Diablo III

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Two decades have passed since the demonic denizens, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, wandered the world of Sanctuary in a vicious rampage to shackle humanity into unholy slavery. Yet for those who battled the Prime Evils directly, the memory fades slowly and the wounds of the soul still burn.

When Deckard Cain returns to the ruins of Tristram's Cathedral seeking clues to new stirrings of evil, a comet from the heavens strikes the very ground where Diablo once entered the world. The comet carries a dark omen in its fiery being and it calls the heroes of Sanctuary to defend the mortal world against the rising powers of the Burning Hells – and even the failing luminaries of the High Heavens itself.

Edited by Duke Togo

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/

Two decades have passed since the demonic denizens, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, wandered the world of Sanctuary in a vicious rampage to shackle humanity into unholy slavery. Yet for those who battled the Prime Evils directly, the memory fades slowly and the wounds of the soul still burn.

When Deckard Cain returns to the ruins of Tristram's Cathedral seeking clues to new stirrings of evil, a comet from the heavens strikes the very ground where Diablo once entered the world. The comet carries a dark omen in its fiery being and it calls the heroes of Sanctuary to defend the mortal world against the rising powers of the Burning Hells – and even the failing luminaries of the High Heavens itself.

Damn, am I gonna have to take time out from my WoW addiction to play this??

lol,

i've only just started playing diablo2:lod for the first time ever about 2 weeks ago.

(and the way it's going at the moment, i wont be ready for d3 for another 5 years)

Edited by KOTUS

Oh hell no, I'm not spending more time on Diablo. It's fun for a bit and gets old fast. Beat the first, got bored with the second.

You've played the third one, then? ^_^

Diablo III will be a good replacement for those of us who have moved on from MMO's (WoW, in my case), but wouldn't mind having a game to run around with a couple of friends in, killing stuff for an hour here or there.

Definately looking forward to it. But i wonder if those scripted map events would mean the end to randomly generated dungeon levels like the 1st two diablos.

Definately looking forward to it. But i wonder if those scripted map events would mean the end to randomly generated dungeon levels like the 1st two diablos.

It'll probably be a combination effect, mostly random areas, with certain "set pieces" and "set levels" interspersed for good measure. D2 already had them, with things like the cathedral in the 1st level. Even Nethack, the ultimately complex roguelike had setpiece levels (town, class quest levels, castle, etc...) interspersed with the random areas.

It does. You guys need to read! :lol:

Maybe they're talking about some other Mac? I mean, just because they say Mac, and it looks just like a Mac, doesn't mean it's the REAL mac... maybe it's an illusion? Or a secret alternate Mac that we've never seen before... ever think about that?

:p

Diablo is scary. I remember playing it late nights (first Diablo) and scarring myself sh^tless.

if there are games on the scary list when i was a kid it's -

Diablo

Doom (and it's sequels)

DukeNukem to an extent, but his wisecracking mutha trucking attitude kept me on high alert and ready to maim. :D

Speaking of Duke, where the hell is he? wasn't there supposed to be a game in the making that's been "in the making"

for the last 7 years? And why hasn't he got a movie? lol

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 3 weeks later...

I read some complains about Diablo III mentioning that the game is too 'colorful' and after looking at the screenshots I have to admit it. The reason why I like Diablo is the dark horror feeling to it when playing, the bright color in Diablo 3 totally turn this away.

Another example of a horror game is this MMORPG called Requiem Bloodymare, I played it for a few days and it got some Diablo feeling to it.

Edited by Morpheus

I read some complains about Diablo III mentioning that the game is too 'colorful' and after looking at the screenshots I have to admit it.

Everybody and their mother says this game won't be out for another year or so. And we've seen just a very small bit of the game. Too early to judge.

• 4 weeks later...

<_<

Diablo III Art Director Quits, Game Remains The Same

Date: 08-08-2008 Views: 2,231

KeyWord: Diablo, Blizzard, Game

Summary: About one week ago, Blizzard has made a response to the Diablo fans' petition complaining about the Diablo III's art direction. But a few days later folks found that an open position posted on it's website.

About one week ago, Blizzard has made a response to the Diablo fans' petition complaining about the Diablo III's art direction. But a few days later folks found that an open position posted on it's website.

Art Director

Blizzard Entertainment is currently looking for a talented, motivated, and experienced art director to lead the Diablo III art team. For this position, you must be highly organized with outstanding communication skills and proven experience in management. We're looking for a proven track record of shipping AAA products in an art director role. Experience modeling and texturing assets for a diverse visual range of environments and a solid grasp of form, color, and light for both 2D and 3D art assets are also essential. You must be experienced at mentoring a team, able to work well in an environment of artists who are passionate about making great games, skilled in another art task (illustration, modeling, texturing, animation, or concept drawing), and well-versed in related tools (Maya, Photoshop, etc.).

