Macross Frontier Episode 2 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 2: "Hard Chase"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Yeh! Alto got a girl in the cockpit! (Positive)
    • Meh (neutral/No opinion)
    • I can get a girl in my cockpit better (Negative)

But who does he report to! The mysterious Mr. G-something...

It's supposed to be Birla I think. I checked the various JP sites about the katakana because it was said again in this episode. Howard Glass (Mr. President) said it kind of oddly so I heard a g sound in the first ep. It's clearly a B sound in this ep.

It's apparently an Indian name which would make sense since Vajra is from Hindu Mythology.

On another note, I'm gonna be doing various notes but only on the group's forum. Some of the stuff I could point out might be a bit too much to put in the ep.

Edited by Shouta

Yes. There's a lot of subtext going on, if one is familiar with the terms. I just looked up Vajra in wikipedia (doing a bit of research for the VF-25 pet name), and found even the brief primer contained therein to be interesting. I'm not sure how closely Macross F will have the Vajra follow the real world Vajra... but the closer they are to it... :D

Exactly my problem, while I always appreciate a fansubbers job for releasing something such as this, it's just so damn hard to ACTUALLY APPRECIATE it when their standards for viewing are set far to high.

So I will cheer Shouta on and hammer him until he releases the bloody episode so I have something to watch :p

Well, our version should hopefully be out tomorrow. Gives me a little time to prep liner notes to put on my forum =x

My solo/duo turnaround time tends to be extremely quick but I'm working with a few more people than normal now.

I also had a lot of paperwork to get ready to send to the FBI. :lol:

Edited by Shouta

I haven't had a chance to check out Gattai's work yet. I'll probably check this ep out since I'm done working on it myself.

Thanks again. B))

It's nice to see more fansubgroups stepping up for Frontier.

It suddenly got slow for me, too. Anyway, I'm also having major issues attempting to play Gattai's Episode 1 on my computer, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering at this point. As far as I'm concerned, this h.264 crap is total garbage. My mac handles massive files when working on high resolution graphics (my day job) with ease, yet I can't play back a simple movie file? One shouldn't need a super computer to watch a fansub.

So far, Shouta, your version of episode one is the only fansub that works on my machine, so I hope you guys keep encoding your files the same way.

Checked out the the Gattai sub. Someone ripped the script out of their MKV ('cause they did a softsub) and put it up for download, I assume that anyway. It might have been that they put it up themselves.

Anyway, It's watchable but the English lacks a lot polish (thus losing some of the finer points in the dialogue) and they made a number of translation errors that should've been easy. I also find it odd that they did all the credits but no the song lyrics.

The only one that I'd mentioned (because it wouldn't get into a bunch of messy things) would be Gilliam's rank. A bit nitpicky but it is kind of an important point.

Edited by Shouta

Just saw a clip from a raw, WHOA, great homages in this episode! Its sad that the newcomers won't really notice the homages unless they've seen the original SDF series. The VF-25 blasting parallel to the glass building was awesome, as was Alto's rather difficult time maneuvering it to save Lanka. I am glad it wasn't easy for him, its more realistic that way, and shows that he isn't a character thats the best from the start. I liked seeing Ozma shift his VF-25 into gerwalk to dodge a blast, that was sweet.

It suddenly got slow for me, too. Anyway, I'm also having major issues attempting to play Gattai's Episode 1 on my computer, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering at this point. As far as I'm concerned, this h.264 crap is total garbage. My mac handles massive files when working on high resolution graphics (my day job) with ease, yet I can't play back a simple movie file? One shouldn't need a super computer to watch a fansub.

Uhh... h.264 isn't garbage, whatever you're using for playback clearly is though. Not every problem Mac users face can be blamed on a 3rd party, so ditch the smugness and do some troubleshooting.

VLC for Mac sucks at h.264 playback, and quicktime is a big hunk of fail. Give MPlayer a try, I forget which version I have on my Intel Macbook but it played Gattai's first episode with no problems, not sure about the second episode, because that computer generally lives in the trunk of my car when I'm not working.

As an FYI it works BEAUTIFULLY on my ancient 4 year old Pentium 4 with a meager 1 gig of RAM, and a slow IDE hard disk. This is in both Linux (Mplayer) and Windows (Media Player Classic) by the way.

Edited by Sketch

Just started watching the Gattai sub. Extremely clear images, but video is very jerky on my laptop.

Really getting to love the BGM.

Graham

Make sure you have all post-processing disabled in your player of choice; will help playback big-time.

The hospital scene... Ozma recognized Kathy, not Alto.

When Ozma fully turned his head, Alto has already walked into the room. I just double checked; Ozma could only see Kathy but not Alto at that scene. B))

Please pardon me but why Ozma have to recognize Alto? Did I miss something?

Gun shell casings, ladies. LOTS of em.

uh, yeah. I came, TU... :lol: so beautiful. (though i wish during the sequence we see Michael's HUD that Ozsa's eyes moved as well. it would have made the coms that more dramatic. as it was i briefly was reminded to how visuals of pilot coms of Roy & the gang from ACE II)

Yeah i understand what your talking about arm gaff wise. at the end of the clip you can see the tell tale Shield against the engine nacelle...

Fricking Wow.... ^_^

Install the Haali Media Splitter and Ffdshow. These make it possible for you to play the file with Windows Media Player. Runs silky smooth on my 2 year old laptop, better even than with VLC player.

Actually, I'd recommend the Core Community Codec Pack and using Media Player Classic (comes with the CCCP). It's the best setup to play pretty much all files sans quicktime or realmedia. You only need those two installed to play all the crazy stuff people encode in nowadays too, pretty much.

I DLed the [Q-R] Macross Frontier releases, and had trouble playing the mp4 as well. I attempted to get it to run in WinAmp, and even with DLing some changed codecs and other prefrences changes, I could only get the audio to work at best.

I searched and found info leading to my installing the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. In the process, it removed some things (possibly the Haali Media Splitter) and replaced them with more functional alternatives. The mp4 file worked, and the media player that comes with the codec pack is pretty funky (though, I'd already DLed it on another occasion.)

The playback is really great, and even at 100% scaling, the image takes up almost all of my screen (letterbox style - I'm running on a Qosmio laptop - don't ask about how it handles heat disappation... >.< )

Install the Haali Media Splitter and Ffdshow. These make it possible for you to play the file with Windows Media Player. Runs silky smooth on my 2 year old laptop, better even than with VLC player.

Just installed those two, and got the Gattai ep 2 running very smoothly on Windows Media player, but can't get the subtitles to show. Have 'on if available' selected, but they don't show.

Oh well, have to stick with VLC player. Playback might be slightly jerky, but at least I can see the subs.

Graham

For Windows, CCCP (Combined Community Codec Pack) is considered the gold standard by most fansubbers nowadays. It prepackages Media Player Classic, which will present a familiar interface for those who've been using Windows since at least Windows 98 (before Windows Media Player went all flashy with the UI). Specifically for h.264 playback, CoreAVC is the fastest and most efficient codec available, i.e. better for machines with older processors, but is not free ($7.95) through conventional means; nonetheless, the h.264 codec provided by CCCP is often up to par. (ffdshow and Haali Media Splitter are part of CCCP package as well.)

For Mac, either MPlayer or Perian paired with Quicktime are very viable alternatives. I use MPlayer most of the time since it has quicker seek functionality, though Quicktime with Perian allows you to play with pitch and playback speed independently. A prepackaged MPlayer Universal Binary can be found at the AnimeSuki forums: How to watch fansubs with your mac.

For Linux, I imagine MPlayer is the media player of choice as well.

Edited by veffidas