Macross Frontier Episode 2 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 2: "Hard Chase"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Yeh! Alto got a girl in the cockpit! (Positive)
    • Meh (neutral/No opinion)
    • I can get a girl in my cockpit better (Negative)

Well the Mayan incident had only been declassified for at most, 11 years. So it does bring up some interesting plot development speculations...

Dude, I still have NO idea where you are getting that from, LOL. Not only that, I'd say its totally irrelevant. The kind of people who seek and who could arrange a confrontation with Big Red don't need to have these things declassified. Its actually to their benefit to have it stay secret, as I don't think the colonists would take too kindly to being intentionally being put in harms way.

NUNS know the Varja are out there

We have an elite, private special forces unit with the fleet

Sherly Nome just so happens to be on he Frontier

If I had to guess, I'd say NUNS was looking to engage the Varja, and they believe hey have the upper hand. Of course, things never work out the way people expect them to...

Of course, we could all be wrong, and we're looking way too much into it all. But so goes television these days, hidden agendas and big mysteries.

Just saw the episode and I give it a 9.

The battle in GERWALK mode was superb.

So far, Alto impress me with his piloting skills. In my opinion, he has better spatial awareness and react faster than Max Jenius.

Any subs yet ?

And anyone know why UN Spacy took the blood of Alto ?

@MisaForever yeah, i like Ranka alot too!! I'm so glad her character design was just right and not too much "acting cute" coz that'll be very irritating to me.

so according to the official website, Nanase is very supportive of Ranka being a singer... That pic of Nanase is really.... very "exaggerating" :lol::wub:

and also...

bobbykg9.jpg

errrm, i just read the characters description from the official website, and found out that the helmsman of SMS Bobby Malgo(sp?) is secretly in love with Ozma :wacko:

not sure if u guys know this already....

Edited by Shun

Well I liked the episode, XD Ozma is as bad of a driver as Roy was....must be hertitary among skull leaders or tradition or something.

And Fire Bomber after a decade is either popular, or Ozma has a soft spot for Basara.

Well I liked the episode, XD Ozma is as bad of a driver as Roy was....must be hertitary among skull leaders or tradition or something.

And Fire Bomber after a decade is either popular, or Ozma has a soft spot for Basara.

Or that was the only song the radio station is playing currently. :lol:

I wanna know something tho... Mikhail and Luca are classmates of Altoh right? It seems they're all pretty good buddies or at the least all of the same School Club or from what I've watched part of the Elite acrobatics team in their school.

So at what point were Luca and Mikhail part of SMS and felt like not telling Alto about it? Did those 2 just recently join SMS or have they been training secretively for sometime? Either that or that school has to have a pretty darn good pilot's program for all 3 of them to suddenly be able to jump into the Fleet's latest frontline fighter and pilot it with their eyes closed. Heck altoh didn't even know the VF-25 was being rolled into service 'til he saw it with his own eyes. I bet even todays Top F-18 veteran pilots can't just suddenly jump into an F-22 or F-35 and miraculously know how everything works.

Ofcourse this is anime and if Amuro Rei and Ichigo have taught us anything, as long as your the main character, even if you are a greenhorn, you'll be able to outpilot, outfight and outsurvive CF's that have been doing this thing far longer than you have.

Edited by Holocause

Dude, I still have NO idea where you are getting that from, LOL. Not only that, I'd say its totally irrelevant. The kind of people who seek and who could arrange a confrontation with Big Red don't need to have these things declassified. Its actually to their benefit to have it stay secret, as I don't think the colonists would take too kindly to being intentionally being put in harms way.

It's in the Macross bible aka Compendium, for all to read....

It states "The U.N. government and Anti-U.N. forces secretly deploy the VF-0 and SV-51 respectively while disputing over a recently discovered phenomenon on the island of Mayan in the South Pacific Ocean. (The events are kept secret for at least five decades.)"

Declassified or taken off "top secret" doesn't mean it was widely reported to the media. The "kind of people who seek and who could arrange a confrontation with Big Reg" would need the assistance of the Military, SMS and the Colonial President to "arrange" a controlled confrontation, and these "pawns" are not likely to have puppet master level access to the information. In all such operations it is not in the best interests of the puppet masters to reveal the true danger involved to those they seek to put in harms way.

Hell, this series could also reveal that the Mac 5 & 7 fleets were sent into the Varuata vicinity to check out the disappearance of the Megaroad 13 fleet, but were just never really told what to expect. Anything is possible at this point.

NUNS know the Varja are out there

We have an elite, private special forces unit with the fleet

Sherly Nome just so happens to be on he Frontier

If I had to guess, I'd say NUNS was looking to engage the Varja, and they believe hey have the upper hand. Of course, things never work out the way people expect them to...

Of course, we could all be wrong, and we're looking way too much into it all. But so goes television these days, hidden agendas and big mysteries.

