Transformers Super Thread 7

Just got Stealth BB at Walmart, I asked them if they did price matches, and matched the Target price of $6.99! If you are going to try this, try to bring an ad with the price, I don't think it was ever posted in an ad, but its good to bring some sort of proof just in case.

The contrast due to the gunmetal limbs is good. The right side of the head on mine has some of the grills painted, rather than the spaces inbetween on the left side. This is on a few parts, but since its small, its disappointing but not a major deal to me.

The joints on mine are tighter than on my CC BB. My main disappointment is that the paint has a matte coat as opposed to a gloss coat.

Other than that, the new paint job makes it look unique and different enough from CC BB to warrant a purchase. If you don't own a CCBB mold yet, skip the Premium, and get this one.

I'd just like to restate that Dlx Movie Brawl rocks. Fixing the shoulders is quite simple, and just like Dlx vs Ult Concept BB---I think the Dlx one looks better than the leader.

PS---Deep Space Starscream at Target.com, says it ships in 24 hours: http://www.target.com/dp/B00102V2ZY/ref=t_th_em_is

David, do you have leader Brawl?

Because the Leader sized lives up to the design art way better than his deluxe lil buddy.

No, I've looked at and "played with" Leader Brawl many times in the store though. He just "looks weird" to me. Especially with his main gun hanging off his hip. He's got most of his armor plates behind his legs instead of on the sides, but visually, dlx Brawl looks better to me in every other aspect. Leader Brawl just has funky proportions, especially his upper torso/back.

So in anticipation of buying the Animated figures when they are released, does anybody know which Bulkhead (Voyager or Leader) or which Prime (Supreme or Deluxe) will be in proper scale with the other Deluxe Autobots (Bumblebee, Ratchet and Prowl)?

Man the scales are confusing especially with Voyager Blitzwing being bigger than Lugnut. What's up with that?

So in anticipation of buying the Animated figures when they are released, does anybody know which Bulkhead (Voyager or Leader) or which Prime (Supreme or Deluxe) will be in proper scale with the other Deluxe Autobots (Bumblebee, Ratchet and Prowl)?

Leader Bulkhead is closer to scale with the Autobots in robot mode. In vehicle mode, voyager Bulkhead is appropriate. Voyager Bulkhead and Lugnut don't look that out of scale when in vehicle mode with the rest of the figures.

Are we talking scale or size? When I think of Transformers being "in scale" I kinda go by the vehicle modes, and expect the robot modes to be all different sizes, but still the same scale. Since a semi truck is certainly going to turn into something larger than what a sports car would.

I think the size of Leader Bulkhead looks better with the rest of the crew (from pics I've seen), but I think I'll stick with the Voyager size version I already have. I watched the video review of Leader Bulkhead a couple of times and there are too many things on it that bug me, like the permanent sawblade in the hand, the big light-up Autobot logo-button that activates the sounds, and the overall look of how the pieces sit in bot mode. I like the simplicity and sleekness of the Voyager much better.

That said, in a few months I'll probably be sitting here with every available Bulkhead toy lined up in front of me. :wacko:

Guest sh002

with toynami distributing 1/55 vf-1's in the us, does that mean a reissue jetfire is possible?

PS---Deep Space Starscream at Target.com, says it ships in 24 hours: http://www.target.com/dp/B00102V2ZY/ref=t_th_em_is

Heh, don't know how I missed this post before making my own repeat of it. Anyway, I ordered it last night and got an email this morning saying it shipped already.

I have Thundercracker, that's enough for me on that mold. I'm just waiting for a leader-class movie SS from the second movie now... :) (And hopefully a leader Barricade, and a $100 "perfect" Prime)

Allspark's saying that Deep Space Starscream's sold out on Target.com now. That went pretty quickly.

Wow that did sell out fast. I was on the fence about ordering it, but I guess it's too late now.

:huh:

I already have the Thundercracker G1 paint scheme version, but this new shiny paint scheme looks cool.

My Henkei Astrotrain arrived today. Very happy with it. I'd prefer that the chrome thrusters and backpiece were paint instead of chrome, but it does look pretty snazzy nonetheless. Also happy with the prominent Con logos on the wings.

