Worst Anime Adaptation?

Gubaba

Worst anime adapatation?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the worst anime adapatation for the Western market?

• Robotech. No way the Zentradi took orders from some guy with poofy purple hair.
    • Battle of the Planets. Die, 7 Zark 7, die.
    • Warriors of the Wind. Stay the #@%!! away from Miyazaki, Roger Corman!
    • Voltron. Taken to the hospital, my ass! We all know "Sven" died!
    • Tranzor Z. How dare they cut out the big vomit scene!
    • Dragonball Z. Where's all the blood?
    • Macron 1. Man, that one was so crappy I completely forgot about it until you reminded me!
    • Other (please specify).

The thread about how you got into macross got me thinking...sure, a large percentage of Macrossworlders dislike Robotech, ranging from a mild distaste to all-consuming fury, but is it the worst adaptation out there?

What do you think is worst hackjob done for western audiences? These are the ones I could think of off the top of my head, but I know there are more out there...

A couple of Macek-related releases come to mind (Windaria, Robotech the Movie), but of the ones you listed, Macron 1 was so hackneyed that it didn't even make sense when I was 9 yrs. old.

That's right, I forgot about the Macek-produced Windaria...what was it called? "Once Upon a Time" or something...?

A couple of Macek-related releases come to mind (Windaria, Robotech the Movie), but of the ones you listed, Macron 1 was so hackneyed that it didn't even make sense when I was 9 yrs. old.

"Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Ma-Macron 1!

FEEELL THE POWER!!!!" :lol:

I remember the theme song from Saturday morning cartoons, but I can't remember squat about the show itself. That's a good thing, I take it?

Also, of the shows listed, the only one I even recall watching is Robotech. Though I'd like to pick it as worst adaptation, I'm not so sure compared to the rest on the list. They seem like Big Game Winners to me.

Edited by Warmaker

The thread about how you got into macross got me thinking...sure, a large percentage of Macrossworlders dislike Robotech, ranging from a mild distaste to all-consuming fury, but is it the worst adaptation out there?

What do you think is worst hackjob done for western audiences? These are the ones I could think of off the top of my head, but I know there are more out there...

How could anyone here forget.... "Clash of the Bionoids" by FHE.

Not only did it have a horrible dub, it was also chopped up. Macross DYRL or what was left of it... ;_;

Not only did it have a horrible dub, it was also chopped up. Macross DYRL or what was left of it... ;_;

Yes, but it had the immortal line, "You can still fight when you're drunk!"

I remember the theme song from Saturday morning cartoons, but I can't remember squat about the show itself. That's a good thing, I take it?

All I remember about it was that the guy who voiced Khyron in Robotech did a similar turn as the villain in the Goshogun half of the show...

Even seeing the words for the theme song written out, I have no recollection of it.

RT. there's no way Protoculture = batteries :lol:

here's a couple more shows to add to the list of shame:

-Ninja Robots

did that show really suck, or was it the dialog change that changed the alien crew into a bunch of cowering pansies?

every attack on the mothership leads to the crew going "what do we do? we can't fight... save us!"

-Saber Rider

not exactly embarrassing, but i know there's something wrong somewhere

-Starfleet

Shiro is not pronounced "Shy-row"

:lol:

That's right, I forgot about the Macek-produced Windaria...what was it called? "Once Upon a Time" or something...?

Yup, and it also was released under just plain "Windaria". While the tale of tragedy remains the same, there were several key differences in the original script that explained a lot of the "WTF?" moments in Macek's version.

Yes, very much so. That theme song WAS pretty catchy though, eh? :lol:

Ya know what really got on my nerves? Hearing "Konya Wa Hurricane" translated and sung in English. I appreciate all the work that was done to fully localize BGC, but MAN was that ever the suck.

But those hackjobs only apply to old classic animus due to censorship, and for robotech, everyone knows the carl macek story....

I guess its a good thing it doesn't happen nowadays?

There is no way Robotech could not win this vote.

The 80s, in terms of anime, were truly dark times when a select few people knew of the beauty of Japanese Anime and rather than share the beauty with the rest of us, they went on an ego trip and tried to "Americanize" it - whatever that means....

