Transformers Super Thread 7

I was just at Target, and they have NO non-exclusive deluxes. Just tons of old Cybetron repaints etc.

Did find Premium Jazz and Barricade at Wal-mart. Sigh, Barricade looks better (chrome lettering is awesome), but the toy still inherently sucks IMHO. Amazing that Concept BB and Dropkick are so good, and Barricade is like a giant go-bot with the entire side of the car as arm-kibble, and NO chest/hood/bumper transformation--just the head pops up. They really need to make BB's designer THE head TF designer. Maybe the next movie will give Barricade the toy he deserves.

Well, got my Masterpiece Starscream. Bring on Masterpiece Thundercracker! Hell, I'm up for Thrust, Ramjet, and Dirge while they're at it.

Speaking of MP Starscream, my crown and cape set arrived yesterday from BBTS. I'm glad I paid only $14.99 (plus shipping) for it, as that's about what it is worth, imho. The gold paint on the shoulder bits was a bit flaky when I took it out of the packaging (gold "dust" was on my hands), but it hasn't been coming off since. The crown is decent, though it fits almost too snug and doesn't sit as low as I would have liked. The sculpting on both is great, however, and the plastic feels very quality to me. The only bit that's an absolute joke is the tattered, frayed, paper-thin piece of fabric they call a cape. I may be spoiled by high end 1/6 figure clothing these days, but even my wife took a look at it and laughed. "I'll sew you a much better one," she promised.

I also have an Ultra Magnus armor set on preorder (made by the same company), so I'm only slightly worried. The plastic, as I said, should be fine. The paint may be iffy.

The gold paint on the shoulderpads on mine was put on kind of sloppily. I'm pretty happy with the set though. The cape is about what I expected, although mine wasn't frayed or tattered. Unfortunately the hip kibble kind of hurts the cape aesthetic. If you push it back like normal, it pushes the cape back and you can't see as much of it.

Sounds like you got luckier than I did, but don't get me wrong, I'm still happy I picked one up. Starscream just looks so damned dignified with that getup. Of course, you have to use the smirking face or the effect doesn't work as well. ^_^

Having had a chance to play around with him for a day, I think owning the cartoon colour version of Starscream has only reinforced my desire for TakaraTomy to release a version with the Skywarp/Cartoon Starscream fixes to the toy, but in the first release colours and details. Especially when Cartoon SS is placed next to Skywarp. With his little "No Step" details and the much more subtle old USAF version of the Decepticon logo he looks a lot less...well, cartoony. Plus the first release colours were just more interesting. Like, this wasn't G1 Starscream as he appeared in the show, but a new and improved Starscream. Rebuilt and upgraded for the Alternators era.

Of course, I realize that I'm in the minority and that it's unlikely to ever happen. I might nab a first release SS and just rarely transform him, if I can ever find one for a reasonable price.

The weathering isn't bad on mine. I got a Japanese import version of the US colours, since they were the same price. The weathering isn't nearly as severe and horrible looking as on the product photos seen for the US release. The paint apps seem noticeably messier than Skywarp's, making Skywarp look like a collector's toy, while SS was made for...well...Walmart.

Though, his wing flaps and the fuselage pieces on either side of his intakes seem to come off far too easily, a problem I never had with Skywarp.

Other than that, I am glad that I finally have a Masterpiece Starscream. This version, other than the flaps, is pretty much what I expected. He's still, by far, the best SS toy I've ever had, and he certainly compares more than favourably to standard line Transformers.

I'm looking forward to more MP releases, Soundwave is high on my wishlist, along with other non-car Transformers. They're really an ideal compliment to the Alternators line, negating both of my dissapointments with that line, the lack of alt-mod variety, and the lack of Decepticons.

Edited by Radd

I was just at Target, and they have NO non-exclusive deluxes. Just tons of old Cybetron repaints etc.

Did find Premium Jazz and Barricade at Wal-mart. Sigh, Barricade looks better (chrome lettering is awesome), but the toy still inherently sucks IMHO. Amazing that Concept BB and Dropkick are so good, and Barricade is like a giant go-bot with the entire side of the car as arm-kibble, and NO chest/hood/bumper transformation--just the head pops up. They really need to make BB's designer THE head TF designer. Maybe the next movie will give Barricade the toy he deserves.

