Mass Effect

Guess I'll have to take Tali and Garrus to the Citadel then. There's been VERY few dialogues between party members that I've found.

PS---keep talking to the game salesman. He's got a comment about how "RPG's now are more focused on big decisions and fast action combat".

PPS----very glad I waited until I had won before cracking open the collector's edition (what a pun) artbook. The biggest spoiler in the game is only like 6 pages in. Also, I like every other concept for that spoiler better than what the final design was. Final design was derivative, the others were much more unique and disturbing.

PPPS---I expect/hope ME 3 isn't THAT far away. From the artbook, and what has to happen to tie up loose ends from ME 1, a decent chunk has to have already been written/determined.

Also--yeah, it seems I'll need to make a quick ME 1 run just to setup a Paragon save like I want, since canon Shep is a renegade.

That's my point. When ME was released there was howls of outrage from dice fans who insist that an RPG can only be an rpg if the combat is decided by dice (real or virtual) and that actions should be queued up and combatants stand around waiting for the their turn to do something.

these guys insisted back then and continue to insist that ME is not an RPG

Well it isn't in the stereotypical sense but it doesn't need to be to be a good game. The fact that ME2 shocks people by being even less of a stereotypical iventory/stat/loot/grind RPG is understandable. The definitive videogame RPG has very little to do with PnP or LARPing. It's a whole nother ball of wax especially when you consider the country of development.

Now I constantly see people posting how making choices and playing a role are the tenets of roleplaying and from a videogame standpoint that's simply absurd because that would be just about every videogame.

I'm sitting at 40 hours and 5 minutes I can run the last section whenever but I got a bunch of N7s to finish up still. Definitely shorter than my play through of the first game so far.

Edited by bluemax151

yeah, I'm surprised at how short this game is in comparison to the first one. Of course, a lot of that time logged in ME1 was transit time (either in buggy or walking ever so slowly)

Full run-through on the first game didn't take me as long as a full run-through in ME2. 30-something hours compared to 40-something hours.

What do you mean, N7s?

That's what the side quest are called.

25-27 hours first time for ME 1, 39 hours second time (did EVERYTHING, never again), 21-22 hours on other ME 1 runs (doing MOST things). 38 hours for ME 2, doing almost everything.

I'm pretty anal/OC so generally I take forever on anything. Plus I killed almost everything in ME1 on foot because I MUST have max XPs :lol:

When I think about the traditional definition of a RPG I'm reminded of this:
XD .... DAMMIT can't play this game until Thursday night latest :( .

HAHA yeah I always think of that video when I think of LARPing. I found it pe youtube but lost it a while ago I have no idea why I never checked there for it.

Edited by bluemax151

That's what the side quest are called.

Just the character loyalty quests, right? The only side-quests I've done are ones that I picked up while at the various locations for said quests. I kinda miss Admiral Hackett always calling me up and "do this, fix that" stuff. Made for a larger, more living galaxy.

Just the character loyalty quests, right? The only side-quests I've done are ones that I picked up while at the various locations for said quests. I kinda miss Admiral Hackett always calling me up and "do this, fix that" stuff. Made for a larger, more living galaxy.

Some planets still have anomalies that start side quests if you scan them.

Re: Game length

Not sure how long it took me to play the first ME, but it definitely felt longer. Looking back (and my memory isn't the greatest, so....), I think the first ME was more plot oriented, so it stretched the story further. ME2 still feels very epic, but seems to be far more character driven. More story time seems to be spent on the characters and their backgrounds, than the bigger picture. It feels like the actual plot-based missions in the game are relatively few and far between (a couple at the beginning, then a long stretch of recruitment and loyalty missions, and then a couple more plot missions to finish things off). I think this may contribute to the game feeling 'short' even though there's a lot to do.

Re: N7 missions

I'm guessing N7 has become a generic catch-all for the minor side-quests?

In ME2, N7 refers to a very specific set of side-quests (under the assignments tab, rather than the missions tab). Anything that doesn't take place at one of the main game locations (random missions picked up through scanning planets, or in 'email') are tagged as N7. The rest are tagged by the planet/location they're found on/in. They're all minor, nothing plot-specific or necessary. Just a bit of background fun and a resource/experience grab.

Finished!

Well, finished as a boyscout. Unfortunately Tali didn't make it, everyone else did.

Can't wait to try it again as a renegade.

Any thoughts on whether to goad the Quarians into reclaiming their homeworld or not?

And I guess this means I'm free to play STO... my first ship will definitely be named the qwib-qwib

Edited by eugimon

Re: N7 missions

I'm guessing N7 has become a generic catch-all for the minor side-quests?

In ME2, N7 refers to a very specific set of side-quests (under the assignments tab, rather than the missions tab). Anything that doesn't take place at one of the main game locations (random missions picked up through scanning planets, or in 'email') are tagged as N7. The rest are tagged by the planet/location they're found on/in. They're all minor, nothing plot-specific or necessary. Just a bit of background fun and a resource/experience grab.

Basically every mission that isn't plot, city or a character loyalty mission is N7. Thus "side quests" because city missions are almost always just talking and nothing else.

I just discovered that imported characters can have eye colors you can't get by starting a character from scratch. (at least for one of them)

ShepEyes.jpg

Imported on top, the same color on the bottom. Both are "6 taps from the right" and the brightest blue option the game offers. I could perfectly recreate my imported character from scratch, all the settings are identical between games--except for the eye color. Should be identical, yet they're different. I recreated this situation several times, and could swap back and forth "live" in-game, so it's not a lighting/TV/memory issue---the game would "hold" both simultaneously until you actually chose, and they're obviously different when playing too.

And most importantly--if you cycle through ALL the eye colors in the character creation screen---you won't get the color my import Shep has. It seems to only exist as an import--but how/why? An ME 1 and ME 2 version for each color? I'd need an ME 1 save with a different custom to compare if other eye colors have the same effect, but I don't---my only other ME 1 Sheps are default Sheps.

Hey, some of us have a heck of an eye for color differences. And it's just plain weird that there'd be an effect like that. I mean, what if the "pure black" hair option was a different shade depending on if you imported vs created new? It really "shouldn't be" and is pointless---yet it's in the game.

I started a new character, and was fiddling around to see if I could "tweak" things just a bit, so I recreated my original ME 1 character (I have all the original numbers). Yet I couldn't match the eye color to the imported version! Everything else was utterly identical, down to the most subtle differences for all other color options. So every other "color" option is the same, yet for some reason ME 2 will render "eyes imported from ME 1" a different shade that it will for "eyes made in ME 2". (actually there's another slight eye difference too, but I won't get into that)

(also, someone was asking on the Bioware forums how to get violet eyes, and it seems that "importing from ME 1" may be the only way)

There's no way I'd notice something like that as you hardly ever see your character at an angle where it would be annoying (especially if you're using DLC armour :lol: ). Not surprising though, I don't think the eye colour slider even worked on Dragon Age when I played it on PC.

Okay, I have a Mass Effect 1 question (I'm trying to finsih the first game before I even crack 2).

We have the Platinum Hits version of the game. When can I access the "Bring Down The Sky" content (I don't beleve this version has the Pinnacle Station content)? Do we have to have the content installed in each gamer profile to access the content?

I hope I can access the content after I take care of Vimere (sp.?).

Edited by Wanzerfan

I had to buy the hits version when someone never returned my original copy and yes it does have Bring Down the Sky included but no pinnacle station.

I haven't installed the DLC from the disc but the dlc I had already installed wasn't gamer tag specific. I assume it's tied to the 360 itself?

I just beat the game now and I have to say: I didn't think anything could top Shepard's climb up the Presidium tower in ME1. I have now been proven wrong in that regard. This would be the best videogame of all time (before or after) if not for a few techincal glitches and annoying tedium. They just knock it down to "best damned game I've ever played" :)

Also, does anyone know how the game knows which profiles to import to the next game? Is it only for savefiles that finished the game/final level? 'cuz I like the way my first playthrough worked out, but I'm gonna go back to some older saves and make other choices. Will doing that change the savefile for import into ME3 or is that safe?

I just beat the game now and I have to say: I didn't think anything could top Shepard's climb up the Presidium tower in ME1. I have now been proven wrong in that regard. This would be the best videogame of all time (before or after) if not for a few techincal glitches and annoying tedium. They just knock it down to "best damned game I've ever played" :)

Also, does anyone know how the game knows which profiles to import to the next game? Is it only for savefiles that finished the game/final level? 'cuz I like the way my first playthrough worked out, but I'm gonna go back to some older saves and make other choices. Will doing that change the savefile for import into ME3 or is that safe?

Pretty sure it goes from your last save, because you can keep playing after you "finish" the game. Do any sidequests you missed, do resource farming, etc. If you start a new game based upon a complete ME2 save, it goes from your last save.

Talking to Kelly after the game is funny.

Possible spoilers but more of a theory-

I think the protheans accepted/ embraced the technology of the reapers.

But like the geth the protheans were devided part of them siding with the reapers. Everyone else opposing and going into hiding.

So in taking the reaper tech the possibility arises that humanity could become the the thing the fear the most

Now play it a few more times.

