Macross Frontier Episode 2 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 2: "Hard Chase"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Yeh! Alto got a girl in the cockpit! (Positive)
    • Meh (neutral/No opinion)
    • I can get a girl in my cockpit better (Negative)

Oh, come ON! You've been watching anime for HOW many years, and you haven't gotten used to variable romanizations yet? ;)

Well the irony is that according the sketchly the Japanese focus on the vowels in their words, whereas in english, we focus on the consonants. If I wrote, FCK, most English speakers would be able to figure out what I was saying, but apparently a transplanted Japanese speaking English would likely be totally lost... B))

Before I forget:

It was Mihael (Mikhael/Michelle?) who had the VF-25 with the sniper gun pod; whom seems skilled with it, as he took out an aerbourne yellow Vajra at range with it.

At the very end, Luca can be seen in a radome equipped VF-25! (The part of the radome in-frame being similar or the same as the one on the VF-171.)

Well the irony is that according the sketchly the Japanese focus on the vowels in their words, whereas in english, we focus on the consonants. If I wrote, FCK, most English speakers would be able to figure out what I was saying, but apparently a transplanted Japanese speaking English would likely be totally lost... B))

You learned well. Me happy. :D (Though it's not a deliberate focus. Just like us English speakers don't deliberately focus on things like stress on our words. (is it BA-na-na, ba-NA-na, or ba-na-NA?) It's all stuff that no-one notices until it's not there, or pointed out.)

It was Mihael (Mikhael/Michelle?) who had the VF-25 with the sniper gun pod; whom seems skilled with it, as he took out an aerbourne yellow Vajra at range with it.

I believe his character page mentions his sniping ability.

I believe his character page mentions his sniping ability.

Hmmm... I'll have to check that out.

At first I thought it was all VF-25 gun pods which could do it, but when it folded up, it looked different from a regular gun pod.

2008.jpg

Uhmmm... is it just me or are these guys behind her packing M41A Pulse Rifles!!??? :ph34r: If so hope we get to se somebody weilding a Smart Gun. :p

Somehow........Cathy Glass reminds me a lot of Lisa Hayase, but I'm not sure why. :blink:

BTW,

is she the daughter of the president? Since I've seen somewhere else here in MW, about the current president having a surname of Glass.

Edited by grss1982

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by focussing...but it's true that there are no clusters of consonatns in Japanese. So, for example, the "cr" is "Macross" is very difficult for them to say, and impossible to write, so we get the famous "Ma-ku-ro-su."

The problem with romanization for SF stuff, is that in the case of a made-up name, there IS no correct way to romanize it. So, while "Kurodia" is clearly "Claudia" and "Makkusu" must be "Max," a groovy space name like "Buritai," could be Breetai, Britai, Bullitie, Vrlitwhai, or any number of possible combinations. Romanization is variable because it's just not so important for a Japanese show made by Japanese people for Japanese people, any more than George Lucas would be concerned about how to write "Jedi" in Cyrillic or Greek.

So, is it Ranka, Lanca, Lanka, or Ranca?

The only honest answer is "YES."

So, is it Ranka, Lanca, Lanka, or Ranca?

The only honest answer is "YES."

I agree with your point about ficticious names not being created with a thought about how they'd appear in another language.

Nevertheless, when it comes to romanizing Japanese into English, Heburn is required by MOFA, and the de facto standard in Japan (that's government, as much, if not moreso than personal and commercial usage.) Why should overseas English speakers use a different system, when Heburn and it's variants are the most commonly used form of romanization by English native speakers AND Japanese native speakers?

I don't mind. I actually find the topic quite interesting. There's so much said about Japanese among fandom but it's rare to read the real deal. A basic primer on why translations work the way they do and why names are translated in such a way would be a really valuable addition to a fan site. Nothing in depth, just much of what's been already stated in this thread would be good.

Anyway, back on topic... :)

I agree with your point about ficticious names not being created with a thought about how they'd appear in another language.

Nevertheless, when it comes to romanizing Japanese into English, Heburn is required by MOFA, and the de facto standard in Japan (that's government, as much, if not moreso than personal and commercial usage.) Why should overseas English speakers use a different system, when Heburn and it's variants are the most commonly used form of romanization by English native speakers AND Japanese native speakers?

...Because sometimes it looks and sounds better? "Char Aznable" is MUCH cooler (and easier to say) for English speakers than "Shaa Azunaburu."

But yes, if you want to err on the side of caution, standard Hepburn romanization is the best route.

I don't mind. I actually find the topic quite interesting. There's so much said about Japanese among fandom but it's rare to read the real deal. A basic primer on why translations work the way they do and why names are translated in such a way would be a really valuable addition to a fan site. Nothing in depth, just much of what's been already stated in this thread would be good.

Anyway, back on topic... :)

If a "How to Romanize Names" topic would be useful, and acceptable to the mods, I'd gladly provide one.

Only because it was asked for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepburn_romanization

It pretty much has all the basics needed. Kanji, being able to be written in hiragana, can also be romanized with the same system.

So Michel is not the only one to call Alto princess. Ranka gets Ozuma to look for him using this description:

Ozuma: You didn't cry during the injection, did you?

Ranka: Don't treat me like a kid! But more importantly, you won't forget about what I asked, will you?

Ozuma: Oh that, a princess-like male pilot...

Ranka: Ahhhh! You don't believe me, do you? It's true! His hair is this long and he is incredibly beautiful!

Ozuma also quit the military and seems to have a rocky relationship with Cathy because of it.

Ozuma: Oh that, a princess-like male pilot...

Ranka: Ahhhh! You don't believe me, do you? It's true! His hair is this long and he is incredibly beautiful!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROTFLMAO

:lol:

Looking at Random Curiousity's shots,

-I hope Alto doesn't inherit that helmet...ewww. Someone died in that helmet...

-Dead guy had family....great.

-From the preview...Alto and Lanca seem to get stuck together a lot in these few days...

LOL have you guys even watched the episode or are you just discussing the pics that were posted :p:)

Nope, the show seems to be following the manga already posted on the forums. Just trying not to give the story away, since sketchly doesn't appear to have seen them.