Macross Frontier Episode 9 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 9 Rating  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate episode 9?

• Positive (Michael and Klan put an arrow my heart..awwwwww)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (I can shoot better than that womanizer)

On a more serious note, I wonder where Klan in in terms of hierarchy. Is she on the same level as Ozma as a squad leader or does Ozma oversee all S.M.S. squadrons as well as his own acting as the Macross Quarter's CAG.

In the Alto mock-training ep, Ozma said he's betting on "his guys", means that the Q-Rea team are not "his guys".

Ozma's rank is Major and Klan Klan is Captain (i'm using army ranks), so he is perhaps the highest ranking pilot in SMS, and he oversees the whole operation, while KK is team leader for her Q-Rea team.

wonder why KK's childhood friend is only Junior Lieutenant 2 ranks below KK. :ph34r::p

which reminds me, since it was mentioned that "everyone have their reasons for joining", could it be that KK joined SMS because of her loli-miclone problem? she seems very sensitive to that. :unsure:

Even with Macross Zero, it would seem our heroes are the only ones fighting the war. Sure u see some cannon fodders here and there but only very rarely. Even in ep 7, i don't think we ever saw the Pixies giving the impression Klan fights alone.....

in the vastness of spacccccceeeeeeeeeee..... No One can hear you fart... unless you got a hot mic.... :ph34r:

which reminds me, since it was mentioned that "everyone have their reasons for joining", could it be that KK joined SMS because of her loli-miclone problem? she seems very sensitive to that. :unsure:

Could be due the fact she cannot be with Michael as a miclone (unless he as a note with him at all times stating she is not underage and he isnt a pedophile :p. :ph34r:). Think about it: it would be fustrating since you love the person but you were perceived as something else. It was evident in this episode that she loves him. And we know what his response was because he got b!tch slapped for it. :lol:

Milia.

I bet Klan subscribes to Milia's secret newsletter on how to keep pilot husbands/boyfriends/potential lovers under control.

And Milia would have a field day setting up Michel and Klan, esecially since she doesn't seem to care about age.

(Yes, as much as I support Klan, there's no denying the power and beauty of Milia the President!)

Edited by d3v

I bet Klan subscribes to Milia's secret newsletter on how to keep pilot husbands/boyfriends/potential lovers under control.

And Milia would have a field day setting up Michel and Klan, esecially since she doesn't seem to care about age.

(Yes, as much as I support Klan, there's no denying the power and beauty of Milia the President!)

Well OK, I meant current series members but yes, I agree with you both. :p

I am really loving the show but i am having some qualms with it. My main one is the huge gundam influence it has taken on. First with the valks that use special packs. So now it is like every valk is it's one different machine, also the new vf-27 running around, a mystery mech. Yeah i have seen that a couple of times in gundam, and the addition of blades doesn't help either. Sure the vf-11 had a bayonet but that was different. Plus SMS being a different organization than the military with better equipment, maybe Bandai is having too much influence on the show. I am sure this has all been mentioned before but i figure i would say something since i haven't yet.

Anyway the show is still awesome and the best offering since the original. I like Alto but why does he find the need to constantly get rid of his fast packs like that will make him faster in every episode. Plus as good as he is he is always being hit. I hope in later episodes that changes because i am sure SMS doesn't have the funds to constantly fix his one valk while most people never receive damage, or not a lot of damage anyway. I do love despite the bitching i just did that Michel is a sniper. That is something that never gets old, him transformer, setting up his anchor and taking people out. I wonder who good of a pilot he really is compared to Alto or Ozma (whatever his name is) seeing as how he is always so far away from the main action.

something tells me that the Vajra's are new form of life created using the high-tech biotech engineering in the Galaxy fleet (in the previous episode it was said that theyre very advanced in these fields)

then this may also explain why the VF-27 was ordered to destroy the nest by Sheryl's "babysitter".....& since she also comes from Galaxy...she must be working undercover as a spy to ensure the info does not leak out to Frontier top officials and that all evidences are destroyed....

just my 2 cents

I don't think so. Bilrer was all surprised when he saw the Vajra ship. BTW Why the hell the Vajra need a ship??? Nah! It's all about the Protoculture guys!

Macross has always been variant-happy, they just stuck to one or two designs rather than dozens and used color schemes or add-ons. The original SDF Macross had the four main Valkyrie variants (A, D, J and S) which then had the Super and Armored variants and with DYRL, the Strike and ELINT. IMO, if Macross Frontier should be accused of anything it's being too self-referential with regards to the VF-25.

observation: Leon's NUNS faction's (or just brera's) tactical movements are bordering on inexplicable. we have (as most have observed) a valk loaded with NUNS logos all around, who is now on a mission that is in direct conflict with the mission objectives given to the SMS. So instead of just speeding into the nest and using its reflex cannon, which it seemingy could easily have done at any point anyway, what does brera do? he goes into an unprovoked dogfight with SMS, particularly against klan klan. all the time he's spending playing with klan, alto and mikhail is time that the other SMS members could have completed their mission. this just doesn't jive well with all the efforts that leon is making to hide the existence of the VF27.

sure i'm happy that brera acted this way; otherwise we wouldn't have seen all that mecha dogfight action. :)

but still, it didn't make any sense, tactically speaking. (unless klan already had samples of the nest with her? if she did, i didn't catch it).

here's a theory that explains for that, although it doesn't explain everything. brera's vf-27 and his mission is obviously top secret. leon was very concerned that no further leaks about the vf-27 would occur. klan ends up finding the nest and brera before brera can destroy it, thus brera attempts to destroy klan and alto because they have seen his valk, in an attempt to cover up the existence of the vf-27. of course, that doesn't explain why brera didn't immediately kill alto and luca in the vajra ship.