The NUNS were not looking to engage the Varja, they were seeking the threat that took out their elint scout. The SMS were prepared for the Varja, but from the looks on their faces when the Victor alert was sounded they were not very gung ho about the Varja arrival.

More like a Classic Rock station.... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Ahem...

Well, this is primarily intended for the mods, but I also hope to hear other opinions.

You see, I got a bit of a dilemma with this thread. It's to much spoilers! :angry: I haven't seen the episode yet; I won't untill a descent sub is out. So, the reason I read this thread is to catch any news of if a subbed version is out yet (it is the fastest way) and the public opinion of its quality. I. Do. Not. Want. Any. Spoilers. I mean, I don't even watch the "next episode segment" of previous episodes to avoid any knowing of what's to come.

Sure, most people use the spoiler tag function and hide the real important stuff, but many small details still come through. I grieve. And now there's no one to force you to hide spoilers. My eyes' gonna bleed! Not to mention the screenshots of all new, cool scenes that will make the new episode when I finally see it feel like déjà vu... :(

Here's my proposal: Make two discussion threads for the next episode. One for plot discussions and spoiler orgies. One for pure technical discussions (e.g. news about when subs are up, comparing different subs, questions and answers on which codec is needed and so on). Complete spoiler free. That's not too much to ask for, is it?

Or can it be that I'm just too sensitive and whiny? :rolleyes:

Edited by Lorindor

Well, this is primarily intended for the mods, but I also hope to hear other opinions.

The only way to avoid spoilers is to live under a rock, don't talk with anyone, and definitely don't watch TV! (or MacrossWorld for that matter.) ;)

I have no foresight as to how the mods will reply, but I do find the comments about being ##% downloaded and when's the file going to be up for DLing to be annoying.

All of this said, the best thing to do, if you just want an update to the availability for DLing, then check only the very first post in this topic.

errrm, i just read the characters description from the official website, and found out that the helmsman of SMS Bobby Malgo(sp?) is secretly in love with Ozma :wacko:

not sure if u guys know this already....

Yeah, we knew back in December before the Deculture Edition was broadcast. He's the okama of the Macross.

PS His name's Marugo.

@MisaForever yeah, i like Ranka alot too!! I'm so glad her character design was just right and not too much "acting cute" coz that'll be very irritating to me.

I like the fact that her appeal is her clumbsiness and her reactions to rather offbeat situations, like being pressed against the door on the tram... ^_^

Hmm, sounds like a setup for a sacrificial death as a result of his unrequited love... :rolleyes:

Concerning spoilers

Best thing to do if you wish to remain completely spoiler free is to not read this or similar threads, at all. I could have a permanent spoiler ban but that's even more annoying. I have no schedule on when subbers release episodes. If some people take a week to release a sub, do you expect me to hold a spoiler ban for a week? What if it takes 2, or 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not going to hold a spoiler ban that long. Lots of people here have already watched it raw or read Random Curiousity's blog for a summary. Having lots of threads is really redundant and gives the mods just more threads to watch. The best thing to do is just stick to the 1st post. I'll try to update it more often.

Oh and now would be a good time to avoid this thread cuz the spoiler ban ended about an 2 hours ago. :)

Just saw the chinese subbed version:

SMS seems to be an in-fleet armanent manufacturer supporting the military, thus having all the newest gadgets

Regarding the crowding round of "princess" Alto, not exactly an elogy, he was brought there spefically for that reason of providing an eyewitness's account of how Gilliam died (and probably also how did he end up in their late comrade's valk.

Also, in the gerwalk scene, Mikhail/ Michael comments that the pilot (Alto) has too good skills to be considered "outsider"

All in all, great episode!

workermechjs0.th.jpg

for mech lovers, worker mech savaging a limb of the red guy?

looks like the same mech as the ones putting out the fire. any names for it yet? :p

@ BlueMax > i think SMS is a commercialized combat unit(s), which i guess comes complete with their own ship(?) (thus the need for its own helmsman and captain?). however, the general public probably only know them as contractors / armanent manufacturer for the air force.

Edited by Shun

i thought it was really cool how

each pilot had their own role, and their valks were equipped for that task. gilliam: high speed intercept, ozma: heavy artillery, michel: long range sniping, luca: reconnaissance. makes them feel more like a team.

edit: is bobby the spiritual successor to claudia!!??? :ph34r:

Edited by cyde01

It's in the Macross bible aka Compendium, for all to read....

It states "The U.N. government and Anti-U.N. forces secretly deploy the VF-0 and SV-51 respectively while disputing over a recently discovered phenomenon on the island of Mayan in the South Pacific Ocean. (The events are kept secret for at least five decades.)"

That is 4 years old. Its a Macross Zero entry that pre-dates Frontier. And it says "at least", it could have been kept secret for all eternity. You don't know, yet once again here you are stating it as fact. Didn't we go through this 4 or 5 months ago?