Tformers has pics of Henkei Hot Rod here, and I was prepared to pass on him, but not anymore. Slavishly G1, and much more to my liking. I always thought the Classics version looked too dark, the red was almost maroon.

Tformers also reports that they're going to offer two versions of Binaltech "Arcee". One in pink and silver, like we saw, and another called "Paradron Medic" which is in light blue and silver. I might pick up the "medic" because I think it looks a little bit like Blurr. I think they're intending it as another female character, but I'm sorry, the head is *not* female, and the build does little to suggest that it might be at all feminine. Blurr, on the other hand, works, especially since he's supposed to have a shield.

Huh. Depending on how the colours look I might nab the medic version. Beyond that, it's really too bad the first Binaltech release in so long is a really lazy repaint, without even a new head. It's too bad, I still think if they did new Binaltech releases at a slow pace, and put some decent work into them, the line could continue as a very nice compliment to the Masterpiece toys.

Heck, I'd even go for a lazy repaint of Skids as Ironhide.

Heck, I'd even go for a lazy repaint of Skids as Ironhide.

I keep hoping that that would have been an SDCC exclusive at least. The problem now is that with Classics Ironhide on the horizon, the chance of a BinAlt Ironhide repaint of anything has become even slimmer.

My Deep Space Starscream arrived from Target.com already. That was pretty darn quick. I tried taking pics of him to compare, but he's just too shiny. I think what I like best about him is the head detail which I know better matches the movie.

I love the new cartoon. Despite what some say i think it is great. The nods to the original and the movie are outstanding. Just saw the garbage in, garbage out episode featuring wreck-gar. Voiced by Weird Al the show was entertaining and he said that he Dared To Be Stupid and used the universal greeting!! Can't wait to see what else they throw in. Plus the actor doing the voice of Ultra Magnus does a great Robert Stack impersonation.

I just cancelled my preorders for Animated...

ultimately - despite the nice effort - I'm going to stick to G1.

EDIT: That and I've decided to get the whole Gundam 00 collection instead ! :) (HG)

VFTF1

Edited by VFTF1

I posted this on another site, but thought it might be of interest here since we were discussing these previously:

I'm going to have to get some ebay auctions up this weekend to offload my original movie figures.

They really should call this "Metallic" instead of "Premium" series because that's pretty much what these repaints are. Short little bites on each one I've acquired so far:

Jazz. The original pics I saw of him didn't do him any justice, because you couldn't see a difference, and pics like the one on BBTS did little to highlight any of the added detail. In hand he's even shinier and more of a contrast to the original, all in a good way. What I like best, and what *really* helps the arms is that the insides are now black which better hides that it's a hood panel on a hood panel. The head has gold paint detail which is something I didn't see at first, but is a definite plus over the original. Plus, of course, all the other added paint detail on the legs. If I remember right, most of the negative reviews of Jazz when he was first released was that his deco was pretty boring. This repaint completely addresses that problem.

Barricade. I wish the the windows weren't frosted, but it does help him look sharper and more metallic in bot mode. I'll begrudgingly admit that they made a smart choice by frosting them. All the little tampo details are nice and really help break up the monochrome color of the arms. There's even a paint detail or two that aren't immediately obvious, but are definitely a positive asset when you do zoom in on them. But with all that said, it's the head that's the best part of this repaint. I used to say that there wasn't a discernable difference between the two as to which one was more accurate to the movie. Now that I have both in hand, there's no contest, the Premium's superior in every way. The original Barry looks like a soulless drone next to the premium. Only negative I'll say is that I wish Frenzy was painted in the same silver as the face.

Leader Megatron. I never bought the original leader figure because, well, the color made it look like cheap crap. It accentuated what I didn't like about the design. I've since warmed to the design, but still hate that original color scheme. The premium is much more to my liking. I do wish the base was more silver than it is gray. The gold highlights do help though. I was surprised to find out that he can do a fusion cannon pose similar to the movie(I never followed up on any review of the figure because I hated the color). The arm gimmicks aren't too bad. My one complaint is that despite having massive clawlike feet, barely any of it actually supports the figure. He should be able to do a large number of dynamic poses, but because the claws essentially retract when any weight's put against them, he balances on too small a surface area than is needed.