That totally doesn't agree with Vigil's comments in ME 1.

More thoughts---hey, you know how the Keepers are insects? (spoilers for mid-point of game or so)

Is it just chance that the protheans are now insect-like too, or do the reapers have some sort of preference for that when they re-engineer conquered species? Plus the reaper ship design seems rather insectile.

spoiler for end game:

Of course, if the whole "reapers adapt/build to incorporate the current dominant species" thing is true why do all reaper ships look like sovereign? There should be many different designs. Or are the protheans and humans their first attempts at doing this, being the 2 most recent extinction cycles? Also--what would the larva have grown into? A giant mecha-human would be an incredibly bad choice to fly through space and bombard cities from orbit---you really need a SHIP for that, like the other reapers are

Also--am I the only one who got

Morinth

in the party? Nobody's mentioned her (though I alluded to it in my "awesome choice" post)

More thoughts---hey, you know how the Keepers are insects? (spoilers for mid-point of game or so)

Is it just chance that the protheans are now insect-like too, or do the reapers have some sort of preference for that when they re-engineer conquered species? Plus the reaper ship design seems rather insectile.

spoiler for end game:

Of course, if the whole "reapers adapt/build to incorporate the current dominant species" thing is true why do all reaper ships look like sovereign? There should be many different designs. Or are the protheans and humans their first attempts at doing this, being the 2 most recent extinction cycles? Also--what would the larva have grown into? A giant mecha-human would be an incredibly bad choice to fly through space and bombard cities from orbit---you really need a SHIP for that, like the other reapers are

Morinth

in the party? Nobody's mentioned her (though I alluded to it in my "awesome choice" post)

Let me rephrase that...

Brainwashed/ indoctrinated became the collectors.

It took centuries for the reapers to destroy all life. We don't know how or where it started. Or even how they found out about the reapers.

Its all just an idea.

You get a Mail about the keepers if you did that quest in me1

will comment more later.....

I got that mail, and it really didn't say anything you didn't already know from ME1 from completing that quest, or that couldn't be obviously inferred from what you learn in ME 2.

Anyways--I actually plan to play ME 1 again next, doing a super-quick play (level 60, but easy difficulty), just to set up a "female Paragon" for ME 2. I don't plan to do another FemShep run in ME 2 until there's some major new DLC (or at least some new armor). (I actually totally skipped Zaeed, I honestly can't spare the HDD space and couldn't care less about having him on my team).

Maybe ManShep Paragon for ME 2 after that, as I missed out on a LOT of Tali and Miranda dialogue by playing FemShep.

spoiler for end game:

Morinth

Its later now....

I see the reapers like the Borg. Continuously assimilating new races and species but hey have a single distinctive look. A look that inspires fear. It could be possible that each race that had dominanceor was the strongest they took that form.Then intergrating their tech and people into reapers. Humanity is starting to show its strength and some races already fear and dislike them. So creating a giant human with a beam cannon in its mouth makes sense.

But the only way you could fight it would be to build an eva.

Also did you sleep with Morinth?

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Yeah, that's what happens.

You will not get the paramour achievement. I still don't have it, will have to have a different play through. It will ONLY occur post-final-mission, so it doesn't affect "everyone survives". Of course, if she dies, it won't happen. (can't have post-mission talks with dead crew) (though I've not heard of her dying in any thread/forum---maybe she's invincible due to being a "minor" character?) She is AFAIK inherently loyal, maybe that's why/how? (though I saw someone say their version of her wasn't loyal--which is strange, as AFAIK the only way to have the option to even get her, pretty much ensures her loyalty)

While I really do love this game, I honestly don't understand some of the random crap they did. Like the streamlined weapon system, there's like...2-4 guns per class...and that's it and you can't even acquire the best in slot item for every weapon (or the class specific ones). You can only pick one item on the collector ship per ME2 Shepard...regardless of difficulty, so my whole hardcore prep for insanity was almost entirely a waste. It also bugs me that you cant hide helmets like in ME.

But more than any little issue I have, I hate the random renegade (and presumably paragon) points you just get arbitrarily thrown at you regardless of the choices you make.

I really love this game, but not being able to craft my "perfect" vision of Shepard like I did in ME is borderline infuriating.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Yeah, that's what happens. You will not get the paramour achievement. I still don't have it, will have to have a different play through. It will ONLY occur post-final-mission, so it doesn't affect "everyone survives". Of course, if she dies, it won't happen. (though I've not heard of her dying in any thread/forum---maybe she's invincible?)

I got the everyone survives achievement. you just have to select the right people for the job.