Mass Effect

Cam Clarke doesn't do the codex---that's Michael McConnohie(spelling?)

PS---gah, total voice identification fail for me. Um, let's see, non-spoiler way to describe. "The artificial voice you hear the most" is quite famous to modern/recent sci-fi fans, but I totally didn't recognize it despite knowing that person was voicing someone in the game. I'll blame the fake echo/distortion effect.

Spoiler version:

EDI is Tricia Helfer

PPS---gah, voice ident fail two for me. Fairly early game spoiler (generally the first planet you visit once you have a choice)

Aria is Carrie-Anne Moss

ME 1 save initial bonuses list, as far as I've found out:

Winning at level 40/50/60 will give you 2/3/5 levels to start out with. and 3/4/5 extra squad points.

Having the rich achievement (AKA SPECTRE gear) gives you 100K credits to start with, and possibly the 5000 materials.

Having a relationship with someone may/may not alter the opening scene.

by default it shows Ashley

Yeah, that's why I PM'd you when I saw you were getting close. Odds are there's not enough enemies left in the game to get it. And see my post above for what you'll get. (there may be more, but I haven't heard of anything)

I've done everything but the one geth assignment and the final run... I wonder if it's even possible without 3 runs with the same character

I've heard it's possible, but VERY difficult. Like if you miss 1% of enemies/codex/sidequests through either of the runs it won't happen. A LOT of people (like me and probably you) end up at level 59 in run 2.

Know what's REALLY annoying? Start your third run at 59, and just blow through plot as fast as possible. Ignore ALL sidequests, just acquire Liara as fast as you can. You'll be amazed (and irritated) at how much XP is heaped on you just for the beginning plot points (yet not given at the end for killing Geth Colossi). You can get like 200,000 pts in an hour, and have Liara in your party. Then the entire rest of the game is another 200,000 or so.

I think someone calculated that 59 to 60 (or 58 to 60) was the same as going from 1 to 42.

Also, ScreamMan--where'd you hear that? I've already skipped some dialogue from "right before a fight I kept dying in". If anything dialogue goes slightly faster, since there seems to be a glitch where the last word or two is occasionally clipped by another character starting their line early.

What David was referring to, ScreamMan, is that in the first Mass Effect, if you wore a helmet, it would appear to have been removed during dialogue automatically. In Mass Effect 2, if you're wearing a helmet, the helmet stays on until you manually remove it. I magically took drank a drink through mine.

But David, while I don't doubt your ability to skip dialogue on the Xbox 360 version, I have yet to find a way to skip it on PC. Right or left mouse, space bar, F, Escape, Enter... all useless.

I've done everything but the one geth assignment and the final run... I wonder if it's even possible without 3 runs with the same character
I realized it's possible if you read my earlier post I figured out I hit 60 on my second run on the end game. That was without Pinnacle station or Bring Down the Sky (for the first run). I did however kill almost everything on foot.

@about the helmet

Yes, no toggle and it doesn't auto remove for cut scenes. IF you decide not to wear a helmet on the N7 armor you lose a stat bonus. All the DLC armor is one peice and cannot be customized.

Ok, so I finally got to play for a bit today. They definitely improved the TPS aspect and made the combat more focused on it but they still have a ways to go before it's as fluid as Army of Two or Gears of War. I'm already noticing how clunky the cover system still is and the lack of a crouch toggle while not unforgivable is beyond annoying.

I just made it through Harvest and I have but this to say on the matter:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hate, hate,

hate the Collectors! They remind me of the Flood from Halo, which I also hated. Human/Covvie fights? Yay. Flood fights? Nay! Same here. Also, made it all the way through to the end and thought for sure that ME2 would take the usual route of having my Loved One kidnapped and I have to track her down. Yay that they didn't. Nay as to the way they DID take the story! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*huff* *puff*

Okay, I think I'm done.

Has anyone had to use the second disc yet? I don't know if it's good or bad that I haven't.

Bad news for me, Got it today,Loving the poo out of it,enjoying every turn and catching up with old crew, after the fighting off

the collector assult on the first human settlement,freedoms Progress,

got to the next cut scene about luring them then..bluh..black screen... restarted the 360,boom,RROD...me = :(

first time,but why today...getting a new one tomorrow..sighage.

Sorry to hear that, dude. That's terrible.

My 360 is still holding up mostly well, the only issue is that the tray doesn't like to close. Push close, it'll spit it right back out again. Repeat a dozen or so times before it'll read the disc in question. But overall, not bad for a 360, given the model's reputation...

My ME1 Paragon Shep was level 60 (only two playthroughs for it) and loaded out, and I got a 10,000 of each resource bonus on top of the other stuff.

The combat system is definitely superior to ME1. I love how cover works and I love the head shots. I am indifferent about the ammo clips; I like the mechanics but it seems like a step backwards tech wise from ME1. Right now I am reserving judgment on the inventory system. Too much game left to play and too many upgrades yet to come. However, I do love having the N7 armor for the entire game (granted, I'm in Collector's armor right now, but whatever). It reminds me ever so slightly of Vagrant Story's gear system (forging your gear), and that's not a bad thing in my eyes. The hacking mini-games are actually fun, but not too involved (which is good). Resource gathering/planet exploration is also vastly improved, and it still has enough "Starflight" flavor to keep me happy. Voice acting is top notch, and the dialog/role playing options are quality.

Its a shame they took out teammate armor, I don't see any reason why it couldn't have been handled like the weapon system was. A heads up, though, they get new armor if you complete their loyalty missions.

My ME1 Paragon Shep was level 60 (only two playthroughs for it) and loaded out, and I got a 10,000 of each resource bonus on top of the other stuff.

