNS is qualified to fly wing for the SMS Skulls? Probably anyone who can lob a nuke (who knows how many times they've done this before), but it'd make sense... and also be kinda sad.

Confusion: Ozma's VF-25 can generate a barrier that stops a Vajra superbeam, but the Macross Quarter is defenseless? That sure doesn't add up. Oh well. :) I was actually thinking the bridge crew might bite it, but then figured that too many characters would have died all at once. I mean, you just can't kill off Bobby like that. :) Of course, while I was still pondering this possibility, the animation was racing ahead... think the timing was great on that sequence. Totally unexpected.

Also have to agree that the Fire Bomber soundtrack was used pretty effectively. Great way to integrate a M7 homage.

Not too thrilled with the new OP. I mean, it'd be fine and cutesie for a Ranka-focused music video or something, but as an OP for the entire show? I hope it's just a one-off, like the original ED. The new ED is definitely cool, though, and only continues to grow on me.

Edited by DeeBot

We kind of

got a real pineapple salad this episode. If anybody noticed, is very probable that the NUNS pilot wasted during the fight with the evolved Vajras was

MACHIDA... He was killed just like Raramia... :unsure:

The credits match up with the voice actor, if that's any indication...

Confusion: Ozma's VF-25 can generate a barrier that stops a Vajra superbeam, but the Macross Quarter is defenseless? That sure doesn't add up. Oh well. :) I was actually thinking the bridge crew might bite it, but then figured that too many characters would have died all at once. I mean, you just can't kill off Bobby like that. :) Of course, while I was still pondering this possibility, the animation was racing ahead... think the timing was great on that sequence. Totally unexpected.

Also have to agree that the Fire Bomber soundtrack was used pretty effectively. Great way to integrate a M7 homage.

Guess it's safe to say that Macross Quarter

doesn't have PPB bunnies.

You can say that!

Basara's guitar echoes through the galaxy... ONCE AGAIN (sorry, I'm just too excited

:p)

Edited by Nexx Stalker

I need some subtitles for this English-speaker.

Highlight for me: Ai Kun locking on to the paper airplane and then eating it. Alto, I really don't think you should be teaching him that...

Highlight 2: Lot's of FireBomber!

Did Klan dye her hair aqua or was that scene lighting?

I like Interstellar Flight song, but not as an OP. I downloaded the raw for the standalone OP and was so disappointed it wasn't Lion. A cute OP, though. Northern Cross was again awesome! Come to think of it, there's a lot of BGM for OST 2, whenever they decide to put that out.

I'll probably have more thoughts when I get some of the dialogue.

Well I loved this episode.

For a person who has not listened to much Fire Bomber beyond Planet Dance I do like their music. I have a lot of it downloaded just haven't taken time to listen to all of it.

Ozma VF-25S without armor finally! Also we now have proof the VF-25 has pin point barriers! At least the VF-25S has barriers that is. There was a lot of beautiful sequences with the 25S, I think something in there could make a new avatar for me, maybe someone can make some animated avatars of the VF-25S from this episode, any of the parts look like they'd be great.

Even though I know before watching this that Ozma was going to survive the episode (raws take too long to come out so I read people's spoiler tags) I have to admit if I was watching with no knowledge not only would I have believed him dead but I would have been disappointed that they made it out almost the exact same way Roy died. However since Ozma survived it turned out very well and I liked the intense homage.

What is Luca up to?

It is obvious that Ozma and Cathy will get back together by series end especially when Leon is off playing with Grace who likes to transform into a man at times. How does that seem to make sense for Leon?

As for the NUNS pilots, that can't be Machida and Diamond Squadron. They wouldn't be killed by Vajra that easily, not without even one pin point barrier punch.

Impervious to nukes and ESA shells, hmm... the Vajra are getting tougher again. Which is good considering battles with them were becoming slaughters, especially with them being cast in a different light.

Great episode, can't wait for subs to make it better.

The credits match up with the voice actor, if that's any indication...

I deny the evidence.

We hear the voices from the pilots, but he could be the one that survived. AND even if it was Machida, "it's only a flesh wound". Right?

:unsure: Well, at least he didn't run away like the average NUNS pilot.

By the way: VF27 cannon fodder battroid.

It's a pity the head is not clearly visible.

BOMBAH!!!

The pineapple cake was a nice homage, as was that guy from the flight crew climbing up the ladder to see a cockpit soaked in blood ... I was getting a little worried that Brera was going to take him out like a b___ with that knife. Very glad to see Kawamori and crew screwing with the fans' minds like this.

Was it me, or did that Vajra egg hatching look like Ranka's pet? I guess that's one suspicion confirmed, but - assuming these were all somewhere on Frontier - I wonder if this was what Grace was on about regarding the bio-sphere suitability of Frontier for their mysterious purpose. Look out, Ranka: Like a pet tiger, they're very cute ... until they grow up and rip off your arms for a snack. Were those leg thingies on its underside new? I don't recall seeing that many of them before (I seem to remember two).

Speaking of which, what was Ozuma up to when Brera stopped him? Stumbling on the secret Vajra nest perhaps? I thought he was going to confront Leon at first, but now I wonder. Looking for proof first? Oh you're gonna get it, you sneaky bastard. And Ozuma's going to eat pineapple cake off of your girl's naked body, just you wait. :p

Yeah, I agree that "immunity" to a nuclear detonation is a little far fetched (we're talking about a force that can fuse helium atoms into carbon, oxygen, and even heavier elements here guys - nothing "survives" that within the blast radius, though I imagine the are of effect would be smaller with no shockwave due to atmospheric effects up there to contend with ... still it strains credulity), but I'll wait for the subs to come before passing judgment. Perhaps some sort of electromagnetic shielding that can repel the blast of charged particles? Just anime magic? We'll have to just wait and see, I guess.

Can't wait to see the pending Sheryl/Grace cat fight. She looked pissed. :ph34r:

Vajra have energy convertion armor so

having their own PBB isn't surprising.

The Protoculture, Protodevlin and Zentradi has shown some force field technology. (Prisoner force fields for the Zentradi.)

The Vajra Queen has demonstrated she can create a force field for Ranka.

Was it me, or did that Vajra egg hatching look like Ranka's pet? I guess that's one suspicion confirmed, but - assuming these were all somewhere on Frontier - I wonder if this was what Grace was on about regarding the bio-sphere suitability of Frontier for their mysterious purpose. Look out, Ranka: Like a pet tiger, they're very cute ... until they grow up and rip off your arms for a snack. Were those leg thingies on its underside new? I don't recall seeing that many of them before (I seem to remember two).

Watching

the cute little thing tear apart the paper plane seemed like a very grim omen to me...

Yeah, I agree that "immunity" to a nuclear detonation is a little far fetched (we're talking about a force that can fuse helium atoms into carbon, oxygen, and even heavier elements here guys - nothing "survives" that within the blast radius, though I imagine the are of effect would be smaller with no shockwave due to atmospheric effects up there to contend with ... still it strains credulity), but I'll wait for the subs to come before passing judgment. Perhaps some sort of electromagnetic shielding that can repel the blast of charged particles? Just anime magic? We'll have to just wait and see, I guess.

They didn't seem immune, but

resistant... And they weren't at the epicenter of the blast...

:rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the pending Sheryl/Grace cat fight. She looked pissed.

Grace is a cyborg. She would kill her in a sec...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn