Mass Effect

I might have to do an ultra-quick "female paragon" play of ME 1 to set up what I want to do. (casual+level 60=enemies die quick)

PS---if someone comes across a pic of a FULLY Renegade Femshep, I'd like to see it. (I bet someone's got one already, but I dare not search for it, for I'm certain it'd be in a thread/forum just full of spoilers)

I'm with all of you, that opening cinematic was just awesome. Not quite as "omigod!" as in ME1, but still very very cool. And I have to give kudos to the BioWare team for keeping that little plot twist under wraps through the whole development cycle. Yes, that plot twist. You know the one I'm talking about.

I also agree that this game is definitly the "dark second chapter" of the trilogy. I'm trying to be paragon when I can, but sometimes events just demand a renegade answer...

ps: the reason I rate the ME1 opening is that I knew I was walking into a game totally unlike any other that had come before. ME2 is, by definition, a sequel to that and didn't quite have the pants-wetting anticipation going. Then I gave my first "HOLY @$%#!" to my TV and all was good again ^_^

Edited by CoryHolmes

This game really needs a shoot from left/right toggle like Army of Two. Also when I'm behind cover and I try to use the sniper rifle it constantly zooms into the cover instead of where my reticule was "looking" beforehand.

The Collector's AR chews through people like mad and the Blackstorm's implementation reminds me a lot of the BFG from doom.

Anyone getting any glitches? I've been having some minor walk mesh(?) issues, a few times I mysteriously hopped through the air and sometimes my Squadmates just stand around stuck for abit.

Just past the whole trial of tali, pretty awesome..think jack is makin moves on me but i dont want her,miranda isnt talking to me anymore cuz i told her off once and shes havin a big sook. lol anyone else kinda feel attached to the crew? i do at times,well certian memebers,mainly those from the first.

Edited by Vepariga

anyone else kinda feel attached to the crew? i do at times,well certian memebers,mainly those from the first.

*raises hand*

When I learned that the new team would largely be new members, and the only hold-overs from my previous team were members that I didn't use at all, I was... unhappy... to say the least. I put a lot of time and effort getting to know and care for my core team (Ashley and Wrex, FYI) and was certain that the new ones just wouldn't measure up. Then I started talking with Jacob and Miranda and they caught my attention. Jack is... she has her issues and I find myself wanting to peel them back and help patch her up. Grunt is just as hysterical as Wrex but for different reasons (anyone else get his air quotes yet? :) ).

As for romance, I think Jack is making eyes in my general direction, but I don't think I'm interested. Staying faithful to Ashley for now, but that Miranda is one fine-looking woman and very interesting too boot...

Actually found a Bioware post regarding the firing from cover issue.

Christina Norman wrote...

Firndeloth wrote...

My problem isn't with the lack of auto aim, but with the parallax error caused by the third person over the shoulder camera. When I right-click zoom, my cursor is pointing somewhere other than where it was centered before I right clicked.

This is unfortunately an almost impossible problem to solve mathematically. We did our best, but there are cases where there is drift. Most of the time you should not have significant drift. You'll have less drift if you're aiming straight forward relative to than cover you're currently taking. You'll be more likely to get significant drift if you've rotated more than 45 degrees to aim. If anyone knows of a game that handles this really well please PM me and I'll check it out.

Unfortunately sniper rifles compound this issue because of the default zoom I suppose.

I'm with all of you, that opening cinematic was just awesome. Not quite as "omigod!" as in ME1, but still very very cool. And I have to give kudos to the BioWare team for keeping that little plot twist under wraps through the whole development cycle. Yes, that plot twist. You know the one I'm talking about.\

Actually, they didn't. The very first teaser trailer stated it, and the second video they released was actually of that cinematic.

I think CoryHolmes may be talking about the big reveal I just got today. 'cuz I had never even suspected such a thing, and no one had even whispered a guess AFAIK. It's the first really big reveal of the game.

BeyondTheGrave---the game is apparently very picky about profiles/consoles/HDD. If anything was changed at any point during the run or since that save was made, ME 2 probably won't accept it. (thus, I'm not sure my Paragon Shep will be accepted--I'll see later)

PS---a full install takes 12.4 gigs. Which is quite a lot for us 20GB HDD users! (since only 13.7 or so are usable). I was clearing out Oblivion saves to make room (they're 17MB each)

I think CoryHolmes may be talking about the big reveal I just got today. 'cuz I had never even suspected such a thing, and no one had even whispered a guess AFAIK. It's the first really big reveal of the game.

BeyondTheGrave---the game is apparently very picky about profiles/consoles/HDD. If anything was changed at any point during the run or since that save was made, ME 2 probably won't accept it. (thus, I'm not sure my Paragon Shep will be accepted--I'll see later)

PS---a full install takes 12.4 gigs. Which is quite a lot for us 20GB HDD users! (since only 13.7 or so are usable). I was clearing out Oblivion saves to make room (they're 17MB each)

i just beat it real quick. then it saw the file.

so far me2 is idk.... i can't think of a word.

good thing i got a 120gb hdd :p

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Bingo :)

And I have to say that the first game and the novels did a good job of setting Cerberus up as Evil Incarnate.

But now... now we're getting to see the other side of the coin and it turns out that the ME universe isn't so black and white that I first assumed it would be

i just beat it real quick. then it saw the file.

so far me2 is idk.... i can't think of a word.

good thing i got a 120gb hdd :p

Even though we have a 120GB HDD, I think we'll suffer through a few disk swaps.

I'm one of the most calm, collected, and unflappable people you'll ever know. If the end of the world happens, I'll be the first say, "Hey, that's cool." That being said, I just hit pause on the game so I could come here and say this:

Omigod omigod omigod omigod!!!!!!!

*flaps arms* I flap now, it made me flap! Of all the twists we've been talking about here, this is the biggest, twistest one of the bunch! Everone stop what you're doing and play the game! (FYI: I'm at 32hrs, 15mins).

I'm...a sizable chunk through the game. I've just been wondering one thing, does anyone know the best teammates to pick for each mission, just based on the dialogue? For some of the loyalty missions, people have had a good back-and-forth, but for other ones the second person was pretty much silent.

I haven't heard much yet, but I've only done 3 loyalty missions. Having played ME 1 sveral times, there really never was THAT much dialogue between characters outside of cutscenes. DA:O had much more. I figure ME 2 will be like ME 1 in that regard. Also, there's a lot more characters to choose from, so it'd be harder to write for EVERY possible combination.

A decent exchange between Tali and Grunt starting his (though I think that was more simply arriving on the planet the first time than actually his mission)

32 hours? Hmmmn. I've got a ways to go to get to that "ultra-cool revelation" then. (the big one today just couldn't be the BIG reveal of the entire game, it simply wasn't enough--and it was too quick IMHO)

There is, but it's not THAT much faster. Just to make sure--you don't scan WHILE moving the cursor? That is very slow. The best method is to move cursor, scan real quick, move cursor, scan real quick. Kind of "dot" around the planet. If there's anything worth actually probing you'll get a spike, THEN move the cursor while scanning to maximize the spike. Anything that method will miss, will only be a small deposit anyways.

Or in short---I constantly move the thumbstick, but only briefly "blip" the L-trigger for a split-second scan. Scanning is instantaneous---if there's anything in the area worth getting, it'll show up in .0001 secs and the "trace" takes several seconds to fade. I would say a planet is 4 or 5 "blips" tall. I just constantly rake the cursor up and down, blipping the L-trigger along the way. And with a small amount of R-thumbstick often to rotate the planet, so that my vertical tracks cover different swaths.

Also, a small factor that adds up---the planets naturally rotate. So rotate WITH them, not against them with the R-thumbstick.

And of course, if the planet doesn't start out as rich or good, don't even bother. (unless Element Zero is mentioned in the description---eezo is like 1 in 15 planets or so, so if you find any, scour the planet and strip it bare even if there's not much to start with)

32 hours? Hmmmn. I've got a ways to go to get to that

I've seen people reporting completion times in the mid 20s already. I'm sure it's highly variable.

So if the new probe/scan deal is supposed to be less boring then than mako missions I don't think it's a total success. I literally almost fell asleep probing a planet already today, I seriously couldn't keep my eyes open.

It's still faster than the Mako, where you might need to spend 5 mins going around/across a mountain, just to find one tiny deposit. I can scan multiple planets in 5 mins.

Also--mid 20's completion? I'm sure it can be done, just like ME 1 can be done in 7 hours, if you skip EVERYTHING that you don't HAVE to do. But skipping all the major sidequests and characters and upgrades kinds of defeats the whole "RPG/story" aspect.

Yeah there's no way I'd be finishing with an hour count like that.

I just find it ironic that you'd think you'd want the resource mini game to be more interactive and not less. The mako portions from ME1 only really bothered me once I ran out of patience during additional run throughs. I don't think I'll be saying the same for this probing idea although it's not a deal breaker or anything.

Yeah, I found THAT out the hard way. Now I resolve to feed them first thing every time I go to Shep's cabin. I'm just glad I didn't buy the hamster. My model ship collection's pretty nice now though. Can't really think of anything that's MISSING, but it looks like there's space for one more, maybe two small ones.

PS---has no one else heard the entire "bachelor party" conversation? OMG if it's true, and it'd explain a lot. And ruin a lot. (it's in the bar on Illium if you're looking for it) AFAIK the current guess on the 'net is that it's just a funny easter egg from Bioware, and not supposed to be canon. (they are really drunk) (but again--it'd explain something very well)

Yeah, I found THAT out the hard way. Now I resolve to feed them first thing every time I go to Shep's cabin. I'm just glad I didn't buy the hamster.

PS---has no one else heard the entire "bachelor party" conversation? OMG if it's true, and it'd explain a lot. And ruin a lot. (it's in the bar on Illium if you're looking for it) AFAIK the current guess on the 'net is that it's just a funny easter egg from Bioware, and not supposed to be canon. (they are really drunk) (but again--it'd explain something very well)

the turian hitting on the asari is hilarious as well

Yeah, I found THAT out the hard way. Now I resolve to feed them first thing every time I go to Shep's cabin. I'm just glad I didn't buy the hamster. My model ship collection's pretty nice now though. Can't really think of anything that's MISSING, but it looks like there's space for one more, maybe two small ones.

I didn't know they could die, thankfully I've been feeding them all along. And you don't have to feed the hamster (there isn't an option for it). And I agree about the bachelor party, its worth the two minutes to stand there and listen to the entire thing.

Speaking earlier of the reveal, I assume you are talking about

the Protheans

?

For those who are past the

derelict IFF ship

, is there no "going back" at that point? When the mission came up, it gave me the option to go do it, or recruit more people (I didn't have the Justicar yet).

I didn't know they could die, thankfully I've been feeding them all along. And you don't have to feed the hamster (there isn't an option for it). And I agree about the bachelor party, its worth the two minutes to stand there and listen to the entire thing.

Speaking earlier of the reveal, I assume you are talking about

the Protheans

?

For those who are past the

derelict IFF ship

, is there no "going back" at that point? When the mission came up, it gave me the option to go do it, or recruit more people (I didn't have the Justicar yet).

I haven't gotten past spoiler #2 yet, but I have heard that no, there is no going back once you do it.

Oh and if you talk to Kelly a lot, there's a way to get her to feed your fish for you.