Macross Frontier Episode 2 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 2: "Hard Chase"  

174 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Yeh! Alto got a girl in the cockpit! (Positive)
    • Meh (neutral/No opinion)
    • I can get a girl in my cockpit better (Negative)

HOWEVER.......................Is it just me or was Ozma just savoring that Red Bug kill way too much with the licking the lips thingy.

:huh:

Are you kidding? After an episode and a half of that tough-nut-to-crack causing untold damage to our heros, I jumped out of my seat and cheered when Ozuma drove that blade in deep! BOOYAH!

rankasnmhe3.jpg

yup looks more like Ranka was having a flashback of her encounter with vajra, and she was looking from a window from another ship.

My question is did she ever visit near the Galactic core before? Or do the Vajara just roam the stars looking for Protoculture decedents?

Be kinda sad if we find out the SDF-02 was the first victim of the Vajara. If they could find the M-25 fleet just think what could have to the Megaroad with Minmay on board.

Okay, 23 pages of posts since I last checked MW (busy weekend). All I really want to know is Gattai any good, or should I wait and see if another group's turn out any better?

I downloaded the Gattai version and its pretty good there were a couple of spelling errors but the brain could figure it out.

:huh: no one answered my question

:huh: no one answered my question

Because it belongs in the Episode 1 discussion...

Short answer: The Broadcast version cuts a lot of the battle scenes, but adds some pre-concert stuff with Mikhail, as well as extending the concert scene (which is referenced in ep. 2). The overall concensus here is that the Deculture version is better. Me, I liked both fine, and the DVD version should heal all wounds.

this has probably allready been discussed before but whats the difference between ep1 and ep1 deculture edition?

The deculture edition was released in late 2007. I think it was a "teaser" of sorts to get people pumped up for the series. The broadcast episode 1 is very similar except for a few different scenes. For example, in DE the VF-171 launch is choreographed with Sheryl's concert song while in the BE it's separate. The concert is also longer in the BE with new scenes. The DE also lacks any opening or ending songs, which the BE has.

Some criticize the BE as being a bit inconsistent in its scene editing, but it's not that bad. IMO, watch both to get a full picture of episode one, since you have scenes in one that aren't in the other.

Thanks to Shota and the folks at AiA, those subs were perfection....

Nuuu, I'm not a little boyz! I'm no Luca! *cry*

Hmm, AiA mp4 version there's an encoding artifact at 19:08.

Really? I'll let the Encoder know about that.

I will have to agree to a certain extent. Definately better than ep 1 release. Could use translations of OP lyrics but meh...works for me. Anyway I'm stuck with AiA for now since i can't playback HD files without feeling lag like crap.

Ep 1 was a quick patch job on my part. Not much effort in getting that extra stuff cleaned up. I had to do this from scratch so I did my usual job. Ep 2 is about my normal level of work.

Bomb, the project leader/encoder, likes switching between romaji and English lyrics for every other episode. Ep 1 had English, Ep 2 had romaji. So ep 3 will have English again. I personally don't even do romaji in releases I handles for most cases.

Bomb, the project leader/encoder, likes switching between romaji and English lyrics for every other episode. Ep 1 had English, Ep 2 had romaji. So ep 3 will have English again. I personally don't even do romaji in releases I handles for most cases.

I have nothing against that but has he thought about having multiple subtitle tracks instead? Track 0 with clean OP/ED while track 1 can have the credits and lyrics.

I have nothing against that but has he thought about having multiple subtitle tracks instead? Track 0 with clean OP/ED while track 1 can have the credits and lyrics.

We do hardsubs to the file so we don't use tracks. Hardsubs tend to have fewer playback issues so that's the reason why we do it.

I'm still iffy on the idea of a civilian armerd service (a la mercenaries).....BUT WHO CARES! ^_^

Seriously though, this show scored points on so many levels in that episode. Ozma driving a Lancia Delta Integrale with the Skull Squadron symbol was fantastic. Mikhail flying a blue VF-25 with a sniper rifle....fantastic! Great ending song too.

I've taken to downloading both subs. I get a little bit from both, and make up my own mind what is going on. :)

Fair enough, but as someone who's watched both, if you had to pick one, which would it be?

For now, I think I'm sticking with AiA, if only for consistency.

Fair enough, but as someone who's watched both, if you had to pick one, which would it be?

For now, I think I'm sticking with AiA, if only for consistency.

There are things that bother me a little bit in both. Between both subs, body language, tone of voice, and what just sounds right, I get what I want out of it. Too early to pick just one. Until one stands above the other, I'll support both releases.

Yeah....i was being an Azrael and thought something like this was the scenario on the DE episode. Ranka had traumatic past with the Vajra thus her paralysing terror when encountering one. Ozma knows what the Vajra codenamed Victor are and was probably one of the 1st soldiers to encounter them....and he saved Ranka from them. Why he quit the military...maybe just to give in to his adopted sister's panderings.

Ranka definately has the "Anima Spiritia" or whatever song powers that the Vajra seem to seek.

That is definately agreed on the "Anima Spirita" or whatever. It also gives lends to your Ozma theory but then again Luka and Mikahel seemed to know what they where when they were in battle though. It gave me that feeling of we are getting leaked info and now we have seen it kinda momemts.

Just finished watching Episode 2 from Gattai. Loved episode 2, nice nods of SDFM/DYRL as well as Mac7. Liked the idea of Michel having the sniper rifle but could do without the superfluous opening of the weapon (if you saw the episode, you'll know what I'm talking about). I really liked seeing Luca piloting the EW pack VF-25. Looks like the VF-25 is able to perform different roles by attaching different packs, sweet.

I like the picture quality of the Gattai version and since I don't know Japanese, I can't nitpick the subs, but they worked for me. Another thing, when I first got the Gattai version and played on VLC, the playback was extremely jerky. I then downloaded Zoom Player and now have no problems.

Just finished watching Episode 2 from Gattai. Loved episode 2, nice nods of SDFM/DYRL as well as Mac7. Liked the idea of Michel having the sniper rifle but could do without the superfluous opening of the weapon (if you saw the episode, you'll know what I'm talking about). I really liked seeing Luca piloting the EW pack VF-25. Looks like the VF-25 is able to perform different roles by attaching different packs, sweet.

Totally agree! Whats the point of the opening bits on the gun? It could still be explained if the barrel stock telescoped out....but those 4 opening bits?? Dun geddit

Okay, 23 pages of posts since I last checked MW (busy weekend). All I really want to know is Gattai any good, or should I wait and see if another group's turn out any better?

I prefer the Gattai subs over the AiA I-Z subs personally. Comparing the two...the Gattai subs seem to "make more sense" if you will...regardless of how correct the rankings are and a few missed translations...etc. However, the Gattai subs don't have any of the songs subbed. Morever, the AiA I-Z subs have the OP/ED songs subbed...but in Japanese only.

My two cents.

Edited by Oihan

As Shouta has noted, the AiA-IZ's encoder likes to alternate the openings and endings with English and romanji.

I prefer AiA-IZ's. I prefer accuracy over speed, and it reads a bit better than Gattai.

Yeah....i was being an Azrael and thought something like this was the scenario on the DE episode. Ranka had traumatic past with the Vajra thus her paralysing terror when encountering one. Ozma knows what the Vajra codenamed Victor are and was probably one of the 1st soldiers to encounter them....and he saved Ranka from them. Why he quit the military...maybe just to give in to his adopted sister's panderings.

Ranka definately has the "Anima Spiritia" or whatever song powers that the Vajra seem to seek.

Ranka is actually a human form vajra and it is remembering from when they destroy that ship and the flashback was from her vajra point of view :lol:

Can anyone identify the ship that is destroyed? it seems to be the size of a VF unless that red vajra in the flashback is bigger than the ones that attacked M25.

About Ranka and Ozma, if you lost all your family would you want your only family member left or guardian to be in a job that would put him in danger at every moment? I really hope Ozma doesn't die.

For a variable fighter that is still in testing, the VF-25 has a lot of add-ons, I am guessing that like the VF-0 it is still in testing but all ready in production.

As Shouta has noted, the AiA-IZ's encoder likes to alternate the openings and endings with English and romanji.

I prefer AiA-IZ's. I prefer accuracy over speed, and it reads a bit better than Gattai.

Just how much more accurate is it compared to Gattai's though? In AiA & I-Z's, Ozma says he'll give Luca some candy...while in Gattai's he'll give Luca some "agedama." Later on we see Ranka saying she'll get Ozma some "sashirei" (Gattai) rather than "something" (AiA & I-Z).