The position posted on the site on Tuesday shows us that the Blizzard is looking for an Art Director who will be leading and mentoring the Diablo III art team. It made many people to conjecture that if something happened to Brian Morrisroe, last art director of Diablo as we know. Before long Kotaku got confirmation from Blizzard Entertainment that Brian Morrisroe, the game's previous Art Director, has indeed left the company, though his leaving had nothing to do with annoying fans or his reactions to them.

Regarding Brian, he recently resigned to form a startup company "outside the game industry", which is why we posted about the open position. That change won't impact the game...we're really pleased with the look and feel that Brian helped create for Diablo III, and the new person we bring aboard will work with other artists on the team to maintain the art style moving forward.

Anyway, I just wish the game remains the same.

Resource: Kotaku

Let see some changes now.

What's wrong with the art direction? It seemed fine.

Yeah, and the previous art director made some really good points about how the game has a variety of areas, and you don't want them all to look the same, or the game gets boring (*cough cough original Halo cough*). I'm fine with the art direction. The game will stand on it's gameplay, anyway.

What's wrong with the art direction? It seemed fine.

Some people including me feels that the current art is too bright for a Diablo series.

Petitioners feel that the graphics we've seen so far depict a world that is far too bright and cartoony for their liking, citing World of Warcraft as one of the influences ruining their dark and macabre series. Where is the light radius? Why are those shoulder pads so huge? Here's an example of something they are complaining about.

That maybe true but the publishers have chosen to begin marketing the game to the greater public... so you cant blame fans of the series of being afraid that a potentially dark & evil game will turn into sparkling rainbows of gh3yness....

so you cant blame fans of the series of being afraid that a potentially dark & evil game will turn into sparkling rainbows of gh3yness....

You mean overzealous fanboys that blow everything out of proportion and make wild and generally inaccurate statements?

Diablo is scary. I remember playing it late nights (first Diablo) and scarring myself sh^tless.

if there are games on the scary list when i was a kid it's -

Diablo

Doom (and it's sequels)

DukeNukem to an extent, but his wisecracking mutha trucking attitude kept me on high alert and ready to maim. :D

Speaking of Duke, where the hell is he? wasn't there supposed to be a game in the making that's been "in the making"

for the last 7 years? And why hasn't he got a movie? lol

Doom was kinda creepy and so was Diablo. Lol thinking back on it, the games that scared me most were the Original AVP on Jaguar and then later the PC AVP...

I think the one on Jaguar was mostly because I was younger and playing it in my Grandma's creaky old house late at night. The later one was probably due to the "alien popping out of nowhere" parts.

One game that didn't really scare me, but I still had to laugh about was the first level in Soldier of Fortune where you're going through a subway station killing all these enemies. I get through the level and at the VERY end of the level after killing 50 guys or whatever your partner jumps out and is like "JOHN!" I promptly blew his head off and failed the level. My friends and I would later joke that he may as well have gone "BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!" while waving his arms around... you'd think he'd have been a tad more subtle in such a hostile environment.

About Diablo 3's art direction... it is too early to tell. Also, people simply running the screens through photoshop isn't the same as making a 3d engine look like that. I have faith in the creators and trust their judgement on not wanting basically a black and white game with black and white bgs and black and white enemies. People seem to forget that Diablo 2 had a lot more color and variety than Diablo for the simple fact that it didn't all take place in a dungeon.

Heh... overzealous fanboys...

Doom was kinda creepy and so was Diablo. Lol thinking back on it, the games that scared me most were the Original AVP on Jaguar and then later the PC AVP...

I think the one on Jaguar was mostly because I was younger and playing it in my Grandma's creaky old house late at night. The later one was probably due to the "alien popping out of nowhere" parts.

One game that didn't really scare me, but I still had to laugh about was the first level in Soldier of Fortune where you're going through a subway station killing all these enemies. I get through the level and at the VERY end of the level after killing 50 guys or whatever your partner jumps out and is like "JOHN!" I promptly blew his head off and failed the level. My friends and I would later joke that he may as well have gone "BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!" while waving his arms around... you'd think he'd have been a tad more subtle in such a hostile environment.

About Diablo 3's art direction... it is too early to tell. Also, people simply running the screens through photoshop isn't the same as making a 3d engine look like that. I have faith in the creators and trust their judgement on not wanting basically a black and white game with black and white bgs and black and white enemies. People seem to forget that Diablo 2 had a lot more color and variety than Diablo for the simple fact that it didn't all take place in a dungeon.

Heh... overzealous fanboys...

If we're going to talk about scary games, Fatal Frame. 'Nuff said.