If Yamato made a 1/60 VF-4 would you buy it?

UN Spacy

390 members have voted

1. 1. If Yamato made a 1/60 VF-4 would you buy it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

you know, just the fact that they would (could) make a 1/60 Valkyrie that is far from the expected, I'd probably buy 2. Man, that would be one great day to see a 1/60 VF-4 under development. Hopefully if they finish off the Macross Plus Valks, they can get onto the odd Valks, like the VF-4, VF-9, VF-5000, and my favorite, the VA or VB-6. :wub::wub:

Blame the 19 dudes that voted against it. They hate this community and all that it represents. They're Macross haters! They're anti-Macross terrorists!!

Sorry, I don't handle frustration very well :p

Seriously now. It's a nice design and everything, but we should see this from Yamato's standpoint: Maybe the 4 is a bit too complex and expensive to produce for such an obscure mecha. I'm not saying it wouldn't sell, but maybe Yamato thinks it isn't such a good bussiness.

Blame the 19 dudes that voted against it. They hate this community and all that it represents. They're Macross haters! They're anti-Macross terrorists!!

Sorry, I don't handle frustration very well :p

Seriously now. It's a nice design and everything, but we should see this from Yamato's standpoint: Maybe the 4 is a bit too complex and expensive to produce for such an obscure mecha. I'm not saying it wouldn't sell, but maybe Yamato thinks it isn't such a good bussiness.

I'd imagine the Konig Monster was as obscure and they still released it.

I'd imagine the Konig Monster was as obscure and they still released it.

The Köenig was already made. Yamato merely adapted the existing 1/100 resin kit to toy form. Check them side by side and you'll see they're exactly the same, so my guess is that Yamato saw a way to make a quick buck by cutting out design, sculpt and engineering from the budget.

I'm guessing that Yamato is not thrilled by the cost/profit relation of making a VF-4 now that they're making a pretty penny from the VF-1, for example. Maybe once they dry out the VF-1 molds they'll be more willing to reconsider less popular designs. It could also happen that Yamato grows big enough to indulge themselves producing rare collector's items. I, for one, would kill for a 1/60 VF-2ss with SAP. Oh man, I just came.

1/60 VF-2SS + SAP for the WIN!

ohh sorry,

VF-4 ftw!!

If they ever make a 1/60 VF-2SS + the SAP, I'll die a happy man!!!!!!!!

And yes, Come on Yamato, make the VF-4!!!!!! You know you want too!! The VF-4 is like Grace Park from BattleStar Galactica, simple, awesome & sexy all rolled into one!!! VF-4 leads the way!! B))

TBH, PT wouldn't work and be anime-accurate. This is the only one which requires anime magic in excessive amounts to exist. Everything else has a breath of Anime Magic for life... This, I guess, is also the case in the 9 and the 3000.

in theory the VF-3000 has less anime magic going on than the VF-1 since SK designed it from the beginning with the intent of making it into a 3D figure from the start.

as for the VF-4, I think it could be done (heck it has been done) the only question is how well they adress a couple of issues.

first there's the cockpit and ventral fin. the ventral fin is supposed to fold up and the cockpit sink down, essentially into each other. the other big issue is getting the thighs to slide from the middle of the engine nacelle to the intake preferably in a way that's better than how it's done on the SHE kit.

in theory the VF-3000 has less anime magic going on than the VF-1 since SK designed it from the beginning with the intent of making it into a 3D figure from the start.

as for the VF-4, I think it could be done (heck it has been done) the only question is how well they adress a couple of issues.

first there's the cockpit and ventral fin. the ventral fin is supposed to fold up and the cockpit sink down, essentially into each other. the other big issue is getting the thighs to slide from the middle of the engine nacelle to the intake preferably in a way that's better than how it's done on the SHE kit.

I think it's pretty anime magicky. Looking at March's transformation details art, I saw a bunch of things that moved all kinds of crazy places. But that's not the issue. The VF-4 is.

It can be PT or it can be anime-accurate. If it's PT, there'll have to be numerous compromises, since Battroid isn't in scale with Fighter, and vice versa. It's like a transformers toy: It's not in scale with itself.

If it's A-A, it'll have to have certain things replaced. For example, the cockpit, as you mentioned. I don't see how that works...

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the VF-4. I just think it's the most anime magicky.

You'll end up with something like the 1/60 yf19 and 21, it will look good in fighter mode, but battroid will be wonky. some people will like it, most will endure it and some will hate it.

I've never cared for the battroid on the VF-4, and I'm not even a big fan of the fighter mode (a little too space mountain, imo) but as long as the fighter mode looks kick ass, i'll probably get it. :p

You'll end up with something like the 1/60 yf19 and 21, it will look good in fighter mode, but battroid will be wonky. some people will like it, most will endure it and some will hate it.

I've never cared for the battroid on the VF-4, and I'm not even a big fan of the fighter mode (a little too space mountain, imo) but as long as the fighter mode looks kick ass, i'll probably get it. :p

Same here. I hated the compromises of the 21 and 19, because both have such beautiful Battroid modes, but the VF-4 Battroid is wonky and ugly anyway, so if it's PT and has a good fighter mode, I don't give a damn about the compromises.

I think the VF-4 is amazing in Fighter mode, Its gerwalk mode is ok, but I must agree that the Battroid is not one of my favorites though. If they make a 1/60 I want it mostly for the fighter mode. But its fully variable.... even better!! B))

I always wondered since you only see the VF-4 for like 10 whole seconds in FB 2012, was it ever even ORIGINALLY designed to transform, or was that a later thought/concept on how it could be made as a variable Valkyrie?

