Macross Frontier Episode 16 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 16  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 16 Rating

• Positive (Decepti...whoops wrong show...RANKA!!!! ATTACK!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Sheryl sneaks out of the hospital...I wanna sneak out of this show)

I live near tokyo and i have to say its not that the japanese are all lolicons but there is a trend with women trying to look as young and cute as possible over here.

And you have a problem with this because....? :rolleyes:

Not like its not a trend for the past few decades if plastic surgery, beauty products and botox etc aren't indications enough.

Speaking of Luca, what's with the sudden change in his attitude?

When Nanase was asking him why alto was pissed off, he said "maybe he's having a period." (in the first sub i saw, it was read as "maybe he's having a blue flag day"). Actually the statement itself is so un-luca like. but he also said it while facing away, and he looked quite serious (not a hint of making a joke). More like he was taking a jab at alto.

is this because he hasn't told nanase his feelings? he's pissed off at someone? he's grown tired of alto's snobbish behavior?

Or is this the real "evil" luca finally coming out? :p

It sure seemed out of character. Translation error? Maybe he's just becoming bored at being treated as a sidekick, or just annoyed by Nanase's concern for everyone else except Luca.

Edited by Nexx Stalker

It sure seemed out of character. Translation error? Maybe he's just becoming bored at being treated as a sidekick, or just annoyed by Nanase's concern for everyone else except Luca.

i felt surprised by that remark too.

and i thought Luca was determined to tell Nana-chan when he comes back? guess he didn't... <_<

i felt surprised by that remark too.

and i thought Luca was determined to tell Nana-chan when he comes back? guess he didn't... <_<

The perfect moment slipped away, in a certain sense, and it seems he has lost all the courage he had summoned to tell nanase back before the battle. And she sure seems not very much concerned about what he had to say. but that's just my spicing up things a bit. ^_^

When Nanase was asking him why alto was pissed off, he said "maybe he's having a period." (in the first sub i saw, it was read as "maybe he's having a blue flag day").

I think it's a mistranslation. I hear Luca's VA saying "blue day", which I interpret as "bad day". Possibly there is some double entendre in Japanese (IIRC blue is the color for "sex"), but Luca wasn't surely meaning that.

FV

I think it's a mistranslation. I hear Luca's VA saying "blue day", which I interpret as "bad day". Possibly there is some double entendre in Japanese (IIRC blue is the color for "sex"), but Luca wasn't surely meaning that.

The Japanese expression "blue day" means "menstrual period" or "time of the month." (See Gendai Yougo or Kenkyuusha's Dai Waei) It makes sense, given how strong Nanase's reaction was.

The Japanese expression "blue day" means "menstrual period" or "time of the month." (See Gendai Yougo or Kenkyuusha's Dai Waei) It makes sense, given how strong Nanase's reaction was.

After some research, I see that even in English "blue day" can be related to the period. However, I notice that it can also be used for a more intuitive meaning.

Here is what I found in a dictionary:

8. blue - causing dejection; "a blue day"; "the dark days of the war"; "a week of rainy depressing weather"; "a disconsolate winter landscape"; "the first dismal dispiriting days of November"; "a dark gloomy day"; "grim rainy weather"

Is it possible that this double entendre was carried over from English to Japanese?

By the way, thanks for your work on Frontier :)

FV

Is it possible that this double entendre was carried over from English to Japanese?

By the way, thanks for your work on Frontier smile.gif

"Blue day" has a much wider scope of meaning in English than in Japanese. I don't see why you think it's a double entendre though - it just seems like a term borrowed from English for one of its possible meanings, and then narrowed down to that meaning in Japanese. For example, "saabisu" in Japanese often specifically means "throwing in an extra" or "free gift", which is of course not at all how it's usually used in English. This sort of thing happens a lot with Japanese borrowings, and English-speakers sometimes wouldn't recognize much of a link between the Japanese term and its original English expression. (edit: "saabisu" being service, as sketchley noted.)

Also, thanks. :)

Edited by creamyhorror

Geez... What's with all the recycled animation? After episode 14, where the highlights included Lalamia getting killed by stock footage, followed by a clipshow, I thought for sure this episode wouldn't re-use anything. Do it once, sure. Do it twice, fine. But three times in a row? What the hell?

I kind of feel like I've just watched Phantasm... Back, to back, to back.

Stock footage is dissapointing, but if it doesn't get in the way of anything, then at least I can accept it. But that's one battle that shouldn't have been a montage of clips. Talk about taking the wind out of something.

Seriously, what happened? MacF was going along just fine, and then WHAM. Has the series become plagued with deadline/budget constraints like SDF:M or something? I know it's celebrating Macross' 25th anniversary and all, but that's taking the tribute a little too far.

Edited by 00X

Geez... What's with all the recycled animation? After episode 14, where the highlights included Lalamia getting killed by stock footage, followed by a clipshow, I thought for sure this episode wouldn't re-use anything. Do it once, sure. Do it twice, fine. But three times in a row? What the hell?

I kind of feel like I've just watched Phantasm... Back, to back, to back.

Stock footage is dissapointing, but if it doesn't get in the way of anything, then at least I can accept it. But that's one battle that shouldn't have been a montage of clips. Talk about takind the wind out of something.