I just came back from Target. You can tell they're phasing out the TF movie stock now. A large part of what's left is Cybertron repaints though. There's barely any figures left. The new Hulk merchandise is replacing it on the pegs(and is also some of the WORST movie figure assortments I've ever seen). They had a decent selection of Legends versus packs, and I did pick up the Legends BumbleBee and Scorponok set. I *just* found out that this scale Scorponok figure exists recently, and had to have it. It's ironic that it's a better proportioned and articulated figure than it's deluxe counterpart. I'm going to try and fit it into Blackout's cage, but I've already been told it doesn't fit. I'm going to try anyway. :D

Anyway, seeing as Target is getting rid of their movie stock, I panicked. I was hoping to see these last premium waves pop up locally, but it hasn't happened yet and I don't want to have to patrol like a hawk to find them. I just ordered a bunch of premium stuff from BBTS(basically bent over and took it :blink: ) and Hasbrotoyshop.com. I hope I didn't miss the window on Leader Premium Prime. He's sold out at both places.

Of course, I'll walk into a Walmart next week on a whim and probably find the whole lot...... <_<

I just came back from Target. You can tell they're phasing out the TF movie stock now.

Deluxes are down to $6.99. Sadly, most of whats on the pegs are multiples of Payloads! Animated should start hitting next month, and by then, the only movie figures I don't think will hit clearance are the leaders. Animated leaders will hit in August, so I think that brief 2 month window of time is our only chance to get the Premium Leaders at Target. I haven't even seen any Premiums at Target aside from the voyagers.

I'm wondering that too ... but my impression from reading on the TF forum sites, is that BBTS has a set amount of units they can sell, which they've set their pre-order to stop taking once reached. I think that's the case.

:huh:

Deluxes are down to $6.99. Sadly, most of whats on the pegs are multiples of Payloads!

At least the deluxes are multiples of Landmines heres so if you have to settle for one movie deluxe, at least its a good one that was technically in the movie.

Why don't you wait for the Japanese Optimus Prime Battle Mode version? More paint and LOTS OF CHROME.

I guess there's always that, but I was put off by the chrome on the feet. Not because of how it looks, but because he'll be standing on something that I don't want chipping.

Why don't you wait for the Japanese Optimus Prime Battle Mode version? More paint and LOTS OF CHROME.

Yeah and nearly, or a bit more than double the price.

Not because of how it looks, but because he'll be standing on something that I don't want chipping.

Same here.

Metallic paint like on Cybertron Galvatron>chrome

in my opinion.

I finally got a Movie dlx Brawl, after reading about a fix for his shoulders here: http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/J...Toys/Brawl.html(scroll down to bottom)

I've done the first part (filing grooves in the tabs on the turret sides) and it seems to work quite well. Has anyone actually tried this besides me? Filing grooves where the tabs stick into seems difficult at best, and it'd be very difficult to make them "match" the grooves on the turret tabs to actually grab together. If it can actually "lock" the shoulders together I'd try, but right now I'm (almost) satisfied with the improvements gained just from filing the turret tabs.

PS--Brawl suffers heavily from "guy writing the instructions forgot a lot of things". Namely, the entire turret and what can be done. He looks much more screen-accurate with the main barrel removed, barrel base slid down on its track, and turned 180. Plus turning the upper turret 180, sliding out the rocket launcher "arms" then fiddling with the rocket launchers until they match the leader-class design.

Are they actually yellow, or just how those captures look? Because IIRC they were distinctly G1 lime green from their brief pre-appearance in the "out camping in the snow-filled forest" episode. Or were those 2 Decepticon-logoed-construction-vehicles unrelated? (and I still do see the occasional lime green construction vehicle out there--they're still around)

Wel - I just preordered the entire Wave 1 deluxes (6-piece w/Black Arachnia) and the three Voyagers from Animated from BBTS.

I really like Leader Bulkhead and I really hate Leader Megatron - but it might be that Leader Megatron is horribly mistransformed in that picture...