Same here. I hated the compromises of the 21 and 19, because both have such beautiful Battroid modes, but the VF-4 Battroid is wonky and ugly anyway, so if it's PT and has a good fighter mode, I don't give a damn about the compromises.

Same here (again), battroid is ugly anyways so as long as fighter mode is the same who cares!

Battroid for the 21 (even in the anime) isn't that crash hot, and fighter mode is bang on perfect. Anime magic ownz>> us.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Which takes us to the big question: Which one would be legally entitled to produce the 1/60 version, Bandai or Yamato? If Bandai is making the 1/100 that means they have the Flashback rights, because Yamato holds the VFX rights. Could both companies make the VF-4 at the same scale but under two different licenses? Not that it could actually happen, mind you.

Which takes us to the big question: Which one would be legally entitled to produce the 1/60 version, Bandai or Yamato? If Bandai is making the 1/100 that means they have the Flashback rights, because Yamato holds the VFX rights. Could both companies make the VF-4 at the same scale but under two different licenses? Not that it could actually happen, mind you.

I doubt that both companies would make the the same model in the same scale-- the direct competition wouldn't be good for either company. So, if a 1/60 is made, you either get a chunky monkey but durable Bandai made, or an accurate but fragile Yamato made. It's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Personally I'd prefer Yamato to make it because I'm too young to have been bitten by the chunky monkey bug so accuracy matters more to me.

On a tangent, does anybody know why Hasegawa didn't release a 1/72 for the VF-4? They seem to be missing out on quite a few VFs that I would've thought they would make, like the VF-4, VF-11, VF-17 etc..

I don't care much too about battroid or gerwalk in the VF-4...hell Yamato could just make a big non transforming 1/60 VF-4 fighter only and I'll be a happy camper, unless they decided to charge over 100+ for it and that would just be...............greedy...YEAH I SAID IT!! eat me! hahahah

I don't care much too about battroid or gerwalk in the VF-4...hell Yamato could just make a big non transforming 1/60 VF-4 fighter only and I'll be a happy camper, unless they decided to charge over 100+ for it and that would just be...............greedy...YEAH I SAID IT!! eat me! hahahah

I ain't gonna say nothing, or Eugene'll kick my ass! Ain't that right, Eugene? :p

If Bandai is making the 1/100 that means they have the Flashback rights, because Yamato holds the VFX rights.

To my understanding, either Bandai or Yamato could make 1/60 Flashback 2012 toys, but it all depends on who has the license. There are broad spanning toy licenses like Bandai has with Macross 7, and there are licenses based on scale per series, like how Yamato has the 1/60 TV/DYRL licenses, while Bandai has Frontier.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yamato nabbed the 1/60 Flashback 2012 license to make the VF-4. The VF-4 is obscure, but it does have recognizability since it is tied to the original Macross(model shown in Hikaru's room in SDF TV series, flown by Hikaru in FB2012). Also Yamato has the TV Macross 1/60 license, so it would make sense for them to try and make the VF-4. I can see Bandai focusing more on what is going to have more widespread recognition(Frontier and any movie related Frontier toys), as well as focusing on what they already have, which has a healthy variety of designs to choose from(Macross 7). While Bandai does this, I can see Yamato going for more overlooked territory, nabbing designs that are fan favorites, but neglected.

I've been fond of the VF-4 in both fighter and battroid modes. I love the Blackbird inspired fighter mode, and the battroid mode looks brutish to me. So I'd definitely pick one up.

YES. it would be great if Yamato could make a transformable VF-4 (even just like that kit, SHE i think, i saw in that other thread), however, if it proves to be "impossible" or too complicated that it'll be prone to breaking, i agree w/ vaddict that a non-transforming VF-4 fighter would suffice.

I'd buy at least three. Maybe four. The VF-4 is hands down my favourite VF design. I absolutely adore both fighter mode and battroid mode, in much the same way Shin Densetsu Kai describes. Fighter mode looks sleek and fast, whereas battroid mode looks brutish and powerful. I don't subscribe to the idea that battroid modes must always look dainty elegant unless they're in GBP style armour.

YES. it would be great if Yamato could make a transformable VF-4 (even just like that kit, SHE i think, i saw in that other thread), however, if it proves to be "impossible" or too complicated that it'll be prone to breaking, i agree w/ vaddict that a non-transforming VF-4 fighter would suffice.

Well, if it was prone to breaking, you could just leave it in fighter mode! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah after seeing that cool model from the VF-11B thread I have to agree that if Yamato could come out with a toy half as nice as that model it would be awesome.

Bump because Graham mentioned the VF-4 was on their list of future products.

Did he? I recall in one thread he said that the VF-4 was among the products he recommended they make, but that it wasn't on the top of the list. I don't remember him saying that it was something Yamato mentioned being on their to-do list.

I certainly hope they make it. If they put out a 1/60 VF-4 I'd certainly buy three of the initial release (to display in all three modes), and one of every subsequent repaint. I might even buy four of the initial release, so I have one to abuse. I don't know if I'd be able to set the thing down for a week at least.

Did he? I recall in one thread he said that the VF-4 was among the products he recommended they make, but that it wasn't on the top of the list. I don't remember him saying that it was something Yamato mentioned being on their to-do list.

I certainly hope they make it. If they put out a 1/60 VF-4 I'd certainly buy three of the initial release (to display in all three modes), and one of every subsequent repaint. I might even buy four of the initial release, so I have one to abuse. I don't know if I'd be able to set the thing down for a week at least.

Last thing graham said about a Yamato VF-4 was that it isn't happening and that it's probably never going to happen. the only VF-4 we'll ever get from them is a little 1/200th scale and that's it.