Bandai talks Blu-Ray anime

Mr March

This is some really interesting news!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-...online-releases

Bandai Visual Confirms Global Blu-ray, Online Releases

New autumn strategy attempts to synchronize worldwide release dates, prices

The Japanese anime distributor Bandai Visual confirmed on Monday that it will start distributing popular anime on the Blu-ray Disc format throughout the world simultaneously this fall. The strategic shift will represent a new business model which attempts to solve the unauthorized distribution issue by doing away with regional differences in release dates and prices. It confirmed that the Freedom science-fiction anime series will be among the list of popular titles that will ship in staggered releases under this model. The discs will include subtitles in Japanese, English, and other languages.

Bandai Visual also confirmed that another Namco Bandai Group company, Bandai Channel, plans to sell downloads of its contents. Instead of streaming, the companies are aiming to sell downloads for specialized devices to protect their copyrighted materials.

The confirmations came in a press release that announced that Bandai Visual will introduce 10 theatrical films into the Blu-ray Disc rental market in Japan on July 25. Those 10 titles are: Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise, Mobile Police Patlabor: The Movie, Mobile Police Patlabor 2: The Movie, WXIII Mobile Police Patlabor, Jin-Roh, Avalon (live-action), Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Mobile Suit Gundam F91, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door, and Escaflowne.

Nikkei's IT Plus news site reported on Sunday that Bandai Visual would change its strategy, and Tatsunori Konno has been outlining some of these plans in his final blog entries as the president of Bandai Visual USA before returning to Japan.

Source: Nikkei Net

Update: To clarify, the ten films that Bandai Visual is offering to the Japanese rental market are not necessarily films that it will also release globally with subtitles.

So it sounds like not all releases are created equal....

Well, this kinda confirms some stuff we knew all along: Bandai Visual wants all of us to pay Japanese prices for anime, and doesn't want Japanese customers reverse importing discs (probably why they screw up so many US releases).

This could be a good thing if we start seeing Japanese-quality discs of good shows (DYRL, Gunbuster) with English subs, even if we have to pay a bit more. But I predict the worst: Engrish subs at ungodly prices, and fewer licenses to US companies.

Bascially, Finally.

They should have done this a loooooong time ago if they really were concerned with international piracy. Official discs with lots of languages in Subtitle form. I can't tell you how much happier I woul dhave been to get Evangelion and Escaflown and Berserk right from the source over waiting sometimes years for official releases. Here's to hoping that Macross Frontier gets this type of treatment early.

But I predict the worst: Engrish subs at ungodly prices, and fewer licenses to US companies.

The titles they list so far already have English sub releases so there shouldn't be a problem there. But yes, $50/volume probably isn't going to go over well.

Well, this kinda confirms some stuff we knew all along: Bandai Visual wants all of us to pay Japanese prices for anime, and doesn't want Japanese customers reverse importing discs (probably why they screw up so many US releases).

This could be a good thing if we start seeing Japanese-quality discs of good shows (DYRL, Gunbuster) with English subs, even if we have to pay a bit more. But I predict the worst: Engrish subs at ungodly prices, and fewer licenses to US companies.

While that is a concern, I don't think that'll pan out. They're moaning about not paying already US-prices, I don't see many willing to tolerate paying more.

I think it's more like you said with DYRL, those rabid fans of the shows can now buy them immediately instead of waiting for a year or forever.

Will they finally use actual Blu-ray cases and not DVD ones?

Great now we can pay more for non subbed anime from bandai visual...God I hate bandai visual. Freakin scam atrists. I vow to never buy an overpriced bandai visual product.

I forsee a bad future for dubbed anime if other companies follow.

Dubbed anime should have been dead years ago. This whole scenario would be much more appealing though, if Japan didn't bone themselves on DVD/Blue Ray prices. Though 7 years ago they were at $99 per disc, so maybe in a few more years, they'll go down to normal levels.

Dubbed anime should have been dead years ago. This whole scenario would be much more appealing though, if Japan didn't bone themselves on DVD/Blue Ray prices. Though 7 years ago they were at $99 per disc, so maybe in a few more years, they'll go down to normal levels.

Stands With Fist speaks the truth. Let the dubs die.

I'm not going to draw into a dub/sub argument, but I'm alright with them as long as the quality goes up, but it's been stagnant. They seem to have the same voices with low range and they've had it for so long. Either improve them or drop them and sell the stuff for less.

About sub quality, Nitendo and those gamehouses have been doing it for years so there's no reason why they can't have competent hires.