Blackout. Holy crap. This is another one I was wrong about. The original figure looks like a toy helicopter, but this looks like a real helicopter. The blue base color used and the little details really make this look gritty and real world. I was wrong about robot mode. The online pictures make it look bone white when it's really more of a gray. It looks like the idea is to make it look like there's blue panels adhered to the legs and arms like was seen in the movie, and it does work a bit better on this color scheme than it did on the original. The best part, and something you don't focus on in the online pics, is the silver paint used on the chest, head, and pelvis. Between that and the base blue color used, there's no doubt that this feels more like the helicopter to robot you saw in the opening of the movie. Legends Scorponok looks in much better company with the premium too.

Deep Space Starscream. Shiny. Shiny and metallic and silver. I really like the tampo detail on the tail fins and the added metallic paint detail that contrasts with each other within the exposed chest, but what I think I like best is how well detailed the head looks with these paint apps.

Best Buy Ratchet. Definitely better, no doubt. Essentially the outer shell that forms the hummer is a metallic green, the rest is normal green like the original with an occassional metallic gold added to a "plate" here or there. The head is in all metallic colors, and this is his biggest asset since it's now easier to make out the facial detail there. I'm not seeing any tiny details that were added just yet like on the others. The base metallic green feels much more real world than the green on the original which looks more toyish in comparison, but he's still not the huge jump in detailing like the others were. I didn't do the "Whoa!' to the metallic green on Ratchet like I did to the blue on Blackout.

To sum up. All of these look surprisingly better in hand than they do in the already excellent pics in this thread. Still need to find Prime and Ironhide. Don't know if I'll go for the Bee since I have the Screen Battles version.

Still need to find Prime and Ironhide.

Prime won't be hard to find, the last leader cases to ship will have nothing but him.

Don't know if I'll go for the Bee since I have the Screen Battles version.

Don't. If you want the battle mask, get the Stealth version instead. I have CC BB, and now the stealth, and though its just a new head and paint job, it looks great in hand. I was originally going to swap heads with my CC BB, but I was so impressed that I didn't. I like both of them as they are. Surprisingly there are some parts that were molded in black. Initial previews made it seem like all the black was painted on. Premium Bumblebee looks boring compared to the first CC BB, and stealth.

If I remember right, most of the negative reviews of Jazz when he was first released was that his deco was pretty boring.

I would have liked a metallic paint job, but what dissapointed me was the leg articulation, as well as the arms. The elbows are weird, but as dissapointing as those are, his knees do not have a good range of motion. I also didn't like how far back is head is in robot mode, nor how low it is. Robot mode looks awesome, the design of the character is a strength, but the articulation issues outweigh how good the robot mode looks.

Leader Megatron. I never bought the original leader figure because, well, the color made it look like cheap crap. It accentuated what I didn't like about the design. I've since warmed to the design, but still hate that original color scheme. The premium is much more to my liking. I do wish the base was more silver than it is gray. The gold highlights do help though. I was surprised to find out that he can do a fusion cannon pose similar to the movie(I never followed up on any review of the figure because I hated the color). The arm gimmicks aren't too bad. My one complaint is that despite having massive clawlike feet, barely any of it actually supports the figure. He should be able to do a large number of dynamic poses, but because the claws essentially retract when any weight's put against them, he balances on too small a surface area than is needed.