The NUNS were not looking to engage the Varja, they were seeking the threat that took out their elint scout. The SMS were prepared for the Varja, but from the looks on their faces when the Victor alert was sounded they were not very gung ho about the Varja arrival.

Watch again. Ozma was pumped up and totally gung ho. Grin on his face, eager for battle. And the SMS seem quite capable of handling these beasties. And I disagree about the NUNS. The NUNS officer with the bad haircut who is with the Frontier president certainly knew about the Varja and he clearly has some agenda. On some level, NUNS knows what is out there and what is going on.

Edited by Duke Togo

I took me the second episode to figure out victor (as in "code victor") is Nato phonetics for V (V for Vajra).

We now know why Ozma was so enthusiastic when the Vajras arrived: payback time for his sister. This man is just so epic.

FV

Hadn't thought about the Victor/V/Varja connection before. Its quite obvious now that you mention it.

@ BlueMax > i think SMS is a commercialized combat unit(s), which i guess comes complete with their own ship(?) (thus the need for its own helmsman and captain?). however, the general public probably only know them as contractors / armanent manufacturer for the air force.

According to the Manga the SMS are a civilian paramilitary force tasked with testing and evaluating new military hardware for NUNS & the UNG. That is why they have all the latest toys that the NUNS don't yet have. It appears they report directly to the Colonial President, not the military chain of command.

Concerning spoilers

Best thing to do if you wish to remain completely spoiler free is to not read this or similar threads, at all. I could have a permanent spoiler ban but that's even more annoying. I have no schedule on when subbers release episodes. If some people take a week to release a sub, do you expect me to hold a spoiler ban for a week? What if it takes 2, or 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not going to hold a spoiler ban that long. Lots of people here have already watched it raw or read Random Curiousity's blog for a summary. Having lots of threads is really redundant and gives the mods just more threads to watch. The best thing to do is just stick to the 1st post. I'll try to update it more often.

Oh and now would be a good time to avoid this thread cuz the spoiler ban ended about an 2 hours ago. :)

Of course I can't demand the spoiler ban to hold on forever; that's not what I wrote. Such a thing would be silly, since no discussion on the plot would be allowed at all. :lol: Sure, I could stick to just the first post when I check for subs. But any comment about them will be in the middle of all the spoilers. And me, and probably many others, want to know what other people think of the translations and stuff to know which sub to go for.

Dividing a thread like this is of course a bit more job for you mods, going back and forth between the two threads and all. But would it not, in the end, be the same amount of posts to check as if it would be just one thread? And, it strikes me, it would not need to be a new "pure technical" thread for every episode - I can't see any problem with just a single one for the whole series. Also, after a while, such a thread would surely fade out if subs start coming out on regular basis, most question marks regarding technical aspects and translation are mostly straightened out, and so forth. But for now it would certainly fill a purpose. I'm sure someone agree with me, am I right?

And I mean no harm with all this, it's just meant for constructive critisism.

According to the Manga the SMS are a civilian paramilitary force tasked with testing and evaluating new military hardware for NUNS & the UNG. That is why they have all the latest toys that the NUNS don't yet have. It appears they report directly to the Colonial President, not the military chain of command.

But who does he report to! The mysterious Mr. G-something...

That is 4 years old. Its a Macross Zero entry that pre-dates Frontier. And it says "at least", it could have been kept secret for all eternity. You don't know, yet once again here you are stating it as fact. Didn't we go through this 4 or 5 months ago?

Kinda like going through the same with you a couple of days ago... :rolleyes:

The fact I am stating is that it was secret for at least 50 years, which where I "got the information from", a question you apparently already forgot. When it was written is irrelevant and a weak basis to support your argument. Until otherwise retconned, it stands. You may want to carefully read my posts before shooting off your keyboard... <_<

Watch again. Ozma was pumped up and totally gung ho. Grin on his face, eager for battle. And the SMS seem quite capable of handling these beasties. And I disagree about the NUNS. The NUNS officer with the bad haircut who is with the Frontier president certainly knew about the Varja and he clearly has some agenda. On some level, NUNS knows what is out there and what is going on.

I will, I am referring to the initial reaction to the code Victor, maybe I missed Ozuma's smirk.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about the NUNS preparedness.

The Presidential aide definitely seems to have a hidden agenda, whether he is a puppet master or otherwise, we'll have to see.

Dividing a thread like this is of course a bit more job for you mods, going back and forth between the two threads and all. But would it not, in the end, be the same amount of posts to check as if it would be just one thread?

You have no idea how much we can nit-pick just 1 episode. <_<:) I mean this is talking about a Macross series in a place called Macross World. But this pales in comparison to our nitpicking of the toys (Look at the Toy section). :)

Anyways, feel free to bring this up to the Feedback section. Let's get back to episode 2 discussion.