I disagree...if I want subbed anime I can simply download a fansub. I prefer the dubs in most cases because I read too much already...sometimes one wants to just sit down and relax and not miss the action while reading.

I disagree...if I want subbed anime I can simply download a fansub. I prefer the dubs in most cases because I read too much already...sometimes one wants to just sit down and relax and not miss the action while reading.

I love dubs when the voice acting and script are good. But they almost never are, so for me it's mostly subs.

About sub quality, Nitendo and those gamehouses have been doing it for years so there's no reason why they can't have competent hires.

Yeah, but Nintendo is an awesome company that doesn't, er, hate its non-Japanese customers.

Edited by danth

Simultaneous releases are a move in the right direction. What's left is for a real revolution in pricing for their domestic market. Perhaps the tail can wag the dog this time? Otherwise, this will only be another footnote in the victory of p2p distribution over traditional media. Make it high quality AND price it to fight with FREE, or eat dirt. That's the reality as I see it.

Simultaneous release, with no region coding and subtitles in multiple languages is definitely the way to go.

Heck, I wish they would consider this for DVD as well, not just BluRay.

If Frontier get's this treatment, I'll probably bite the bullet and get a BluRay player.

Heck, even though I'm far from rich, I don't mind paying Japanese prices for discs if it's for a show I really like.

Graham

Simultaneous releases are a move in the right direction. What's left is for a real revolution in pricing for their domestic market. Perhaps the tail can wag the dog this time? Otherwise, this will only be another footnote in the victory of p2p distribution over traditional media. Make it high quality AND price it to fight with FREE, or eat dirt. That's the reality as I see it.

You can NEVER price it low enough to fight and win against P2P distributed free anime. Also - Low prices doesn't always equate to higher sales or higher profit.

As more and more fans prefer to take anime via P2P and not put their money back into the industry, the anime industry will continue to shrink and likely lead to higher prices. With less product and higher prices, perhaps anime fandom too will diminish. And that might not be such a bad thing.

Edited by Vifam7

You can NEVER price it low enough to fight and win against P2P distributed free anime. Also - Low prices doesn't always equate to higher sales or higher profit.

As more and more fans prefer to take anime via P2P and not put their money back into the industry, the anime industry will continue to shrink and likely lead to higher prices. With less product and higher prices, perhaps anime fandom too will diminish. And that might not be such a bad thing.

Somehow iTunes worked out pretty ok for Apple and their media partners (although the latter have been getting greedier with demands for higher prices). At the 'right' price, fair-minded fans WILL pay to support their favorite shows. Those won't pony-up a measly, let's say $2~5 per quality ep won't bother paying $30+ per BR-disc anyway. Pricing it low for web-distributed episodes means they actually get some revenue from those who want their fix now, and who may actually pay a premium for the BR+special features later.

Somehow iTunes worked out pretty ok for Apple and their media partners (although the latter have been getting greedier with demands for higher prices).

iTunes works but IIRC it's not really generating bountiful profits for those rights holders.

Besides, anime is a different product altogether. First of all, it's a very niche product with a narrow customer base that is fickle and lately accustomed to getting the product for free.

At the 'right' price, fair-minded fans WILL pay to support their favorite shows. Those won't pony-up a measly, let's say $2~5 per quality ep won't bother paying $30+ per BR-disc anyway. Pricing it low for web-distributed episodes means they actually get some revenue from those who want their fix now, and who may actually pay a premium for the BR+special features later.

And what is the "right price"? The right price I think is $0

Look at this way, if Macross Frontier was available for download (with English subs) for $2-$5 per episode how many fans do you think will pony up when they know a HDTV quality fansub is available for download FOR FREE via bittorent?

Edited by Vifam7

iTunes works but IIRC it's not really generating bountiful profits for those rights holders.

Besides, anime is a different product altogether. First of all, it's a very niche product with a narrow customer base that is fickle and lately accustomed to getting the product for free.

Which takes us right back to this thread: http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=24317

And what is the "right price"? The right price I think is $0

Look at this way, if Macross Frontier was available for download (with English subs) for $2-$5 per episode how many fans do you think will pony up when they know a HDTV quality fansub is available for download FOR FREE via bittorent?

Shrug. If you won't pay, you won't. Ethics is a personal choice.

Considering this is Bandai Visual, I'm not how much there is to get excited about.

These are the same guys who charge $80 for a no frills DVD release, or only release the Blu-Ray and regular DVD together in the same package. Simultaneous releases with english subs sounds good, but they will f*ck it up somehow or at the very least charge a small fortune for it.