But shelling out 100 bucks for two essentially super-deformed leader class Transformers just ain't gonna happen ;)

Still - what with Swindle, Wreck Gar and Shockwave going to appear in Animated - and the Dinobots and a few others - the line is looking up and I decided to take the plunge. Oh - and the cartoon kicks butt too :)

VFTF1

A short clip of "Rise of the Constructicons" is up on Youtube now. No sound but it doesn't matter since it's from a middle eastern channel so it's dubbed in Arabic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPStoVWquHI

Are they actually yellow, or just how those captures look? Because IIRC they were distinctly G1 lime green from their brief pre-appearance in the "out camping in the snow-filled forest" episode. Or were those 2 Decepticon-logoed-construction-vehicles unrelated? (and I still do see the occasional lime green construction vehicle out there--they're still around)

Some who have attended Botcon mentioned that Hasbro showed animation models of them in 2 colour schemes. Yellow and brown w/ yellow eyes and green and purple w/ red eyes and 'Con emblem so presumably they change colours when they go from neutral to 'Con.

Also, we've seen a pic of Scrapper's head from some time back where he's in green with red eyes and the cropped butt crack Mixmaster image was also in green/purple so I wouldn't worry too much about the colours.

Edited by IXTL

*Rant Warning*

Ok, my stepsons are getting into transformers, I do plan to expose them to better anime mecha later, but for now they are obsessed. Anyway is it just me or has the quality and durability of these toys taken a serious dump? Here is my example, My youngest stepson was given a movie bumblebee by his dad, the one with the Buckaroo Banzai symbol on the doors, and he can't go a minute without a part falling off. What is the deal here? Maybe I am sounding like a pissy fanboy but I don't care, I seem to remember back in the day that major hinges and joints would have pins or bars in them in order to keep them in place. Now, it seems like all they have is friction/pressure joint connections that can't hold together to save a life. It upsets me because I can't go a minute without my five year old coming in crying asking me to fix this POS thinking that he's broken it. How do you explain to a little kid that this POS breaking is not his fault and that he is just going to have to live with it? I would let them play with my old Mac-7 valks more then these things becuase I know that they won't shatter by just transforming them.

*rant end*

I think the durability of Transformers toys have gone up and down over the course of the years. Those really old G1 Transformers were really not the most durable fellows, 1/55 Macross toys excluded. I'd stack my collection of Alternators and MP toys against them any day. It seems to me that most of the mainline TFs are even more durable (aside from possible MP Prime, who I'm pretty certain you could use to bludgeon someone to death, clean it off, and place it back on your display shelf).

Yeah, but in the golden age of G1 after the movie, alot of those toys were indestructible... I'm just now getting into some of the gimmicky stuff like Head- and Power-Masters that I never really used to care for, and they're a ton of fun... I'm fairly certain you could use PowerMaster Prime/GodGinrai to do just about as much damage as MP Prime to a human head :lol:

Nah, not nearly enough metal to do the pummeling. However, he's certainly a lot more durable than G1 Prime, can't deny that. I recall G1 Prime having hips about as fragile as the infamous first release 1/72 VF-11 from Yamato. My G1 Mirage snapped in half fairly easily too.

But, ja, post movie the toys were a lot more durable.

Never got into Beast Wars, or any other line too heavily until Alternators. Though I did have a bunch of RiD toys, and until Armada I always picked up at least a couple from each line. Passed on Cybertron and whatever the one after that was. I've got a few Classics and two movie toys, I've not noticed them to be unusually fragile.

I think Hasbro's so worried about the bottom line that they've begun to rely almost completely on ball-joints and friction hinges, which get loose and fall off over time... gone are the metal-pinned hinges and rugged joints of old.

EDIT: And the die-cast torso of Ginrai really is surpisngly hefty... not MP-Prime levels, but certainly more weighty than most figures...

Edited by promethuem5

Well there are the Fast Action Battlers from the movie line and the Activators from the animated line which were made pretty much to be durable and easy to transform figures.

I'd just like to restate that Dlx Movie Brawl rocks. Fixing the shoulders is quite simple, and just like Dlx vs Ult Concept BB---I think the Dlx one looks better than the leader.

PS---Deep Space Starscream at Target.com, says it ships in 24 hours: http://www.target.com/dp/B00102V2ZY/ref=t_th_em_is

Dave and crew, heads up! Just found this on the allspark courtesy of ChessPieceFace. It's a link to Target to order Deep Space Starscream(aka Movie Premium Starscream) from their online store. Also in that post is a coupon code for 10% off.