The Xbox 360 Thread Pro Edition

I was going to bring it up, but I was having trouble accessing the site this morning, and haven't been home to check again until now.

For the well-rounded gamer, this is pretty good news. The 360's been my gaming console of choice since I've had it longer and it seems to have more exclusives that I like, but JRPGs are the one area where Microsoft's always been lacking. But for the hardcore JRPG enthusiast, I don't see them jumping ship to the Xbox crowd over it.

I was going to bring it up, but I was having trouble accessing the site this morning, and haven't been home to check again until now.

For the well-rounded gamer, this is pretty good news. The 360's been my gaming console of choice since I've had it longer and it seems to have more exclusives that I like, but JRPGs are the one area where Microsoft's always been lacking. But for the hardcore JRPG enthusiast, I don't see them jumping ship to the Xbox crowd over it.

Out of all the JRPGS coming out this year I am looking forward to infinite undiscovery the most since its an online game with similar gameplay to phantasy star online. It also has a story mode but ill be playing it for the online mode mainly.

I used to love JRPGs a lot, but there's just too many, and most of them are a little cliched now. I'm glad to see some coming to the 360, and when I get a hankering for one, I might pick one up when they drop in price, but I'm not actually interested in any of them on launch day.

If they released a new Shin Megami Tensei (and not a spin off series like Persona), that'd be a different story.

Hey, all those ninja killings have consequences.

In other news, I picked up Ninja Gaiden II Sunday, but haven't played it. A friend of mine was over Saturday, and we played Fight Night Round 3 until midnight, and since it's the game that's been in my box, that's the one I've been playing. Only got one more Achievement to unlock on it, too.

And the irony of it all? While the game is really fun, in real life I don't even like boxing.

O just barely passed on picking up Fight Night Round 3 for just $12 last weekend. If it's still at the store I saw it, just maybe I'll pick it up.

I've been going crazy the last several weeks picking up cheap/clearance/used 360, Xbox, and PS2 games. But I've just been too busy to play anything lately. Too many things to take care of around the house, time with family and friends, and hitting the local bike trails a lot recently.

O just barely passed on picking up Fight Night Round 3 for just $12 last weekend. If it's still at the store I saw it, just maybe I'll pick it up.

I've been going crazy the last several weeks picking up cheap/clearance/used 360, Xbox, and PS2 games. But I've just been too busy to play anything lately. Too many things to take care of around the house, time with family and friends, and hitting the local bike trails a lot recently.

Where at? I usually scope my local Target for great clearance game deals, but nothing's really grabbed my attention there since I picked up the PS 3 version of Orange Box maybe a month ago for $15.

I don't know why, maybe it was the Starship Troopers thread, but I put Halo 3 back in the ol 360, and have been having a heck of a fun time with it, and on a higher difficulty than I played through last time. I don't think I had this much fun on my first play through. Maybe it's because I'm picking up items and using them right away instead of hording them for later like I usually do. I'm starting to think I didn't play this the correct way the first time through.

I picked up dbz burstlimit. i like the graphics alot...but game play feels so limited in moves and controls...not to mention only covers 2/3rds of the series and there is NO ONE one online play. either the game isnt selling much, or no one knows the online feature.

Where at? I usually scope my local Target for great clearance game deals, but nothing's really grabbed my attention there since I picked up the PS 3 version of Orange Box maybe a month ago for $15.

Oops, sorry for being a week late in responding. It was the last copy at a Shopko. I did pick it up last weekend. When it rang up, it was actually like $5 something before tax so it came up to being one of the cheapest 360 games I've gotton "brand new" (a few weeks ago I picked up The Outfit on clearance at a Toys R Us also int the $5 something range).

Oops, sorry for being a week late in responding. It was the last copy at a Shopko. I did pick it up last weekend. When it rang up, it was actually like $5 something before tax so it came up to being one of the cheapest 360 games I've gotton "brand new" (a few weeks ago I picked up The Outfit on clearance at a Toys R Us also int the $5 something range).

I forgive the lateness of your reply. We don't have Shopko's in Western PA anyway.

I forgive the lateness of your reply. We don't have Shopko's in Western PA anyway.

When did you move out to Pennsylvania? I know you were out in Iowa not too long ago.

As for what I'm playing these days, I've been bouncing around different titles as of late just trying to get some varity in, but getting the last few achievements in Halo 3, COD4, and Gears of War are still a priority.

When did you move out to Pennsylvania? I know you were out in Iowa not too long ago.

As for what I'm playing these days, I've been bouncing around different titles as of late just trying to get some varity in, but getting the last few achievements in Halo 3, COD4, and Gears of War are still a priority.

Nope, I've (sadly) always been in PA, although I tried to get a job in Cleveland last summer. I think it's David that's in Iowa.

What up? My gamertag is 'shogun029.' I'm currently immersed in the world of GTA IV. I've been trying to get into multi-player online but every time there is an interminable wait. I eventually just disconnect. Anybody else have that problem or have a solution?

You should go through the thread and update the gamertag list.

For those of you who bought Ace Combat 6 was it worth it? I want it but I don't want to spend $60.

For those of you who bought Ace Combat 6 was it worth it? I want it but I don't want to spend $60.

I've got it and I love it. The dialog is written with a Japanese sensibility. The story is forgettable. But the planes are very detailed and the controls are arcade-y. This is not a flight sim by any stretch. But I had fun with it. I wouldn't buy it for $60, though. Try to find a used copy at your local gamestore.

I thought it was. I wanted an arcade-like jet combat game, and it delivered. There's lots of achievements to unlock to keep you busy too.

I think some of the Ace Combat veterans around here thought it didn't quite live up to past AC games though.

I just got Ninja Gaiden 2 a week ago and I like it alot but it seems rather short... I only play around 2 to 3 hours a day and im already on chapter 9 out of 12 lol. Then again im playing it on acolyte. The first game seemed much longer to me as I played it almost constantly after work for a whole week and I still wasnt done until the weekend. One playthrough just isnt challenging enough for me... Im gonna have to beat it again on a harder difficulty after my first playthrough as it is such a great game.

I finally beat NG 2 and have to say the game overall was sometimes so annoyingly difficult that I don't wanna go back and play it again on a higher difficulty... Even on acolyte the last boss was kicking my A$$!

But most of the bosses werent that hard to beat... its funny I tried playing the game again on warrior a little bit and I find its not as hard since I already know all the gameplay mechanics and boss strategies.

Finally got this updated again. I have to admitt I'm not on Macross World as much as I use to be so I'm sorry for not keeping this updated. If I've missed anyone else, let me know. :)

To Mike, for some odd reason I thought you were in either central or eastern Iowa (like David) at some point, so sorry for the mix up.

For those interested in MSG: Operation Troy, it came out a few weeks ago and they've had a variety of DLC since launch of the game.

Before I forget, here's the current list (as of about 4 months ago anyway) of Macross World members on XBL. As before, the name on the left is Macross World ID's while names on the right are their Live alias:

Apollo Leader - Apollo Leader

Chowser - Sarge051

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

BoBe-Patt - bobe patt

Sephiroth - Sephiroth017

MilkManX - MilkManX

Dante74 - Lorenzo74

David Hingtgen - Xenogears Id

Valkyrie - Valkyrie2036

Axelay - Silent Scope EX

JsARCLIGHT - JsARCLIGHT

Oihan (Oyan) - Ashmedai

Alpha OTS - Qaztab

Fort Max - Angst O Tron

mikeszekely - Pharaohman

eugimon - eugimon

Mechafan - TechGhostR6

VT 1010 - ROU21

Beltane70 - Beltane0070

Ishimaru - Ryvann

danth - Coocoocola

yellowlightman - Crocodilopolis

Godzilla - Tsoumiester

Spatula - Delicious Bunny

Ginrai - sayjeremy

shogun029 - shogun029

Anyone know of a decent 360 controller, import if necessary, that has a worthwhile D-pad? The default controller's good for a lot of games, but I'm gonna need something tighter for Megaman 9 (which, after being rumored to be Wii only, is back to multi-platform).

And before anyone says "why don't you just get it for the Wii or PS3," see, I'm probably one of the biggest Megaman fans on these boards, and I will very likely buy MM9 for all three, just in case I get an urge to play with it on one system or another. I'm thinking I'd actually play it the most on the PS3, but I'm definitely playing it first on the 360 for the Achievements.

It won't be cheap, but it might be worth looking into one of the controller converters for the 360. Last I heard they required an official 360 controller to be plugged in to ride piggyback, but it might give you more options to look at it.

The lack of a decent d-pad is the one thing holding the 360 pad back from greatness. Have you thought about trying the sanding mod?

Anyone know of a decent 360 controller, import if necessary, that has a worthwhile D-pad? The default controller's good for a lot of games, but I'm gonna need something tighter for Megaman 9 (which, after being rumored to be Wii only, is back to multi-platform).

And before anyone says "why don't you just get it for the Wii or PS3," see, I'm probably one of the biggest Megaman fans on these boards, and I will very likely buy MM9 for all three, just in case I get an urge to play with it on one system or another. I'm thinking I'd actually play it the most on the PS3, but I'm definitely playing it first on the 360 for the Achievements.

There's a pad from Joytech called the "Joypad SE"

It has a decent-ish d-pad, and moves start and select back to the superior position of the XBox 1's S controller.

It might be hard to find. As I understand it, Joytech got bought, and most of their stuff was scrapped.

Or you can go hardcore and get the Hori Fighting Stick EX2. This is the path I'm going. I always played NES with an Advantage, or the Wiimote NES mode would be really appealing.

Whenever I get a Wii, I'll get a stick for THAT too. But in the meantime...

Edited by JB0

I was able to snag the Simpsons Game for $14 and Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion for $10 at Wally-Mart in Hilltop Mall in Richmond, CA. It was in a Clearance bin with Rogue Galaxy ($10), Pirates At Worlds End, PS2 GH and GH2 twin pack ($24), Cabella Deer Hunting, Stranglehold ($14), Untold Legends PS3 ($24) and some Wii and NDS titles. I got the aforementioned 360 games 2 weeks ago, I went there today to buy a wireless Guitar for GH:PS2 and there's still some games left.

For $12, you can make your own. Buy a used official S-type Xbox1 controller, take it apart with a screwdriver, remove the d-pad and replace the 360's d-pad with it. It fits perfectly. Before, I could hardly do a Flash Kick with guile in SF2, but now I can do complex combos with ease.

modded_controller.jpg

post-221-1193324205_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. TLW, do you know if that mod worked with off-brand controllers? The S did have a better d-pad than the original or the 360, but it still wasn't that great.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. TLW, do you know if that mod worked with off-brand controllers? The S did have a better d-pad than the original or the 360, but it still wasn't that great.

No idea, I didn't have any off-brand xbox1 controllers to test out.

When I first began playing 2D fighters on the xbox1, I also didn't think the d-pad was that good. But after a few weeks of playing I actually developed a lot of respect for it, in fact I now prefer it over the Playstation d-pad. I admit that it feels awkward, but it actually follow your commands accurately.

edit: I forgot to mention, the wired 360 controller uses standard Phillips head screws, but the wireless ones use a special security torx screw. You can buy a dedicated screwdriver for it on ebay for about $3, or if you have the right size slotted driver you can bend/break off the security bit and proceed.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

No idea, I didn't have any off-brand xbox1 controllers to test out.

When I first began playing 2D fighters on the xbox1, I also didn't think the d-pad was that good. But after a few weeks of playing I actually developed a lot of respect for it, in fact I now prefer it over the Playstation d-pad. I admit that it feels awkward, but it actually follow your commands accurately.

edit: I forgot to mention, the wired 360 controller uses standard Phillips head screws, but the wireless ones use a special security torx screw. You can buy a dedicated screwdriver for it on ebay for about $3, or if you have the right size slotted driver you can bend/break off the security bit and proceed.

I doubt it'll worth with 3rd-party pads. Well, not unless they match the size closely enough(in all 3 dimensions). And use a similar mechanism(you'd be surprised how many different ways people can find to implement a d-pad).

And I loved the S d-pad. It's not in the greatest location, but it's amazingly precise.

Playing alot of VF5 latley if anyone is game.

Also still playing GEARS!

^_^

Yeah I've seen you playing Gears again, so maybe I'll join up sometime. I still got like 3,300 kills left to get Seriously...

And before I forget:

It's official: 360 Pro now $299, 60GB 360 out in August for $349.