So what was the other stuff again? I played through the first ME on the 360. Bought it later for PC, but never played through it, so I didn't have a save file to import and I just started a new character fresh. Extra levels might have helped me

close that third shutter without dying several times during the Archangel mission

, but money doesn't seem to be an issue (I've bought almost everything from every vendor on Omega and currently have some 77,000 credits. Extra resources don't seem really necessary either. Just fly to a few planets, scan them for resources, and launch a few probes. I've researched most of the upgrades available to me so far and after checking out all the planets in the Omega nebula, the only resource below 10,000 for me is Element Zero. The only missions I've done are in the Omega nebula.

(I've bought almost everything from every vendor on Omega and currently have some 77,000 credits.

Then you must have missed a vendor (or two), because there is no way you did that just clearing the Omega Nebula.

Without spoiling anything, Cam Clarke returns to voice the Codex entries again. I love that in-game encyclopedia, it brings so much life to the game world.
That was Cam Clarke :blink: ???!!! You're shitting me. I have to check the credits in the manual to make sure I'm not losing my f*cking mind.

Son of a bitch, I didn't recgnize him, since I'm so used to the way he sounded when he did Leonardo (original TMNT), Maximillian Sterling (Robotech), Keneda (original Akira dub), Ryudo (Grandia II), and Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid). Damn, that man has a very broad vocal range.

That was Cam Clarke :blink: ???!!! You're shitting me. I have to check the credits in the manual to make sure I'm not losing my f*cking mind.

Son of a bitch, I didn't recgnize him, since I'm so used to the way he sounded when he did Leonardo (original TMNT), Maximillian Sterling (Robotech), Keneda (original Akira dub), Ryudo (Grandia II), and Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid). Damn, that man has a very broad vocal range.

Not quite.

Cam Clarke doesn't do the codex---that's Michael McConnohie(spelling?)

Yeah, there's a few VERY expensive things on Omega. Anyways---I still haven't found alternate gauntlets or shoulder armor yet. :p

I'd like to have the Blue Sun's armor. It looks awesome---and the female version is almost a perfect hybrid of "typical" light/medium armor from ME 1.

I just hit the next "stage" for "how a Renegade looks" and it took a surprising turn, and is much more obvious---to the point that I'm surprised there's no dialogue lines about it. (true, only KOTOR 2 even mentioned how your appearance can change when you're evil, and that wasn't even a Bioware game). I may go "all the way to see how it looks, but pay to fix it right before the last mission."

Yeah, there's a few VERY expensive things on Omega. Anyways---I still haven't found alternate gauntlets or shoulder armor yet. :p

I'd like to have the Blue Sun's armor. It looks awesome---and the female version is almost a perfect hybrid of "typical" light/medium armor from ME 1.

I just hit the next "stage" for "how a Renegade looks" and it took a surprising turn, and is much more obvious---to the point that I'm surprised there's no dialogue lines about it. (true, only KOTOR 2 even mentioned how your appearance can change when you're evil, and that wasn't even a Bioware game). I may go "all the way to see how it looks, but pay to fix it right before the last mission."

What did you expect? Obsidian is made up of former Black Isle Studios people, after all, and they and BioWare were together from damn near the beginning.

So I got 6 hours in last night. Overall loving it. Combat feels good overall, though Im not digging the heat sinks, and the SHotgun has become largely useless. Also love How Miranda actually Looks Like Yvonne (Insuert complex surname) from Chuck. Thats pretty cool.

So I must be doin stuff wrong compared to u guys, coz i have very few resources and have gone through all my money without buying everything. I HAVE screwed up a couple of the safe bypasses though.

Great opening too! very dramatic :)

So I got 6 hours in last night. Overall loving it. Combat feels good overall, though Im not digging the heat sinks, and the SHotgun has become largely useless. Also love How Miranda actually Looks Like Yvonne (Insuert complex surname) from Chuck. Thats pretty cool.

So I must be doin stuff wrong compared to u guys, coz i have very few resources and have gone through all my money without buying everything. I HAVE screwed up a couple of the safe bypasses though.

Great opening too! very dramatic :)

I LOVE that opening, just spectacular

i saw u online last night Eugi, playing ME1. Good to see u have shifted up into 2 :)

haha, thanks. Last night was actually early early morning for me. :lol:

I was all psyched to start ME2 with my vast fortune, barrels of omni-gel and my glorious squid head alien girl friend... And then all my dreams were crushed. :lol:

Armor options are still very limited, and I have every party member now.

Anyways--I don't think I'm going to be able to see how max Renegade looks. Paragon seems to "counter" it. And it's almost impossible to avoid ALL Paragon points. Mainly, I got a big boost just from importing an ME 1 character, where it's quite easy to have a LOT of points in both categories. Anyways, I must have JUST gone over the threshold for one full "bar" of paragon points, as my FemShep now looks like she did a few hours ago. Thus, I think it's clear that's there's only a few distinct "stages", and that it's the sum of Renegade and Paragon. (thus, even if you maxed Renegade but had a lot of Paragon points, you wouldn't look very Renegade). Maybe I should have used my level 51 character--she was PURE renegade I think and thus wouldn't have had any Paragon points to start and I could probably have gotten so few it'd never "count".

PS--I'd heard that starting from scratch is actually a fairly renegade story, with the council dying in ME 1. True?

hard to say, my character let the council die anyway (Still got Paragon, but he's a much more grey character) and the galaxy seems a fairly bleak place. But I dont klnow how that differs to otehr playthroughs.

Also if Ashley was the one who died, it was Liara on Normandy at the start. And later my SHep and the Doc sat around drinking to her memory

Edited by Scream Man