I am so happy that we got the internet and now everyone has access to the original series and all of the wonderful history.

Truly, before the internet- life was a bubble!

VFTF1

I voted for Roblowtech but I feel just about any dub is a hack.

I never listen to the dubs if I can help it as I feel that US voice actors (especially the girls) just don't have the vocal range to get across the meaning of the lines like the Japanese do. I feel they tend to over do it which spoils it for me plus as I'm not american the less american accents I have to hear the better ;)

There was the one version that didn't get chopped. PAL kinseki VHS release, forget what else or where it came from...

I liked Clash (un-cut) for the fact that i saw this before the original Jap macross TV series and DYRL?.

So my toleration level was at an all time high before i got to see DYRL? dub version, and it knocked my socks off,

just loved it. But of course that's where i started aquiring all of the original Jap dvds of everything. :D

Yes the voice acting sucked, but it wasn't that bad atleast in my opinion. Wasn't HG trying to aquire dubbing rights ages ago?

I would have to say Robotech as a whole only coz they added SC and Mospeada into a three part bullsh^t.

It pained me as a kid trying to scrounge any information in southern cross of what happened to Rick (lol) and the gang.

I tried hard to like SC though. Nothing was as cool as Robotech, there was Transformers but i'd rather watch

Monkey Magic or Astroboy back then.

Next Generation was awesome, but still depressing, i wanted some closure on the original characters!

But yeah, here we are, still wondering what happened to Megaroad....

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Obviously, this is a skewed poll given the fact that this is a Macross fan site judging Robotech. Having said that much and looking at the entires as objectively as I can, I must say that Robotech still takes the cake for worst anime adaptation simply because of the perpetuation of the horrible English edit. The dedicated attempt to disallow consumers from seeing or purchasing the original Macross also plays a major part in my vote. Granted progress has been made in recent years, but that in no way dismisses nearly two decades censorship.

Runner up would be Nausicaa. Ironically, Nausicaa was the first anime film I had ever seen :)

Obviously, this is a skewed poll given the fact that this is a Macross fan site judging Robotech. Having said that much and looking at the entires as objectively as I can, I must say that Robotech still takes the cake for worst anime adaptation simply because of the perpetuation of the horrible English edit. The dedicated attempt to disallow consumers from seeing or purchasing the original Macross also plays a major part in my vote. Granted progress has been made in recent years, but that in no way dismisses nearly two decades censorship.

Runner up would be Nausicaa. Ironically, Nausicaa was the first anime film I had ever seen :)

Agreed. I believe that for pure hack'n'slash editing, Battle of the Planets is clearly the worst, but Warriors of the Wind is the biggest offender in that it took a classic film and REALLY dumbed it down.

At least in Robotech, the storyline remained largely intact, and characters were allowed to die.

And I dislike Robotech INTENSELY, so for me to say something is worse means that it's REALLY bad.

EDIT: typos.

Edited by Gubaba

I had to pick Warriors Of The Wind, since it was edited to pure shite, but there is an even worse example of a poor western adaptation. Look up "In The Aftermath";

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206827/

Worth watching ONCE to see western live action "improvement" to a re-edited "Angels Egg" anime. It is still the only movie I taped from TV with my thumb hovering above the pause button. Live action? Pause. Animation? Record. Ugh...

I voted for Roblowtech but I feel just about any dub is a hack.

I never listen to the dubs if I can help it as I feel that US voice actors (especially the girls) just don't have the vocal range to get across the meaning of the lines like the Japanese do. I feel they tend to over do it which spoils it for me plus as I'm not american the less american accents I have to hear the better ;)

Roblowtech lol.

The first, PAL DVD Gunbuster release was described by a fellow anime fan as having been butchered by barbarians... :) It was at least subtitled, but that and the fact that it was available was about all it had going for it...

You cannot lump Gunbuster in with these others as it was not adapted for the American market. US Renditions, which was owned by a Japanese firm, provided the translations for the series in an attempt to provide faithful and accurate translations of Japanese anime for fans of the genre. While done poorly, Gunbuster was not Americanized like a lot of the series listed here. Those others were done to appeal to a more broad base of viewer than actual fans.