Accurate subs aside...Gattai uses a higher resolution. Since I'm not a wiz at Japanese...I'll take video quality with a slightly less accurate sub over a lower resolution but more accurate sub...any day. ...But I digress. :p

Edited by Oihan

Just how much more accurate is it compared to Gattai's though? In AiA & I-Z's, Ozma says he'll give Luca some candy...while in Gattai's he'll give Luca some "agedama." Later on we see Ranka saying she'll get Ozma some "sashirei" (Gattai) rather than "something" (AiA & I-Z).

Accurate subs aside...Gattai uses a higher resolution. Since I'm not a wiz at Japanese...I'll take video quality with a slightly less accurate sub over a lower resolution but more accurate sub...any day. ...But I digress. :p

How much difference in resolution are we talking here? They all look nice to me. :unsure:

How much difference in resolution are we talking here? They all look nice to me. :unsure:

Heh, 1280x720 vs 768x432. The way I figure it all...there's always going to be something missed in a translation...there's no getting around it. So, if I can't get a prefect translation...why not try for the best video quality instead?

Anyway, is all this talk about Ranka being Protoculture/Vajra all speculation or is this all learned in chapter 4 of the manga? I would read up on chapter four...but I don't want anything spoiled...and would rather save it for the anime.

Regarding MP4 vs MKV or Divx, personally I'd prefer the AiA releases to come out on MKV for the following reasons:

- Mpeg 4 has superior compression vs quality for the container, but has issues with playback on lower end systems and some vid players.

- MKV can accomodate just about any multimedia file type, is typically the same size as an AVI and is easily converted to DivX for those who's systems cannot run the H264 codec.

MKV and AVI containers also provide an easy way to convert these episodes to DVD for viewing in our hometheater systems while we wait for them the come out on commercial DVD.

I have no issues with Mp4 playback but conversion to DVD is not as straight forward with that container.

Just my thoughts.

Ahh all you guys are so lucky. I can't support torrents on my PC due to lack fo space and the age of it. I can only wait for the subs to happen on veoh (which seems to be the only streaming site that doesn't pull stuff).

What I still don't get from reading the thread is, who come Michael and Luca are in SMS and have their own VFs but Alto being a classmate has nothing? Is there something i am missing here?

so if sms is testing the vf-25 for the manufacturer before mass production.... shouldnt it be the valk designated as yf-25 first? :unsure:

Not necessarily. It could be an LRIP (Low-Rate Initial Production) model. In all likelyhood it is either given a Block number that designates it LRIP or simply a group of serial numbers that those familiar with the fielding program would recognize as LRIP. A letter designation could also be given (as in the case of the VF-11A,) but I think we already know there's several variants of the VF-25.

Regarding MP4 vs MKV or Divx, personally I'd prefer the AiA releases to come out on MKV for the following reasons:

- Mpeg 4 has superior compression vs quality for the container, but has issues with playback on lower end systems and some vid players.

- MKV can accomodate just about any multimedia file type, is typically the same size as an AVI and is easily converted to DivX for those who's systems cannot run the H264 codec.

MKV and AVI containers also provide an easy way to convert these episodes to DVD for viewing in our hometheater systems while we wait for them the come out on commercial DVD.

I have no issues with Mp4 playback but conversion to DVD is not as straight forward with that container.

Just my thoughts.

Yeah, but with that in mind, why not just use a DivX encode and release them as AVI files? I mean, I know a lot of fansubbers like the MKV container so they can softsub? The DivX codec supports HD resolutions, and requires less work (drag files to disc, burn disc) than MKV (extract subs as SRT files, convert MKV to AVI, drag AVIs with corresponding SRTs to disc, burn disc).

Not necessarily. It could be an LRIP (Low-Rate Initial Production) model. In all likelyhood it is either given a Block number that designates it LRIP or simply a group of serial numbers that those familiar with the fielding program would recognize as LRIP. A letter designation could also be given (as in the case of the VF-11A,) but I think we already know there's several variants of the VF-25.

IIRC, after the YF-22 won the ATF competition it almost immediately was designated the F-22 (and for awhile F/A-22), but Lockheed spent a few years refining the design and testing it before it entered active service.

"agedama?" "sashirei?" oh man, i fear for you guys. i bet if one of the japanese speakers on this site hooked up with a fan subber you would get better translations than that.