Didn't buy the first Megatron for the same reasons. I like Premium Megatron a lot, I like the robot design better than the CGI counterpart(its more balanced on the toy, as opposed to looking like an aluminum foil Rocklord onscreen), but what is most dissapointing to me is head articulation. At first I didn't think it would bother me, various fans were saying it was blasphemous that his head couldn't even move, I thought to myself, "yea big deal". Its not dissapointing enough to stop me from buying it, but its dissapointing that he can't look where he is aiming. Be careful when transforming. Don't have the gold hip pieces facing forward when in jet mode like on the box, as it bends the hip panels. While switching spring locations in the arm, a small spring for the trigger flew and I can't find it. Luckily this wasn't the big spring used for enabling the cannon(shooting his hand when switched). This happen to anyone else? It hasn't affected anything, I think its just used to raise the trigger higher, but with the big/tougher spring in there to shoot the hand, the trigger is held up naturally due to the tension, at least I think/hope so. Articulation aside that is good, but ball jointed ankles like on Leader Prime would have been better.

Premium Prime is nice. I don't think the head is based on the final CG renders. It looks like this time around, the head was sculpted after the promotional images of Prime that are on the gift bags, greeting cards, ads and whatever else you can find outside the toy section in department stores. The sword is a great touch, but the orange paint on the blade is not thick enough. Maybe its just me but the head automorph is quicker than the first Leader Prime. The sword attachement is knocked off when trying to flip the right hand out(after the sword is automorphed back into its hidden position facing backwards). The head sculpt is awesome. The metallic paint is a nice touch, in coordination with the lighter grey plastic, however I wish the metallic silver was more liberally used, like on Robovision Prime.

I'm almost done with my movie collection, just a few more figures to go and I am satisfied. I didn't buy one of every figure, just the ones I wanted. I have to say, this line had a lot of playability and detail. I was very happy and surprised by this line. Leader Prime is the most complex mainline Prime, and yet not difficult to transform. This is the first time in a very long time that we have a mainline Prime who is imposing, yet not having a combining gimmick. The automorph gimmick is now one of my favorites, and I am glad it is used on the upcoming Universe as well as Animated figures. The line has is similar to Beast Wars, where every mainline figure is fully articulated, and has self contained gimmicks. Its a shame that some figures had gimmicks that completely compromised the aesthetic(Starscream), or a design that ruined the articulation(Jazz). As bloated as Starscream looks, I've seen worse, and enjoy the toy a lot. We got fully articulated Bumblebee figures with weaponry. We got Real Gears. There was something for everyone in this line. Hell we even got off screen(well they didn't transform in the film) Transformers, like Incinerator and Landmine, both enjoyable figures.

I was a fan who didn't think we would get a good toyline. It wasn't until we saw our first glimpses of protoform Optimus from Puma King in China that I started to reconsider. This isn't the best Transformers line ever conceived, but its one of the best.

Didn't buy the first Megatron for the same reasons. I like Premium Megatron a lot, I like the robot design better than the CGI counterpart(its more balanced on the toy, as opposed to looking like an aluminum foil Rocklord onscreen), but what is most dissapointing to me is head articulation. At first I didn't think it would bother me, various fans were saying it was blasphemous that his head couldn't even move, I thought to myself, "yea big deal". Its not dissapointing enough to stop me from buying it, but its dissapointing that he can't look where he is aiming. Be careful when transforming. Don't have the gold hip pieces facing forward when in jet mode like on the box, as it bends the hip panels. While switching spring locations in the arm, a small spring for the trigger flew and I can't find it. Luckily this wasn't the big spring used for enabling the cannon(shooting his hand when switched). This happen to anyone else? It hasn't affected anything, I think its just used to raise the trigger higher, but with the big/tougher spring in there to shoot the hand, the trigger is held up naturally due to the tension, at least I think/hope so. Articulation aside that is good, but ball jointed ankles like on Leader Prime would have been better.

Dissappointed with the head too, and getting those legs just right when going to ship mode is a real PITA. Without the spring in the left arm, does the deployable fusion cannon stay in place or does it fold out if you tip it forward?

getting those legs just right when going to ship mode is a real PITA

It is, oh goodness it is. You should have seen my disgust when I saw the hip/groin plates bent forward due to the stress. The gold trimmed thigh/hip joints should not be facing forward in jet mode.

Without the spring in the left arm, does the deployable fusion cannon stay in place or does it fold out if you tip it forward?

It stays in place due to the gear mechanism. I honestly think the spring was a mistake in the factory, it really should be on the right arm. Switching the spring improves both arms, not just one.