Seriously, what happened? MacF was going along just fine, and then WHAM. Has the series become plagued with deadline/budget constraints like SDF:M or something? I know it's celebrating Macross' 25th anniversary and all, but that's taking the tribute a little too far.

Umm... I don't think most people noticed what you did and if so, it wasn't that big a deal. The story is progressing fine and is still awesome. Just go with it. ^_^

Funny every one complains about stock footage when most shows use them a lot. Plus the origianl show had ton of stock footage all over the place, and sometimes they would just replace the space background with earth background and use the same footage. It takes a lot to animate and produce a show, and sure stock footage can be annoying at least they are making an amazing show. As a matter of fact can you name any Macross SHOW that doesn't use stock footage??? SDFM, yep, Mac7, constantly in the first few episodes. Basically, quit your bitching. :lol:

Geez... What's with all the recycled animation?

Mmm, is this the first animation series (and by animation I don't mean anime only, but TV animation in general) series you have ever watched? B))

Recicled footage is a well known "trick" used by weekly based shows, frontier is no exception.

PS: Sucker4meltrans, your avatar scares me!

Edited by Nexx Stalker

They re-used the clip of that small Vajra from Ep1 spinning while it fires missiles, twice. They re-used the clip of that small Vajra from Ep7 getting wasted by Ozma, twice. It's one thing to recycle a piece of animation once per episode, but recycling the same animations more than once in a single episode, and in a short timeframe, to boot? That's a whole 'nother thing. On top of that, they've been recycling an increasing amount of 2D.

It isn't like MacF has been this way from the start. For 13 episodes, it was doing a really kick-ass job of avoiding stock footage, and now all of a sudden, it's a stock-footage bonanza. That isn't the kind of thing that just happens.

If it's because they decided to extend Frontier's run, great. That's cool. Sure, it's bad for the episodes they have to hastily pad out with clips. But overall, that's cool.

On the other hand, if it's because production ran into time and/or budget problems, that isn't cool. That's very uncool. I don't want to see the amazing battle choreography gradually pushed aside to make way for more and more recycled clips of something firing, followed by something exploding. I don't want to see the 2D increasingly re-used, and the new stuff gradually farmed out to cheaper and cheaper animation houses. And most of all, I don't want them to be forced to make changes to the actual storyline because certain scenes and setpieces and whatnot became too expensive to invest their limited time and money into.

Yeah, I think it's lame to have three weeks straight of cliptastic episodes. And yeah, I think it sucks how Evil Aimo was unveiled during a cliptastic fight because that made the whole episode less disturbing than it should've been. But it ain't just that.

Personally, I'd rather them re-use well animated footage rather than outsource to a crappy, third-rate Chinese animation company, but then again, that's just me.

I didn't even notice it was stock footage in this episode in my initial viewing, although re-watching it, I guess they did.

But I really don't care. I'm still enjoying it.

Ummm, only one episode was a clip show. :rolleyes: geez. Can we complain more?

Okay then, compared to the first 13 episodes, why do you think the last 3 episodes of MacF have been stuffed to the gills with recycled animation?

It has to indicate something. I doubt the production staff just did it for shits and giggles.

Just because they didn't show one doesn't mean that they didn't have a funeral for her.

I thought they established in episode two or three that SMS members don't have proper funerals...they just get recycled.

I'd imagine that they had some kind of Gilliam-style service for her, but I wouldn't exactly call it a "funeral."

I may be nit-picking, though.

Speaking of nit-picking...if people don't want recycled footage, they shouldn't watch TV anime.

Back on topic:

This is not right. Bilrer is just a cocoo old guy, SMS people are becoming the cyborgs puppets and Breera can kick Alto's ass easily. BTW no funeral for Raramia? that's harsh.

Its not only the funeral that's harsh...they seemed to have forgotten she even existed or is dead. Or at least Klan seemed to not be in grief or anything :rolleyes: Like i've said before, Frontier has a problem with forgetting its side characters.

Funny every one complains about stock footage when most shows use them a lot. Plus the origianl show had ton of stock footage all over the place, and sometimes they would just replace the space background with earth background and use the same footage. It takes a lot to animate and produce a show, and sure stock footage can be annoying at least they are making an amazing show. As a matter of fact can you name any Macross SHOW that doesn't use stock footage??? SDFM, yep, Mac7, constantly in the first few episodes. Basically, quit your bitching. :lol:

I think its a valid point. If taking Eureka 7 for example, you can't really remember or tell that stock footage is being used often. Maybe obvious ones would be of random KLFs exploding and The END using its homing lasers but otherwise barely noticeable. In Frontier there are probably only 3 scenes of hammerhead vajra getting blown up and they are being used too constantly that its pretty obvious. If they want to use stock footage, they should have a bigger pool of it that it becomes barely noticeable, ie: about 10 scenes of yellow vajra getting blown up rather than just 2-3. But hey macross isn't about teh mecha action right? ^_^

anywaone else think the Vf-25 has a "VF-o" feel to it, while the "27" has a SV-51 feel to it?

Interesting.

Cool episode.

Well this series is made after Zero, so some of the VF-0 and SV-51 design are still floating on SK head when he design VF-25 and VF-27.