I think it is lost in translation.

different subs have different translation.

Ozma Lee command Q-Rea too

wrong. i understand japanese and this is the correct translation. q-rea team is not a part of skull squadron.

wrong. i understand japanese and this is the correct translation. q-rea team is not a part of skull squadron.

so who command q-rea squad?

can you enlighten me?

you think klan klan attend their command officer meeting as a kid, right.

during that president meeting, did you see klan klan?

so who command q-rea squad?

can you enlighten me?

you think klan klan attend their command officer meeting as a kid, right.

klan klan is the commanding officer of pixie squadron. pixie squadron obviously is not part of skull squadron if it has it's own name. and klan, despite looking like a kid, has the rank of captain.

and who we see at the president's meeting is completely irrelevant. no we don't see klan at the president's meeting, but we don't see ozma either, and ozma is the commanding officer of skull squadron.

in japanese, when the captain asks ozma if he wants to wager, this is how ozma responds:

"uchi no team ni gojyuu." this clearly translates to "50 on our team." this obviously means that pixie squadron is not ozma's team. ozma's team is skull squadron.

edit: well i didn't remember seeing ozma there anyway but i guess he was there? regardless, that is easily explained by ozma's superior rank. they prob. didn't need all of the different team leaders present in the meeting just the highest ranking one.

Edited by cyde01

I am at work right now so I can't confirm, but I do think Ozma was at the meeting. Maybe you are trying to say that Since Ozma was there and not Klan that he would also be commanding her team as well? He does have a higher rank than her. So that would not surprise me, but I do forget how Fighter Wings are commanded, so don't really know if he has direct command of Pixie Squad while in command of Skull Squad. Does this make sense or am I adding to confusion? Cause I think I just confused myself... :wacko:

I do believe that meeting was for those with long standing knowledge of the Vajra.

The Duke is right about that. The meeting was for those who knew about the Vajra. Ozuma rescued Ranka from the fleet that got nearly wiped out by the Vajra. Switching gears: My question is how did Vajra cause poverty? It was mentioned in the meeting in Ep9 that Grace (I assume it was Grace) was spying in. I still think Grace is sowing discord to SMS members hence her mentioning Michael's sister. My theory is that she is there to sabatoge efforts of gathering info on the Vajra.

Scarcity of resources -> price inflation -> poverty. As far as I can guess.

FV

war take a lot of resource away.

oh i have an idea

they should switch off all the plasma and holograph screen in the city

just by removing sheryl advertisements, i think they can save enough energy to power quarter main gun.

They may not be...remember when the Broadcast Edition of Episode 1 aired, and most of us were puzzled as to why they left out a good chunk of the battle in favor of Alto and Sheryl antics...? And then the next week, we realized just how important those antics had been as the springboard for the "What 'Bout My Earring?" storyline.

Yeah, but all I've see the past few episodes are anime cliches in a Macross packaging. I'd really just like to get on with it. Macross 7 took 10-12 eps to get around to it, so I'm hoping Frontier gets to it a little sooner.

BTW I tought death & destruction were the only issues about war in the Macross universe. :huh:

This is not Gundam boy, not Gundam. :lol:

The main story in Macross is always the drama and love triangle, the VF, war and aliens are just the spice to heat up the situation.

Anyway, I feel sorry for Klan, I think she's not very comfortable with Michael in her miclon form due to the reason Michael stated on this episode. Michael shoul macronize himself to cheer her up :mellow:

Edited by Morpheus

I am at work right now so I can't confirm, but I do think Ozma was at the meeting. Maybe you are trying to say that Since Ozma was there and not Klan that he would also be commanding her team as well? He does have a higher rank than her. So that would not surprise me, but I do forget how Fighter Wings are commanded, so don't really know if he has direct command of Pixie Squad while in command of Skull Squad. Does this make sense or am I adding to confusion? Cause I think I just confused myself... :wacko:

hmmm... if Ozma is also the CAG of SMS, aside from being the leader of skull squadron, then that would explain everything. klan would be the leader of the pixies, ozma for the skulls, and then ozma is the overall leader.

hey i may be blind but you still got the japanese wrong. you go take a japanese 101 class, 500 times for punishment. :rolleyes:

Plus SMS being a different organization than the military with better equipment

Someone pointed out elsewhere (not here on Macrossworld, though someone may have mentioned it here without my noticing) that SMS basically provides a believable method to do both the high school anime story that Kawamori has stated Frontier is meant to be and also do the usual transformable mecha war story that Macross TV series are expected to be. The real world military doesn't tend to allow much flexibility about what its members do. SMS allows Alto, Mikhail, and Luca to both attend school and work for a military employer that might (key word there) believably work to arrange its schedule around the trio's classes.

Sure, in some situations the three of them have to leave class in a hurry or otherwise skip school (note the comment about Alto and the others missing class during the conversation between Ranka and Nanase in episode 9). But they can presumeably make arrangements to avoid having to pull too much patrol duty during their normal class time, just as you might adjust your work schedule with your own employer.

You wouldn't expect the NUNS military to allow that.

after looking at VF-27, i think military still have the best hardware. Just not NUNS in frontier.

Based on what we've seen, the VF-27 is just about on par with the VF-25. It may have more technology, but performance wise they seem to be just about equal (kinda like the YF-19 and YF-21 were back in the day). The 27's advantage is that most of what it needs is built into the plane, the 25 on the other hand, uses separate FAST packs, however this is also its advantage in that it can tailor its load out depending on the mission.