Kinda disappointed with Velocity. Was watching it, without sound (TV's not in the kitchen) when I saw BB racing 4 street racers. Then they showed a rig and I'm thinking, Alright! Stunticons! Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be a bunch of human street racers. Booo. Missed opportunity there. Missed opportunity.

Nothing much to add to the ongoing discussion.

Just wanted to note that I just got Lockdown, and he rocks.

This is my first transformer in 15...maybe 20 years (I was gonna get MP starscream but didn't), and I can't think of a better way to reintroduce myself to the line.

This animated line is slick!

This is the first time I've wanted a repaint to come out...I need an excuse to get another on these.

Is that... Whirl in one of those pics?!

I think that's Shockwave.

Found Premium Prime and Ironhide today on a quick scout of a Walmart I don't usually hit.

About Prime, the new sword is so much better than the gun it's not even funny. It's far better integrated into the arm, and it just *looks* cooler. I had no idea that it was retractable too. When I opened it up I said to myself "Ok, where's the orange on the sword the people online were talking about...<click>...THERE it is! COOL!" And it's not like he's been deprived of a long range gun either because he still has the arm gun underneath that you can deploy. Being a movie accurate weapon is just the icing on the cake.

I thought I preferred the old head design, but now that I have them side by side, I definitely prefer the new one. Why? It's about proportions. The new head is narrower and longer and it has the effect of slimming the entire bulk of the body out. It's not a dramatic effect, but it *is* there, whereas on the old version the head looks kind of squat. The silver paint on the legs and on other parts is really nice, but where it really shines in bot mode is on the chest and pelvis. From across the room, you can really make out the grill now and the entire torso just really grabs your attention. I haven't gone to truck mode yet, but I already like the silver on the hub caps, grill, and gas tanks.

There's only two negatives about the new paint apps. They covered up the gold lateral paint apps on the knees, which I really think they should have kept, and the most unfortunate paint app, the autobot symbol on the grill is no longer red and is now entirely silver.

Ironhide has color now! Looks like they were going for the glowing look he had during his first night time scenes in the movie. The blue is brighter than it was on the old figure and there's more of it as well as more gold here and there. The weapons are no longer as monochromatic as they were. The only questionable paint app is on the eyes. They painted the eyes *and* the outline around the eyes so at first the eyes look too large. I think this was done to reflect that glow you see in the movie. One of the problems I had with the previous version was that you couldn't make out *any* of the facial detail unless you had your face right up against his. That's not as much a problem any more.

Truck mode is also similarily improved. I kind of wish they didn't frost the windows here either, but it doesn't detract too much. All the little details are there, the lights are better detailed as are the exhaust pipes and ribbing on the roof. He's defnitely much more improved all the way around. The eyes are the only thing that was a little off putting, but I'm starting to get used to them.

Edited by Alpha OTS

It is, oh goodness it is. You should have seen my disgust when I saw the hip/groin plates bent forward due to the stress. The gold trimmed thigh/hip joints should not be facing forward in jet mode.

I didn't know exactly what you were talking about when I first read this. Sigh, but now I do. Thankfully I did catch it early before repeated transforms turned it into something nasty.

It stays in place due to the gear mechanism. I honestly think the spring was a mistake in the factory, it really should be on the right arm. Switching the spring improves both arms, not just one.

I'm going to have to try this.

I didn't know exactly what you were talking about when I first read this. Sigh, but now I do. Thankfully I did catch it early before repeated transforms turned it into something nasty.

I'm glad you did man. Mine doesn't look terrible but its dissapointing to see the plastic bent, when its not supposed to be.

I'm going to have to try this.

Its worth it trust me, afterwards, you'll wonder why they even put that spring into that arm to begin with!

If you open up the left arm to place the big spring in, can you find out if the small spring on the trigger is even necessary? Mine flew into a random spot in my room! The big spring from the left arm is the most important, but I am wondering if the small spring on the trigger of the right is important(I hope not!).

Also I have Stealth bumblebee and I lost one of his shoulder guards. Those guards are a PITA!